The Astral Plane (open RP)

Astral_Plane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Astral_Plane

This RP thread is open to anyone, with some stipulation: the astral plane is only accessible to those possessing psychic or mystical abilities (telepaths, arcanists, gods, etc.). There are some exceptions to the rule; anyone can be brought here by an astral “guide” who has the requisite abilities, and it is possible that characters of sufficient scientific acumen could devise some technological means of arrival (perhaps not even on purpose).

No Caption Provided

The astral plane is a non-physical plane that overlaps the material plane (what most recognize as “reality”). It is a realm of thoughts, dreams, and visions. The landscape (if it can be called such) is unstable and surreal, though a sufficiently strong will can shape it. This can lead to interesting battles in which two powerful minds attempt to shape their surroundings, creating a sort of environmental war.

No Caption Provided

The most basic rule on the astral plane is that “thoughts are things.” A strong mind can create practically anything: will yourself to be holding a sword, and it shall appear in your hand. A character that is weak and sickly on the physical plane may appear strong and healthy on the astral; one’s appearance is determined by one’s mind, although such forms generally resemble their material forms in some way.

No Caption Provided

A character’s astral form is constantly connected to their material body by a thin, nearly invisible silver cord. Should their astral form be “killed,” this cord will yank them back into their biological body, unharmed, but suffering effects similar to a severe hangover. Such individuals will need a recovery period (varies according to their mental fortitude) before returning to the astral plane. Though it is borderline impossible, this silver cord can be severed, breaking the connection between a character’s mind and body. The body will fall into a comatose state, and may very well die, if it is not attended to appropriately. The mind will become trapped on the astral plane, and will likely require aid in returning to the body.

No Caption Provided

In short, the astral plane is a playing field where those with the right abilities can exercise tremendous creativity and wield vast power, but be warned: the plane has its share of both guardians and predators, and the character who causes too much upheaval or draws too much attention will likely encounter them…

Surkit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Surkit

This is hard! Epitome of outside the box

Inner_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Inner_Demon

Let's get metaphysical!

Zauberin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Zauberin  Moderator

Hey hey! This is fine. And whose work might this be, hmmm?

X_No_Name_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By X_No_Name_X

Very cool place you got here! 

I'll be sure to visit here often in my search for enlightenment  :)

Sorceror_Swift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sorceror_Swift

The astral plane always offered such an interesting location for a casual stroll. Every now and then, his wandering thoughts took form, a dog he had seen a few days ago trotted by, an amateur warlock fell from a great height repeatedly, a pair of swords clashed back and forth in midair.

shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By shanana

Oooooooooooooh

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Mercy_

Charmy?

Avatar image for curbsideprophet
CurbsideProphet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CurbsideProphet

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah

Inner_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Inner_Demon

The Demon of Silence lurked on the astral plane, his favored hunting ground. He masked his presence, watching for a weak or disoriented astral traveler. If he could overcome their mind, he could follow the connection back to their physical body and claim it as his own. Once he had a foothold reestablished in the physical plane, he could once again begin to advance his designs...

Belladonna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Belladonna

@Mercy_ said:

Charmy?

Nope lol, seems like my kind of catch right?:)

But I like to clarify some misconception about the Astral Plane. If I'm allowed?

Inner_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Inner_Demon

@Charmix: It's an open RP; I don't see anyone getting upset by something that adds to the experience, lol.

Excella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Excella

@Inner_Demon: I'm not angered by it lol :D, it's just bugging me that it's not perfection, this is an amazing thread :o lol

Inner_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Inner_Demon

@Excella: I'd say go for it! :D

Seems like this is a subject near and dear to you that you've acquired some expertise in, so anything you have to add would likely make the thread better. :)

Excella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Excella

@Inner_Demon: omfg<3 woohooo

It's my territory >:D No one knows more about detailing the nature of magic and psychic related resources then I do other than Rumble Man >:) heheh. But I'm well versed :D. I'll add some input in a bit hahahah ♥ Perfection here we come:D

_Quickster_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By _Quickster_

Her prowess, she scares me.

