Hi, I'm new. Where do I start?

Adroit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, I just got to this site, recommended by a friend of mine who was supposedly a user here. He told me of this big epic extra fun community where people talk about comics and super heroes. I was even more interested when he told me about the RPG forum in here so I decided to join here.

How do I start here? I would love some advice although I have been In RPGs before, I don't know if this is different or not.

Nordok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Nordok  Moderator

Hello, and welcome.

This will give you a pretty good foundation for getting started.

I'd start by giving that a once-over, and then feel free to ask me (or any of the RPG mods) if you have any questions that it didn't answer.

We're very story and character-focused here, as opposed to being focused on stats and wins/losses, so sometimes it can take a bit to gain momentum, but most people find it pretty addicting (some have been here for ten years or longer).

^_^

Kaede_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi, new person! Nordok's got the beginner guide there which is an excellent starting place for anyone. Once you take a look at that, your first step is going to be figuring out what sort of character you want to run. Spend some time thinking about both what sort of abilities you want to have and also what sort of personality you want to have. Think about whether you want to be a hero, a villain, or neither.

Feel free to ask for pointers at any time. You can absolutely say "Hey, I made a bio and plan X, Y, Z, can someone take a look?" People will be happy to help and give you advice. Once you've figured out who you are, look around at active characters and see if any of them fit your fancy, and ask people if they're interested in writing with you. There are usually lots of people who are more than willing to RP with new people, so don't worry about that. A lot of the rest of it is just learning as you go. Have fun with it!

Orange_Water

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adroit: Welcome to the RPG forum and if you need any help just ask. Kaede and Nordok pretty much just covered the opening steps so I guess we will be seeing you around soon.

Buckler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heeeeelloooo

Rondstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adroit: Hey hey, people! Welcome.

Not so silently wonders about the informant.

Yeah the above people pretty much covered everything. There's also an if you want to battle and a want to rp thread, which can be helpful.

Adroit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LittleSpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adroit:

Your next move should be to get your character's information into the "About Me" section on your bio. You can do that by editing your info under "Settings." If you click on my character you'll see it tells a little about who she/they are and what she/they can do. That's important because there are some pretty important rules in the RPG area about having all that listed out - that's to keep interactions fair. It's no fun if you launch a fireball at someone and they say "Oh, and by the way I'm immune to fire" and so on. Having everyone keep their info in their bio makes everyone stay honest, and it's also great just for keeping track. You can click on "Show Bio" in any thread and that'll pop up the "About Me" segment - that's super useful when you're just starting out and you can't remember who all of these 8000 other characters are. It's nice just to be able to click and go "Oh, that guy!" easily.

Once you get that done, then you'll be looking for places to RP with your character. Let us know when you're done, and we'll be happy to offer some suggestions as to where he or she might fit in, or which other characters might work well with him.

I'm alternately @kaede_ by the way, this is just the character account I happen to be using at the moment. You're free to contact me either place if you like.

Rondstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adroit:

Choosing who to rp with. Or, where you want to rp.

There are a lot of existing location threads in the current main universe (CVU) and you can find a location directory among one of the pinned threads. If you want someone specific you could pm them. If you want to do it in a particular place either make a thread yourself and mark it as open on the name, or make a post in an existing location thread and put (Open to interaction) either just in your post or in spoilers.

If you want to see if anyone wants to come to you, put something in the "Official you want to rpg" thread and see if anyone's willing to join you.

You might want to link you character to your about me (bio) because it's easier for people to find out about your character, which is very useful for trying to get people to rp with you.

Dandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adroit: Hey I was scrolling through the RPG section and saw this, did you ever make a character?