Locale: Anonymous (CVnU thread)

Kaine_Reilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@amazonian:

No...Ven's just challenged in the head XD. And I didn't have to challenge you. I just loved pissing her off lmaooo it was so much fun XD

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0fac097137a
deactivated-5e0fac097137a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kaine_reilly:

That's kind of hard to believe when she was destroying every argument that was thrown at her, lol. Anger her? You weren't even in that debate xD. You were there, but you didn't take part in it. Remember when I had Ven explain her purpose for destroying the world? It was a debate between her and the Sentinel's Namor character.

Kaine_Reilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazonian: (Oh I don't mean in her philosophy debates. That's just a matter of personal thought, I mean I love that Alex can personally piss her off by doing virtually nothing.)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kaine_reilly:

Ah okay I get you now. I think that's an opinion, seeing as how Alex managed to actually do something to anger her 90 percent of the time. Don't make me go through the list xD

Kaine_Reilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazonian: (It's not the point that I had to do anything. All it took was a few things. That's what made it so sweet for him lmao. He had to do practiacally NOTHING to drive you completely up the wall with him XD)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kaine_Reilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazonian:

*Remembers when she cried when getting partnered with me and Connor

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kaine_reilly: *I meant whistles*

That was So-so's strategy, lol. In all honesty though Alex has only done two things to get under Ven's skin.

1. His heroic speech (First meeting. That wasn't even intended to anger her, seeing as how Alex and her never interacted before. She also got mad at Will for introducing himself before or after.

2. Expecting Juno to thank him

And the second one wasn't even the actual Alex. Now let's go back and see how many times Ven has made both Alex and Alexx look like a fool both in canon and in non-canon. When the true Alex can actually catch up and do some damage, then we can have this discussion, lol.

Trinity-Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8009  Edited By Trinity-Blue

@amazonian:

There isn't a thing that exists that's better than me.
There isn't a thing that exists that's better than me.

[She was created by Nordok and, indeed, her head filled with lies. Not sure if I'd call it "brainwashed" so much as "conditioned from the start." (I mostly think of brainwashed as a sort of "conversion" type deal.]

@lamartheslayer: The epitome of chaotic neutral.

Kaine_Reilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazonian: Neither of them were Alex XDD, those were both Alexx)

Kaine_Reilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Soliton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soliton: Abigail squinted, head cocked slightly as she tried to work through what exactly Amani was saying, fighting the instinctive urge to pull back in her confusion, and an ambivalent rejection of everything Amani just said. As long as she'd been at it, still Abby could hardly get a pulse on how she herself felt. Once upon a time she'd have accepted it as truth. But that last encounter with Ivana...

Just one more way the veteran heroine had been ruined by her worst foes. Reality was cold. But she needn't be, not to a child. So she fought against the irritation of the spirit inside her and didn't offer a direct retort. "Who is 'them,' Amani? Mutants? Criminals? Were you hurt? Did you hurt someone?"

Why is it different?

Her fist clenched and her gaze had lingered away from Abby's own. The way she saw it, her anger wasn't towards her as it was more so towards some abstract fact. Angry at reality and the way the world really seemed to be. Abby pressed and pressed, so she let it go for now. Amani was the one with a whole lot of questions to answer. Not Abby.

“I did get hurt a few times. I got shot once." She held her hand over her side, and contemplated briefly saying "I deserve it." But something felt wrong about saying that. As though she wanted pity, rather than resolution. To make some kind of sense out of the way she feels. The best she could do was get to the point and speak unambiguously.

She took a deep breath.

"...But I'm here, so that doesn't matter. There was one thing, where I did hurt someone. Undeniably. Blew hos arm off, because I panicked when he shot me." She'd come to understand herself, the nature of her power. It was like a muscle and was at least partially governed by emotion. Like how a person blinks in the face of a fist or flinches to get out of the way. The ambient cacklingnof electricity, like adrenaline surgong through the muscle. "And there was another time. I had the bracelet on and there was a news interview. The lady did me a favor and kept my identity anonymous but, a bunch of people gathered around me asking me questions and then they all dropped. I tried to save all of them but I couldn't."

The word rattled out almost robotically. Instinctively. It was as thought that, she had known all this time what it was she wanted to say.

"I found this." She took out a small, burnt device. "I at least got Elliot to look at it. He told me that it's some kind of powerful electric device. Like an electric bomb."

She sighes and puts the remains of the device in her pocket.

She looks down, knowing what she wants to say, but not saying it. There is a cloud there, blocking her mind. She takes a deep breath, and exhales it from her mouth.

No Caption Provided

"Abby..." Word comes clear as day. "I thought I could be like you, but I realized I can't be. Maybe I could, with years of practice. But how many lives would that cost? I don't wanna be a superhero anymore. Not like you are. I wanna do something different. Maybe, be able to save lives, like I did before...but it feels like, everywhere I go, no matter what I do, people die. I could be walking in the street as I was and....people die."

Shoulders slump, and the words stop as she looks down, defeated.

"I don't know what to do."

The ice cream she had ordered has long melted into a thick milk.

Avatar image for deactivated-60324cd907a0e
deactivated-60324cd907a0e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@duchess

Outer Space

The Blue Eagle
The Blue Eagle

Clouds of cosmic dust stretched across the blackness of space like strokes of paint on a canvas. In the distance, some stars twinkled as they did in the night skies of planets, and others perished in the brightest spectacles known to man. Racing through space like a hurricane - a solar wind blown by a sun - the Blue Eagle left violent streaks of anti-protons in it's wake. Piloting it as he patrolled the Solar System's cosmic neighborhood for glimpses of an Imperium invasion, Achilles' face caught the cool glow of a holographic screen.

||-Alert. Unidentified high-energy body in close proximity-||, the measured monotone of a V.I. (Virtual Intelligence) warned. "Unidentified?", the American God murmured, brow raised with curiosity. "Deploy the probes", Achilles commanded. Daring not heed it's creator's words, the V.I. deployed a flock of nano-probes. Soaring close, the nano-probes glimpsed at the flaming light of something barreling through space like a rogue star. Their gazes held and their sensors studied while Achilles awaited an answer, his curiosity rising the longer nothing was said.

The nano-probes swept through every scan till all but two gave them the answer that the American God so desperately sought. The thermographic scan identified heat emitted from organs, from fluid flow, and the bio-electric scan identified electric flares from muscle fibers. The "unidentified high-energy body" so-called - was a living thing. A person. But was it friend or foe? Achilles could only wonder as he blinked the Blue Eagle's lights, flaring them at five second intervals as an invitation for them to board the ship.

duchess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@8th_wonder:

A Memory—Distant but Familiar…

A once beautiful planet had been coated in dark grey ash during its final hours. Much of its population had already perished during the initial assaults, and, those who remained, said hollow goodbyes to whatever living beings they could find. The entire world had become deathly silent, marking the macabre end of a once flourishing civilization.

