• 91 results
#1 Edited by Last_Guardian (32162 posts) - - Show Bio

Los Angeles 2040 - *No Longer Under Attack!*

No Caption Provided

L.A., the City of Angels and home to the stars.

In the past twenty five years, the second largest city in the United States has seen its larger-than-life image change multiple times. Now in the year 2040, the future is looking fairly bright for the burgeoning metropolis.

Los Angeles, however, hasn’t gotten to where it is now without at least some growing pains.

In 2021, Los Angeles suffered its worst natural disaster in its 244-year history when a massive 8.4 magnitude earthquake shook the city to its core. The quake led to heavy losses of life and, temporarily, to widespread chaos. The tremor also led to a permanent scar on the city’s face as a giant, gaping fissure split the city in two, claiming thousands of more lives in the process.

Since the devastating earthquake of ‘21 and the difficult recovery period thereafter, life in most parts of Los Angeles has prospered. Bolstered by some of its more famous (and wealthy) residents, among them the enigmatic Elon Musk, founder and CEO of Tesla, SpaceX, and AI International, the city has rebuilt itself and become a hub of technological and socioeconomic growth.

Nine years after the disaster, in the year 2030, the L.A. Mayor signed into law the Clean Road Act which would make electric, non-gasoline, AI-powered cars the norm in the state of California. Since then, heavy-handed taxation on gasoline-powered or non-electric cars have worked to curb any further environmental damage that harmful emissions may have on the Southern California skies.

Environmental consciousness has also spread to the 75 miles of coastline that Los Angeles has. Since 2020, ten Ocean Rejuvenation Facilities have sprouted in various beaches across L.A,, including ones in Santa Monica and Venice Beach. The ORFs work to purify and clean the waters of the Pacific as well as repopulate the sea life that for years has been disappearing. These environmental initiatives have worked to make L.A. one of the greenest cities in the world.

Areas of Interest:

The Breach

No Caption Provided

Stretching from its origin just south of the Los Angeles International Airport all the way to Highland Park, the roughly 26-mile L.A. Breach was formed during, and immediately after, the cataclysmic Earthquake of ‘21.

In the 19 years since its appearance, The Breach has become just as much an L.A. landmark as the Hollywood Sign or Randy’s Donuts. Remarkably, the Breach’s opening revealed a considerable amount of underground fresh water wells that have helped pull California out of its decades-long state of continuous drought.

The Breach Center for Advanced Sciences

No Caption Provided

Built inside and around a section of the Breach, the BCAS is a massive, heavily-secured compound that is home to two of the world’s most cutting-edge companies, SpaceX and AI International.

In the early 21st century, SpaceX became the world’s leading pioneer in space travel and jet propulsion. Their progress continued well into the 20’s and 30’s until the advent of the FTL engine changed space travel forever. Although SpaceX technically does have its own Spaceport, similar to the one found in New York City, it is not readily open to the public. Instead SpaceX devotes its resources on projects for the United States government, including many projects whose true purpose is heavily classified.

AI International (also known as AIX) is a leading name in Artificial Intelligence. Many of the cutting edge breakthroughs in AI technology such as the Smart House(TM), My Life Partner(TM), and L.A.’s own IntelliGrid(TM) has had its origins here. In 2032, AIX made its My Life Partner app freely available to the residents of Los Angeles and by late 2033, the city was rated as the most AI-dependent city in the world by Time Magazine. Widespread corruption and illegal customization of MLP has led to a creation of an MLP black market operating in the streets of Los Angeles. In 2038, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration added MLP Addiction to its official encyclopedia of known diseases. Despite the resulting bad publicity, AIX remains steadfast on their goal to make Artificial Intelligence a basic and necessary part of the human experience, whether that’s a good thing or not.

Gangland

No Caption Provided

Already one of the most culturally diverse cities in the world, Los Angeles has been hit with an influx of Korean immigrants who were driven by their homeland by a disaster whose origins are still shrouded in mystery. Where most Koreans who emigrated to New York did so legally, Los Angeles seemed to be the destination of choice for those that would choose the more illegal means of entering the U.S. In recent years, a considerable amount of the Korean “Kkangpae” mafia set up shop in the streets of Southeast L.A., where its presence in the district, along with that of Mexican gangs, the Salvadoran Mara Salvatrucha, and native gangs such as the Crips and Bloods created a ticking time bomb.

On March 5th, 2037 that bomb finally exploded when a run-of-the mill gun fight between the KKanpae and the Mara Salvatrucha was joined by various other factions, starting an all out district-wide gang war. With so many diverse parties at work the Great Gang War lasted for days. Although the National Guard and various superhero organizations were sent in to try and alleviate the situation, the decentralized nature of the gangs made it difficult to maintain the peace for any substantial amount of time.

