The Demon’s Fist

agentxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By agentxx

@Nordok: "Well with our current resources we can make only one a month, but if one of our associate agrees to deliver us the much needed resources we need we can make up to a hundred a month"Cameron replied back honestly"though we have another product to compensate for the wait"

Nordok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152  Edited By Nordok  Moderator

@Sonnenlicht: (I would imagine that he would have installed failsafes for just such a contingency, I certainly would have, lol).

@agentxx: He nodded. "Indeed. Well, if your associate is unsuccessful, or perhaps even if he is not, I may be able to arrange something. However, I am getting ahead of myself. Do please continue."

Sonnenlicht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By Sonnenlicht
@Nordok
(Darn it, Nord, don't ruin my funny thought!)
agentxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By agentxx

@Nordok: "Sheet numbers" a image replaced the previous one

"what's more effective and entertaining than watching your enemies get overwhelmed by sheer numbers, just imagine a near infinite force of machines slowly and steadily weakening your enemy as they struggle to survive"

Nordok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By Nordok  Moderator

@agentxx: "Yes," Nordok replied, "I've used a similar tactic, though with bio-engineered organic soldiers. Still, there have been instances where using a fully mechanized army would have been advantageous."

agentxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By agentxx

@Nordok: "Well our T-100 and T-200 battle droids will possibly be more effective, you see we decided to down the quality just enough to make up with quantity, while organic soldiers can be useful an army a million times larger may prove to be better and even when these machines are destroyed or damage they can be recycled after the battle for further use in making others thus saving you more resources than you would with an organic army, just think about it no food,water, or even oxygen is necessary for them to survive not even biological viruses can harm them they are also more resilient than organics plus much quicker to produce...we have our best factory create a complete T-100 in thirty seconds and a T-200 in sixty"

Nordok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By Nordok  Moderator

@agentxx: "Indeed." Nordok's image once again nodded. "This brings us to the matter of compensation. I have a great number of resources that I can easily convert into whatever form of currency you prefer to deal in, or I can provide you with said resources directly, materials that are generally not available on your planet, or even within your immediate solar system."

agentxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By agentxx

@Nordok:Cameron made a some what flirty laugh as she spoke"You tell us the amount and we tell you the price"

Nordok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Nordok  Moderator

@agentxx: "Can you deliver 50,000 T-200s, twice that many T-100s, and 5,000 Enforcers? That number should be sufficient for a small project that I am planing. Should I pleased with their performance in that arena, more orders will follow."

agentxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By agentxx

@Nordok: "The T-100's and T-200's will be ready in six earth days, however unfortunately due to the lack of our resources we can only provide five enforcers in six earth days"

Nordok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Nordok  Moderator

@agentxx: The image shimmered slightly as it nodded. "What resources do you find yourself lacking?"

agentxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By agentxx

@Nordok: "A couple thousand tons of adamantium and vibranium and a few hundred tons of plutonium"

Nordok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Nordok  Moderator

@agentxx: "I will see that they are acquired. It may take some time, but broadening the scope of the search to include several star systems should expedite it somewhat."

agentxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By agentxx

@Nordok:A bit curious Cameron tilted her head"If you don't mind me asking, where are you?'

Nordok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By Nordok  Moderator

@agentxx: A hint of a smile played at the corners of the Ancient's mouth. "I am presently in another sector of the ship. I am in the process of 'recruitment,' you might say."

agentxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By agentxx

@Nordok:Cameron nodded understandingly "Just between you and me, what's your assessment or opinion of A.I's? do you like them,despise them?" Cameron was obviously concerned since she herself was a machine in disguise.

Nordok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Nordok  Moderator

@agentxx: "Intelligence is intelligence, regardless of its origin, Ms. Banks. In a tactical sense, it has its strengths and weaknesses, the same as intelligence from an organic source. I make extensive use of AIs in my Imperium, including one of my command staff."

agentxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By agentxx

@Nordok: "Hypothetically speaking what would you say or think if I myself was an A.I?"

Nordok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Nordok  Moderator

@agentxx: "I would say that your designer must be extraordinarily talented, but beyond that, it changes nothing. You will find that I do not consider organic life to possess the inherent superiority that so many ascribe to it."

agentxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By agentxx

@Nordok:Cameron nodded"I was wondering if you can do a personal favor for me?"