“…we love you…”

A young girl stares helplessly into the eyes of her parents. She watches as her mother chokes backs tears, and her father tries to absorb every detail of his daughter’s face for what might be his last time. The girl does her best to appear strong, to hold out hope even in the hours of complete desperation. She reaches out a hand for them, but is confined to the walls of a compact ship. The ship’s design, millenniums ahead of modern Earth, reflects the technological advancements of the civilization form which it was born. The girl presses her hand against the ship’s clear outer shield, mouthing back to her parents.

“I love you, too.”

Another explosion shakes the entire planet. Ash continues to pour form the sky as a thick, dark, unidentifiable mass continues to break through the planet’s protected outer-atmosphere. Another impact breaks the shield entirely. The girl screams from inside her ship, crying out against all odds that she’ll get one final minute in the life she once knew. Instead, a brilliant white light swallows the entire planet, blinding the girl with the vision of her parents burned into her mind. And then, nothing…

Today—In a Random Corner of an Entirely Different Universe

Stardust trickled soft light across the indifferent blackness of infinity. Cold, empty space where everything and nothing existed together. In a limitless universe, nothing truly mattered. Which could only mean that everything, even the smallest detail, had just as much meaning as everything else.

In a particularly unimportant corner of eternity, a figure floated along without any meaningful direction. The woman’s body had remained in this state for only a moment, and also for several lifetimes. Time had no relevance where she drifted. Without anything of interest surrounding her, she had been peacefully at rest for an unperceivable length of time.

Now, something foreign stirred her into awareness. It came back to her slowly, for she had nearly forgotten entirely what awareness felt light. But as a steady light continued to flash on and off in her direction, she finally found the correct muscles to flutter her eyelids open.

As soon as she did, horrific memories flooded her veins.

She sped toward the unfamiliar vessel, her hands and eyes ablaze with concentrated energy. Her last conscious memory had been of her family and home under attack, and now, awake from her eternal sleep without knowledge of the time that had passed since those days, she had every intention of fighting back.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@duchess:

"Right"

The rhythmic strobe of the Blue Eagle's lights gave color to the black void of space, yet in doing so it drew the ire of a being of fantastic power. ||-Sir, the unidentified body is accelerating towards the vessel with rising energy levels-||, a V.I. warned, it's voice reaching Achilles' ear with an urgency it did not often display. "Right", the American God noted, surrendering control of the ship to the V.I. Rising from his seat, Achilles rolled his armored shoulders loose and strode towards the airlock. "Don't retaliate just yet. Maybe blinking lights at five second intervals is a threat instead of a signal in that alien's culture".

With the Mind Lavaliere in his possession, the American God abandoned the heart of his ship for the cold of the cosmos. A demigod who need not breathe to survive, Achilles soared free by telekinetic flight made possible by the Mind Lavaliere. His super-sight pierced through the folds of space-time, and he glimpsed at the alien racing towards him. It was a woman, with flaming hair and energy crackling round her eyes and hands like a firestorm. They were not of the same world, and unbeknownst to the American God - not of the same universe.

So, Achilles reached out to her in a language known to all things sentient; telepathy. A psychic breeze flowed calm and gentle from the Mind Lavaliere, and from it, the American God's thoughts echoed to the alien's mind, if she would receive them.

My name is Achilles, and I'm not your enemy, his thoughts declared.

I saw you floating here in space, alone.

Do you need help? I can fly you back to your homeworld if you'd like.

I have a ship you can rest in.

duchess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@8th_wonder:

Her fist clenched as the muscles in her arms prepared to launch a bolt of searing energy toward the foreign ship. Just before the moment of release, an unfamiliar presence touched her mind. It carried no words understandable to her, but it spoke in the universal language of feeling, one she immediately recognized as friendly.

Her forward projection came to an instantaneously halt just inches before a humanoid figure. Her eyes, an otherworldly green dazzling with the light of stars, studied the figure curiously. It loosely reflected the anatomy of men from her home, with several variations.

In a movement of ethereal grace, she reached forward, placing her hand against the man’s cheek for a brief moment before pulling away.

“Who are you? Where am I?” she spoke hesitantly. Her muscles struggled to relax, their instincts fighting to defend their master against a threat that no longer existed. She had no reason not to trust the man’s welcoming psyche, however, her experience before oblivion had left her permanently wary.

“My name is Candis. My home is—was—the planet Venus.”

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@duchess:

A moment ago, she was roaring for his throat with a scorching fury. But in seconds, both reason and diplomacy had prevailed. And there she floated, in the darkness of space with glowing skin and flaming hair, as though she were a star masquerading as a woman. Though as her hand glided towards his face, Achilles fought the instinct to withdraw into a warrior's shell, for what message would resistance send to a stranger as distressed as she? A stranger whose first instinct was to ignite the fires of war. The graze of her fingertips on his cheek was subtle, short - but meaningful.

For a second later, she spoke. Her name was Candis, and she claimed Venus as her home. Curiosity furrowed the American God's brow, for Achilles knew Venus to be a scorched inferno of sulfuric acid. Inhospitable, and poisonous.

"Venus? Second planet from the Sun? I've never known it to have life".

"Clearly, we have somethings to learn from one another. My name is Achilles".

Glancing back at the Blue Eagle as it's light blinked away, the American God continued, "My immediate instinct is to invite you back to my ship. But if that attempted attack told me anything, it's that you're wary and temporarily conditioned to respond to the unknown with aggression".

"Something happened to you, Candis. And for now, I'd rather speak with you here", he gestured - to the stars, nebulae and all things on the cosmos' black canvas, "In open space where you won't feel boxed in with walls and a stranger. So, what happened? You mentioned Venus as your homeworld but the Venus I know is an infernal planet with a very thick atmosphere that rains acid".

"And you mentioned it in the past tense - was - as though it's been destroyed. And you're all the way out here, very far from the Solar System".

duchess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@8th_wonder:

His words stunned her. For a moment, she forgot her present circumstances entirely, as she tried to wrap her mind around the possibility of his words. Venus? Infernal planet? She struggled to imagine such a reality. The home she had known had always been vibrant, alive with mountains and lakes and cities born from beauty and love.

“Achilles,” she tested the sound of his name on her lips. It pleased her. “That is a warrior’s name. Strong, and beautiful.”

Candis glowed brilliantly against the dark space surrounding her. It seemed as though she were a sun herself. Growing, collecting light, then pouring it out with a dazzling turn of her head or wave of her hand. It was impossible to comprehend her features in a glance, for her appearance seemed to shift as quickly and enchantingly as the light of the stars themselves. The essence of her soul was the composition of her visage: she was fire, light, power, beauty.

“I apologize for my aggression before,” her head turned away slightly in an admission of embarrassment. “I have misrepresented the values of my people. We are peaceful, loving, by nature. I was merely frightened. I hope you can forgive me.”

Dark clouds marred the beauty of her emerald eyes as he questioned the meaning behind her words surrounding the status of her home planet. Her mind retreated into memories of the past, thoughts that felt foreign and impossible to her but that she knew to be true. Despite the pain burning her chest, she kept her emotions at bay. All she could do now was move forward in this strange new reality, and hope to find meaning in life once again.

