The RPG Advice Thread

Zac_Rogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Zac_Rogers

I've put up my bio, but now I'm not entirely sure where I should start.

santomelletj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So: this is my first post, or anything i have been writting on comicvine so far, so ANYONE could PLEASE explain me how this works, from the very first!? In what this consists were i have to put the things i want to put and things thath you think "ugh he probably alredy know this" I DONT! so please i want to start creating a character and all that...i might sound like a noob but...that is exactly what i am...

Urban_Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By Urban_Ronin

@santomelletj: Many of us (rpgers) start off with an avatar. The visual representation of what your character looks like. (like if he's a ninja with ice powers Sub-Zero would be a logical option). I would also read the rules. Not all of them, just the basics. Looking at the threads and studying the in and outs of an interaction will help you as well. Sorry if this is short and passive. Its just late and to be honest its going to take some explaining (if nobody offers to mentor you then post back tomorrow and I will take you into the rabbit hole with me)

@zac_rogers: Jumping into a location threads is a good start. A short post about whatever can often times lead to an interaction.

santomelletj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quintus_knightfall: Well i may be annoying...but it looks that nobody wants to be my mentor so, i am taking my carrots and i ready to go

Urban_Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@santomelletj: Below are the basic rules. Start by giving those a glance (if you havent already)

God Modding: God Modding is when you're character automatically succeeds at something another character would have a reasonable chance of preventing. For example you cannot say your telepathy is so powerful it automatically succeeds against another character. Or you are such an amazing hacker you hacked their base defenses and there's nothing they can do about it. When your actions affect others they must be given the chance to defend.

Nothing automatically succeeds at the expense of something that belongs to someone else.

Auto-Hits: This is when someone RP's that their attacks hit another player, without that players consent. You can RP throwing a million mile an hour punch, but no matter what the other character decides the results to their character. Everyone has control over their character. You can't take that away and say something automatically hits.

No-Selling: This is when you RP that all of another persons actions and attacks fail against you. This one is subject to a reasonable standard. Some characters are simple incapable of hurting others due to the powers involved, but please remember that the site isn't just for you to have fun its also for others to have fun. Causing everything they do to fail without exception isn't good RP, and its against the rules.

Controlling Others (without OOC permission): This does not, and should not, require much explanation. Other peoples characters belong to them, they decide what happens. Not you. Please be respectful of what belongs to other people.

Adding Powers in the Middle/During RPGs: Getting your butt kicked? Can't think of a way to win? No problem, just suddenly realize you have the exact power needed to escape your current situation, even though you've never used it before and it doesn't make any sense!

Actually don't, please. This is against the rules for the obvious reasons that its used to 'cheat' without technically god-modding or no-selling. Its just an exploit used to bypass other rules.

This applies within reason, as do all rules. Obviously you can contact the people you are RPing with and ask if they mind you developing a new power (that might even be what the RPG is about). That is between you and them, this rule is meant to prevent exploits, not restrict RP in any way.

santomelletj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By santomelletj

Okay, alredy read, also i think the next step is ceating my character, i have alredy do that (with the help of a topic)

Urban_Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, alredy read, also i think the next step is ceating my character, i have alredy do that (with the help of a topic)

We usually use our actual accounts for creator creation. For example my character's name is Quintus Knightfall. He looks like the avatar I'm using. My bio or character sheet (when I finally get around to re-writing it) would go in the About Me section on my profile page. Though some people put their origins/character sheet in the forum as a single thread. Thats fine too. Right now you're only five posts in so you could theoretically just start over with a new account only this time use your characters name as the user name.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#108  Edited By wildvine  Moderator

I want to make a new magic character, but I'm afraid over overpowering. Is there a rule of thumb?

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

@wildvine: In my opinion there is no such thing as an overpowered character. Only how you write and sell somebody's attack. I'd say anything is fine...but there are no rules, it's all about how you write your character in battle. Selling etc...

Antonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: There is no rule for anything like that; do it as you like, so long as you play it well in practice. Like Pyrogram said. If you want to talk, I'm around.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 wildvine  Moderator

@antonia: I' just not sure how to limit my character. She can't repel any attack with a word or a gesture, ya know? She has to be fallible.

Zauberin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Zauberin  Moderator

@wildvine: It's fine; there are users (myself included) who may have a bit of experience writing magical characters, and would be willing to help. If you want, you can PM me with the general idea, and any and all worries you have, and I'll see what I can do, if I can be any help.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 wildvine  Moderator

@zauberin:

Still in the planning phase. I really want to put some effort into this one. But I will PM you when I have something. And thank you.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: You should expand on that Lady Magic hand thing. Or at least implement that. I loved that entire concept and the way you wrote it.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By wildvine  Moderator

@pyrogram:

Care to expand on that suggestion? More history or whatever?

