• 200 results
Posted by Rosso (5459 posts) - - Show Bio

▌│█║▌║▌║ Welcome to the Digital Underworld ║▌║▌║█│▌

Largely unknown to the general populous, rumors swirl among those who dabble in recondite information. They tell of a market hosted on an unfamiliar part of the Internet, within the Deep Web. A place scarcely heard of, it cannot be found on Google, Yahoo, nor in any way typical of Internet browsing because it sits on a hidden, encrypted area of the Internet as part of the Dark Net. But it is free to use and easy to find, if one knows how to look. All that is required is simple (and free) Tor software. Because the market is only accessible through onion routing, the same traffic encryption services that conceals the site itself also hides users and their activities.

Upon navigating the proper channels, users are greeted by a list. On the list are various names, each doubling as a link. Through the link are physical details such as height, weight and build, skin tone, eye color, hair color and length; personal habits, and psychological traits. Beside these details are photographs. Many are photos of easily recognizable people: prominent politicians, business owners, celebrities, and occasionally wayward heroes foolish enough to act without reliably concealing their identities. Next to each picture is also an amount of money.

The list is a hit list.

Run by an enigmatic assassin, the site is founded upon one simple idea: If you could pay to have someone murdered with no chance—absolutely zero chance—of being caught, you would.

The instructions are simple:

1. Add a name to the list
  2. Add money to the pot in the person's name
  3. Predict when the person will die
  4. Correct predictions win the pot

On the surface, many would consider these bets pointless. After all, how could one possibly predict the precise date any man or women will die? Under normal circumstances, these individuals would be correct. Herein comes the market's final instruction:

5. Making your prediction come true is entirely optional.

What would you do under the conditions of complete anonymity?
What would you do under the conditions of complete anonymity?

Notable Names

TargetPot
Hawkshade$500,000
Grimmwald$750,000

OOC

Should be pretty straightforward, but if there are any questions, feel free to ask me.

• Standard CVnU rules apply.
  • People are free to use the idea . Just sell the secrecy of the site.
  • Not asking for a lot, really. The path has already been laid out. Just don't go all "found it on Google" when the OP clearly states that it can't be found that way. And you don't know the person who runs the site. [Unless you do. If you have to wonder, you don't.]
  • But also, if you want to say your character's name was on the list and do something with that, or have your character hunting an NPC who's on the list, you can just make that up; don't even need to ask.
  • For the sake of interest/fun, if you want to legit add a PC (or notable NPC), feel free to type up the information (and a picture if you'd like) - no metagaming, so details would only be what the person submitting would know - and I can add it to the OP.
  • Standard contracts may also be taken; assassins should know, however, that this comes with increased risks.
  • Have fun, or you might end up on the list.

#1 Posted by Rosso (5459 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks to Gambler. He sourced me that gif.

#2 Edited by Alpha_Dog (1046 posts) - - Show Bio

Now this is cool.

#3 Posted by Hawkshade (4974 posts) - - Show Bio
The killing must be stopped.
The killing must be stopped.

#4 Posted by Rosso (5459 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for clockworkwraith
#5 Posted by ClockworkWraith (21 posts) - - Show Bio

So, if I'm reading it right, it's just a straight-up time of death betting arena, with the added bonus that if you really need that $50,000 from having John Smith die at 4:37pm on Tuesday, you hire an assassin for $5k and make sure it gets done properly?

Seems like a cool idea. I'm sure everyone will agree to that - purely because it's a cool idea, of course, and not because of that bit about anyone who doesn't getting themselves added to the list. That'd be silly.

#6 Posted by Musa_Bashir (1010 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm adding Hawkshade to the list

$10,000

Two days

#7 Posted by Hawkshade (4974 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm adding Hawkshade to the list

$10,000

Two days

Not if I get you first, murderer
Not if I get you first, murderer

#8 Posted by Musa_Bashir (1010 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawkshade:

I've never murdered anyone. Who didnt deserve it
I've never murdered anyone. Who didnt deserve it

#9 Edited by Rosso (5459 posts) - - Show Bio

@clockworkwraith: That's one way to go about it, yes.

I'd certainly hope not. Otherwise, I'd have to tell those people...

#10 Posted by Hawkshade (4974 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Edited by Yggdmillennia (1243 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by _Dirge_ (3667 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting.

#13 Posted by Hawkshade (4974 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by Tessa_Callahan (1670 posts) - - Show Bio

This is badass.

#15 Posted by Rosso (5459 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by Tessa_Callahan (1670 posts) - - Show Bio

@rosso: 5.... waitaminute, this seems fishy.

#17 Posted by Rosso (5459 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by Tessa_Callahan (1670 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by Rosso (5459 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by Tessa_Callahan (1670 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by Rosso (5459 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by Tessa_Callahan (1670 posts) - - Show Bio

@rosso: Sure, sure, let's go with that.