“Yes, was. The Venus I was raised on had no rival in beauty or splendors. My people valued love above all. Not merely a romantic love, but a love for existence and all the joys of life. Love for science, for art, for music. It was a haven among the stars.”

Recalling the pleasant memories of her home brought a soft smile to her face. But only for a moment.

“That was all before the End. I struggle to remember the details of those days, for if I let the horrors flood my mind all at once, I fear I will not be able to bear the pain. When I close my eyes I see only the rain of death and ravaging of my people. It all happened so fast, and our enemies struck without revealing their face. I could not tell you what cowardly force destroyed my home.”

The agony of her loss chilled her bones, but she would not let it weaken her. The only remnants of her home existed in the traditions she carried with her, and she would carry herself with all the poise and strength of a Venusian warrior despite the feelings in her heart. This would be her way of honoring Venus and her family.

She looked curiously at Achille’s ship in the distance. It did not resemble the ships used by her people to travel the galaxies, but its ability to venture into such an empty realm of the universe impressed on her its advanced capabilities. She returned her gaze to her companion, a childlike wonder filling her eyes.

“I am profoundly surprised at your interpretation of Venus. I am not sure of anything at this moment, Achilles. I know not where I am, how I arrived here, or how long it has been since I left home. But I believe the powers of the universe have brought us together for a good reason, and that you can help me learn what I need know for this new life of mine.”

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@duchess:

"That is a warrior's name. Strong, and beautiful"

"Thank you", Achilles nodded, the calm blue of his eyes meeting the fiery glow of hers. With every gesture, strokes of starlight gave color to the surrounding void, as though a cosmic sea of radiation and energies unknown flowed just beneath her skin. But as Achilles dared surrender to the curiosity probing his mind, Candis spoke of things alien and exotic to the American God; love. Be it between a parent and their child, friends, lovers, siblings and so on, Achilles had never known it, and had never given it thought. The one constant around which his universe revolved was duty.

His duty to the survival, prosperity and self-determination of man and mutant-kind alike. His duty as heir to Thee Champion. He knew nothing else, was nothing else. Yet as he caught the chorus of emotion rising out Candis' voice, and glimpsed at the passion crackling in her eyes, he could only wonder. What kind of life had she lived? What kind of culture had nurtured that which he had yet to find within his own soul? A soul swarmed to it's boundaries by a hero's duty and little else. Achilles, the American God, had much to learn.

"No need to apologize", he assured, "I understand. You're fresh off a harrowing experience. It'd have been strange if you reacted differently. Nothing to forgive. And Candis", he paused, meeting her gaze more intently as he caught the glint of pain in her eye, "I didn't mean to cause you to relive the traumas of whatever destroyed your homeworld. I was just shocked about Venus being your homeworld. And seeing what my Venus is like, I naturally had some questions. So I hope you can forgive me", Achilles smiled, parroting her previous words.

Following her gaze towards the Blue Eagle, the American God could not help but notice the gleam of wonderment in her eyes. A stark contrast to the cold focus that so often dominated his gaze. "Maybe", Achilles nodded, after all, fate has dealt stranger cards than the ones that brought him to Candis, and her to him. "And there's no way I could, in good conscience, leave you here in intergalactic space. So if you will, come with me. We're a long way from my home planet. Though I wasn't actually born there. In any case, it's called Earth. Third planet from the Sun and just about the same size as Venus".

"And it looks more like your Venus than my Venus does", he smiled, hoping to lift her mood with a subtle jolt of humor. "But the people on Earth are different than your people. They're more warlike, less sophisticated. More ignorant than inherently malicious, but there are a lot of good people there. I protect them. You can stay with me and a group of fine heroes I work with". With a commanding glance his ship's way, Achilles summoned the Blue Eagle to them, it's doors parting open to welcome them both. "Follow me. I'm not quite used to conversation so you'll have to forgive me if I'm not too good at it, but tell me more about your people. What was your life like before everything?".

duchess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@8th_wonder:

She delivered a half-smile while placing a hand gingerly on his forearm.

“Your apology speaks highly of you, but it is not necessary. I cannot expect to move forward if I am unable to reconcile with the reality of the past. It will be unpleasant to think on, for a time, but I will eventually learn to look back on the memories of my home with an untainted fondness. Thank you for helping me take the first step in reaching that ability.”

An Earth that shared some of the same qualities as Venus? She nearly laughed out loud at the picture he painted. In her memory, Venus’ neighbor planet was nothing more than a land of giant lizard-like creatures, where Venusians and other intergalactic societies rather bothered to travel. However, it seemed that in this world, Earth was the center of much activity.

“Conversation isn’t too hard, my friend. You just let your heart speak what it wants” she explained with merry enthusiasm as she followed him into the spacecraft.

“Venus, my home, was the most radiant planet in the galaxy. I may be bias of course. But it is still true that peoples of all across the universe came to witness our labors of love. We built cities of pure gold, and crafted music so beautiful the sky would change color to sing along with us. I could never described Venus as perfect as it was.” She now spoke of home with less strain. She delighted in sharing a world so close to her heart with someone who would never have to experience losing it in the way she had. Venus could live on infinitum if she was willing to share it with her new acquittances.

“As for me, I always loved the art of battle. I was trained from a young age to master my physical form. By nature, my people are peaceful, but we do enjoy the beauty of two warriors engaged in combat. Our armed forces also protected us from those who wished to claim the beauty of our planet for their own.”

The inside of Achille’s intergalactic carriage peaked her curiosity. She had never been much of an engineer on Venus, but she could still tell the components that built this ship were very different from those she was accustomed to.

“I want to learn more about Earth, and the people you seem so passionate about defending. They must be immensely worthy to have a guardian such as yourself. What are they like? What do they value? Oh, I just want to know everything about this Earth. It seems so vastly different from the one I knew.”

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@duchess:

Inside the Blue Eagle, the air flowed warmer, and the cool grey and brilliant white seemed a luxury compared to the boundless dark of space. Lifting the helmet from his head, the gold of Achilles' hair stood in contrast to the blue of his eyes. "You're very understanding, Candis", he noted, offering her a seat next to his, "Not too many people are. And that's either down to who you are as a person, or the culture that raised you, both of which are good". Setting his helmet aside, the American God waved a hand through the air, and a holographic screen came strobing into view.

"Conversation isn't too hard, my friend. You just let your heart speak what it wants"

No Caption Provided

Her words and soul were one. What the soul felt, Candis' words expressed, like a painter bringing his passion to life with each stroke of his brush. But for Achilles, things were not as simple. As easy. "I wasn't raised to let my heart speak what it wants. I've never had friends nor any kind of social relationship for that matter. My life's been dominated by one thing and one thing only; duty". Indeed, for Achilles' father and mentor was Thee Champion, a miracle god born from the chaotic fluctuations of entropy in reality. A figure who once stood for hope and justice, but gradually fell to the moral distance of godhood.

