The House of Spiders (Location, Training, & Mentorship Thread)

• 63 results
Tenjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@red_jay: I know you haven't been active super long but I am impressed with your writing already. I first jumped on the Vine, 12 years ago and my first year here I wasn't writing what you are. (I was Generation 6; we kept track of that in those ol' days) Back then, it was like the Wild West and a trip down a memory lane for me when I think of the huge team vs. team story battles. But had a lot of people pumping out crazy story arcs and character development for everyone to participate in.

For me, the Vine has come a long way due to previous writers and subsequent ones mentoring each other and constantly improving from one another progressively. That history is still here.

With that being said, I am gonna murder Red Jay xD

CutthroatBitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tenjin: It makes all the sense. Naturally, you'd be likely to pick up orthographic traits and tendencies of those you're most exposed to, especially given background and being in such close proximity during your formative years as writers/RPers. (Mostly I used to get mistaken for Mercy or Nova. Then...variable.) Lady didn't just come before me either. She was the Dre to my Eminem; the Yomi to my Kagura; the Angeal to my Zack and the Zack to my Cloud. She'd planned her retirement for good (or "for good") and it wasn't outta nowhere; I at least hoped I'd get to deal with Ivana and Amaranth before she vanished, maybe catch a trophy, but I've tried to just pay it forward now. (Although I haven't taken it upon myself to actually be anyone's mentor. I just kinda spam rambles under the guise of "advice.")

Well-said. It feels right, especially when you think or know there's little chance of the person coming back full-time (or at all). (Or even sometimes when just a certain character seems to be retired.) Cathartic, in a sense. The trick - for me at least - is in not doing too much. I still haven't read back on my Death & Dusklight posts, partly because I'm afraid I might've done too much "paying homage," and that's honestly one of those things that I think will just be impossible for me to judge from the outside. I no longer have my Ideal Reader so now I kinda go for general reaction or appropriate the audiences, but one of the core foundations of Anastasia's character is where--or rather, whom--she came from. I also just struggle with the whole "murder your darlings" thing. >_>

Red_Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tenjin said:

@red_jay:

With that being said, I am gonna murder Red Jay xD

You are welcome to try!

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#54  Edited By Darkchild

Holy hell I remember this place

Tenjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cutthroatbitch: Nice, I feel the same with LL, obviously I was not remotely as close to her as you were but Ivana had a profound impact on my character; she is one of two people to have ever killed Tenjin twice. The other was over ten years ago with Warsman. Wars and I went back and forth as we grew during the OG days but Ivana was the first in a literal decade. Never had the chance to catch a trophy or get payback. I wasn't active during the Amaranth (or Charlemagne) arcs which in retrospect I wish I had been. She was/is a phenomenal writer and I always loved reading her IC posts. It is a great 'legacy' to have.

I wish I could pay forward whatever usefulness my knowledge of RPing/writing is, this was the original point I had this thread in mind for. If I was active more often I would like to pass the torch so to speak to an upstart player. I had a couple "Tenjin's Tips" posts that I did years back I might drop another soon.

I understand that completely, with homage and the writing direction/intent. I often find myself writing for the general reader, but I would be lying if I didn't wish I had my Ideal Reader in mind when I post.

Murdering your darlings I could never grasp either; I am far too emotionally invested in my characters (outside of CV, T cannot really die so I don't have this dilemma here.) to have them die a permanent death. lol

Tenjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@red_jay: Ha! I still got to mention how Ten knows you (I have a dope idea I just need to implement it)

CutthroatBitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By CutthroatBitch

@tenjin: Yeah...I try not to dwell on it too much because that's a fast path to regret and depression. Appreciate what was there, but otherwise learn to shrug my shoulders and say "Shikata ga nai." (Varying degrees of difficulty at any given moment.)

I remember Tenjin's Tips! Not most of the specifics but I remember the posts coming out periodically. If nothing else, you've got an interesting location thread. (Be a shame if someone were to...stumble upon it.)

Oh no, I mean "murder your darlings" in the way Stephen King mentioned, in the sense of...you know when you've got a really "neat" passage you've written - a sentence, a phrase, or a whole paragraph - something you're really particularly proud of for any number of reasons? But then you go back and realize it's a bit self-indulgent? Sometimes it's a simple bit of purple prose. Sometimes it's not, but still you find it doesn't fit with everything else you've got written, or maybe it just offsets the pacing, or there are just other better paths forward? "Kill your darlings" as in the willingness to purge passages like that in the case when you know they could or should be cut. It's one of those things I'm aware of, but still occasionally struggle with.

Feral Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#58 Feral Nova  Moderator

She's the word 'spiders' in the title

Image result for nope out gif

Tenjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cutthroatbitch: Understandable it all comes and goes in my opinion, at any rate you are crushing it here. Reading your prose I can feel an emotive-ness in your characters that is unique. I tend to focus more on atmosphere and action, but the inner qualities of the character is often (by myself included) overlooked and that very human condition, in a world were people shatter moons and fire lasers from their hands, makes the character incredibly interesting to read. I say this as nigh purely Battle RPGer, where often I look forward to the following post concerns "Man, what attack are they gonna do next? Will the telegraph? or maybe it hits and they send something crazy back at me." So when I read a character heart-broken or joyous from someone in a community I participate in, it's investing and I look forward to it for a completely different reason.