Nordok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Nordok  Moderator

@agentxx: "I consider myself to be a reasonable being. As such, I am nearly always willing to entertain proposals."

agentxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By agentxx

@Nordok: "My brother is making enemies as we are expanding, I was wondering if you can provide protection for him in case we can't handle it"

Nordok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Nordok  Moderator

@agentxx: "As I am interested in the continuation of our business arrangement, I do have some motivation to see that your brother remains whole. I will require more information in order to be able to provide appropriate security, however. What manner of enemies do you feel he may be vulnerable to?"

agentxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By agentxx

@Nordok: "We,...may possibly be enemies of the Keresh and The Justice League international according to my calculations...we can handle the league alone with difficulty but with the Keresh helping them we won't stand a chance"

Nordok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Nordok  Moderator

@agentxx: Nordok was silent for a moment, his face an unreadable mask. "I see..." he began, slowly, "I have no great love of 'heroes;' I find them to be disproportionately idealistic and prone to disrupting the natural order of the universe for what they call 'moral' reasons. I would certainly have no qualms against protecting your brother against the League. The Keresh, however, are an entirely different matter. I have gone to great lengths to cultivate cordial relations with the commander of the contingent that are stationed in this sector, and I am unwilling to undermine my own efforts."

"This is not to say, however," he continued, raising two fingers to forestall the inevitable objection, "that I cannot still be of assistance. Though diplomacy is not my forte, I do maintain a staff skilled in diplomatic relations. Perhaps if you gave me more detail concerning your conflict with the Keresh, I might be able to arrange a mediation."

agentxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By agentxx

@Nordok:Cameron nodded gratefully "We'd be extremely grateful not to become enemies of the Keresh, I will send you the details soon"

Sonnenlicht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By Sonnenlicht

This dude can beat the Justice League? And he's supplying an otherworldly villain with weapons? Yeah, someone should definitely "take care of" this guy!  

From a Quickster perspective. Sonnenguy can live in outer space and wouldn't really get the destruction (or whatever possibilities) of earth or why it would be important. At least not yet..

Nordok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By Nordok  Moderator

@agentxx: "I look forward to receiving them, Ms. Banks. As far as protection from the League goes, I think I have a proactive solution in mind. Your brother already seems to have ample protection of a technological nature, so I will assist you in shoring up your defenses in other areas. I will provide him with a personal bodyguard of Grizzlon warriors, as well as send several of the Shadow Brethren to inspect your facilities and put arcane defenses in place."

agentxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By agentxx

@Nordok:"Thank you Nordok, and don't worry were not helpless as we speak my brother is also creating a device that will even the odds to our favor in case they do attack us"

Nordok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Nordok  Moderator

@agentxx: "That pleases me; I prefer allies that take a proactive approach to potential threats. The Grizzlons will assemble and return to your world with you; they will willingly die in your brother's defense, but they will be under strict orders to take no offensive action against any Keresh agent. The Shadow Brethren will need some time to prepare, but their usual technique is to weave a Sphere of Disjunction around your most critical facilities. Once in place, the Sphere will prevent the use of any magic within its confines. Spells will fizzle, divination or teleportation of an arcane nature will be blocked, summoned beings will be banished, and magical weapons and objects will cease to function as such."

agentxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By agentxx

@Nordok: "we are very grateful for your help Nordok"Cameron said gratefully

Nordok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By Nordok  Moderator

@agentxx: "Excellent." The projection rose from its seat. "Well, unless you would like to discuss further business, I'm afraid I must turn my attention elsewhere. You are free to remain aboard as long as you like; the Grizzlon contingent is assembling in the hangar to await your departure."

agentxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By agentxx

@Nordok: "I would like to remain on board a little longer if you don't mind, as for business I think were done"

Nordok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Nordok  Moderator

@agentxx: The projection nodded. "As you wish. Please enjoy the facilities. Should you need assistance, do not hesitate to approach a member of my security forces. It has been a pleasure conducting business with you, Ms. Banks." With that, the image faded from existence.

Avatar image for naamah_obyzouth
Naamah_Obyzouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#185  Edited By Naamah_Obyzouth

Bushwhacked for a spell.