Fottiti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Fottiti

Hey! I remember you!

Inner_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Inner_Demon

The Demon of Silence sat in the astral fortress he had constructed out of the energy of the ether, brooding on a throne that appeared to be composed entirely of silently screaming skulls. His efforts on that material plane had been frustrating, of late: one victim being embraced by a vampire and another proving to be irritatingly strong-willed and defiant. He did not care for being denied his tribute of human suffering.

Still, his hand was far from played out. With a brief act of his own malevolent will, he sent a pulse of energy rippling across the astral plane. It was a call, a summons, and soon they its intended recipients began to respond, for they were incapable of doing otherwise. They flew, crept, slithered, and scurried into his throne room to grovel before his feet, their images a myriad of nightmarish and aberrant forms. They were feeders, dybbuks, astral scavengers and parasites, and debased remnants of desperate and broken minds, all of whom he had enslaved through the force of his own malignant power.

The Demon gazed at them, his army, this nauseatingly chaotic collection of the vilest entities that the fears and nightmares of sentient beings could conjure, and laughed, an inhuman, booming sound that echoed throughout the halls of his palace. They would be instruments of his vengeance, each and every one of them, and usher in an age of fear and hatred, the likes of which humanity had never known. Soon, he would feast.

Mirabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mirabel

Rose often floated through the Astral Plane, looking for hubs of knowledge that were too well guarded, long gone, or simply nonexistent on the material plane for her to reach. And compared to the endless gloom of the plane of shadow and the eternal fog of the Ethereal plane, the Astral realm was a much more friendly and open place, though it was still filled with it's dangers such as the cyclopean Astral Dreadnoughts, the vicious Astral Stalkers, Devourers, and the cruel Githyanki just to name a few. But it was an infinite plane, and there were plenty of places to explore. She felt a bit strange, being the first Novian to visit this plane in two hundred years following the destruction of her people by the magic hating Zolkri, but was otherwise largely unconcerned, she had taken many measures of precaution though, such as a virtual army of protective spells put over her Astral cord. She looked at a passing Astral Dreadnought, the gargantuan beast looking like a yellow cacodemon with arms the size of redwood trees and a body that possessed a tail than seemed to stretch off into infinity, before shrugging as she continued to explore, hoping to find a store of knowledge to help her concoct her plan to defeat Vrakmul. .

Inner_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Inner_Demon

@Mirabel: One of the astral parasites under Id's command observed Rose's passing from a safe distance. Even if it hadn't been under strict orders to only observe and report, the creature would have been suicidal to attack something so obviously fortified. Still, it would dutifully report her presence to its master, because she was certainly an interesting visitor to the plane.

Mirabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mirabel

@Inner_Demon:

Passing through the undulating sea of thought that was the Astral Plane, Rose came across an old Githyanki fortress, long abandoned to illithid raids. Deciding to try and see what was in the despoiled stronghold, she casually forced open the once vigilant but now battle scarred gates with a push of her hands, trying to see if the ancient citadel had any sources of information. A strange pulse of thoughts echoed through here, the anguish of a series of psionic battles, the Githyanki certainly fought, but the Mind Flayers were simply far more powerful in the mental arts. Hopefully the eaters of brains were more careful with the effects of the former owners of the establishment, and hopefully nothing decided to squat inside.

Inner_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Inner_Demon

@Mirabel: Id sat silently as his spy gibbered at the foot of his throne, informing his master of the curious astral traveler. Powerful, no doubt, which meant dangerous, but therein lay the intrigue. Deciding to take a look for himself, Id stood, and shifted his appearance. Now resembling a peaceful-looking, bearded man wearing a monk's robe, he floated from the palace and towards the location that his servant indicated, hoping that his nonthreatening guise would allow him to more closely evaluate the stranger before he decided upon a course of action.

Mirabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mirabel

@Inner_Demon:

Stopping her studies of the Githyanki tomes to see the old man, she focused her orchid eyes on him, her four lungs expanding in her chest as she took a breath before floating next to him. "And you would be?" She asked, still partially focused on her studies as evidenced by her constantly looking back at the book, attempting to decipher it's contents. Although when she got to the third paragraph, her translations made her realize that the tome was some work of Erotica involving the Githyanki's rotting lich queen that definitely was not worth her time or effort, and indeed the work was so disgusting her typically placid expression became a fairly noticeable frown as she went on, so she set the book away and pulled out another tome, hopefully one less filled with disturbing smut.

Inner_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Inner_Demon

@Mirabel: He bowed deeply. "Merely a curious wanderer, friend. Not many would hunt for knowledge within a Gith citadel, regardless of its apparent state of abandonment. It must be something important which you seek."

Mirabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mirabel

"The Gith have a lich queen according to my understanding, so I was hoping they would have knowledge on how to destroy the archlich Vrakmul...even if they don't, they are an ancient and well traveled people, so it couldn't hurt to see what information they have."  Rose responded as she thumbed through the text and nodded as she saw some treastises in magic.  "Addittionally, I'm hoping they have information on two other subjects, love, and traumatic fear."  The girl continued, not wishing to state her infatuation with the earth boy John, or outright say her genetically implanted phobia of the fear dragon Vorzhilok, who turned her world and people to cinders all those years ago.

Inner_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Inner_Demon

@Mirabel: The old man nodded almost sleepily as she spoke. "Ah yes, fighting something like an archich would require some exceptional knowledge. As to the other subjects of your search, love has never been an interest of mine, but of fear," the slightest hint of malevolence flitted across his expression, "I am knowledgeable."

Mirabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mirabel

"Have you heard of an organization called the Black Hand?   That which Vrakmul runs with absolute authority? "  She asked as she noted a reference to a strange cult whose symbol was a hand in a trangle with an eye above it in the text she was reading, her voive seemingly distracted.  "They are not of this universe, and one of them, a fear dragon known as Vorzhilok, is the reason why no Novians have entered this place in two hundred earth years."   She continued as she recorded the script she was reading.  "

Inner_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Inner_Demon

@Mirabel: "I have heard of this organization, and I am aware of fear dragons, but beyond that, I have little knowledge of either. However, if you were willing to tell me more of your purpose, perhaps I could steer you towards more helpful sources," he replied in his lazy manner, his eyes half-closed.

Mirabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mirabel

@Inner_Demon:

The girl nodded as she heard his response. "I am attempting to find a way to both defeat the Black Hand before it unleashes a plot that could very well threaten the multiverse and beyond, as well as conquer a certain...genetic post traumatic stress disorder...concerning Vorzhilok. As one of the last two Novians, I have a genetic PTSD problem with Vorzhilok, the instigator of the destruction of the Novian civilization. Given that much of the Black Hand is capable of making one see their own worst fears, including Ishmael, this is quite a problem." She responded as she read more into the Gith report on the Black Hand.

She narrowed her eyes upon seeing a mention of an entire Githyanki city being destroyed in one colossal burst of energy released from what they described as "an armoured jester with a fanged skull masque and rapidly shifting billiard balls for eyes." According to the description, after the engagement with the Black Hand, the Jester appeared before them, slaughtered some of the guards, then waved a strange sort of wand that heralded the emergence of a titanic beam of strange power, not energy so much as anti-reality. The beam grew so intense and large that the thing's jaw on it's masque split off to accomodate it as the beam engulfed the entire area.

Everything in the fortress city was obliterated, disintegrated as reality itself shattered around them, leaving nothing but a massive gulf of "static" where it once was, a hole in the fabric of the cosmos the size of a mountain, along with fissures and cracks in reality. "Caliborn" She briefly muttered, knowing who was being described in this report. "Ah yes, sorry, I was distracted. But I am truthful when I say that I am attempting to overcome my genetic fear and find a way to halt the Cult's plans before they are realized, certainly with disastrous consequences for all universes." She continued, biting her lip slightly.