I originally planned to produce 5-6 Tips posts and culminate the other writers' feedback into a larger Magnum Opus. Haha but yeah, in any case, I get a spooky mountain-top fortification! (Welcome to stumble upon it whenever)

Ohhhh I see. I have a copy of his "On Writing" somewhere around my place but honestly haven't opened it. I can see what you mean. I don't re-read my own works because we are all our own worst critics. I have the habit of being extraordinarily purple lol (I would argue for my own benefit it is "poetic" xD) But I also think it depends on the person's favored genre and further, the era of their own favorite writers. Like we talked about with Mentors and close friends RPing, the published fiction you read reflects on your writing style. (A good example of this is I read a lot of Poe specifically, also mainly Victorian and Pulp era so its reflective on my lengthy descriptions and word choices) Editing in such a way is certainly beneficial, I can relate as well. From a Battle perspective, a wordy long-winded sentence can offset the action scene you are attempting to create, slowing the tempo and can be distracting.

Tenjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feral_nova: Puts googly eyes on the spiders with Elmers glue and crate paper all over

No worries! They obviously are harmless! Look at those silly pinatas!

....stands in front of a closet filled with dead bodies

DwRonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tenjin:

The snap of the freezing wind kept Ozzy Winters mind on his journey ahead, instead of the last year of misfortune and devastation behind him. He would not think about how he was reverted back into a brain washed assassin, with an extremely high body count of innocent. He would not think about all the friends he had lost and left behind. He would not think about the fresh oath he made to not find himself in a room full of loved ones ever again. Ozzy did not think, Ozzy instead ascended the many steps before him.

No Caption Provided

Thanks to the ensuing blizzard, Little could be seen before him. It was as if he was being swallowed by a white abyss, with only two or three steps ahead of him in sight. He was criminally underdress for the occasion, wearing a carhartt sweatshirt, a black beanie, and a thick pair of sweatpants. Clothes that he had "found" over time, not having any money. It wasn't the type of outfit you'd wear in this type of expedition. The left sleeve was knotted at the shoulder, his cybernetic arm not attached.

The former hero had decided to go on a journey of self discovery and made a rule that he wouldn't bring any weapons with him. If fate had plans to throw danger his way, he would accept it. Still, this did not mean he was defenseless. As a new friend of his had describe him, Ronin was bent, but not broken. He could defend himself against most men quite easily, even without his weapons or cybernetic arm. Luckily for him, or maybe the ones that would challenge him, he hadn't run into much trouble. He did run into a couple of Tokyo based, Yakuza muscle hassling a group of teenage girls, but they were sleeping before they knew what hit them and the school girls were too scared to see who their rescuer was. Still, Ronin had a sneaking suspicion that the lack of trouble surrounding him was going to end soon.

The Shinobi Avenger had found himself in a small fishing village at the bottom of Mount Kobushi hugging the Arakawa River. He was only there for a night before a small boy in rags ran up to him, handling him a letter decorated with a Spider seal. He tried to wave down the child, but the boy seemed terrified and he decided to let him go. He read the letter many times that night. Ronin promised himself he'd stay out of trouble, but how could he say no to an invitation to a place he thought was a myth? If there was an answer to that question, he did not look for it, instead leaving that morning.

No Caption Provided

Tightly gripping the strap of his bookbag on his right shoulder, he strained his eyes to finally, thankfully, see the blur of a building ahead of him. If it wasn't for his almost superhuman constitution, he would think he was imaging it. How could something like this truly be hiding here. Honestly part of him thought this was all a joke and the stairs would lead no where, but no. The House of Spider, a place he had only heard whispers of, was very real and had sent him an invitation, but why? Why would they ask for his presence during such a low point in his life? He wasn't sure, but there was only one way to find out.

Ronin had seen many amazing sights in his time of traveling the globe, but nothing had ever made him breathless as this place did. The Citadel had such a way of looming over whoever stood before it, as if it was judging the persons fortitude, deciding if the man before him was worthy of entering it's holy grounds. Assuming the building would not vocally let it's distain of Ronin be known, he decided to push open the doors before him.

Tenjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Tenjin

@dwronin:

Twin iron doors screeched open, echoing throughout the walls of the courtyard. The wanderer emerged from their tall shadows amongst a cascading blizzard. And what awaited him was a walkway lined with strangely burning braziers, whose fires should have been ripped away in the tempest winds. At the center of the walkway, stood a figure contrasting the winter scape clad in a black kimono. His face was as pale as the snow around him with twin burning red eyes staring towards at the Shinobi Avenger. He was the master of this summit and the fortifications which sat upon it.

I have been expecting you, Umbral Soldier.” His voice seemed to traverse through the air like a poltergeist. “If you will follow me.

