New guy. How does creating a character go?

Avatar image for tanakaclinkenbeard
TanakaClinkenbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just want to know if the character you make has to be based on a previous character or how to join other RPGs. Do I have to post a thread about the character?

Avatar image for killer_instinct
Killer_Instinct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tanakaclinkenbeard:

Well, yes in one way and no in another.

Sometimes there are characters that are almost exactly like their comic counterparts but a lot of times that changes given interactions and story. As far as joining RPs it's usually a matter of asking :]

And you can make a blog post about your character if that makes things easier, whatever is more convenient and fun for you!

Avatar image for demonboundsitri
demonboundSitri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Usually what we do here is we use the account itself to run each character - so in RPG, every account is its own character, and some people who choose to run more than one character will have multiple accounts.

When you've got an account you want to make into a character, use the "Settings" tab to fill in all that info about your character. That way, when people click on your "About Me" they can read all about your character. It's okay on the RPG subforum to have alts, even though people don't do that on the rest of CV. A really useful trick if you have a gmail account is that you can use mygmail+charactername@gmail.com repeatedly, rather than having to create new email addresses for each character you want to run. There are a few other emails that support this as well.

Some good things to include:

Name and Alias, if applicable. Your "Clark Kent / Superman" info.

Brief bio/history. When you're a new character, you don't need a tome, but people tend to fill this out as their character does stuff through various RPGs.

Powers, Equipment, Abilities: Does your character cast "Magic Missile?" Does he have gadgets like Batman? What can he do, and how does he do it? It's a good idea not to go overboard - if your character is designed to be the best of the best at absolutely everything, people aren't going to want to RP with them as much. It can be a really good idea to pick a niche and make the most of it. You can always pick up more powers and skills through RPs.

Origin - how'd your character get their powers? Why do they have them?

Goals, Morality, Personality, Alignment: Are you an evil megalomaniac who wants to take over the world? Are you an uncertain young hero just exploring how to use his skills? How is your character going to fit into the world?

Once you get that done, start looking around at other characters - in fact, it can be a good idea to do that first, too, so that you're not running exactly the same character as someone else. Take a peek at who's active and what they do, that can give you an idea of what's going on. Also try to get an idea of what "look" the active people are using. You don't want to be in an RP where every single person looks like Superman, that would be silly. Choose a unique look that you feel fits your character - it can be anything from comics to live action to anime to actors. It's also perfectly fine if you decide you want to change it up later, I think Sitri (this character) has been through about 4 iterations as far as look goes as she's changed over time.

When you're ready, there's a "So you want to RP" thread somewhere around here, or you can absolutely just hit people up via PM and ask them if they want to do something with your character. There's also a stickied "Beginner's Thread" that's pretty helpful.

And always feel free to ask questions! There are lots of people here who will be happy to help.

Avatar image for tanakaclinkenbeard
TanakaClinkenbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for killer_instinct
Killer_Instinct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ParagonxXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tanakaclinkenbeard: Welocme to the RPG section! If you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask. ^_^

Lucian_LeBeau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Orange_Water

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DwRonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot has been covered in pretty good detail. This is just a welcome from me!

dusk_zephyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welcome! I'm kinda new too so I won't know as much as these people. I'll help as much as I can though.