Naamah lay strapped to a blunt, cone-shaped heartshield with a hundred miles of Solars atmosphere to fall through yet. The edges of the 2’000-degree fireball created by the shockwave of her recently licked and danced at the edges of her vision. A small taste of hell, she thought, as the contraption under her back wobbled and threatened to overturn.

When the roaring abated, Naamah cracked free of the crude heartshield and ran her spacesuit through a self-check. Even with the protection of the ablative plastics she’d ridden down out of orbit, the suit had become a bit toasty.

However within tolerances. Inside, Naamah only broke a gentle sweat. She threw the blackened cone away from her and reoriented herself to face downward. Dirty brown and yellow clouds choked the world below her as far as she could see. The planet Solar in all its glory: sulfuric acid-laced clouds, crushing pressure, no breathable atmosphere. Not somewhere most would call home.

A quick look straight below again. It really didn’t feel like she was moving faster than the speed of sound. She’d survived deorbiting in nothing more than a spacesuit and a personal heartshield. But now the tricky part approached.

A tiny buzz in Naamah’s ears got her attention. She yawned, eardrums popping. The long black hairs on her head, bunched up inside her helmet, whipped against each other as a young-sounding male voice piped up in Naamah’s helmet. The man sounded bored with a side of professional neutral. For the man behind that particular voice, this was just another shift, just another day.

“Unidentified reentry vehicle, this is Darnex Port Authority, come in.”

"Hello Darnex,"Naamah said. The spacesuit's radio still worked. That would be helpful.

"Yes, unidentified vehicle, your transponder seems to be down."

Naamah threw out her arms to maximize drag. "I don't have a transponder."

"That is a finable offense ma'am," the voice replied. "What are you deorbiting in? We are having trouble tracking you."

Naamah explained the situation in brief while scanning the horizon with her crystal clear blue eyes. There was a long pause on the other end. Then a polite cough. "You deorbited with a handmade heartshield and an armored spacesuit?"

"The situation was complicated. Can you do me a favor? I need you to provide me with coordinates. Where am I, where I'm headed, and where I might be able to land."Eventually this slowing parabola would end.

A brief off-mic murmur drifted by. "Unidentified... just please hold." She wasn't going anywhere. Naamah caught the glimmer of a far-off structure, a tiny thread reaching up from the clouds into the dark depth of space. Shame that hadn't been an option. A lot less excitement to just take an elevator down to one of Solars floating cities. At the bottom of the thread might even be Darnex and the somewhat surprised Port Authority officials who'd started the day out thinking today would be a day like any other.

"Ma'am?"

"Still here," Naamah said.

"What is your name, ma'am?"

"Contessa Luna Vondarsuxx."Naamah's last alias. Over the last few years working as an assassin, spy, and general all-around weapon of mass destruction, she had gotten used to a regular rotation of false names. In centuries before that, she could clearly remember many more identities and names. A crisp, older, and quite officious woman joined the discussion."Ms. Vondarsuxx, voice identification has been confirmed. Ms. Vondarsuxx, you are aware that you are wanted for the murder of the entire crew of the Rakieks Professional."

"Ah." Naamah nodded. That would come up.

"Well, Ms. Vondarsuxx, this is quite an unorthodox methodology for deorbiting yourself, and you must realize that even if you survive you'll still be a wanted criminal. We are scrambling recovery vehicles for you right now. When you pop your parachute we will pick you up. But I am being asked to explain your rights before you are picked up. In the event that the pickup is not successful, would you like to enter a plea for prosperity and name legal counsel to continue your defense in event that you are not present for your trial?"

"No need for that crap... I did it." Naamah sniffed.

"Your confession may not stand up due to the peculiar circumstances. Can you elaborate?"

Not that long for details."About that rescue effort... One little problem,"she said."I don't have a parachute."

Silence from Darnex filled her helmet as they digested that."You don't have a parachute?"The original male voice sounded shocked."Are you committing suicide?"the woman asked just after him."Spaceships don't routinely include parachutes in their manifest,"Naamah muttered."Particularly ones where no one expected anyone from the ship to ever dip into the orbital well."

The clouds rose faster, gaining definition. She could see lumpy clumps, and long whisps scattered behind those larger formations.

"So here is what I need," Naamah said. "You need to tell me where the nearest city is."

"But without a chute..."

"Terminal velocity at city height is a hundred twenty miles an hour. As some aboard the Rakieks found out, I'm not easily breakable. You help me hit a city, you either get to pick up my body, or come arrest me."

"You'll endanger others, you're a projectile."

"I'll hit one of the farm levels." Naamah promised. "Besides, you'll want to hear my side of the story."

More off-mic chatter between the two people watching over her. Then they returned. "What did happen there? We still need more details."

"I didn't start it," Naamah said. "I just replied... in kind."

Several minutes later she angled herself towards a glint of clouds. She'd slowed down over the long minutes to just over a hundred miles an hour. She was still going to make a dent.

"Darnex." The glint grew into a round silvery shape just above the puffy yellow and orange clouds. Naamah felt she might as well tie things up, just in case she didn't make it. "I'm sending you a prerecorded burst. It explains everything."

If Darnex, or any other of Solars floating cities, paid attention to her warning, they might live. But Naamah doubted it. The invasion of Solar would begin soon enough, in fits and starts. If she survived the impact, she might be able to help rouse its populace to defend itself. A round silver city hurtled toward Naamah. They said relax before major impacts, but it was going to hurt either way. She was in a weakened state, due to magic based attacks from the conflict that had forced her into this predicament. With just one last-second adjustment to aim herself at the green band of farm section of a giant floating city, Naamah tensed before the hit.

CCCCCCRRRRRRAAAAAASSSSSSHHHHHHTTTTTTHHHHHHOOOOOOOMMMMMM !!!

Naamah_Obyzouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By Naamah_Obyzouth

The day Homer and his friend Lipton saw the alien, everything changed. Outside the spherical floating city of Valloon, a hundred thousand feet over the ground, the winds had died. The forecast from the Solarian cities, with their satellites and computers, gave Valloon a seven-hour window. The city could anchor over the ground safely, without fear.

“Homer, it’s time,” his mother had said gently as she woke him that morning. He’d heard the old phone ring, and he knew what it heralded as he blinked the extra sleep from his eyes. Time to descend into hell again, he thought to himself.

Homer had donned his cumbersome pressure suit with the help of a mechanic as the doctor Esther watched. The mechanic checked over every seal and joint, making sure Homer stood ready to get dropped into the ninety-times-normal pressure of Solars surface.

“For the city,” The mechanic said as he slapped the helmet into place.

“For our people,” Homer mumbled.

Then the city’s elevator had lowered Homer and a similarly suited-up partner down to the ground, swaying and jerking them about inside. It dug in with its screws when it hit bottom, holding itself and the city steady as the incredibly strong Nano-filament wire quivered all the way back up to the city’s docks.

Every week, weather permitting, boys like Homer checked over the mining machine their city depended on, the cuatetl. It hunted for the precious metals Valloon needed to survive. This week it had radioed a panic failure code.

Despite the calm a hundred thousand feet above him, Homer strained his way forward through the hurricane-like winds here. He’d first come to the surface on his eleventh birthday. In the following two years he’d never seen a calm day. He heard the older boys that it happened, but he’d believe it when he saw it.

Homer stood on smooth rock, melted and flattened out by hundreds of years of sulfuric rain and howling winds. He watched as the giant conical drilling nose of the cuatetl breached the surface upwind of him, vomiting debris. Most of the giant worm of a machine, hundreds of feet long, lay hidden under the ground right now.

Grit and pebbles smacked Homer, pinging off the acid-polished shine of his ground-suit. They left tiny dents and pits on impact.

“Dam%it.” Homer had expected the cuatetl to appear on the surface to his right. Standing downwind of the cuatetl could leave him with a cracked suit. If that happened the insane amounts of pressure of Solars atmosphere at ground level would crush his soft fleshy body instantly. That is, if the heat didn’t kill him first, all 800 degrees of it. Hot enough that the horizon constantly rippled.

Homer watched the thousands of counter-rotating disc cutters on the cuatatl’s head finish spinning down. They still kicked more dirt into the air as he moved upwind. He winced as each loud pop and ping reverberated inside his protective armor. Each step took its toll. The ground-suit weighed over fifty pounds, despite being made of special light-weight alloys. It was manufactured by some distant city on Solar, since Valoon didn’t have the means to make anything like the ground-suit.

The pelting stopped. Homer sweated and panted, wishing to the shady underworld that he’d picked a better spot to stand. The silver figure of his companion loomed out of the oppressive gloom of the surface in a cumbersome, gleaming bug-like suit. Wing-like vanes stuck out of the back of the older suit dumping excess heat out above the ripples. Homer sighed.

Lipton had certainly gotten lucky today. He stood well upwind of the recall buoy they’d triggered. The cuatetl hadn’t popped up to the left of it, as Homer programmed the buoy to tell it.

Lipton would probably say, “I told you so.” His family could drive someone off an edge like that. Always perfet, always stepping to the beat of tradition, always following the rules handed down. Homer and Lipton were Flitzonian, young, thin, and small enough to fit inside the ground-suits designed to fit Dogima outsiders, not adults from his city. Homer lumbered towards his fellow Flitzonian. They touched their oversize helmets together to speak.

“I told you so.” Lipton’s voice buzzed, sounding like it came through a tin can a room away, even though his smirking face stared at Homer. “If the cuatetl isn’t working properly, what makes you think it’s going to follow the recall code correctly?”

“I know,” Homer replied. Every time he touched helmets just to talk he wondered what it would be like to have the luxury of working radios in every suit. His father’s father once told him that they’d all had working radios when he’d been a Flitzonian, fifty years ago when the city had been built in Solars upper atmosphere. Now just a handful of radios worked, used by the city to call other cities or help airships dock. And the one on the mining machine itself, of course. “You’re right, upwind is safer.”

“We are also right on the edge of the debris field, you know we’re supposed to tell the cuatetl to move farther upwind of the elevator. Just in case.”

“It’s right on the edge. It’ll be okay. Come on, let’s go to work.” Besides, if something had failed Homer didn’t want to have to haul equipment much farther than this. The cuatetl’s stilled nose dripped detritus, stuck in the air at a forty-five degree angle. It loomed into the sky, dwarfing them. The two boys walked in between a large gap in the segment between the cutter head and the main body.

Homer clanked on, avoiding slurry dripping down from twenty feet over his head. He clambered onto a small alcove, no slip surface crunching underfoot. The machine’s angle meant that Homer had to brace himself as he leaned forward. Lipton stayed back, worried about knocking his heat vanes on something in the tight quarters and boiling himself to death.

Lipton lived in terror of mistakes. His entire family depended on him to provide for them. But even more than that, Lipton’s family thrived on the status of being one of the twenty Flitzonian families. Lights blinked at Homer, advertising the interface panel he needed to check.

The entire cuatetl stretched six hundred feet down a slope under him. He hoped the problem was in the drill head. It usually was. Homer and Lipton had been lowered with three new disc cutters. If something else had failed, the next couple hours would drag on. Homer didn’t want to go tromping around through the whole machine. Last year he’d been working with an older Flitzonian when one of the ore processors to the rear broke down. It had taken weeks of hard work by all thirty of the Flitzonian to get a whole new processor winched down to the surface and swapped in. Homer checked the diagram on the panel. It indicated a broken disc cutter.

Good.

Now he and Lipton just had to get outside and lug a fifty-pound piece of equipment back and swap it out. Homer glanced at his wrist. He had three hours of air left. He didn’t bother looking at the pressure or heat dials. Thinking about either just got one jumpy.

Three hours of air. It would take at least one of those hours to get winched back up to Valloon. You couldn’t swap out a new air bottle on Solar’s surface. He backed out of the alcove and bumped helmets with Lipton.

“It’s a disc cutter,” Homer said. And even luckier, the cuatetl had rotated the failed unit down toward the ground for them to access.

“Great.” Lipton grinned on the other side of his slightly warped visor. “We can get one dragged over and changed in time. No second trip tomorrow.”

Even duty conscious Lipton, proud of his family and his role, didn’t want to return to the hellish surface tomorrow. Once a week, to service the mining machine was enough.

When the Nu Mak of New Levian left aboard ships bound for other planets, trying to escape their history there, had they ever imagined ending up on a world like this? Homer doubted it. His ancestors may have been tricked into believing things borrowed from a lost culture on a distant World by cruelly manipulative aliens. They may have warred with the Ragamuffins who lived on New Levian and lost, but this he would never have wished on his worst enemy. He didn’t imagine his own great grandparents had willingly wished this on him.

