The RPG Advice Thread

Supra-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@gripper: I'm not sure if there's an active team thread that's been frontpaged anytime recently, but I wouldn't be surprised if it existed, given the fact that we apparently have ones about what dinosaurs our characters would be if they were dinosaurs.

I've considered making a character index before, and it would include that sort of information. Teams I know of that are active at this very moment are Project Unity, which is made up of Blade-Brave, Gale Xanders, Gaige, and Renegade. There's also Alpha Tri Omega, made up of Afterthought, Weidmann, Little Spark, and Omen. Finally, there's the as-of-yet unnamed team I'm slowly putting together with Maxwell Hastings, Robonard, and one more. That's all in the CVU.

The CVnU has the Shadow Knights, which are Tessa Callahan, Hawkshade, Grimmwald, and Red Reaver.

Gripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supra-man: Thanks. And if you do make a character index about teams, please mention the feel or morals of the team on question.

Could you tell me more about your unnamed team.

Supra-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gripper: So far, Nemo's been building a group up pretty slowly. I've not given it a name or objective yet because I don't want to rush it into existence. There might be a fight soon that semi-solidifies the roster. I put it on the list because it's more of an informal squad than anything, with members shifting in and out based on the mission they go on.

Gripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supra-man: Sounds like a plan. Good luck with it.

Maverick_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gripper said:

What is and who are in Unity?

Unity is a sort of loosely formed group of heroes that could be compared to the Avengers in a lot of ways. Basically, each hero is independent, but they exchange information and assemble for events and such. They've done some events like World Eater,Breaking Wave and it's aftermath Rebuilding. They have no consistent enemies, although some people such as Supra-Man and the Blackbat have confronted and questioned them.They're funded by @gale_xanders (Who is also @the_custodian) so it would be best to PM one of them. I'm not sure if they have a base of some sort so it'd be best to ask him about that.

Gripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maverick_6: Thank you as well,

But the truth is I'm not currently looking for a team, I was just wondering is there an official thread with a list of current teams?

Maverick_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gripper: Whoops!

Nah. Not an updated one.

Supra-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know, I think a character index would actually hurt more than it might help. Questions of priority, which universe they inhabit, people going from active to active, all that might make it do more harm than good. Best to just get to know people the way we have in the past IMO.

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seagod: If you'd like, I could do that. Just let me know what you're going for and I'll do what I can.

LittleSpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gripper:

Thanks to @supra-man: for getting the list started, I'd also bring up that The Heroes of Tomorrow is also an active CVU team. Often canonically referred to as "Teen Team," they're a group of four young women dedicated to heroics, Saturday-morning-cartoon friendship, and terrible text-message habits.

Gripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@littlespark:

Now that sounds interesting, What is the age limit ?

LittleSpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gripper: Teens. I think Marie (Renegade) is 19, Gaige is 18-19, Custodian is 2000 but a weird species so for her that's about 17.

The_Custodian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I feel vaguely summoned.

Dandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello there, I have a quick question.

I’m about to get into a battle here, and I was wondering about consistency in power level, more specifically my durability. For practice I have been fooling around on the counter or sell attack threads, and have discovered that most attacks are not specific in power advantage other than “could destroy a city’ or something like that. Because of this I have been lenient with my durability to best suit the attack just to make it a better read, rather than always being undamaged.

So I’m wondering just how do you decide what a Hulk or Doomsday could tank over what could cut your skin? Specifically when the incoming attack is not so specific?

Yazhun_Sanvun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stomp said:

Because of this I have been lenient with my durability to best suit the attack just to make it a better read, rather than always being undamaged.

This right here is what I always do. But others like to stick to a more defined set of combat stats and specifics. In my opinion vague is good cause it allows for more give and take. And what is rpging battles if neither side is willing to give a little to get a little? Your bio says;

Endurance and Healing Factor

- His Elephant hide, as well as his exposed face, is nearly impervious to all incoming attack known to mankind. However, should he be wounded by a magical or more powerful weapon, he has a highly advanced healing factor that heals even major wounds within seconds.

Reading this I'd say its pretty much up to you what you wanna sell and what you dont. Best answer I got. Hope it kinda helps lol

Stomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yazhun_sanvun: Thanks,

That was just about what I was expecting. The common sense rule!

Noah_Wyatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello... Kinda want to jump into something but not sure where....

Avatar image for deactivated-5ec33d087b387
deactivated-5ec33d087b387

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a quick mechanics question. I'm working on my character and I really like the idea of having a symbiotic relationship with an AI implant, akin to SAM in Mass Effect Andromeda. If you haven't played it, I wouldn't blame you, but, the general gist of the concept is that the AI is hardwired into my character which enhances his: situational awareness, problem solving, and tactical enhancements. The AI is connected to his nervous/circulatory systems and his exteroceptive senses. Seeing and feeling what my characters does. All this translates enhanced/superhuman senses, reflexes and mental processing. But, looking at other peak human characters, like Batman, they were able achieve similar effects just through training and conditioning. I don't know it just feels likes I'm adding in a redundant wrinkle to things. However, it sounds like great character work, writing two in one.

What does everyone think? Should a go for it or should I streamline things?

Grimmwald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cpt_gearheart: I say go for it. It adds a unique layer to your character and opens the door for characterization that a Batman-esque character may not have access to e.g. how your character feels about the AI, the conversations between them etc. But beyond that, your character's AI would be a presence that would offer him solutions to any problem he may not be able to solve on his own. Basically what I'm saying is the AI could also consult your character on certain issues. In any case, I say go for it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grimmwald: Yeah I do love the idea, but It feels more like fluff then something that makes sense within the logic of character and characters like him. (Star lord doesn't have computer in his brain and gets along fine)

Maybe I'm putting to much emphasis on that part of it.

Grimmwald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cpt_gearheart: I say go with whatever you feel makes the most sense for your character!

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cpt_gearheart: What he said. [This is funny because I just had this same conversation (in a sense) twice in the past 24 hours.] Even if the effects are still the same, it can be a lot of fun to explore the nuances between the origin/source of abilities. It'll still change the way you write. Plus, you never know. Having a different point of reference as far as that origin/cause would push you in different directions as far as narrative development, other capabilities you might think of, associations, and interactions with other characters in the universe.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rosso: @grimmwald: I'm going with it, just got to tweak the details to where it works with everything else. Thank you both for your time.

Gripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a question.

What is the rule on God-moding & Selling another persons "Weapon of Choice" when not in there hands. For examples I don't know if I can write I catch a thrown Batarang in my hand and crush it, But I am more concerned with writing a Green Lantern's ring glowing with energy, when not on the Lantern's hand, or at least causing the lights around it to flicker as if drawing in more energy.

In other words is "Selling" a persons "Weapon of Choice" acceptable even if it is not something a Lantern ring would do? When it could be assumed it got more powerful?

Lucian_LeBeau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#626  Edited By Lucian_LeBeau

@gripper:

I used to just write 'attempted to' or 'tried to.'

Gambler attempted to snag the batarang out of midflight and destroy it with a pressurized squeeze.

My next sentence would then most likely follow a choose your own adventure type split. Like;

If successful, with a slight tilt of his confident hand, the Father of Assassins theatrically allowed the fragments to lingeringly drip from his now open grasp. However should he fail, should his reflexes falter, the dangerous projectile would have fond a home in the gloved palm of his hand causing the injured villain to momentarily hiss with anger and pain

Something more or less along those lines. Whenever I have doubts I just slip in a 'tried, or attempted.' You basically put the ball back in the other persons court.

Sorry about the Lantern ring stuff though...I dont think I follow that one. Are you asking if you can 'over-sell?' Like a Lantern fired a simple beam at you but when you sell it you overhype/over-sell its power?

Feral Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#627 Feral Nova  Moderator

@gripper:

I usually do the choose your adventure style that G gave an example of. Gives the option for the other person as well as you.

Or you can just write the 'attempt', 'try to' thing as well.

But you can always ask the person as well. Just a "Hey wanted to ask if it's ok if I catch and crush the batrang" sometimes they'll say yes, sometimes it's a no and sometimes it's a "you can catch it but not crush it" kinda deal. Communication is always best when in doubt.

I'm also not really understanding the lantern ring thing... can you explain that a bit more??

Gripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feral_nova: @lucian_lebeau:

Thank you on the advise about the Batarang,

I'll try to describe my question about the Lantern ring better.

Here is the actual deal, I'm in a game with Shield-Maiden, a Wonder Woman type character. In our game she has removed her "Vambracelets" and is surging with power. My character is trying to get them back to her. So I was wondering, just to add some flair to the game, could I start writing they "The Vambracelets" begin to glow with their own power??

Phantomshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#629  Edited By Phantomshell

@gripper said:

So I was wondering, just to add some flair to the game, could I start writing they "The Vambracelets" begin to glow with their own power??

<--Lucian

Ah I see. In that particular instance I would go with Nova's suggestion and hit Shield Maiden up in a PM and ask her if it'd be okay. She may have a very clear and established set of rules in regards to the way her equipment works and you wouldn't wanna involuntarily neglect the fundamentals of her bracers.

Gripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gripper said:

So I was wondering, just to add some flair to the game, could I start writing they "The Vambracelets" begin to glow with their own power??

<--Lucian

Ah I see. In that particular instance I would go with Nova's suggestion and hit Shield Maiden up in a PM and ask her if it'd be okay. She may have a very clear and established set of rules in regards to the way her equipment works and you wouldn't wanna involuntarily neglect the fundamentals of her bracers.

I guess I'll have to ask her. I just wanted it to be a surprise!

Phantomshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gripper: Right? I feel ya. Never been a big fan of having to reveal my IC moves cause it does, it does ruin the surprise. You could always just write it and if there is an issue go back and edit afterwards but really...whatever surprise it would have been has already been revealed in this thread :/

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm wonder how detailed is too detailed. Not in the sense of descriptors, I get being too long winded bores people, I'm talking in the realm of character stats. I feel like I'm too specific.

Peak Human Strength: Johan's muscle fibers are the pinnacle of human potential. He is able to press/lift around 1,100 pounds and strike with more psi force then what has been recorded for heavyweight boxers. This also extends to his leg muscles, Johan is capable of leaping a distance of thirty feet(9m) and ten feet(3m) straight into the air.