Achilles was made his heir, his successor. He was taught a warrior's ways, and given a hero's heart. "Outside of defending my planet and my people, I don't really do much else". With a flick of the wrist, Achilles shaped the holographic screen into a three-dimensional hologram, one that best showcased the best and worst of Earth and it's people. Humanity's greatest cities, achievements and discoveries, and man's greatest shames and evils, against both his world and himself. "The people from my planet don't hold a candle to yours", he smiled, calmly, eyes meeting hers with a subtle glint of humor, "They worshiped the sky more than made songs to change it's color".

"They're different. They're not like you, or even me for that matter. Physically, they're weaker. They're not... you", he paused, holding her gaze as though she were a star in the night sky, "You're like starlight given physical form. Beautiful and otherworldly. You resemble more a sun goddess the people of Earth would've worshiped in ancient times. And they can't do the things you do. Survive in outer space? Fly? Project energy? It's very rare", Achilles revealed, recalling the subtle surge of strength felt from her touch.

"They look more like me, but barring a few mutants and exceptional people, they can't do the things you and I do. And of the ones who can, even fewer can do those things to the same extent that you and I can", he was - after all - a demigod among men. "What the people of Earth lack in strength to lift mountains, they make up for in strength of character. A resilience to understand that when one feels small, it just means that there's so much more to discover and wonder about. They're weaker than your people, I imagine, and not as beautiful. But remarkable in their own way".

"As for what the people of Earth - humans - value. It's memory. Few things matter more to humans than the past. Because only in knowing the past variables that led to an outcome, can we make computations about the future. We learn from our past mistakes to make better decisions in the future. And humans value that more than almost anything. But more than that, they study the past because they romanticize it. They want to preserve the memory of things that were and no longer are".

"To preserve the memory of people who are no longer alive, to preserve an artifact from a civilization that no longer exists, to continue traditions that have no practical benefit but to link people to their memories of places, things, people, whatever they're fond of".

"So if you ask me, which you did", Achilles laughed, now assuming control of the Blue Eagle, "I'd say, humans value memory. Because the greatest human fear is to be forgotten".

"You told me your people value beauty and love. But what was their dream? What's your dream? Because the human has always been, and still is, exploring the unknown".

duchess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@8th_wonder:

The blue light of the holograph reflected in her eyes as she gazed intently at its contents. She watched the most notable events in human history take place, the best and the worst of one species’ legacy. Her face remained inscrutably focused, revealing no indication as to her opinions on the things she saw. She listened to Achille’s testimony quietly.

“I see no difference between us,” she finally spoke softly. In her eyes, the holograph reflected the imagery of a mother being ripped from her child amid the chaos of what Candis would come to learn was World War II. The light in her eyes gleamed with a compassion born from pain.

“On Earth, humans act out of love. Love for family, for country, for friends,” she turned to look at Achille’s, her wide eyes appearing much older than the youthful features of her face and body. “They may not have the understanding that my people have, the intellect behind their actions, but the motive is no different. They want to love, and be loved in return. I think this is why they value memory. Sometimes, the things we love exist only in memories. And there is nothing more worthy of being preserved than love.”

Her head turned to shift her focus to the stars racing past the Blue Eagle. She pondered on the question he had presented. Her dream? She had never considered such a thought. On Venus, life had been idyllic for all people, without any barriers separating desire from achievement.

“I suppose we don’t have dreams on Venus. We have anything we could want or need. But, from what you’ve shown me, it seems the people of Earth exist solely for their dreams. I like that about them. It is another form of love, you know, to live and act on a hope for the future. Despite horrible circumstances, humans never lose sight of their love. It makes me want to help them, to show them love without the confusion and conflict they ignorantly attach to it. Perhaps this is my new dream.”

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@duchess:

Achilles' mind and soul were joined in silent song. Together, they marched to the beat of duty, heroic and otherwise. Yet as Candis spoke with a calming wisdom, the American God's certainty in the values that drove - unraveled. Perhaps it was as Candis believed, that it was love that spurred him to raise his shield in defense of others. After all, does a hero not love his people? His home, adoptive or native? Meeting Candis' eyes as the holographic glow of human history stroked their faces, Achilles felt the steel soften in his face. "You're very wise, Candis", he smiled, soon standing to his feet.

No Caption Provided

"Come with me", he insisted, "You'll have a better view of the stars from the chair upfront next to the pilot seat". Easing back into the pilot's seat, Achilles wrapped his hands round the controls that handed him mastery of the ship. All about them, the transparency of shielded glass welcomed the twinkling light of faraway stars. Galaxies spiraled in the distance, renegade stars raced about the cosmos, and nebulae glimmered with gases, cosmic dust and all that which will one day be stars new and different. "There was once a human philosopher, Ayn Rand. She died years ago, but her work is still controversial to this day. And my father made it a point for me learn about her teachings".

"Ayn Rand's philosophy is an attack on altruism, on the notion that we're all born with a preexisting moral debt to one another. She argued that doing good, that living for others because of a preexisting moral contract, is not true goodness. Because if you're taught that people must live for the sake of others, then not only are you expected to live your life for others, but you then come to expect others to live for you", he paused, guiding the Blue Eagle through a gleaming sea of cosmic dust, "Something Ayn Rand argued to be inherently selfish. That it was not true goodness, it wasn't coming from the heart. It was coming from the teaching that you must love anyone and everyone".

"Even if it's not true in your heart".

"My father had me read this so that I'm under no illusion of what I'm doing", he continued. "I was mentored by him, raised to be a defender and protector of the people, but I wasn't told that this was my only purpose, that I must do this", it's why Achilles' sibling - Orion, the 9th Wonder - roams the stars ready to step in should Achilles step out. Why Thee Champion chose the American God as his heir? Because his sense of duty stems from his passion, his love for Earth and it's people. "Duty was instilled in me, but I can choose to do other things. I can choose to find a different planet, and live an easier life. But I honor my duty and continue to do what I do because it's what I feel in my heart".

"I follow my duty out of love for the people and world I protect". For a moment, he chuckled, his smile reserved but true, "I guess I should thank you, for helping me speak from the heart more. Because it seems we now share the same dream".

"We arrive soon".

Nordok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8024 Nordok  Moderator

Power begets power...

The planet above which Nodok, the last of the Ancients hovered had no name in any tongue. It was a barren world, unknown to most and utterly ignored by the few who were aware that it floated through the void. It was, in fact, a planet that the Ancient One himself would be inclined to dismiss out of hand, except that weeks of divination by his Shadow Brethren had identified it as the current resting place of the immeasurably powerful cosmic artifact know as the Power Lavaliere.

The mystery of how it had come to rest here was not one which Nordok considered worth pondering; the universe itself had a tendency to ensure such weapons wound up in locations that would test the worth of those who sought to wield them, and this case was no different. The planet itself was solid rock from core to crust, with a coating of several miles of solid ice that may as well have been rock itself, and the Lavaliere was entombed at its very center. The being of cosmic horror was very nearly inclined to grin at how fitting it was; only those who were already powerful could even attempt to capture this stone of power.

There was nothing to be proven by idle pondering, however. Even as the world had presented him with his challenge, it had also given him the key to his success: a sizable moon orbited the lifeless world, the two locked in an eternal dance through the frigid expanses of space. Eternal...until now.

As his baleful gaze settled on the satellite, the Lord of the Abyssal Imperium extended his hand, and the moon itself shuddered. Exerting his potent and malevolent will, Nordok bound the orbiting body in telekinetic shackles and began to drag it from its orbit. His brow furrowed in concentration and his hand closed into a fist, and with a gesture not unlike that of throwing a punch towards the planet beneath him, he hurled one celestial body into another, with catastrophic results for both.

As the moon shattered the planet's surface, the Ancient One again stretched forth his irresistible consciousness and capitalized on the weakening of the world's very structure, ripping it apart as though it were an overripe melon.

No Caption Provided

Once this ruin was completed, it was then a simple matter of detecting the only object in the newly-created debris field that emitted any significant power, and calling it to his hand. In moments, the Power Lavaliere rested in his palm, the small stone seeming so innocuous when one was aware of its nigh-infinite potency.

There remained only one step. Other possessors of a Power Lavaliere might wear it in a pendant or ring, or even create a fixture of their armor designed to accommodate it. Nordok, however, had no patience for such a gaudy display, and one that left the treasure exposed as a temptation for any thief. Exerting his massive telekinetic power once more, he ripped open the torso of the constructed avatar in which his vile essence resided, placing the Lavaliere where such a body would normally store its heart. The traumatic aperture was then sealed up as it was formed, and in another moment, the Ancient One's body was as it had been before.

If his physical form seemed unchanged, however, the opposite was true of his actual being; the swirling morass of dark energy that comprised his true self. His already-considerable mastery of energies now magnified to virtual infinity, It was now that ultimate purpose of his quest for the Power Lavaliere was revealed.

Nordok was the last of the Ancients only insofar as conscious activity was concerned. In the birth of the universe, a number of these vast beings had been brought into existence, each discovering and developing their own affinity for the various forms of energy that comprised the very lifeblood of the cosmos. After countless millennia of battling their nihilistic brother for the fate of existence, nearly all of them had scattered their essence and allowed their consciousness to slip into torpor, either judging the conflict to be futile or too great a risk to the fragile stirrings of life that were taking root on a number of worlds.

Now, before they could awaken to this sudden and renewed threat, it was too late; their energy and their essence were now under the iron-clad control of the darkest among them. Nordok was no longer the last of the Ancients; he was now the entirety of the Ancients.

And he hungered.

Walter_Hughes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8025  Edited By Walter_Hughes

@beremud: @nordok:

Gothic City, 12:40pm

No Caption Provided

"Believe it or not," droned the Whale of Whitewood, his somber baritone voice laid against a backdrop of soft jazz, "I admire you, Katherine. With or without your abilities, what you did took a lot of courage." And dumb luck, he thought, not entirely derisively. Business ventures--entire lives, quite often the entirety of it--were made on luck. "Smart" and "dumb," as most people thought them, were constructs, only ever determined by outcomes. Not exactly fair, but the absence of fairness was nothing to complain about.

He understood her position. Likely, the Beremud woman had always intended to turn the interview hostile--just as Katie had, attempting to lower her guard before springing the more accusatory questions from her notebook. "I know your story and I've been looking forward to meeting you, albeit under different circumstances. Know this: I'm not angryBut..."

"But" what, he didn't say, and after a minute passed in silence Katie gathered he'd only made the verbal addendum to make it clear he wasn't exactly on her side either. He's on hers, she thought spitefully. Walter Hughes was and always would be on her mother's side. It was her mother's request he send her to that school, and it was a favor to her mother that he'd agreed to meet with Elsa Beremud to clear up the mess Katie made. Not that she could complain too much; that was, after all, what she wanted.

For the rest of the ride the only sounds that filled the cabin were the tunes cycling through the radio and the tik-tik-tik from the bodyguard beside her. Twice Katie'd accidentally met Hughes's eyes while attempting to catch a direct glimpse of him, but each time found him looking directly at her in silence. She gave a start and shifted her focus down at her hands, but the weight of his constant stare never lifted from her. As large as he was, the presence cast by the self-made debt dealer made him seem much larger, so that even the super soldier occupying the same space was little more than an afterthought.

This was by design. Like a shadow Arthur almost never moved unless Walter himself were moving, almost always confined to the periphery, and spoke even more rarely. But when the extra large limousine pulled to a halt and the door opened the Neo-Juggernaut stepped out first, signalling for Katie, who'd already begun to move for the exit, to stay put. Several silent moments passed and he stuck his head inside, waved Walter on, and Walter in turn extended a hand to help Katie out of the vehicle. Still moving gingerly as a result of her injuries sustained weeks prior, she had little choice to accept aid as it was offered.

The Proto-Sapien and his partner surveyed the grounds as they walked the path leading to the home. Nodding here, frowning there, once or twice turning his nose as though smelling something foul. Approaching the front door, he raised a meaty hammer of a fist and gave a gentle but resounding knock.

Beremud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@walter_hughes:

They were not kept waiting long. Within the span of a few long breaths, the heavy front doors swung ponderously inward and the visitors were greeted by the first sign of life they would have been able to observe since setting foot on the property, although whether or not one counted even this as a sign of life could be considered a matter of some debate, as their greeter was none other than the perpetually emotionless and inexpressive Silas, whom Katie may very well remember from the night of the interview.

No Caption Provided

If the dour doorman recognized her, or indeed, any of the arrival, he gave no outward sign. "Welcome to the Alaric Halfway House for Metahumans," he intoned in his usual flat voice, his tone, or rather the almost complete lack thereof, seeming anything but welcoming. "Are you seeking accommodations, or do you have other business?"

Deeper withing the labyrinthine interior of the mansion, Elsa Beremud observed all that her assistant saw and heard, his own observations streaming directly to the laptop that sat on her desk. Though she was scarcely more given to displays of emotions than Silas, she allowed the corners of her mouth to curve upward in the slightest of smiles. This was not entirely expected, but it was also not entirely unwelcome...

Walter_Hughes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beremud:

The instant she saw who answered the door Katie nearly fell over herself, stumbling back in haste to put any amount of space between herself and Beremud's assistant. Fortunately (or unfortunately) for her, she stumbled right back into Arthur, who braced and glanced down with a smile.

"He tried to sh"

"Walter Hughes for Elsa Beremud," drawled the man in white, casting his presence somehow casting his voice and presence just as much backwards--if not more so--as forward, cutting off the protest he knew Katherine was about to make. "She should have our meeting on her schedule, though I understand we are a bit early. We can be patient if she is otherwise occupied."

Beremud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@walter_hughes:

Silas stood in uncomfortable silence for a protracted moment, as all he observed was transmitted to his "employer." Back in her spacious office, Elsa considered the situation. With the plan now coming tantalizingly close to fruition, she really had neither the time nor the obligation to keep up appearances by entertaining such a stunt, but the nature of her true profession made her an inherently curious being.

She leaned forward, activating a microphone that transmit solely to her dour butler. "They are expected. See them to one of the first floor lounges. Tell the kitchen staff to prepare some fresh coffee." She made to rise from behind her desk, but then paused briefly and keyed the microphone one last time. "...and tell them to make it decaf."

"Yes, you are expected," Silas obediently parroted to Walter and Katie. "This way, please." Leaving the door open, he turned and moved at his closest approximation of a leisurely pace to a nearby lounge, comfortably furnished with a couch and several armchairs,

Walter_Hughes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beremud:

Even as the teenager squirmed uncomfortably between them, the awkward silence didn't bother Walter nor Arthur one bit. For his part, Arthur seemed to find something amusing about the situation, a steady chuckle rumbling from his chest as the assistant turned to guide the troupe along the premises.

"Marching order," said Walter placidly, at which Arthur fell in single-file behind him, hands on both of Katie's shoulders and gently but firmly placing her between the two.

Beremud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@walter_hughes:

After leading them to the lounge, the dour Silas simply took up a seemingly casual position by the door, not bothering to take a seat himself. Once he seemed satisfied that the guests had made themselves comfortable (in the most liberal sense of the term, at least), he was content to simply stand there in resolute silence until his "employer" made her entrance.

It was not a long wait. Less than five minutes passed before the Beremud scion stalked into the room in her usual brusque manner, nodding politely to Walter and Arthur and gifting Katie with the briefest flash of a wry grin. "Well then," she said by way of greeting, "this is a curious gathering. I don't believe I've had the pleasure of meeting...most of you."

Walter_Hughes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beremud:

Heavy, thudding footsteps carried the towering Proto-Sapien into and through the home, his size such that he ducked slightly just to ensure he wouldn't hit his head on the door frame and the hallways themselves always felt just a bit too cramped. Grateful for the comparatively wide open space of the lounge, both Walter made his way, alongside Arthur, to the far side where every entry point, door or window, would be within view. The wooden chair strained under his weight as Walter sat down. Arthur folded his arms and leaned against the countertop.

Katie, who'd sat down in the first chair she came by, repositioned it alongside Walter's and commenced staring, hollow-faced, at the "man" who'd tried to kill her. Hughes glanced from her, to him, and back to her with the carefree expression of a parent who'd learned their child was to be the recipient of an extraordinary opportunity. Meanwhile his associate picked a spot on the wall not too far from Silas and appeared to stare off into space.

Arthur remained immobile, sparing not even a shifting glance as Elsa entered the room. Walter, to the contrary, rose to meet her, extending his hand for a polite grasp with a slight bow before re-seating himself, to another frustrated groan from the chair.

"My name is Walter Hughes," he baritoned fairly heartily for a man of his disposition, "and this is my security associate Arthur Grimsrud. You are, I understand, familiar with young Katherine. Straight to the heart of the matter, I've been made aware of an incident on your property involving Katherine not too long ago.

"Now, I'll be honest with you my intent is to make this whole thing disappear. Come to talk to you to figure out how we can make that happen. However," placing a one of his thick, apelike hands on the center of Katie's back and applying a bit of gentle pressure, "I brought her along because...well," half-chuckling, "I'm a country boy. And I like to believe I'm a man of propriety. We got certain ways about us where I come from. When you do someone wrong you face 'em directly, look 'em dead in the eyes and apologize. You hope the grace of God shines down and they choose to forgive you. And I thought we'd teach her how front doors work," he added with the slightest hint of a smirk.

Beremud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@walter_hughes:

"The pleasure is all mine, Mr Hughes," Elsa responded, as she accepted his handshake and then settled herself into one of the chairs. She paid virtually no attention to Arthur; after all, if he became an issue, that was why Silas remained in the room. The pawns were of no consequence here; it was clearly time for kings and queens to come into play.

"I appreciate both your candor and your willingness to take advantage of more conventional means of entry," she continued with a carefully-crafted wry grin, as she leaned back casually in the comfortable armchair and crossed one leg over the other. "There is some light refreshment on the way, but before we delve into the meat of the matter, I hope you will indulge your host's curiosity. Specifically, what is your connection to our friend Katie, here?" She favored the young woman with another wry grin, albeit one that carried a bit more baggage. "I don't suppose she met you during another impromptu interview?"

Grimsrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bitch I'm a rook. And your pawn don't want none o' this.

Xiandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hm.

Marcques_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*Snaps fingers passive aggressively*

Walter_Hughes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beremud:

"Of course, not at all," assured Walter congenially as he seated himself once more. "Your curiosity is of no surprise. After all, it's not every day someone wreaks havoc and another approaches your doorstep asking you grant the girl a 'get-out-of-jail-at-potentially-great-cost-to-me' card.

"As a matter of fact, Katie is very dear to me. Y'see, I'm her godfather. I've watched over her a number of times in her youth." he said, smiling. In his mind this little more than a slight stretch of the truth. But although he'd made some efforts to organize her life on her mother's request, no direct communication had ever taken place between the two in any form, not even so much as a message. Dr. Kurtz had always been the proxy. Walter's Proto-Sapien brain, however, was naturally incapable of truly internalizing the ethics central to human society. He thought nothing of the lie, and another slight press on Katie's back silently told her that he'd registered her offense and brief temptation to object but that, for the purposes of their objective, she had no problem either.

"Honestly, she really is a good-natured girl. Has been, for most her entire life. Although I will admit this latest act of rebellion is far beyond anything any of us would have expected of her, a rebellious streak of some sort is to be expected after...well after her father died in the attack on Ethusalia a ways back." In his periphery he could see Katie gaping, wide-eyed, at what he could only imagine she saw as a gross breach of privacy. Walter made no attempt to stifle this natural reaction, but simply continued, "Then, just as she was making friends she was pulled away from them when the school closed down, without so much as a single contact from any of those friends since. I think, tempers and accidents notwithstanding, we can say at the very least this act of rebellion was born out of a desire to do something productive in her life. Drugs, sex, gangs...With all that's out there for a girl her age, she could be doing anything. But she chose work, to attempt to interview one of the most prestigious women of our time. To give it an honest try--albeit a reckless one I'll admit. Her foundation's still good. Although she needs to follow the guidance being offered to her." Although he never took his eyes off of Elsa, he projected his admonishing voice to the girl sitting beside him. She sank further into her chair, her stature diminishing even beyond what Walter thought he could inflict upon her. At this he couldn't help a slight smirk.

Beremud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@walter_hughes:

Ethusalia.

Ah.

Of course. Suddenly matters became so much more logical. Once again, Elsa ruefully mused, Zedracus' utter disdain for keeping others informed created unnecessary and avoidable complications on other, more subtle operations. She briefly wondered what Katie would think if she knew what Elsa did: that the "attack" on Ethusalia was hardly considered that by the Imperium; Zedracus had simply needed some disposable fodder for his arenas. He no more considered what he had done an act of war than a typical human would consider a trip to the grocery store such.

She kept all this to herself, of course, nodding politely as Walter spoke. It was a behavior she was aware of, of course, but had never truly understood, this unwavering familial loyalty. It must be something in the genetic code that she lacked, and for that she was eternally grateful. "All well and good," she finally responded, as the large man finished his piece. She also couldn't help but notice the tension that this caused in his young relative, as well as the apparent satisfaction it gave him. He and her "father" would have gotten along famously, she suspected.

"I'm honestly not terribly upset about how our little 'interview' ended," she continued, "and in light of the trauma she's been through, I can't say I'm terribly surprised. There really only is one matter that presents an obstacle to your proposed reconciliation, and that is the fact that Katie's actions did directly result in the deaths of two of my staff. I don't doubt that this was entirely unintentional, but these men both had families who are now lacking not only a means of support, but are also now struggling with the trauma of losing a loved one. I'm certain you both understand."

Walter_Hughes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beremud:

“It is understandable to be upset about things such as these," said Walter with a nod as Katie shrank even further and glued her eyes to the floor, freshly drawn once more to the trauma, or simply losing confidence in her defense. It was hard to say without looking directly at her. "That said, Ms. Beremud, if I could be frank, I don't think these are obstacles to reconciliation, in and of themselves. To be completely honest they're irrelevant." He measured his own expression, maintaining his kindly demeanor but not overly cheery in light of the matters being discussed. Fabricating a level of concern he knew was somewhat appropriate, yet without granting the deaths the importance Elsa implied.

"Before I elaborate," he continued, raising his arms inoffensively as though preemptively calling for a ceasefire, "let me ask. What do the families know about the circumstances of their loved ones' deaths?"

Beremud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8039  Edited By Beremud

@walter_hughes:

Fascinating.

So Katie's benefactor evidently did not share her overwhelming empathy. What was that line from that film? It's not personal; it's just business, or something to that effect. No doubt Walter was not entirely bereft of human emotion, hence his intercession, but he had a much more clinical detachment from the proceedings. Elsa was beginning to find him somewhat likable.

...by human standards, at least.

"They've been told nothing, really," she responded, her voice and manner so casual one might think she was discussing what to order for lunch. "All of my staff must complete extensive NDAs, as well as other documentation ensuring the privacy of what happens here, owing to the sensitive nature of the work and research the Foundation engages in. Right now, their understanding is that their kin died in a workplace accident, and those who don't fear the legal repercussions of not being satisfied with that answer are typically mollified by our very generous bereavement benefits. Their children won't need to consider finances when choosing a college."

Walter_Hughes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beremud:

Although in that moment nothing could've made him happier than to hear what he had—what he'd expected to hear, more or less—Walter refrained from smiling. He simply acknowledged the stated facts with a solemn nod and proceeded from the point.

"And, to my point, I do not dismiss the transcendent importance of the lives of your employees nor the effects on their families, but rather assert that they have no detrimental bearing on reconciliation. And how could it? Even should the families, the media, or other entities become aware of what occurred, Katherine is a sixteen-year-old girl—that is to say legally a minor, with no status and money to her name, and very little in this world at all. She couldn't reasonably be expected to provide financial recompense herself. Nor, I imagine, would employing a more draconian punishment—no matter how deviously or strictly you could think of it—give solace to those who remain." And yet despite his apparent sincerity, he couldn't help but amuse himself with a cynical thought: But what if it did?

"It would be naught but an exercise in spite to make more difficult the life of a child who is confused, traumatized, terrified, and, despite her unorthodox capabilities, effectively helpless. Given the nature of this establishment you run," waving his arm about the room, the floor, the ceiling above, "I expect you understand quite a bit about the ways teenagers process the world around them, and the effect petty spite has one one's processing, and their prospects for the future.

"Ms. Beremud, lest I appear naive, I feel inclined to reiterate that I am here to discuss terms and means. I deal. My business is debt. These things rarely just disappear without some catalyst, an energy transfer of some sort. But sometimes the catalyst of a hundred grand is sufficient to make disappear the debt of a quarter million. In Katherine's case, what we desire is simply for what occurred on that night to go no further than the people in this room."

Beremud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@walter_hughes:

Hmm...perhaps there is hope for the species, after all.

Elsa nodded as Walter spoke, though her attention was focused far more upon young Katie. She was genuinely curious about how the young activist felt, having a benefactor seeking to sweep two human lives under the rug, after having been pushed to her breaking point by what calling the Foundation's latest "breakthrough" a "cure" implied. The Beremud scion was no telepath, but she was no stranger to educated conjecture.

"Of course," she finally replied, as Walter finished his polished exhortation, "having this become some public spectacle would be to no one's benefit, least of all the families of the deceased. That being said, if some manner of transfer would put yours and young Katie's...respective consciences at ease, perhaps a meaningful contribution to the Foundation would be appropriate? It's entirely tax-deductible, and more importantly, of course, will go to support the research and outreach that we perform for a population that Katie has expressed a great passion for."

_Araneae_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beremud:

So...Just like that. This was it? Katie didn't know what to feel, to say, to do. She was, even then, still stricken dumb by the events of that night, to the point she often forgot that Beremud's own man, the man standing just a few feet from her now, tried to kill her. That the men she herself killed, had tried to kill her. She wasn't wrong. She was only trying to defend herself, to keep them away. Yet despite her acknowledgement of these facts, the lives she snuffed would continue to haunt her, newfound insecurity constantly struggling with her hatred of the woman who caused it all.

Elsa, who knowingly antagonized--who continued to prod now, knowing full well that she was only pushing around the remains of a broken girl, and relishing it. Elsa, who, perhaps unknowingly, had revealed just how little she valued the lives of her own men. How out of touch she was with real people and their thoughts. That she could look at Katie and imagine her conscience could be eased by a petty monetary transaction...that her conscience extended only so far as saving her own skin, and if it happens to help or hurt others then so be it.

Hughes as well. It hadn't escaped her notice, despite his assurances otherwise. While Katie tried hard to appreciate what he was doing for her, it was impossible to be sure how the interpersonal web in the room shaped up. Despite her best efforts and reassurances, she couldn't help feeling that, despite his showing to help her—as a favor to mom, she reminded herself—Walter and Elsa were more alike than either were to Katie herself. Trading lives like commodities...

But there wasn't anything to do, now, except wait for the transaction to be over.

She should've known it was too much to hope for.

"Actually," came Walter again, and another feeling of dread lurched up into her throat, "I'd also like to take a look at the kinds of services your foundation provides. It is one thing for me, as a godfather, to ensure this grievous mistake doesn't happen to ruin Katie's future. Another—even more meaningful—is to ensure that she has a bright future. One that does not require my repeated intervention. She could use structure, counsel, accomplished and dedicated role models, again such as yourself, keen to show her how to keep her head and make wiser decisions, perhaps show her personally how misguided her thoughts were in the first place...

"Just a consideration." He shrugged, casually and indifferent, though more than enough to repel the daggers from Katie's own eyes. "And of course, between friends, I'd be happy to make more than just one significant contribution to the Alaric Foundation."

Katie bit her lip and found the floor again, hoping the memory of all the trouble she'd caused would be enough of a deterrent.

