The Cronin Protocol

Switch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Switch

The night sky was full of light. The pinpoints of a thousand stars shone down upon

The city of New York and the full moon was low in the sky, seeming to fill it up. Suddenly a burning ball of flame burst into existence, growing larger and larger until it streaked down into the city centre, obliterating an office block. From within the rubble something moved, crawling clear, beaten and bloodied. In one pair of its arms it cradled a small cube with intricate carvings on its surface. Leaving a trail of blood behind it the creature staggered away, trying to hide its cargo before death overtook it.

The oval office was quiet for the first time that day. The delegates from South Africa had been shown out and the head of EPA was yet to arrive. The President sipped a mug of coffee and sat back in his chair, enjoying the rustling of tree branches outside the window. The peace was abruptly shattered when the twin doors to the room were swung open with such force that they left marks on the wall.

“What is the meaning of…?”

Before the President could finish a woman, flanked by two massive men, strode up to his desk and smacked a hefty file down on the smooth surface.

“Mr President, we have a situation.”

For a few brief seconds the silence returned as the President considered the woman before reaching for the file. Slowly he opened to the first page and read it while the woman tapped her foot impatiently. His secretary appeared in the doorway,

“Sir, your five o’clock is here.”

Without looking up he waved her away and continued to read. After a few more moments the woman spoke,

“Mr President you must authorise the implementation of the Cronin Protocol. We don’t have much time.”

Grimly the President looked up at her.

“I will not authorise the deaths of four million American citizens so that we can get our hands on some weapon that will bring only suffering.” He pressed the intercom button sharply.

“Susan get the pentagon on the line, I want a cordon around New York. No one gets in or out.”

New York has been quarantined due to a possible alien presence, trapping thousands of people in a ring of guns. The soldiers are disciplined and will use lethal force to counter any attempt to escape from the containment zone. Special forces teams have been dispatched deep into the city with a specific mission in mind and the necessary equipment to complete it. Chaos reigns on the streets for in six hours a nuclear weapon will be deployed against a real target for the third time in history.

To those who know of such things the actions of the government follow the guidelines set out by one of the Cronin Protocols. A series of action plans set up during the 50’s to counter the effects that alien contact would have on the USA. It appears that Cronin Protocol 1 is being implemented, discovery of a powerful alien artefact.

The city of New York is in a state of panic, law enforcement is non existent as people try desperately to escape the confines of the containment zone, many paying the ultimate price for their efforts. Special forces units cut through the mass of rioters in order to complete specific missions, either to plant a nuclear device in the city or to discover the location of the artefact in order to remove it. Loudspeakers blare a simple message to the crowds “If we have the artefact then nobody needs to die.”

Heroes can try and get people out of the city or quell the riots, while villains can use the lawlessness to their own advantage. The one unifying objective of the two sides is to find the artefact, either to use its power for personal gain or to hand it over and prevent the detonation of the bomb.

Rules

1. Follow the standard Comicvine rules found here http://www.comicvine.com/message/official-rpg-rules/8030/&c=7&7

2. Anyone is allowed to join but if you start to ruin the flow of the RPG or your posts are not up to scratch you will be asked to delete them. This is a chance for all you new RPers to prove that you can do this properly, don’t mess it up.

3. The artefact is not an NPC, at the end of the RPG I will award it to someone who is worthy. That mean both character wise and in terms of writing and personality on the vine.

4. Good quality posts. This is something that I personally have a problem with. I hate it when people post skimpily and offer no explanation as to how they know other characters or how they got where they are. Make it detailed and descriptive.

5. The cordon around New York is the real thing. Escaping will not be easy. Think the full might of the US army. Fighter Jets patrol the sky relentlessly.

6. Special Forces soldiers are no push over. They will kill you unless you’re smart about fighting them.

7. Have fun and make this a good RPG.

Post Edited:2008-02-20 14:51:39
Post Edited:2008-02-20 14:52:18

Switch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Switch

The night sky was full of fire, the glow from the hundred of blazes that had been started by rioters made street lamps unnecessary. Families barricaded themselves in their their homes and prayed for deliverance. To the citizens of New York it was as if the end of day had arrived.