#23 Posted by Hawkshade (4974 posts) - - Show Bio

ℑ𝔫𝔳𝔢𝔰𝔱𝔦𝔤𝔞𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫

No Caption Provided

The Cave, 5:13 AM.

Thick fingers tapped the keys of the Dell laptop, it's scratched screen displaying the Onion logo of TOR while the vigilante slouched in his chair and searched the darkweb, looking for an unscrupulous market from which he could replenish his stocks of gas and smoke grenades.

Drugs. He kept scrolling. Kalashnikov. He kept scrolling. Rare Pepes. He kept scrolling. Something about betting on wetwork. He raised an eyebrow and followed the link.

Politicians. Celebrities. Businessmen. A few vigilantes. Himself.

He stopped and took a closer look. Ten grand? That didn't seem like very much. He chuckled but made a mental note to track down the site and it's owners. This needed to be stopped.

#24 Edited by Noah_Noble (302 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

His clumsy weathered fingers haphazardly fumbled across the beaten down tiles of his keyboard. All manner of sauce unnoticeably slipping from the bottom of his sandwhich as he focused on the screen. His suit and gauntlets just recklessly laid out in plain sight in the poorly lit living room of the Sinister Shockwave's studio apartment.

Grunts and other occasion involuntary actions illustrating the rise or fall in attention as the list of names assigned to a $ sign scrolled along the monitor.

"Mmmmm. Mm. Mmmm. Lets see lets see" He spoke to himself. Often. The curse of an isolated mind and introverted social skills. But through the Digital Underworld he wasnt alone. Was no longer isolated. There were millions of people in the DU and they all needed him. All willing to pay top $ for him to get rid of their problems.

"Okay then. Hawkshade...ten grand and I aint even gotta travel..." Taking time to wipe his hands on his shirt before applying for the contract.

#25 Posted by Rosso (5459 posts) - - Show Bio

"Mmmmm. Mm. Mmmm. Lets see lets see" He spoke to himself. Often. The curse of an isolated mind and introverted social skills. But through the Digital Underworld he wasnt alone. Was no longer isolated.

Awww, I wanna give him a hug! (Well, if he cleaned himself up a bit. That whole sloppy business ain't gonna fly.)

But at the same time...

suit and gauntlets

No Caption Provided

#26 Posted by Musa_Bashir (1010 posts) - - Show Bio

@rosso: Kill him and take them!

#27 Posted by Rosso (5459 posts) - - Show Bio

@musa_bashir: Honestly I thought about that. Part of me feels like I should let him get first crack at Hawk before moving on his tech and his life; part of me wants to let them go at it for a bit and then interject while they're fighting, take him out and get the gauntlets.

Or I might do...we'll see.

Well, you'll see. I'll do.

#28 Posted by Musa_Bashir (1010 posts) - - Show Bio

@rosso:

The wait and see approach is always a wise choice.

#29 Posted by Hawkshade (4974 posts) - - Show Bio

No Caption Provided

His clumsy weathered fingers haphazardly fumbled across the beaten down tiles of his keyboard. All manner of sauce unnoticeably slipping from the bottom of his sandwhich as he focused on the screen. His suit and gauntlets just recklessly laid out in plain sight in the poorly lit living room of the Sinister Shockwave's studio apartment.

Grunts and other occasion involuntary actions illustrating the rise or fall in attention as the list of names assigned to a $ sign scrolled along the monitor.

"Mmmmm. Mm. Mmmm. Lets see lets see" He spoke to himself. Often. The curse of an isolated mind and introverted social skills. But through the Digital Underworld he wasnt alone. Was no longer isolated. There were millions of people in the DU and they all needed him. All willing to pay top $ for him to get rid of their problems.

"Okay then. Hawkshade...ten grand and I aint even gotta travel..." Taking time to wipe his hands on his shirt before applying for the contract.

You'll travel alright. To prison.
You'll travel alright. To prison.

#30 Posted by Rosso (5459 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawkshade: Don't worry about him.

I take care of that...for a price.
I take care of that...for a price.

#31 Posted by Hawkshade (4974 posts) - - Show Bio

@rosso:

You've brought enough lives to an end.
You've brought enough lives to an end.

#32 Posted by Rosso (5459 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawkshade:

Enough to ask for competitive pricing, I hope.
Enough to ask for competitive pricing, I hope.

#33 Edited by Hawkshade (4974 posts) - - Show Bio

@rosso:

There has been a misunderstanding
There has been a misunderstanding

#34 Posted by Rosso (5459 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Posted by Hawkshade (4974 posts) - - Show Bio

@rosso:

It has come to an end. As will your killing spree.
It has come to an end. As will your killing spree.

#36 Posted by Noah_Noble (302 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by Hawkshade (4974 posts) - - Show Bio
#38 Posted by Rosso (5459 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawkshade: Okay.

But only once I have as many kills as you.
But only once I have as many kills as you.

#39 Posted by Hawkshade (4974 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Posted by Rosso (5459 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Posted by Noah_Noble (302 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawkshade: Wouldnt be the first time

LETS FIND OUT
LETS FIND OUT

#42 Posted by Hawkshade (4974 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by Hawkshade (4974 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Posted by Rosso (5459 posts) - - Show Bio

@musa_bashir: I did a thing.

Hmm...Nope.

No.

Nope.

Not a chance.

Nearly perfect, but...not enough money. Tag it for later. Time makes us all desperate. Price will rise.

Nope.

Nope.

Clearly a lure. Only an idiot would fall for that.

Languidly, now, Valentina scanned the updated list of targets in the general pool. Scanned long enough to have zoned out at least five times over, scroll back up to where she last remembered, and back down. But so far nothing felt right. Politicians seemed in vogue as always, as were celebrities. Even a few celebrity politicians. Mostly though, everything seemed out of reach.

This early in her career it'd be a mistake to go after government officials or an extremely well-known public figure. No one valued by the public in any real capacity. It wasn't worth the risk. Even if she could pull it off--and she believed she could--she might be marked. Spotted by anyone from security personnel to a random passerby. And Valentina had neither the resources, funds nor connections to deal with the American authorities on a nationwide manhunt.

What's–"Eh? Vigilante?" A peculiarity; mentally she searched for the word in Japanese.Oh, that's right. Good people exist in this country. Valentina chuckled. I am hilarious. But...Hawkshade? He was no vigilante she'd ever heard of. Still, he'd ticked someone off enough that they were willing to pay ten grand for his life, and that was just perfect. Ten grand was a lot to her. Perfect for a low-risk job too. Not many of those existed in Madripoor. "Heroes" had a tendency to disappear. Why should America be any different?

And what's more, someone (@noah_noble) had already signed on. Valentina stopped and stared at the screen briefly. Then she followed suit. Afterwards, she reached out with a message to the assassin.

It read, simply:

{Hawkshade, the vigilante. Want to make this more interesting?}

#45 Posted by Noah_Noble (302 posts) - - Show Bio
#46 Edited by Noah_Noble (302 posts) - - Show Bio

@rosso:

Gothic Central Elementary
3:00pm est.

Parked outside the suburban elementary school in his 2015 Ford Mustang wedged between the sea of soccer mom caravans and suv hybrids, Noah stared off into space while the school's bell went off in the background. Not that he had noticed. He was too distracted by his decision to come out of retirement to hunt down the relatively unknown urban ronin of Gothic, the Hawkshade.

Why this time? Why this time was there a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach? Why was it telling him to cut bait and submit to a life of insurmountable debt, divorce and a never ending custody battle. That he was losing. After all, who the ! was the Hawkshade? Never did nothing no glory having cowl rip off of a dead era of weak ass vigilantes. ! HIM AND THE SEVEN BITCHES WHO LOOK JUS LIKE EM!

"Hey daddy"

Noah's out of control internal monologue was shockingly interrupted by the angelic voice. Crawling into the passenger seat next to him, little Leila Noble, innocent big bright eyed Leila Noble. Energetically she slipped her purple and pink backpack into the not so spacious backseat.

"Mom says I'm not suppose to ride in this car." her nose wrinkling with involuntary microexpressions. The kind of child like cinema that only an observant father could truly appreciate.

No Caption Provided

"Ha!"stylishly shifting the car into gear with its aggressive suicide clutch "You wanna get out and walk? Or you wanna be an outlaw with your old man?"

All she had to do was smile. "Hold on." he roguishly laughed before peeling out of line with controlled but reckless acceleration.

𝟽 ʜʀs ʟᴀᴛᴇʀ

Terry's Tavern
10:00 est
I'm in
I'm in

A half empty shot glass rested next to the barely sober Sinister Shockwave as his head rested in the crux of his folded arms on the table. Flashes, nightmarish photographic memories of what had happened a few hours earlier plagued his intoxicated mind.

What were you thinking? You know you cant just show up like that and take her. We have an agreement. The courts involved now, you did that not me.

Shooting up as if spiked with adrenaline Noah finished his drink and checked his phone.

"Huh...interesting you say"

Texting back: I'm, 𝕀𝕟

#47 Posted by Rosso (5459 posts) - - Show Bio

Nononono no no no no no....

Don't do this to me.

#48 Posted by Noah_Noble (302 posts) - - Show Bio

@rosso: hahah do what? lets kill us a hawk

#49 Edited by Rosso (5459 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Posted by Cleaver (127 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided