Built in 1738, the Royal Palace of Madrid has been the residence of numerous monarchs since its construction. The most recent of which being the House of Liafador. Descended from Spanish general and fascist dictator Francisco Franco, the Liafador family has held a ruling presence in Spain long before Ziccarra Liafador's rise to hold the position of the country's Prime Minister.
Residing in the western part of downtown Madrid, the palace has recently become commonly referred to as the ‘Liafador Palace,' due to the Prime Minister of Spain, Ziccarra Liafador, and her family’s occupation of the historical monument. While members of the House of Liafador reside in various locations throughout the world, the Liafador Palace has become the ‘headquarters’ of the prolific family.
The main facade of the Palace consists of a two-story rusticated stone base, from which rise Tuscan and Composite pilasters framing the windows of the three main floors. The upper story is hidden behind a cornice which encircles the building and is capped with a large balustrade. The balustrade was adorned with a series of statues of saints and kings, but these were relocated elsewhere to give the building a more classical appearance.
Both the Plaza de la Armeria and the Plaza de Oriente frame the palace. A number of gardens also adorn the exterior of the palace, including the Camp del Moro Gardens and Sabatini Gardens, as well as a park, cathedral, and statues of the popularly known Gothic kings. The Campo del Moro Gardens are periodically used in the summertime to hold receptions and gala dinners.
The palace has 1,450,000 square feet of floor space and contains 3,418 rooms. It is the largest palace in Europe by floor area. The interior of the palace is notable for its wealth of art and the use of many types of fine materials in the construction and the decoration of its rooms. These include paintings by artists such as Caravaggio, Velázquez and Francisco de Goya and frescoes by Corrado Giaquinto, Juan de Flandes, Giovanni Battista Tiepolo and Anton Raphael Mengs.
The Royal Library was founded during the regency of Maria Christina, using funds that the royal family had accumulated for centuries. Highlights of the collection include the Book of hours of Isabella I of Castile, a codex of the time of Alfonso XI of Castile, a Bible of Doña María de Molina and the Fiestas reales. Also important are the maps kept in the library, which analyze the extent of the kingdoms under the Spanish Empire. Also on display a selection of the best medals from the Royal Collection.
The Archives of the Royal Palace contains approximately twenty thousand articles ranging from the Disastrous decade (1823-1833) to the proclamation of the Second Spanish Republic in 1931.
The palace's armory is considered one of the best in the world and consists of pieces as early as the 15th century. The collection highlights the tournament pieces made for Charles V and Philip II by the leading armorers of Milan and Augsburg. Among the most remarkable works are full armor and weapons that Emperor Charles V used in the Battle of Mühlberg, and which was portrayed by Titian in his famous equestrian portrait housed at the Museo del Prado.
Many modern pieces accumulated by the House of Liafador have also been added to the armory’s collection.
- This location is occupied by the Prime Minister of Spain (Ziccarra Liafador) and the members of the House of Liafador
- While the exterior is relatively open to the public, the interior is a private residence and anyone outside the Liafador family should have a reason for entering
- Standard rules apply (no mass destruction, god-modding, etc.)