"It's actually quite beautiful. If you take the time to look at it."

Athens' hologram was standing on the window sill, looking out at the building faces opposite her and admiring the flickering shadows cast by the flaming car in the street. Behind her Switch was frantically grabbing the equipment he would need to make it through the press of people outside. She turned and watched him as he lifted the Sword of Night over his head and settled the scabbard on his back.

"I find it funny that you humans act this way. Rather than working together to overcome a crisis you panic and wait for a savior. I think I might have to do a study, I'll call it the Savior syndrome."

Switch checked the magazine on his pistol and slid it into its holster before turning to Athens, a look of annoyance on his face. She turned to look at him and started from her musings.

"Sorry, were you trying to premeditate some brutal violence?"

He sighed and picked up her chip, slotting it into his head behind his ear. She flickered and disappeared from the sill as coding ran over his eyes. With a grin Switch climbed out of his window and jumped off the building, landing in the middle of the street. As one organism the crowd looked at him.

"Clear the streets, all of you return to your homes."

For a moment nobody moved in the press. Then the crowd surged forwards, clawing at him, trying to hold on to his coat, his arms, his legs. Switch was bombarded with desperate people pleading with him.

"I cant find my wife!"

"I don't want to die"

"Save us!"

"Someone broke into my shop!"

With a grunt he threw them backwards, the crowd flowed over the fallen like a living tide. Switch turned and ran, jumping up and catching hold of a fire escape before pulling himself up. Bellow him the crowd moaned before returning to looting.

"The Savior syndrome in action." Athens said quietly.

Switch turned and kept climbing. With one hand he flipped open his mobile phone, only to realise that there was no signal. Over the roofs came the sound of a voice, drifting on the wind.

If the artifact is found, the cordon will stand down. Assist Government agents in any way you can.

"Athens, hack into every government database you can think of. I want to know all about this artifact and why the government wants it."

Cryo-Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Cryo-Wolf

People rushed past, and Cryo didn't even bother to look at them. He wove in and out of the crowd, running through the streets of New York. His messenger bag flew behind him as he ran. He wore baggy brown cargo shorts and a white long sleeved shirt underneath a blue short sleeved one. He ran freely in his wolf form, but he didn't care. The chaos that ran amok in this city brought out the worst in some people, and that usually meant they were more hostile. But, when being hostile, they lose sight of the werewolf running before them. That gave Cryo the edge.

Cryo had tried to take in all of what was happening, and as he ran he went over it in his mind. Ok, so, the government has qaurrentined New York off, and is threatening to bomb it if they don't get some artifact. Some time to go on a vacation in New York. Ok, back on track.

Cryo recalled everything he had knew about the government, reaching into the back recesses of his mind to do so. He remembered a book about secret government conspiracies..Area 51....aliens...AHA! There it was! He had read a book that proposed a protocol was devised by the government in case any alien activity was found. The courses of action did seem similar to the current events. So, Cryo thought, There's aliens in New York? Sounds like something from a bad sci-fi movie.

Cryo continued running, when a shadow flew over him. He stopped and turned, looking up to the sky. Jets flew over every inch of the city. "It's getting worse." Cryo said to himself. Cryo focused more on the situation around him. People ran franticly, some having lost family members, others porclaiming that the end was near. He'd need help to figure out what was going on here, and bring peace back to the city. Cryo quickly took out his cell phone and dialed a number.

"Bruce! Where the hell are ya!?"

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By The_Ghostshell

It was like all the apocalyptic scenes of the movies. Mass panic, people being trampled, robbed, shot, civil order collapsing. The animal instinct of survival had swept through the once famous city. Anybody who was anybody had been evacuated long ago. Leaving behind the common citizen to find for themselves.

Gambler had been on the fast track to detective in one of the most famous police departments in the country, the NYPD. He had even been assigned a rookie, fresh outta thee academy. It was to be his replacement after showing her the ropes. But all that was gone now. There was no police, no one to keep the people save or calm, it was Martial Law.

Speeding down an abandoned side street in a jet black Chevy Impala, Gambler and his partner raced towards the edge of the containment field. As they closed in, the horrifying reality of the situation hit home. The U.S. army had set up barracks using tanks, modified walls, guns, and troops. But in front of that was the real horror show. Bodies, countless numbers of bullet ridden bodies lay strung out along the street.

“Jesus. There killing people. There actually gunning down there own people.”

Slamming on the brakes and turning the wheel, the Impala whipped sideways ducking down an alley. Gambler was stunned. He couldn’t believe this was the United States Governments plan A. Close off the city and kill anyone trying to leave.

The Cajun frantically flipped through the radio looking for any sort of answers. An AM station was broadcasting an emergency broadcast advising everyone to remain calm and stay in there homes.

“We gotta do something rookie. I hope you got your boots strapped up, cause this aint gonna be no academy bullsh!t. We’s gonna do some real hero sh!t now.”

Bruce Marxism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Bruce Marxism

A shadowed figure stood by a window in his 7th floor apartment building. His blue eyes viewed the chaos below him without emotion. For him, it was just another scenario, to which he was to evaluate, attack, and execute. He seldom saw anything any other way. That's how They wanted him to be. He shook the thought from his mind and moved to his stereo system. with one push of the play button, Kanye West's Stronger blared into the quiet apartment. Most people would've yelled at the racket, but Bruce wasn't most people.

Bruce was different than most. When most people listened to music, they listened to the overall song, liked it, and that was it. But with Bruce, each song was a steroid, a catalyst, a boost to his everyday self. He felt the beats, he felt the instruments, he felt the lyrics. His brain analyzed every aspect of the song right down to the subtle baseline hidden behind the music. That analysis would trigger a chemical reaction, and give his body power beyond his wildest dreams. Even now, the song was fueling his body.

He stood shirtless by his bed, examining a pair of Glock 17 pistols for any impurities. His baggy black jeans hung over his sneakers, and raven black hair hunger over his head, a lock of blue hair over his right eye. His face barely ever showed emotion, and if it did, it was hate. But what most people didn't realize was, it was a good kind of hate. It was hatred for all things wrong with the world. Bruce would set those wrongs right.

Bruce locked and loaded both pistols and slipped them in the back of his jeans. He took one out and gripped it firmly. He had to test them to see if they were working properly. Bruce held out his arm, and aimed the gun. The trigger was pulled, gunshot sounded, and a ping could be heard. Bruce looked up to see the bullet embedded in his ceiling. One of them worked. Bruce slipped that handgun in the back of his jeans and pulled out the other one, doing the same. The bulet fired and ricocheted off his skin, flying into a nearby wall. Both of them worked.

Concealing both handguns, he grabbed his shirt and slipped it on, followed by his blue hoodie with the black biohazard symbol on it. He ejected his iPod from the stereo, ceasing the music. shoving the iPod in his pocket and the headphones around his neck, he began walking down the stairs to the ground floor. He was at about the 3rd floor when his cell phone vibrated in his pocket. He took it out and looke to the caller ID. A rarely seen smirk crossed his face, and he pressed talk.

"Bruce! Where the hell are ya!"

Bruce continued to walk. "I'm in my apartment, furball. What's your problem?"

There was a few moments of silence. "Are you serious!? It's madness outside!"

"Yeah. I can see that. Would you like a cookie?"

"Right now I honestly would, but that's not the point! Look, we need to figure out what's going on here, and find this artefact the army keeps speaking about."

"You're in New York right now?" Bruce pushed open the doors to his apartment building and walked out into the maelstrom that was now New York.

"Yeah, I'm on vacation. Some vaca though, huh?"

"Whatever. Where do you want to meet?" Cryo kept talking, but he couldn't hear him. The person beside him was screaming something about his lost girlfriend. Finally, Bruce just couldn't take it any longer. Bruce pulled the phone away from his ear, covered the receiver and turned to the man. Magnifying his own voice, he screamed at the man. "Will you please shut up I am trying to talk to my friend here!" The person stopped screaming and cowered. "Thank you." Bruce said, returning to the phone. "What's that Cryo?"

"We'll meet at Central Park in an hour."