Beremud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_araneae_:

Elsa'a paranoid mind instantly began screaming at her that this had to be a trap, an obvious ploy. Katie had already attempted (and succeeded, to some extent) at infiltrating the halfway house; the most logical conclusion to draw here is that she had enlisted her sponsor to help in simply taking a different approach, this time. And yet...

The girl's discomfort and silence during the conversation did seem truly genuine. As someone who was raised on a steady diet of deception, Elsa herself was not especially easy to fool, and she got no sense that the youngster was pulling the strings here. That did leave Walter, of course, who was masterfully hiding his own true intentions under a well-crafted facade that even the Beremud heir had to admire. Idly, she wondered what he might be capable of if given a larger stage on which to perform.

Abruptly, she made her decision. If this was some ploy, it was an intriguing one, and she was confident in her own abilities to be able to parry and riposte with the best this planet had to offer. At any rate, her own plans were, by this point, far too advanced to be endangered. The dirty secrets of the Alaric Foundation were going to made public soon enough, but they would be by Elsa Beremud's design, and no other's.

She favored Walter with a smile and a nod, and then turned her gaze fully upon Katie, her eyes gleaming. "I will be in my office at 9 AM tomorrow, and I take my coffee dark and unsweetened. Silas will tell you everything else you need to know. Welcome to the Alaric Foundation, Katie."

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, that's not even the way in which I was talking about, but okay.

Nordok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8045 Nordok  Moderator
Xiandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rosso:

The message had reached her, clearly enough. She was being sought. In any number of circumstances, she would have either ignored the whisperings outright, or made a point of appearing somewhere the seeker thought themselves safe, just to send a clear message of who was in control, but she didn't feel the need to do either of these, in this case. She'd already sat and spoken with Val in...well, not friendship, which was a concept that Xi possessed only a vague understanding of, but respect.

Not that she made it easy. She didn't want to give the impression that she was easy to find, or risk some other interested party turning up, so she dropped clues. It would take a fair bit of work, but someone truly interested in meeting with the alien huntress would be able to piece together the bits of the scattered equation that would ultimately provide coordinates and date. The message was otherwise largely unspoken: I will be here, at this time on this date.

"Here" turned out to be an abandoned grain silo well out past the environs of any major city or town. Xi never understood why so many supposedly clandestine meetings took places in major civilization centers; there was far too much risk of random witnesses. Instead, she picked a location she knew to be deserted, so any "random" witnesses could be assumed to be nothing of the sort, and dealt with accordingly.

She wore her usual armor this time, not feeling the need to blend in, but she didn't activate her cloaking shield, in a show of some degree of trust. She simply planted herself comfortably at the silo base and scanned her environment with the attentiveness of the predator that she was, and waited.

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even after she'd sorted Xiandra's "clues," instead of relief Valentina was pulsing spite. A level of precaution was understandable - she didn't have to be direct, but a scavenger hunt was just a waste of time and a nuisance. What if she hadn't solved it in time, missed her window? She was sure she could count on Xiandra proclaiming that a "test" in itself. Part of her weird philosophy, probably. As well, solving early as she had left her with too much idle wait time on her hands. There were just too many variables in the Ephemeran's approach. Valentina hated variables.

Still, she took some comfort in that the peculiar huntress seemed to be guided at least in part by notions of honor, and Rosso had earned her respect. If that didn't work, or if Xiandra's "honor" conflicted with the Shadowrunner's needs, there was always extortion. If the contact was legit, this was a means to get what she needed without having to get around Beremud's security, and without risking any kind of exposure. That alone was well worth the risk.

But honor was a notion as foreign to her as Earth was to the Ephemeran huntress; filtered always through a lens of only partial understanding and mild to extreme contempt. "Trust," as a notion, was a suicidally naive. "Wait time" need not be idle. For those inclined so, wait time was prep time. So she prepared several layers of contingency to cover her own ass.

1. The Soul Lavaliere to scan for any additional presence within a mile of the silo.
  2. Arclight, her personal thrall, had been sent under the cover of his power to case the locale days prior to their meeting. Then he was to accompany her, waiting some distance but always within eyeshot, and rendered invisible by bending light around himself.
  3. Her features were altered slightly using the F.A.C.E.L.I.F.T. photostatic veil. She was just similar enough that Xiandra should be able to recognize her from last time, but - her hair, eyes, lips and nose altered, as well as the addition of a beauty mark - different enough that anyone who hadn't known of their prior affiliation would never be able to pin anything on her if she were being recorded.

"I suppose I should say I'm glad you agreed to meet me," said the Scarlet Viper upon approach. Careful, as always, to keep a degree of space that would ensure mutual safety and keep her contact from being immediately put on the defensive. "If my words have reached you then you know what I want. And if you have agreed to meet me then you are at least considering."Or here to try and tie up a loose end, she refrained from saying aloud.

Xiandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rosso:

Xi watched as she approached, her face expressionless as it generally was. The Lavaliere would have detected no one within its radius, or at least no one the alien huntress had brought with her. Such was not her way, as a rule. She noted the subtle alterations to Val's appearance, idly contemplating how the two of them were both hunters, even if they tended to hunt very different prey in very different environments.

"It could also mean that there's nothing to consider," she replied, her tone as even and neutral as her expression. "I'll get right to the heart of our business, I don't have or have access to what you're looking for, but I can offer you two small consolation prizes, if you're interested. I know what the nature of what you're after really is, and I do know someone who can get you some, but I'll warn you, it's someone who's as dangerous and untrustworthy as it is."

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8049  Edited By Rosso

@xiandra:

Then we have nothing to talk about.

As calm as she appeared on the surface, Valentina was a kiln on the verge of exploding. More cryptic bullshit? All that time wasted, with nothing to show for it? That bitch had some nerve even showing her face at all, let alone with her smug mien.

Valentina could scarcely bring herself to care about "the nature" of the cure - she was going to have Dr. Knightfall help her take a look into it anyway, so nothing Xiandra could say or show her mattered in that regard - but the promise of a legitimate contact kept her in control of her impulses. Even if it felt like she was once more following a carrot on a string. If this panned out then the delayed gratification would be worth it—but, she swore to herself, this was the last one. Any more slips from the Huntress or her compatriots necessitated brutal retaliation or the aspiring Outlaw Queen risked being made a fool in her own wheelhouse.

In response, however, she shrugged impassively. "Fine. I'll take what you can give. Warning noted. How soon can you set it up? And please spare me the scavenger hunt this time unless you or he has something concrete for me."

Xiandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rosso:

Xi smirked, ever-so faintly. Val was annoyed; that much was obvious, her impassive facade not entirely compensating for her words. "I can set it up right now," she responded, pulling a single-use communicator from her belt and keying in a frequency. She tossed it casually to Val once she was done. "Use that. Just make sure you drop it once the communication ends, and get at least fifty meters away in ten seconds."

The huntress turned, but threw a glance over her shoulder at one of the very few humans who'd managed to earn her respect. "Oh, and in case you were wondering, no, that isn't the only operation my employers are running on this planet. You've been lucky this far; this world's far enough out of the way that not too many of the major interstellar powers want to mess with it directly. With the number of metas your population is producing in the last couple of generations though...it's not going to last."