Inner_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Inner_Demon

@Mirabel: "Hmm..." he scratched idly at his bearded chin. "Yes, I could see where combating something that you are genetically programmed to fear would be a daunting task. How do you intend to overcome this fear?"

"Too powerful to easily dominate; too wholesome to easily corrupt...but I may yet be able to find some bargaining leverage with this one," Id mused, to himself.

Abattoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Abattoir

Letting his mind float loose from it's weak human shell. Abba broke through the barriers separating the world from the vast undercurrents of the psychic astral plane with a vengeance. A vast light intensifying in his astral body's path rippled & changed as his unconscious thoughts shaped the reality before him. The light darkened as shadows flocked towards it enveloping the environment breaking apart the spectrum. His very presences caused an eruption in vast column of red light that broke of like an arrow aim at abba trying to force him back into his body. He willed it to break apart like glass it shattered into a million pieces. His control of his environment grew with every second, Abba could feel the power here trying to flee, he grabbed it violently dragging it back to devour it. His power here increased exponentially,using it to smash every stray thought every weaker mind in order to consume it's power it's knowledge. That changed him on ways that he didn't even understand yet, but what a rush it was to him.

Looking down at his astral hands Abba noticed a vast & exciting change. Gone was the frail human body in it's place a beautiful masterpiece of agony & insanity gone wild. Circling him like an orbiting spiral was a screaming collection of floating skulls dripping blood that rained like fire as Abba floated within it's protection, but is was his body that had changed the most, far to hideous to describe with words alone abba had truly become something nightmarish standing now at a vast height. Suddenly He looked down to see entire islands before him floating in the void & made his way to greet them propelled by his psychotic thoughts.

Mirabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Mirabel

@Inner_Demon:

"Optimistically? Finding some sort of inner strength to overcome post traumatic stress disorder. Realistically? Some form of magic." She responded, floating a bit off the ground for no real reason in particular.

Inner_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Inner_Demon

@Mirabel: "Tell me," the old man yawned, "have you ever been shot with a bow and arrow?"

Mirabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Mirabel

"The bow and arrow? No, Even before I relied on my quills and had something of a shift in rogues gallery, I primarily used and faced more modern weapons.." She said as she let her eye concealing hood down, showing her orchid eyes and short blonde hair.

Inner_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Inner_Demon

@Mirabel: He nodded sagely, his eyes opening a bit more. "Many who died on the battlefield of an arrow wound did so because a well-meaning but ignorant comrade tried to pull the shaft back out of them, and the barbed head inflicted greater trauma on their mortal flesh as it was withdrawn. It was far better to push the shaft through the body."

Mirabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Mirabel

@Inner_Demon:

Batting an eye as she adjusted her black hairband the girl's expression narrowed ever so slightly. "And where are you going with this analogy?" She asked with a calm voice, black lipstick covered lips pursing ever so slightly.

Inner_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Inner_Demon

@Mirabel: He grinned, an expression that utterly lacked the warmth and humor generally associated with the expression. "You are likely to fail if you seek to simply 'undo' this trauma, and possibly even damage your psyche worse in the process. What I would suggest is that you push the fear through the wound, to the next step: anger. Anger flows naturally from fear, and while it can still be a liability in battle, it is a much less debilitating one than fear."

Mirabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mirabel
@Inner_Demon : 
Seemingly moving a little bit backwards as she spotted the unnaturally cold grin she still maintained her stoic, neutral expression.  "And how exactly do you propose to "push" a fear through a "wound"?"  She asked, her eyebrow remaining in it's cocked position, retaining an expression of stoic skepticism and a calm tone.
Inner_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Inner_Demon

@Mirabel: "In this regard, I can assist you." His unsettling grin never wavered as he spoke. "This trauma has set up a very specific mental protocol for you. Instinctively, a fear stimulus is responded to with the typical 'fight or flight' response. Your trauma ensures that your mind will reflexively elect for the 'flight' option, when faced with the source of this stimulus. I could, with a bit of work, 'reverse the polarity' of this conditioning, so to speak. The fear would then trigger a murderous battle-rage, an unstoppable urge to annihilate the source of your trauma."

Mirabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Mirabel

@Inner_Demon :

"Very well, inform me of how to reach this mental state then." She said, closing up the book she had in her hands and then placing it in the shelf, her tone remaining one of placid curiosity, perhaps an almost unsafe amount of curiosity at that.

Inner_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Inner_Demon

@Mirabel: "I am afraid that is is let a matter of teaching than it is a matter of having it performed to you." His face had grown serious, though it was with some obvious effort on his part. "I could explain the process to you, but expecting you to perform it upon yourself would be akin to asking you to perform your own appendectomy, something that even the most preeminent surgeon would be unlikely to attempt. Your trauma is neither random nor accidental, and it is designed to be extraordinarily difficult for you to affect in any meaningful way."

Mirabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Mirabel

@Inner_Demon:

"Very well then, how do I have it performed on me?" She asked, eyebrow remaining quirked, trying to keep her visions that were warning her of immediate danger quiet, reasoning that some brief suffering would be better than continuing to live with a crippling fear of Vorzhilok for the rest of her life.

Inner_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Inner_Demon

@Mirabel: "Simply put," he said, steepling his fingers and cocking his head slightly, "you would allow me access to your mind, lowering your psychic defenses so that I might enter and make the necessary change. Once I have that access, the process should be near-instantaneous."

Mirabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Mirabel

@Inner_Demon:

She briefly considered the deal, before nodding and lowering her mental barriers, an almost audible hum that nearly sounded like machinery powering down throbbing through the psychic currents and eddies of the golden plane to allow him access into her quite unusual mind.

Inner_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Inner_Demon

@Mirabel: "Done."

Without hesitation, he entered her mind. It was structured quite differently than the human minds he was used to operating within, but the differences disoriented him for only the briefest of moments; it was certainly not the first non-human mind he had gained access to. The response center that affected the adrenal response was never difficult to find, and the programming that had been imposed upon it was not complicated. When a fear response was triggered, the mind was essentially faced with a forked path, one leading to panic, mental paralysis, and frantic retreat, and the other to anger, rage, and a furious desire to strike at the source of the fear. Most minds tended to favor one response over the other, but Vorzhilok's trauma had essentially created a filter, one that would cause Mirabel's mind to shut off the path that would allow her to respond aggressively. It was a simple matter of shifting that filter to the other path, ensuring that Mirabel would now be incapable of feeling anything but a homicidal fury when she encountered Vorzhilok. She would not be in a mindless rage, but she would be utterly incapable of retreating or taking a course of action that did not directly relate to the dragon's destruction without powerful coercion.

As he retreated from her mind, he reached out, subtly, touching each layer of her mental defenses, sampling their energy, and attuning himself to their frequency. Once he had time to analyze what he had learned, he would be able to structure his own energy so that it could bypass her defenses entirely in the future, regardless of how high she raised them. This would have been impossible to do from the outside, but once she had allowed him access, she had bared the nature of her defenses for him to observe. For everything, a price, he mused, malevolently chuckling to himself.

"And it is finished," he said out loud.

Avatar image for vorzhilok_the_traumatizer
Vorzhilok_the_Traumatizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Inner_Demon:

As vorzhilok continued some work for Kamal, he briefly sensed something of a disturbance in the fear gene he implantedinto someone, little suspecting that someone had just helped one of his victims overcome the fear he had implanted into them. Mirabel though, an entire plane of existence away, nodded as she felt the presence leave her head, shaking it a bit as she adjusted her hair band once again. "Thank you, perhaps I shall bring you my brother as well? He also has the same issues as I do." The girl responded, a faint smile forming on her face.

Inner_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Inner_Demon

@Vorzhilok_the_Traumatizer: The old man bowed, his hood casting a shadow across his face. "Perhaps you should."