“Okay, let’s do it.”

Lipton took the lead and Homer followed him. One of Lipton’s heat vanes had a slight bend. Even upwind some of the debris had hit Lipton’s suit. Homer reminded himself to tell the mechanics when they were winched back up.

Out from the shadow of the cuatetl Homer checked the markers they’d left drilled into the ground. The red blinking lights, powered by the fierce wind, led the two boys deep into the murky orange gloom away from the cuatetl.

Homer fell into a pattern. Step, step, rest, breathe. Lipton pulled well ahead of Homer. Homer stopped, panting and watching his visor fog, and noticed something move out of the corner of his eye.

Shadows. Here on the surface, in the brown muck and low visibility with the heat rippling and wind kicking, it wasn’t unusual to imagine things moving about.

But no, he did see something.

Homer turned and saw a hazy figure on all fours run at him through the edges of the muck. Lipton moved on, oblivious, as Homer squinted at the metallic tentacles that draped from the front of the creature. It wore a formfitting suit, more advanced and flexible than his. It veered away. Homer moved farther away until it faded into a brown haze. They pushed helmets together. “Did you see that?” Homer shouted. “Something else is on the surface with us. It doesn’t look human.”

“That can’t be.” Lipton’s brown eyes widened.

“It’s an alien!”

“That is heresy,” Lipton said. “Forget we saw it, let’s go.”

Homer turned and looked back, trying to spot the creature. What did he care about heresy? His grandparents had Reformed and left Nu Mak on New Levian years ago during the DMZ wars. Their fears of aliens trying to rule Homer’s people again didn’t mean anything anymore. True, some believed that god-aliens had followed their exodus to this city and still looked over them. A crazy belief. Aliens were just… other kinds of creatures.

And apparently at least one of them walked Solars surface. “We should follow it,” Homer said. “If there are aliens here, on the surface, don’t you think people would be interested in knowing that?”

“It’s too dangerous.” Lipton shook his head. “It’s too deep in the debris zone.”

Lipton and the rules. Valloon floated far overhead. Downwind of the city lay the debris zone, a dangerous place to stand still. But Valloon didn’t drop things. Not unless some airship collided with it by accident, driven into the city by a gust of wind. And airships from other cities visited Vallon less and less each year. The city just didn’t have much to offer the others.

Homer made up his mind. “I’m going. Come or not, Lipton. You don’t have to share the honor of the greatest discovery Valloon has ever made. Can you imagine the visitors from other cities that will come if we are the ones who finds aliens hiding on Solar’s surface?” Most human worlds didn’t welcome aliens, so it wasn’t surprising that they’d hidden. “Maybe they’d even trade with us, or if we swear to keep the fact that they’re hiding on Solar secret, maybe they’ll pay our city.”

That got Lipton’s attention. Both of them knew that being down here helped the city, and that they were responsible for its health. The idea that aliens could help got Lipton to follow Homer as he lumbered downwind.

Both boys moved as fast as they could through the thick air, trying to find the alien. The sense of getting away with something illicit deep in the debris zone made Homer smile. Then something hit the ground in front of him. It looked like a shard of plastic, melted and contorted. As he watched, it bubbled and melted away.

He leaned back and peered up into gloom. Something much larger hit the ground. He felt the thud through his feet, but didn’t see anything. But Homer knew what that meant. This was bad, this was really bad. He’d screwed up.

“Lipton! Debris!”

The shouting served nothing, it was just reflex. They couldn’t hear each other at all. Homer ran at Lipton. He had to force himself up into the wind, legs pushing hard. His thighs burned and sweat dripped from his forehead, stinging his eyes, as he overtook Lipton and bumped into his side.

Their bulky ground-suits clanked as they almost both hopped off balance for a second. Homer grabbed Lipton’s helmet and yanked them both face to face. “Debris!”

Lipton paled. “The cuatetl!”

Their training told them to separate and hunker down near any depression or hole they could find. But everywhere Homer looked the ground stretched out smooth and even. “Run.” They both scrambled, running back toward the barely visible silhouette of the mining machine through the murk.