Should I be a little more yadda yadda with things to give myself my room to work? How often do people typically face a situation where they swing above their norms?

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

@cpt_gearheart: This seems okay for what you are describing. You are giving examples and giving some limits to what you can do.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shadowswordmaster: I know keeping concise is on me, but I feel I might write a scene that's kinda bs without knowing it, because I don't have best understanding of physics.

Lucian_LeBeau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

but I feel I might write a scene that's kinda bs without knowing it, because I don't have best understanding of physics.

Its comics man. A little 'bs' is not only expected, its healthy.

No Caption Provided

Just the fact that you're self-aware enough to worry about it indicates that you'll be just fine imo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lucian_lebeau: I know, I know. I'm fine with things not realistically accurate, but it should follow the rules, even if they're made up :D

Lucian_LeBeau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cpt_gearheart: I mean, I'm not suggestion you go kray kray and start pulling magic carpets out the ass (....that'd be an interesting power though...) but if you really wanna get a handle on the applications of powers/abilities & physics, you should talk to Impero/Grimmwald. Dudes a freakin encyclopedia of genius level knowledge.

_Araneae_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cpt_gearheart:

The simplest and truest answer is that you should just do what feels right.

In a bio, it's extremely common for people to give details the way you did there. It's the way they're done in the wiki and often elsewhere too, and it makes for easy classifications, especially depending on how specific you do or don't feel like getting. Some people might go for vagueness and just give - more or less - a range of capability, or some sort of example [such as "can lift __ tons with (little, moderate, or extreme) difficulty"] which gives a fairly closer idea of strength without boxing them in. So you could still push it in case someone takes issue with the fact "your bio says he can lift 10 tons and you just had him move a 12-ton slab off of him."

Mostly it tends to depend on just how far you branch outside that range and how you sell it. Probably most folks wouldn't take issue if your bio said you can push 10 tons and in RP you push a 12-ton slab of fallen building. But if your bio says 10 is your max and you go evenly match a 20-tonner without a solid explanation how that limit was pushed, you might get some funny looks.

And it happens a fair bit, people pushing their norms. Most people try to keep it sparing to avoid that whole "constant power creep" feeling, and people often go for first establishing the new limit in an RP with someone they're familiar and comfortable with. Sometimes you build a rapport with an RPer to the point that you have certain unspoken understandings, and they just don't mind creative licenses. In other cases, if you're concerned about "overstepping" and might edit, there's always the ol' "PM and check their mileage," or "go for it and gauge reactions."

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll settle for blades out thin air :P But thanks for the feedback.
I'll settle for blades out thin air :P But thanks for the feedback.

@lucian_lebeau:

@_araneae_: I personally like the rigidness to keep me honest, with the only power jumps coming from intended upgrades, I just hope people down mind the one or two inadvertent gaps in logic. Thank you for your time.

_Araneae_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

keep me honest

With that mentality you're already off to a healthy start. It can often take newbies a while to learn that the best/most exciting/most memorable moments don't really come from your character being the most powerful around or having a ready-made counter to every situation made easy in the bio. It'll also give you somewhere to go as the character develops, making adjustments as the character moves on. More dynamic growth range and story arcs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_araneae_: I was of that mind set in the early stages, tying to map out this big time weapon or power suit etc but it became a little too daunting so I keep it as simple as possible to start with.

Red_Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, I’ve been meaning to do this for some time but I need some advice. I’m trying to introduce my new character Blood Bolt in an Rp, nothing too major, just to show everyone what he could do and stuff. But I have never made a public rp before, does anybody have a few tips?

Avatar image for ivana_strigidae
Ivana_Strigidae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@red_jay: Sure.

One thing I use to do was what I called connect and commit. C2 for short. In my opinion this was one of the most important factors in an RPGs success. You want as many connections between your character and other active characters as you can. This can take many forms. For example, in Amaranth's time he would go around making alliances with other characters and teams before his RPGs launched. This fit his character as an alliance building tactician. A hero might make contacts with other heroes, a villain might forge alliances with other villains and so forth. Commit is the second part; you want your character to get their character (ICly) to commit to arriving at the event and participating.

Why?

Because the opening of an event is the most important part and you want to remove as many barriers to participation as you can. The first barrier people have is 'Does my character know about this and if they do, why would they be involved?' You make it super easy for them; their character has IC knowledge because your character told them about it and they are involved because they agreed to be involved.

(This doesn't work for all types of events which is part of why some kinds of events are more successful than others.)

Red_Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ivana_strigidae: ohhhh ok, I’m going to hold off on that rp for a while, thank you though :)

Referee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is more of a question than need for advice.

But could someone suggest, for reading purposes and fun only, a game where a street level character (like a Batman) was fighting a power house character (like a Superman) without any prep time!

I just feel it would be a thrilling story to read.

Micro-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@referee: You could do something like a street level character breaking into a facility, the result being the accidental release of said powerhouse. For whatever ever reason, a fight could take place.

Red_Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That reminds me of that one fight...

Micro-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers