Misconceptions of your character

wild cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Wildcat is no one trick pony. And although he favors boxing as his primary discipline, he has mastered all martial arts that was available to him at the time of his learning and knows their respective principles by heart, despite him not really following most of them.

Avatar image for deactivated-642516d22f522
deactivated-642516d22f522

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wild cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultra-woman: Oh by principles I mean more mindset and life principles that was thought with the specific martial art rather than the actual principles regarding to the technique itself. If that makes any sense.

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2804  Edited By Rosso
@ultra-woman said:

@wild_cat: Then why did he learn them? ~_^

I know he already clarified but I just got out of sparring not too long ago and I'm still on my game.

Eh. When you first start out, any good coach is probably gonna ride you hard about keeping your hands up and watching your footwork almost obsessively, making sure everything moves in concert, and often they're really stiff about the way you hold yourself. (Not that you hold yourself stiff, but they're adamant about doing things a certain way to maximize your ability to be loose, to move and act effectively.) Once you get a handle on the mechanics, and the timing and learning your range, you can play around with those things a bit more. When you see a Muhammad Ali, Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whitaker or a Roy Jones (etc.) doing something unorthodox, it's more out of a personal preference than anything else.

For example, a lot of fighters learn that when you're in the open stance (orthodox vs southpaw), you should prioritize lead leg dominance (i.e. keep your lead leg on the outside of the other person's lead leg). But when Ali fought southpaws, or Sweet Pea (who was a southpaw) fought orthodox fighters, they were fond of inverting this principle. I've actually made great use of that myself. I've found a lot of people try to maintain "lead leg dominance" but don't really understand why they're "supposed to." One of the major ideas, apart from just being able to cut angles and turn your opponent, is that if you keep your leg outside of his, you line him or her up with your power shot (the rear hand), especially the cross, while avoiding his/her power cross.

However, maintaining that "dominance" also has the effect of limiting your lead a bit more. You don't really have a jab, or your lead hook. So inverting this, Ali and Sweet Pea would at times step inside the lead leg. This entails playing with fire a bit (both fighter, but if you're Muhammd Ali (particularly in his prime when he was untouchable) or Pernell Whitaker, you can play with fire a bit because your reflexes are fast and you know what you're doing. Small steps inside, and then using the rear leg to cross over outside when they needed to, you could effectively get back your jab (Ali loved the jab) and your hook but not jam your lead leg up when you wanted to try to get back outside, moving you away from the opponent's cross and aligning them better with yours when you were set.

Bit of an oversimplification, but just one fair (I feel it's fair) example of why you should learn the principles even if you're going to subvert them. Having that flexibility will often put you well ahead of those who rigidly adhere to a specific set of ideas. But you have to know it. (Prince Naseem Hamed, for the time he was active, also made a career of subverting the general principles and befuddling a lot more orthodox fighters by knowing the principles behind their reactions and subverting them in the right ways.)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wild cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rosso: To go a little of topic here, Prince Naseem's chin along with incredible reflexes, (very much like Ali) were major factors in them being able to get away with not only bending basic principles to their advantage but by also completely turning said fundamentals over their head.

It is still baffling to me how much Ali got away with leaning and pulling directly straight back against heavyweights no less.

Another parallel between Ali and Hamed that I think is worth noting is that whenever they fought an incredible, technically sound boxer, they struggled.

Norton and Frazier for Ali, Barerra and Kelly for Hamed.

Not trying to one up or anything. Just like discussing fights, fighting and standup in general.

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wild_cat:

I didn't think you were trying to one-up until you said
I didn't think you were trying to one-up until you said "not trying to one-up."

I've got my eyes on you sucka!

wild cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2808  Edited By wild cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Caitlin has noticed many times her name is often misspelled by others as C-A-I-T-L-Y-N (Caitlyn). Her name is actually spelled as C-A-I-T-L-I-N (Caitlin).

Adepta-Occulta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She doesn't hate mutants. It's complicated.

Kyushi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeremiah isn't a reality warper by definition. While a manipulator has to change reality in some shape or form in order to accomplish what they want. Jeremiah doesn't (at least no every time), he simply defies the logic or rules that prevent or effect certain actions.

Ex: "A city cannot be built overnight" he simply can do so, because he doesn't need to adhere to logic nor reasoning. He doesn't need to change reality because his actions aren't bounded by justification

However, he can't defy all forms of logic yet. As levels of logic are enforced by various levels of strength. Such as the logic statement "Can't be stronger than an Omnipotent being" are usually enforced by that Omnipotent being. So he gains power through the destruction of logical structures and the creation of illogical ones so he can defy higher forms of logic.

Lumine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Her Neophobia scales proportionally, new things that are small she can get over quickly unless it's a vast quantity.

Big things that are new are much harder.

Strife_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Not at all a master of space and time. Portals are one thing. Time travel is another. He only uses portals. That's it.
  • He may or may not be human. Who knows?
wild cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Despite Wildcat's dominance in the boxing ring, he has lost many sparring sessions.

Avatar image for sar_annihilator
SAR_Annihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Many say he is the Grim Reaper of the DC Universe but truth is, Black Racer is is nothing like that at all.

Winter_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2816  Edited By Winter_Lord

A big slow witted dummy, believe it or not despite having the title of a lord.