It cleared as they got closer. Homer slowed just as something hit the top of the cuatetl’s cutter head. He threw his hands up and dropped to the ground as metal shards pelted him. He waited for the inevitable with his eyes closed, raising his hands and praying to the gods to at least make it a quick and painless death.

Fifteen years, two as Flitzonian, an honored position in the city and for his family. It had been a good life. But nothing hit. The debris had stopped. Homer opened his eyes. A jagged rip in the cuatetl’s side billowed smoke. A bad sign. Valloon could not afford to replace an entire cutter head.

He turned around to check on Lipton, his friend lay facedown on the ground. Homer walked over to tap helmets, but Lipton didn’t stir when he rapped on the back of the large metal suit. Two of Lipton’s radiators had been broken off. The suit was overheating. Gods. Homer got to the ground, pushing Lipton carefully onto his side so he could look into his visor. He could see nothing but fog clouding it.

They had to get off the surface. Homer rolled Lipton back onto his face. He couldn’t lift the extra bulky hundred pound suit. But he could pull it along the smooth surface. The helmet wouldn’t crack, he kept telling himself. If he damaged the suit’s vanes by dragging him any other way, Lipton certainly wouldn’t survive. The ground-suit slid slowly over the surface.

It took almost fifteen minutes to get Lipton along the wind beacons to the large metal sphere of the elevator. A slim ribbon of material stretched from the elevator’s roof up into the gloom above, disappearing into the sky.

Another few minutes fell away as he pulled Lipton carefully in among the three massive disc cutters inside. The elevator’s large portholes shattered four years ago, leaving it open to Solar’s boiling depths. Valloon couldn’t repair the damage. Everything seemed to break down these days. Homer held on to the empty airlock’s door frame. He slapped the green switch wired on the outside to give the haul-up signal.

Then Homer sat next to his facedown companion, blinking away sweat and watching the condensation from his own exertions run down the inside of his visor in little rivulets. What had happened up there, a hundred thousand feet over his head? There shouldn’t have been any debris. Not like that.

There might have been tears of frustration and not sweat in his eyes, but he wasn’t sure as the elevator jerked. The ground-screws buried into the rock underneath disengaged and folded up into the elevator. They bounced along the ground, and then rose into the air over the rippling heat waves of the orange-tinted surface.

The higher they got the cooler it would get. Homer bit his lip as they ascended into sulfuric gloom of his world. “You can make it, Lipton,” he whispered. He sat there and stared at the dials on his wrist. The heat dropped down from 850 degrees into the high 700s, PSI began dropping. But would it be enough?

A gust of wind slammed into them, pushing the elevator out at an angle from underneath the city. His ground-suit creaked, metal joints and ribs popping as the immense pressure decreased. Homer put his hand on Lipton’s helmet and urged the elevator to move as he promised every god he could think of offerings at the family altar if they could just get winched back up to Valloon in time.

_Higgins_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By _Higgins_

@Naamah_Obyzouth: That was awesome ^_^ On a side not, could NOT stop thinking about this the whole read through

Naamah_Obyzouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Naamah_Obyzouth

@Ash_Walmer: It added just the right touch of humor don't you think?

Homer and Lipton are both comical names.

_Higgins_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By _Higgins_

@Naamah_Obyzouth: I guessed as much ^_^

Inner_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Inner_Demon

@Naamah_Obyzouth: Bravo!

Naamah_Obyzouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Naamah_Obyzouth

Flashback

The shell of the tiny, black vauumball Naamah sat in hissed and cracked. Only an eggshell's width lay between her and whatever lay outside. The ball had flown a million miles in three days, with Naamah curled up and festering inside by herself. In a device made only for emergency escapes from destroyed ships.

A welcomed sound, the cracking. But it came two days too soon. Naamah tensed as the shell split open with a wet, sticky rip.

"Welcome aboard the Rakiek."The woman on the other side had her hair pulled back in cornrows and tied off in tight braids. After skulking about the other side of the DMZ, Naamah had to admit she enjoyed hearing the New Levian accent again. She relaxed as she heard more New Levian voices behind her.

The people aboard the Rakiek came from a piece of the Caribbean that had picked itself up from a mother planet and held together for centuries now. They had made the exodus light-years away to New Levian, where the members of the Black Starliner Corporation once hoped to silently create a world of their own. But as the BSC faded away into the loose-knit community of Caribbean descendants known as Ragamuffins, they found themselves growing into larger players in the greater game.

"We snagged you up to save the original pickup fuel," the women said. "The Ragamuffin Dread Council go pay us beaucoup digits for altering course and snagging you instead of them sending a whole ship out just for you."

The ad hoc representative democracy of the Dread Council guided Ragamuffin security, and they'd sent a safe ship for Naamah. Since humanity rose up against alien races that once dominated the Forty-Eight worlds they'd gotten more involved in things like this, with Naamah eagerly offering herself up as one of their nastiest tools.

She looked at the woman. "Glad you picked me up. I once got trapped in one of those balls for longer than I'd care to talk about."

Naamah pushed past broken pieces of the vacuumball and took her offered hand. Her long black hair brushed against the edges. Her powerful crimson form expelled from the debris of the vacuumball, with a steady hand-up. Bare to the group now standing before her, the Crimson Queen smirks her golden eyes blazing with relief.

Flash-Forward

The elevator slammed down to a slower speed on the final approach to Valloon's city docks. Homer waited as the massive lower airlocks engulfed the small elevator and sealed themselves shut. Through the ruined portholes the lower curve of the city dominated the sky above, and in the distant gloom clusters of maintenance blips floated, ready to intervene in case anything went wrong for this final stage of the winching up.

Pumps whirred as clean air flooded into the chamber. He looked out of the doorway into the lock and banged his armored fists against the side of the elevator to get attention. Jut, one of the mechanics, ran it, pulling a large heat-safe glove onto his right hand. He popped the seals on Homers Helmet and Homer took a gasp of fresh air.

"Your back early."

Leon, the doctor, stepped in next.

"What happened?" Jut looked him over and wiped his grease-stained hands on his chest. "I told them something had been knocked loose. There was debris. Doctor!"

Jut had been a Flitzonian in his young teens, now his belly spilled out of his shirt. No ground-suits for him. But he knew exactly what the panicked look on Homer's face meant.

"The debris got him," Homer said. He knelt down next to Lipton and started to try and crack the ground-suit, but with his hands still armored gloves he fumbled with the clasps and catches.

Jut pulled Homer up to his feet by his one-heat safe gloved hand.

"Was his suit holed?"

"I think it was the heat vanes." Homer turned back towards the elevator, but Jut turned him right back around and pushed him forward.

"Keep moving," he snapped.

Behind the Leon cracked the suit. Homer could hear steam whistle out. An odd smell drifted through the chamber. Burnt flesh. Homer gagged, and Jut kept pushing him toward the airlock out of the chamber. "Just keep walking."

"What happened up here?" Homer asked.

"Something hit the city." Jut rubbed the few hairs of his upper lip, leaving a long streak of grit.

"An airship?" Homer screamed. Why right then?

"No. A person fell out of the clouds. Hit some solar collectors lashed near the farms, knocked them off. I thought I saw debris headed your way, but the doctor and others were to busy to notice. They were running around, holing up a patch in the city and trying to save the gal who hit us." Jut helped Homer sit on a bench near the showers. He hit the chest clasps with his gloved hand, and then unbolted the cumbersome joints.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#192  Edited By Rumble Man

@Naamah_Obyzouth:

((you never did have a bad post, magnificent ))

Naamah_Obyzouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By Naamah_Obyzouth

@Rumble Man: / Thanks <3, You know I respect your opinion. I am happy you are reading and enjoying these./

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By Rumble Man

@Naamah_Obyzouth:

/It makes it extra nice that I love your character/

Naamah_Obyzouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Naamah_Obyzouth

@Rumble Man: / Do you like my NPC's? /

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By Rumble Man

@Naamah_Obyzouth:

/Yesh, specially the guards at the kingdom/

Naamah_Obyzouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By Naamah_Obyzouth

@Rumble Man:

/ ^___^ More of them to come. Keep reading <3 /

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By Rumble Man

@Naamah_Obyzouth:

/will do xD/

agentxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By agentxx

@Nordok: (gonna post here soon, just bumping it for now)

zandor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By zandor

@Nordok:Zandor manifests out of the darkness of the ship transforming into his seven foot tall form, looking around he held his sword tightly but made no signs of hostility.