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: I mean you should just write with that entire concept more. I liked the conflicting personality whenever she had to do something with Zaniel for example, the hand "made her feel bad". You should try and implement that somewhere, somehow. Just the entire essence was catchy.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 wildvine  Moderator
Zauberin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Zauberin  Moderator
_Higgins_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanna be the very best >_>

_Higgins_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By _Higgins_

Like no one ever was <_<

DUN DUN DA DUN!

Tenjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am in need of some advice on somewhat of a broad subject. I have been meaning to give my character depth and I am unaware of anyone else doing this before or at least, doing it successfully. If someone has I would be obliged to know. How would I go about playing Tenjin with Dissociative Identity disorder? I've mentioned/hinted in my origin story that as a child he was severely traumatized; I.E raised in fighting pits, loss of mother, heavily scarred which would imply physical abuse, killing his own father etc. What I didn't delve into much/if at all yet was the aftermath of these events on his mental state. I think it would be logical that a mental disorder would develop under the aforementioned circumstances. I've been researching the subject lightly and believe this would bring the complexity to my character I have been looking for. Anyway, for the questions.

• Being that Tenjin is simply one of Katsuro's (fictional given name) identities would it be necessary to make a "base account" like him as a civilian then make several accounts in regard to each specific Identity? Or, as I have seen, make a blog entry for every personality/character? The latter seems to be the easiest solution but should I make a "Katsuro" account as RPing with Tenjin as the primary would seem confusing if he was "someone else".
  • I would escalate this disorder quite a bit; not really trying to box myself in to a set pattern of defense mechanisms and all that. I don't want to confine him rather expand him. So I suppose it wouldn't really be D.I.D in a way. Example being I don't want him to get hit in the face then "transform" into his assassin personality each and every time. Basically he will have an episode before/during a major event in the RPG community and he would remain that personality throughout kinda disregarding the theory a "hostile" personality was psychological developed to engage his environment when his rather "submissive personality " feels threatened. Though not true for all people with D.I.D this is, in my opinion the majority idea. Ten does not have a submissive personality. What are your thoughts on this? Good Idea? Bad Idea? Whats the best way to go about this?

I have more questions but don't want to bombard the thread. Any input would be golden.

Urban_Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tenjin: It would be more work, but creating individual accounts for each personality/persona/identity, would be badass. I can only speak for myself, but I'm not a fan of a bunch of different characters operating under one account, one avatar. I identify with the Av more then I do the writing (cause the AV is visually always there).

I'm using a different account for Quintus' crime fighting identity (granted, I havent fleshed out its bio yet) and its kinda fun. Sounds like you're thinking about taking it to the next level, and that, I support.

Tenjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Tenjin

@quintus_knightfall Right on, the only reason the multi-account option was on the fence with me is because the beginning post-count limitations is annoying as hell, but its because i never just kick it on the forums to rack in those five posts over five days or whatever. I think the idea is about set in stone now. Good looking out.

Urban_Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tenjin: >_> <_< PM Mercy and ask her about the post-count.

kidman560

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 27

ok an idea is coming to me. id like to start a sort of like Arkham Asylum type thing, but where all the prisoners have gotten loose. A select team must enter it and restore order. this is meant to be like a combined team some street levelers, some mid tiers, some high tiers (no gods jeesh i hate god people!). and im still piecing the idea together, but what do you guys think? @quintus_knightfall@mastermouse@laughingstock@ian_idyll@pyrogram. think it can be pulled off? does it violate any rules? and stuff. like i said its just an idea

Laughingstock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidman560: MMM MAYBE I DUNNO HEHHEHEUEHEUHEUEHEUEHUSBEJSGS

kidman560

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laughingstock: no i meant what do you think about it. i didnt say you had to join, but do you think it would work. kind of like the whole library thing ownage had going

Laughingstock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidman560: SOUNDS PRETTY GUUD HUHEUHEUZHEYCLEANTHEDISHESHEGWHGEWJGEE

kidman560

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EmeraldEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I figured the advice thread was the best place for this question, what are the processes/requirements to creating a new location? Do I need any prior approval or can I create the location on my own? The location is going to be in an existing real world city, but won't have any affiliation with said city other than the fact that it is physically in that city. Do I need to talk to anyone or can I start working on the location page + bio immediately and get it posted?

Amaranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Amaranth
EmeraldEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By EmeraldEagle
Amaranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Constantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#134  Edited By Constantine

Stay Golden Pony Boys

Riley_Rivera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Riley_Rivera

Not sure how to introduce my character into Vine canon. Any ideas? Preferably not a battle.

Edit: Nevermind, already got it.

Strigidae_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LL's guide to roleplaying success

I think there are a lot of people who want to be successful, have good intentions, and work hard.. they just don't know how because no one ever told them. This won't answer every question, it won't solve every problem and its no magic pill.. but it was a good foundation for me and it will be for you too.

