REC_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By REC_

130 years ago, Planet Katat...

"Space Ranger Log: K001. I find myself on the peaceful planet of Katat, home to the Katatians. I was sent here by our commander on a simple reconnaissance mission, a "care call" of sorts to check in this it's inhabitants. Convenient, too, as a dear friend of mine happens to call this place home. A legendary warrior, a hero of the Katatian people. At least this way I get to see how he is doing. The mission so far is... Lackluster. Planet Katat has many, many, MANY reoccurring sights. From it's mountains, to it's lakes... To it's mountains....... To it's lakes..... Also it's always daytime-"

Horen shut off his communicator, looking up to the green skies. "OH MY ☌⍜⎅ IT'S SO BORING HERE!!" The Space Ranger sobbed, burying his head into his knees as he sat by a small fire. "How do these people live like this? All they do is farm and train. It's maddening. Grr... Whatever, after that last mission? I could use a break." The little alien grabbed a stick, now poking a four-eyed frog that had visited his camp.

After a few more minutes of rest, Horen hopped to his feet, performing a series of stretches before heading out on "patrol" yet again. And so he flew through the empty skies at incredible speeds, given the ability of flight thanks to his standard issue rocket boots.

"Seen it. Seen it. Seen it. Seen it. Oh! I don't think I've been here befo- No, no... Seen it." Horen muttered to himself, until finally out of the ordinary pierced through his incredible hearing. It wasn't just anything peculiar, no, it was a scream.

On many other planets, screams in the far distance was just another noise in a feverish ambience of civilization. On the stoic planet of Katat, though? It was a foreign concept.

"Looks like this could be a job for a SPACE RANGER!" The alien exclaimed, performing a stylish spin before lowering his altitude towards the disturbance. With a graceful, one-foot landing, Horen sneaked over to a nearby rock with dramatic flair, chanting a stealthy tune to himself while doing so. Upon peering over the rock, however, his yellow eyes widened in surprise of what he saw.

It was a child Katatian, aggressively training amidst a field of large boulders. While his size was similar to Horen, his strength was incredible. Sharp acrobatics were combined with blurring jabs, as the child tore through the boulders with ease.

"I see now, they weren't screams of terror, but screams of intense training! Tch, what a waste of my time. Although, what is a youngling training this far away? There isn't a village nearby for days! Or... Whatever Katatians consider a day with three suns."

The boy continued to train, until his pointed ears twitched in the middle of a spinning kick. In a fluid motion, the child summoned his life force to his finger tip, and fired a bright and small beam at the rock Horen was hiding behind.

"⊑⍜⌰⊬ ⌇⊑⟟⏁!!" The Space Ranger shouted, leaping out of the way before the rock was completely destroyed. "Cease fire! CEASE FIRE! You're shooting at a SPACE RANGER, CHILD!"

The little Katatian's green complexion lightened by a shade, realizing his error. "O-Oh my! I'm so so sorry!" He called out, putting his hands out and waving them. "Please accept my apology, I-I was just too focused and-"

Horen put his hand out, letting out a sharp breath while doing so. "It's fine! It's okay. It isn't like you could even hit me with such a unplanned attack, heh, that's it." He dusted himself off, and walked on over to the child with regained composure. "That being said, I must commend you on your skill! I caught the last bit of your training there, and I must say you Katatians are certainly cut from a hardy cloth." The Ranger chuckled, extending his hand out to greet him. "I'm Horen, by the way, just a cool Space Ranger, no big deal or anything."

No Caption Provided

The child's face lit up, eagerly shaking his hand in turn. "Oh wow! My father said that one of you was patrolling our planet. I've always wanted to meet one of you in person, it's an honor!" He continued to shake his hand, before realizing the awkwardness of it all. "Sorry. I-I'm Daizu, of the Shaman Clan." Daizu smiled, giving Horen a nod.

Horen's head cocked at the statement, taking a step back to examine the child's clothing. "Of the Shaman Clan, you say? That's odd... I was under the impression that your clan were all mystics, non-combative. So, your training...?"

Diazu's eyes widened, feebly attempting to block Horen's views of the destroyed boulders. "Oh, um... Yes, it's the Claw Clan that trains for defense. What you saw was... Uh... A mystic... Exercise of the mind and.... Spirit?"

An awkward silence befell the two.

"...You're secretly training against your Clan's Creed-"

"-I'm secretly training against my Clan's Creed, yes."

Horen tapped his blue chin, and gave a dismissive shrug. "Ah well, none of my business. I don't see why one Clan can't train to join another Clan."

Daizu sighed heavily, looking down to the ground while kicking some dirt. "It's more than that. If my father were to find out what I was doing? I'm not even sure what would happen, but I can't imagine it would be good."

"Fair enough, luckily I didn't see anything of the sort!" Horen winked, much to Daizu's confusion. "Speaking of which, who is your father?"

Daizu was about to answer, before a blinding light in the sky caused him to shield his eyes. Horen turned around to see for himself, his alien eyes unfazed by the light. In fact, his vision was so great that he could actually make out what was falling from the sky. "A raiding pod!?" He exclaimed, focusing on where the pod inevitably landed, only a mile away from where the two stood.

"D-Did you just say a raiding pod!? Who could possibly want to raid Katat? We have nothing here!" Daizu shouted in confusion, even he acknowledged his planet's lack of intrigue to outsider's.

"It doesn't matter, my little green friend! Because this looks like a job for a SPACE RANGER!" Horen exclaimed once again, posing dramatically. "Daizu, you must go and alert your people of this intrusion. Mind you, by the time I'm done with whatever scum this is? They'll just need to clean up the mess!"

Daizu stammered, looking over to Horen desperately. "But Horen, his life force is immense, I can feel it all the way from here-!"

"AWAAAAAAAAAAAY~" Horen screamed, leaving a cloud of dust, and Daizu, behind as he flew off to the billowing smoke from the crash.

The crash site...

The raiding pod left a massive crater in the lush blue field it landed on, even wiping out an entire mountain that was in it's path. The advanced metal groaned and creaked, and the door flew off it's hinges with one simple blow from what was inside. Not one, not two, but four massive hands gripped the pod, crushing the metal while doing so.

No Caption Provided

With one mighty foot planted in the dirt, out exited the space raider, Vansk. He stood ten feet tall, with muscles edging out every inch of his body, and four mighty arms crossing over his massive and elongated torso. "What a piece of freakin' junk." He cursed his transport with a voice so deep, the pebbles nearby might as well have shaken. "That tip better have been legit, otherwise I'm gonna kill that little weasel."

Vansk took a few steps forward, before Horen landed with a perfect pose right at the edge of the crater. "Not a step further, scum! You and your illegal raiding pod are not welcome on this peaceful world!"

The beast of a humanoid's mouth dropped a bit, looking the tiny alien up and down just once. "Uh... Okay then." Vansk rolled his bloodshot eyes, now striding again and cracking his many hands. "I normally avoid killing children, but I am starving after that trip. This planet is seriously in the middle of gluubark nowhere."

Horen dropped his pose, staring at Vansk while stomping his foot. "What!? I'M NOT A CHILD! I'm over five hundred years old, you ⎅⍜⎍☊⊑⟒! Not only that, but you're now facing off against a SPACE RANGER!" Horen took another pose, conveniently putting his hand near his trusty blaster...

"Uh huh. Kid, Space Dork, I don't care, I'mma eat your face." Vansk kept his uncaring tone, now within reach of Horen.

As the raider went to grab the Space Ranger, Horen aggressively grabbed hold of Vansk's forearm, and flipped him over with incredible strength. It was enough to crack the mossy floor as Vansk landed flat on his back, looking up just as Horen flipped into the air and fired his blaster right for him.

The explosion was massive from the blast, consuming the entire crater in a whirlwind of dust and debris. As usual, Horen landed with grace and posed victoriously just outside of the cloud. "Ranger Horen, 1. Possible mentally challenged four-armed guy, 0." He holstered his smooth blaster, tapping his chin while pondering. "Probably should have asked him why he was here in the first place? Oh well, the day is saved, all thanks to me-!"

Vansk blitzed out of the smoke like a bull, using his arms to pick up even more speed while he grabbed hold of Horen's head, and leapt into the sky. "GONNA MAKE ME WORK FOR MY FOOD, HUH!?"

"AAAAAAAAAAAAH!" The Space Ranger screamed bloody murder, muffled by the raider's palm that took up his entire head. Another second and his body was forced into the side of a mountain, the mighty appendage letting go and forming to a fist. "NO WAIT LET'S TALK ABOUT THIS OH ⌇⊑⟟⏁!!" Horen's amazing speed and reflexes saved him, as his head nudged just shy of Vansk's fist. Instead, the mighty fist connected to the mountain, and the sheer force alone reduced the upper half to rubble.

"SPECIAL RANGER JAB." Horen cried, sticking his finer right in the raider's eye.

"AGH!" He shouted, letting go of the little alien to clutch his head. Horen used the opportunity to get a boost from his boots, and flip rapidly back down the ground.

"OKAY THEN! Turns out he's a planetary threat. Annnnd I'm fighting for my life..." Still, Horen took an exaggerated combat stance, preparing himself. Vansk got a hold of his senses once more, and turned to see the pest with red vision. He was reduced to primal screaming, as he speared off of the rubble and flew directly for Horen.

"Leave him alone!" A voice cried out, and a foot connected with Vansk's face with enough force to send him tumbling off to the side. It was Daizu, landing beside Horen and looking as equally terrified. "You won't leave this crater, so long as I'm alive..."

Horen looked over at him, then back at the recovering Vansk. "Yeah! What the kid said!" He looked back over to the child, his expression oozing with confusion and rage. "What are you doing here, Daizu!? I told you you to go and get a Prime member of your people!"

Daizu chuckled anxiously, his eyes not wandering off from Vansk, who was now getting back up. "Don't worry about it. I contacted my father. All Katatians have a telepathic link with who spawned them, no matter the distance. We just need to hold him off until he gets here! Th-That shouldn't be hard, right?"

No Caption Provided

The Space Ranger's visible fear was washed away, seeing how this child was actually looking to him for support. He couldn't let Daizu down, or the Katatians, not now. "RIGHT! Let's show him what we got, now BREAK!"

The duo nodded, and both flew forward at full force towards their common enemy, yelling a warrior's scream as they went to work...

The fight was brutal, and intense. Blurring strikes abound, the ground rising from the impacts on each blow Daizu and Vansk landed on each other. The ringing blasts of Horen's blaster echoed through the mossy blue mountains, and an uproar of feverish screams and roars disrupted Katat's usual blissful ambience. There was a moment, where it truly seemed like they were going to overpower this foe, but alas, Vansk wasn't even beginning to tire...

Daizu's feet slid across the ground, his arms still braced in front of him after absorbing another titanic punch from the four-armed fiend, but was then knocked to the ground as Horen's limp body collided with his. "Ugh!" Daizu cried out, his one eye that wasn't swollen widening from the pain.

Vansk let out a mighty laugh, brushing a speck of blood off of his chiseled chin. "HA! I gotta admit, pipsqueaks, you actually made me lose a breath for a second there." He stomped over to the fallen pair, picking them both up by their heads, and began squeezing, causing them both to scream.

"But I gotta get back to my thing here. Those waters aren't going to steal themselves, I'll just have to eat you both later! Hahaha... Ahhh, now stay still, I wanna hear the pop."

*ZIP*

No Caption Provided

"What now?" Vansk looked at his hands, now seeing that Horen and Daizu weren't there all the sudden. He followed the breeze that he felt a moment ago, seeing that the two were now laying on the ground a few feet away, and there was someone standing over them.

"Well done, my son. You gave it your all, but you must rest now..." The nameless Katatian smiled humbly, still holding a blue sapling he was mending from the other side of the planet. "Now, stranger..." He turned his head, staring at Vansk with the smile never leaving his face. "Your conquest ends here, short lived. You are free to take what remains of your ship, and leave this planet alive. Otherwise I will have to kill you, which is something I don't wish to burden my being with... So please, take the former option."

Vansk was completely bewildered. Not at what just happened, but that he now had another thing in his way before he could start raiding. "Okay, no. I'm not playing around with you, green skin. I'mma just kill you right now, real quick, and move on. So put your stupid plant down, and stand still-"

No Caption Provided

It all happened so fast, in an instant even. Just like that, Vansk was completely vaporized by the Katatian's blast. Yet another raider, who underestimated these peaceful people...

Three days later...

Horen groaned as he slipped out of bed, slipping his Ranger armor back on and performing his routine stretches. Once he was ready, he joined the Katatian who saved him outside, who stood upon a ridge that overlooked the younglings frolicking and playing.

"I must say, Moyashi, I didn't see you ever being a father." Horen chuckled, taking a moment to think how crazy the odds were that Daizu was the son of his old, old friend.

Moyashi smirked, looking down at Daizu, who was plowing the fields with his bare hands. "Indeed. Fifty years ago, I wouldn't have thought of it, but time has certainly made me... Softer, I suppose. I imagine you saw him training, yes?"

Horen nodded, crossing his thin arms while also examining the child. "Whoo boy, I did. The kid's strong, like, "doesn't belong in the Shaman Clan" strong. You know he won't stop training, right? He takes after you, and once a Claw, always a Claw."

The Master's smirk turned to a frown, sighing in begrudging agreement with his little friend. "I left the Claw for peace. Violence, even in practice, only leads to an untimely death. To send him over to them... I don't want to see him die."

"Look who's talking! You were born in that Clan, that means he has a right to be with them. There's your loophole, let the boy fulfill his instincts. Who knows, my friend...!" Horen gave Moyashi a slap on the back, then turned to walk away. "Maybe he could be a hero, just like his father! Heheheh."

"Space Ranger Log: K002. My time at Katat is over, and the next mission is calling. With my amazing Ranger skills, and a little help from two locals, we managed to prevent a small-scale raid on the planet. Records show from the pod that the criminal was Vansk, a mercenary that was formally under the employ of the Imperium. That alone makes my skin crawl... Anyway, I never did discover his motives for coming to Katat, and it seems I never will.

This is Space ranger Horen, signing off!"

Red_Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Red_Jay

Very nice! I enjoyed it from start to finish. Praise you!

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

DOPE AF

Gripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got to say I loved it!

It's rare to read about a hero being out classed! Still a great read!

Space Ranger!!

REC_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mister_Surreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was just so incredibly fun to read, and an amazing entry for this character. Extraordinarily well done 👏👏

Adam_Grimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rec_: You created REC months ago, right?

REC_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adam_grimm: Indeed, but I have revised it since then.

Shield-Maiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Shield-Maiden  Online

I really would love for Ven to meet this Space Ranger, lmao. This was fantastic work, Juno!