The legends that surrounded Tenjin and his host of shadow dwelling shinobi were well known in the prefecture, although few have dared to climb to search for the truth in myth. The Fatal Phantom spoke nothing as he lead Ozzy into a large room that was sparsely decorated albeit held a spartan regalness. Shadows dancing eerily in his presence, in some moments, as if ghastly hands outstretched down and across the long cobwebbed hall.

Then, breaking through the low groans and creaks of the winds upon the walls, his voice boomed once more from beyond canine-like teeth like daggers fashioned from pearls.

I’ve summoned you here Mr. Winters because you speak the language of the sword. And in times such as these, this is only communication my enemies will come to understand. I am in need of another who will orate the blade on my behalf.

Tenjin paused his pacing, his hands once clasped behind his back now afront and beckoning Ronin to take a seat at a large ornate table of western tradition, uncommon within the confines of the House, which is of the most traditional fashioning.

Katsuro soon took his seat across from his guest. Candles were the only luminance, likewise throughout all of his compound save for war rooms. An empty silver plate before him and he held no notions of consuming the vast prepared foods that lay across the table; namely game birds, venison, autumn vegetables and portions of rice. No one had ever seen him eat and tonight would be no different.

Even amongst the soft light of candles and the relative warmth of the room, an infernal yet mild coldness began to originate from Katsuro’s position.

I am aware that many foes have lain dead at your feet...we have that in common. Yet, I have to know about a certain incident in Tokyo, Yakuza I am told, why didn’t you slay them? When such a task would have been so fulfilling given the circumstances?” The Grim Ghost seemed to have awaited a reply, his eyebrow raised in curiosity as scarlet eyes appeared to search Ronin’s very soul. A silence haunted the room before Tenjin continued, not allowing for a reply, merely to let his question hover in the background of their discourse.

On to other matters. I believe you are familiar with the Shadow Syndicate? These are my enemies, for what cause, more elaborate reasons shall be explained in due time. But most importantly, for your interest...and between us...” Katsuro leaned his mighty arm against the table, in his other he twisted a goblet by its stem, musing over engravings momentarily, a deathly slow frost began to creep up the vessel.

I want to incite a war.” His words were spoken with cold soberness.

Now, he truly awaited his guest’s response.

DwRonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By DwRonin

@tenjin:

The physics defying flames did little to warm Oz, in fact all he felt was a a growing chill crawling up the back of his spine. By the sight of this place, Ronin was beginning to believe his metaphoric description of a living Citadel should be taken more literally. His senses were dulled thanks to the hours he had traversed the winter storm, but his eyes were still capable of picking up on ninja slinking around the walls and rafters. He was sure at any moment his life would be stolen away from him, from any and all direction.

Ronin's eyes fell on his host. The man before him did not look human and even though no words of ill will fell from his lips, Oz felt the sense that a primal threat was before him. "Genshokage..." The name Ronin whispered as thoughtlessly as letting out a breath of air. Accompanied with a look of awe, Oz had revealed his awe of the 'man' before him. It was only for a second and just a breathless whisper, but he was sure Tenjin would pick up on it.

When the title of "Umbra Soldier" was spoken, thoughts began to click for Oz. He didn't need to hear the man's reason for calling him, he already knew. Still, he wouldn't inquire and let the man speak. Disguising his silence as a symptoms of the cold, he rubbed his body for warmth. Listening to his inhuman voice, Ronin's fears were correct. Like many others before him and probably after, Katsuro Hanzo Yamamoto wanted to use Ozzy Winters as a weapon. Little did the Genshokage know, Ronin was no longer that weapon, no longer The Umbra Soldier. Still he'd listen to what his host had to say, reason being of self preservation and honestly....curiosity.

No Caption Provided

Walking into the dinning hall, Ronin couldn't help but marvel at the copious amounts of food. He was hungry, starving even, but he knew better than to eat food in a possibly haunted evil ninja temple. Still, he sat across from the the mythical swordsman. As the question of the Yakuza' lives were raised, Ronin tapped into the reservoir of undying fortitude to meet Tenjin's demon-like eyes and close off his true self. As short as the silence was between the two, it was tenfold as powerful. Matching Tenjin's cold infernal, one of intense willpower from Ronin met it.

Finally the head of The House of Spiders spoke, his words causing even more dread to fill the room. The Shadow Syndicate? If they were this man's enemy, it spoke even further of Tenjin's darkness. The Shadow Syndicate were told to be men of high morality and to insight war with them? That would cause the death of many innocence, something Ronin couldn't allow. Maybe this was how he could make up for the cruelty his hands were responsible for.

"It's an honor to be here," Ronin spoke truth, whether his morality lined up with Tenjin or not, he had respect for the man he once believed was myth, for ability alone. "And the idea of such....glorious battle sounds very...fulfilling, as you put it, but it sounds messy." Oz spoke with a cold tone of his own, examining an ancient Japanese painting above Tenjin's head. "I'll need to know why you want this done. What's the end game? And how can it help me? What's the return on such a heavy risk?"