"Fine." Bruce hung up the phone and continued walking through the chaos. He looked to his cell phone to see the time. He lived a far ways away from Cntral Park, and he wouldn't get there in an hour. Taking out his iPod, he turned to a song and placed his headphones over his ears. The sounds of the Jonas Brothers' S.O.S. came on, and Bruce felt his movements quickening. Without a moments notice, he burst forth, a blur to thos around him, speeding through the streets of New York.

Barguest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Barguest

Nina glowered at him from the passenger seat, she turned and looked out the back window as he was trying the radio. It was certainly mob rule out there, people were looting, others protesting. Many of the marchers had been gunned down by the military, forces who had been meant to protect them. She grimaced slightly, shouldn't have left Britain after uni....but I just HAD to see the big apple, didn't i?.

She looked down at her uniform, did it even mean anything now? In the back of her mind she wondered, would people attack them for the authority they represented? Or would they expect them to fix everything, make it all go away like magic.

She looked to her partner "How can they get away with doing this in New York of all places? The world watches doesn't it?!" The look he gave her said it all, she suddenly felt very naive. The only hope they possibley had, was that someone on the outside would do something. They were well and truly trapped, imprisoned within a concrete maze of skyscrapers. Nina wondered what would happen if London just shut down like this, or even Paris... how could the rest of the country leave them like this?

Time felt like it was a precious commodity, and guilt filled her as she sat there. The sounds of screams and gunshots tore through the air, windows smashing... explosions. "What do you suggest we do?" She glanced at her superior carefully.

Switch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Switch

"No please!"

Switch glanced down an alleyway from above. Two men had grabbed a woman and were wrestling with her. It didn't take a genius to figure out what they were after. Switch swung over the edge of the roof, falling twenty feet to the ground and landing heavily. A normal man would have broken bones from such a fall, but not Switch. He used his mutant ability to re channel energy in any form to cushion the impact, destroy the ground around him rather than his bones.

The two men were oblivious. Switch attacked from behind, taking them down before they had a chance to react. He grabbed the first mans arm, twisting it around until the bone snapped. He flung him aside and balled his right hand into a fist. The light spilling out of the limb grew stronger and he punched at the side of the second mans head. The man was pushed sideways, hitting the wall hard. Switch's fist cracked his skull open, flinging bloody matter over the bricks and splattering Switch's face.

"Oh my God!" the woman said, stunned by the abruptness of the violence.

"Go home and lock your doors." Switch told her.

Sobbing softly the woman ran. Switch rubbed his face clean, horrified with himself. He kept telling himself that it was an accident, that he was angry because of the chaos, that he hadn't meant it. But deep down he knew the truth. It was his arm. It wanted blood, it wanted to kill. Savagely he pushed the thought away. He didn't have time for self analysis, he needed to save the city. He needed to find the artifact before the bomb went off.

"Ive got something." Athens said."The government is implementing something called the Cronin Protocol. It was put in place during the 50's in order to deal with alien life reaching earth. Long story short, theres something in New York that came from another world. I checked news websites, apparently a shooting start fell in the center of town late last night. I suggest we begin our search there"

Switch nodded in agreement and started to jog towards the massive skyscrapers that marked the city centre. Hopefully he would be able to meet up with some other heroes on the way.

Errant Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Errant Son

Edge laughed manically as the family cowered in the corner. The father already lay dead in the kitchen, an unused shotgun clasped in his dead hands. Only the mother and her child remained. Edge wasn't a frequenter of the massacre scene, but with the cops out of the picture he found himself enjoying a new pass time.

"Please, you can kill me, just don't kill my son."

Edge grinned and leaned in close to the woman.

"You have no idea how many times Ive heard that one."

He blew the two of them into dust with a hand gesture, leaving an strange shaped shadow on the wall where they had been crouching. With another laugh he left the building for the streets. Fire burned and lifeless forms lay in the empty roads, it was heaven for him. But the fun was over, it was time to go to work. An alien artifact powerful enough to require the use of the Cronin Protocols would be a worthy prize. His face now impassive he started to walk towards the center of town. Maybe he could find someone to torture its location out of.

Cryo-Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Cryo-Wolf

Cryo held the phone up after Bruce had hung up. "Sometimes I really hate that guy." He put his phone away and continued to race through the streets of New York, towards Central Park. He ducked and leaped above the crowd, some, he noticed, not moving. Their scents were freshly changed to death. "What a monstrosity this is."

He stpped by every dead body he saw, blessing them with safe passage to the underworld, and that they would be judged fairly. After a few of these, Cryo wondered whether these declarations of safe passage would arouse suspicions in the underworld. He dispeled the thought from his mind and fled to Central Park.

He got to the center of central park. Surprisingly, not many rioters were in the park. Just in case, Cryo jumped into a tree and stayed there, wary and cautious of anyone who would try anything.

Avatar image for midnight_lantern
Midnight Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Midnight Lantern

Midnight Lantern flew around Times Square. Surveying, watching the City below. Soldiers at every turn. "God damn it" Midnight muttered.

A Random man pulled out a Shot Gun and killed a Hot Dog Vendor right in the middle of Times Square. Nobody seemed to notice the obvious murder that had just happened, The whole City had gone to Hell, gone to an Anarchy. Every bit of hope seemed to just be gone.

Midnight looked down to see all that evil and all that hate.....That seemed second nature to him. Hell, if it was'nt for all hate and evil...He would'nt be Midnight Lantern. He moved his eyes over to see some old lady getting mugged. He saw the evil and despair un fold. Death was happening before his Eyes as gun shots and explosions rang out everywere. Riots filled the City, Midnight fell down to the city below gracefully. He hit the ground with grace and style. "CALM DOWN" His booming, commanding voice shouted. People stopped in their tracks and looked over to see Midnight standing there. "Now, You want to leave this City? You gonna' do it right".

Mr Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mr Happy

"Jesus man just you luck" ,Bracey thought to himself. He's just moved to New York having finally achieved a life long dream by landing a gig as an artist at Marvel Comics. Given that they liked to document the adventures of local heroes he'd thought he might even get the chance to illustrate his own adventures as the new hero in town. That is assuming his exploits ganered enough attention, and if well the city didnt go to absolute hell, which seemed to be a strong possiblity.

Bacey raced to the roof of his appartment and allowed his body to morph into Mr Happy once he was sure the coast was clear. Ok time to access. Civillians in a total panic stampeding towards the outskirts of town, fires looting and crimes everywhere, fighter jets overhead. Jets!?! This is far more than a simple riot. Ok this is far more than a simple riot or emergency if the military is involved, this is BIG. Real big, and real bad.

Happy was about to race off in the opposite direction of the fleeing crowds when he heard the staccoto bursts off machine gune fire.

"Damn, cant ignore that!"

Using the rooftops to avoid getting mired in the crowds Happy used his elatic for to bound and stretch to his destination.

"NO NO NOOOO!!!"

Soldiers positioned along hastily erected barricades were gunning down terrified people. Happy leaped down between the opposing masses forming himslef into a wall with enough pliability to trap the gunfire without harmining the people. He twisted hi head around searching out the highest ranking soldier he could see along the line, fining a likely prospect he snake his neck out toward a major.

"wWhat are you doing here, youre killing them!!!"

The Major seemingly used to dealing with extreme situations and people calmly replied. "I have my orders son."

Hands formed from Mr Happy's mass and gripped the man's shoulders "Cant you do something anything else? Tase them, use nets, rubber bullets.? Something?"

For a brief moment the major's battleworn facade slipped a tiny bit and Happy could see the deep regret in the man's eyes but he could also see his resolve. "Tell me what can I do to end this?"

"An alien artifact feel to Earth last night and is somewhere in the center of this city. The military is searching for it and so are many super beings like yourself. Find the artifact and bring it to the military or else this whole city could be considered collateral damage."

Happy nodded in understanding. His he melted into the massive wall of his body and his face appeared as a gigantic visage across it.

"People, this city is under quaranteen. Return home and lock your doors. If you've lost loved one's they will probably be returning there themselves for safety." He said in a voice as large as his body. The stunned people seemed to come to their senses and began to leave. With a last meaningful look at the major Mr Happy bounded off toward the unknown.