Be interested

Be interested in other peoples characters. Be interested in their storylines. Be interested in their future. Display your interest publicly because nothing, and I mean nothing on the face of the planet is a better motivator than the acknowledgement of your peers.

Don't fake it, find someone or something that you are honestly interested in and be open with your interest. You don't need to kiss anyone's behind, you don't need to be hyperbolic about your feelings. Just be honest. It will matter to them, and it will matter to you when someone returns the favor. Do it because it works.

Roleplay with a purpose

What are you getting out of your roleplays? I don't mean roleplay selfishly with only your own ends in mind. That's not a good way to play and you will run off a lot of talented roleplay partners like that. I mean look to your future when you roleplay. When you go into a battle can you turn one battle into a rivalry? Can you turn a single interaction into a relationship of some kind? It doesn't need to be a romantic one, but if you can carry your canon on and build on it you will strengthen both of your characters and solidify both of your places in the universe.

You're the only person that can do this for yourself. Don't sell yourself short by missing opportunities. Take responsibility for your own canon and take control of your characters future.

Be useful to others and they will be useful to you

This is true in a lot of parts of life but here on the vine its incredibly critical because success is so dependent on others. This is the heart and soul of selling. When someone is making an effort to make their character out to be something help them. If someone places emphases the incredible strength of their green rage monster then talk about how mighty they are in your post. If they talk about how fast they are then focus on that. If they are clearly suppose to be an unearthly beauty, play it up. Genius? Make them look smart. That's what selling is at its core.

Its not just for battles either. A lot of times a non-combat scene can be more impressive than a combat scene, especially when trying to establish who the character is in relation to the people around him or her and their place in the world.

Think about what a post and a character are. They're an attempt to tell a story. If Jackie is writing about a super strong green guy that's really angry then those elements are part of the story she is telling. Now imagine that she writes a post that makes her character appear to be physically powerful and the post that you write makes her character look physically weak. You are telling different stories! Furthermore you are telling incompatible stories. She relies on you to tell half of her story. That's a lot of trust if you think about it. So when you decide to tell a different story that's a violation of that trust.

When this happens there is no reason for that person to write with you. Writing with you doesn't tell the story she wants to tell. Sooner or later [probably sooner] she won't be writing with you anymore. If you do it a lot then you'll find most people won't write with you because they are here to tell story A and you are telling story B.

But if you also tell story A... now you've got the magic. Now you have something they want. You have their story. They want that. Its why they logged in, its why they typed, its why they clicked that little green 'Post Reply' button.

They will also help you tell your story, if they are worth anything as a roleplayer. If they don't, don't worry about it; you'll have plenty of people who will.

Don't let this pass you by. This is the entire core of what we are doing. Its why we are roleplayers and not fanfictioners. We each tell a part of someone else's story and they tell a part of ours. I have been here a while and I have seen some excellent writers become completely ignored and even reviled because they were not interested in telling any story but their own. Over time people caught on. People reject those who reject them. Reject their story, they'll reject yours.

Don't let that be you. Become its reversal, someone who helps others tell their story and you will be irreplaceable, admired and wanted because you will have the one thing that everyone wants.

Trinity-Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strigidae_23: So should I tell you you're brilliant twice or will just one time suffice?

Strigidae_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Strigidae_23

@schlampe: I don't know.. go for like three. Just to be sure. Maybe four ;-P

Trinity-Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Trinity-Blue

@strigidae_23: You're brilliant.

You're kind of amazing.

You're so thoughtful.

Strigidae_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Strigidae_23
Trinity-Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strigidae_23: You didn't let me finish. You're also horribly misguided and totally WRONG!!!!!

Strigidae_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pennywisegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How does one start this RPG fun? How does this work?

Maestro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Maestro_
@pennywisegeist said:

How does one start this RPG fun? How does this work?

Make a character, write a bio (if you want, it helps) and just say "Hey, do you want to RPG?" to somebody, and see how it goes :P At least I did that. PM me if you want actual help though.

Avatar image for enoch_val_errys
Enoch_Val_Errys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hy all!

I'm trying to set up my character, and have done my first try. Could someone tell me if it's sort of ok(both from the origina and the power-set point of view).

Thanks!

it's both in the Bio and in my only blog-post

Enoch_Val_Errys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hy all!

I'm trying to set up my character, and have done my first try. Could someone tell me if it's sort of ok(both from the origina and the power-set point of view).

Thanks!

it's both in the Bio and in my only blog-post

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ult_Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Enoch_Val_Errys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lady_liberty: Thanks! i've added abilites and most of the gear, i should start posting when i'm finished.

@ult_nerx said:

@enoch_val_errys: spawning immortality?

I like the sound of that

You, stranger, are quite creepy.

happy you like the power anyway.