The federal government eventually would go on to decide that it would be easier to evacuate the area of any civilians and allow the gang war to “work itself out,” When their inaction ended up not having the desired effect, the government decided that, as it did with Gothic City in the 2010s (albeit on a much larger scale), it would cut the troubled portion of the city loose, focusing instead on not allowing the fierce war to spread to neighboring districts.

For the time being, the bulk of the fighting in Gangland has stopped. Although massive brawls tend to erupt every now and then, the leaders of the various gangs seemed to have come up with a fragile peace agreement, splitting the various sections of their district into equal parts among themselves. Gangland is nevertheless a black mark in the middle of a great city and the epicenter for much of Los Angeles illegal trades. With the federal government no longer involved in the process, the L.A. Mayor’s office hopes to soon bring Gangland back into the fold, perhaps with the help of Jacob Grayson and the Guardians.

Hero City and the Guardian Academy

No Caption Provided

The city of L.A. has had a longstanding love affair with its super powered protectors and the Hero City complex, which includes a museum and themes park, is a testament to that. Here, some of the most interesting items belonging to some of the most iconic heroes and villains in history are on full display. Hero City is also the site of various organizations looking to assist heroes in their fight against injustice and to educate any civilians in the rich history of American superheroics.. Some notable organizations that have set up shop here include the The Society for Retired Super-Heroes and The Super-Hero Union.

Just outside of the the Hero City museum lies the Guardian Academy. A school founded and funded by L.A.’s own native son, Jacob Grayson, the Guardian Academy is dedicated to teaching the philosophy of the Lightforce while also searching Force-sensitive individuals that could potentially become Guardians. The school usually boasts around 80-100 students, with the vast majority of them not being supernaturally gifted.

The academy has proudly seen six individuals graduate with the title of Guardian and move on to areas all across the world in the fight against the dark. Making Guardians is only a fraction of the school’s purpose, however, as students are taught to effect meaningful change in their communities and become overall better residents to the great city of planet Earth.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

This location is open for any in-character interactions and small-scale RPing. Normal RPG Rules apply. If you have an idea for another area of interest or would like any changes made, please PM me. Special thanks to @lunahawk for allowing me to get in on the CVbU action.

#2 Posted by Gale_Xanders (3189 posts) - - Show Bio

@last_guardian:

I'm really glad I agreed to let you write this, you did a much better job than I would have, I was honestly stumped on what to do with LA.

Gale Xanders owns the LA Dragons NFL team in the area, I think I'm going to look into doing a blog post about the team and its stadium with a link to this thread and the regular LA thread (since it exists in both Times).

Avatar image for mourningsparrow
#3 Posted by MourningSparrow (693 posts) - - Show Bio

The eternal battle has ended, I see.

#4 Edited by Last_Guardian (32162 posts) - - Show Bio

@mourningsparrow: lol. I'll be adding a "No Longer Under Attack" tag to this once I get to a computer.

@gale_xanders: Thanks so much! I have a lot of love for the city. This was really fun to put together.

I was actually pretty close at one point to adding a Stadium/arena section so your idea sounds good to me. Looking forward to it!

#5 Posted by The_Shogun (4803 posts) - - Show Bio

No Longer Under Attack!

Lol!

#6 Posted by Arquitenens (12062 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, at least there's a light somewhere down the road.

Avatar image for deactivated-59c716930b8a6
#7 Posted by deactivated-59c716930b8a6 (9227 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by Arquitenens (12062 posts) - - Show Bio

@dreadpool10: Unlikely. There's some part of me that just dislikes doing future versions of characters I am or plan on using extensively. I know some of the reasons, but there are also elements that are just hard to put into words.

Now, whether or not I have any involvement in this cvbu or not is up in the air. But it probably wouldn't be with her anyway. Not absolute no because I almost never say never, but most likely not.

Avatar image for deactivated-59c716930b8a6
#9 Posted by deactivated-59c716930b8a6 (9227 posts) - - Show Bio

@arquitenens: Understandable.

Perhaps Olivier, given the counter guardian thing.

#10 Posted by LunaHawk (1528 posts) - - Show Bio

@last_guardian:

No Caption Provided

I landed at Hero City and strolled through the front doors. As one of the more media exposed (literally) heroes of the last 24 years I make a lot of stops here to interact with people, talk about my work outside of heroics and talk about my time interacting and fighting alongside some of the people that were just statues now. I smile and wave at some excited children on my way in and make my way through the exhibits. I speak to people at length, always stopping to entertain and speak to children and especially young women. I have always taken my position as a role model for young women quiet seriously and am all too happy to spend time here when I'm able to stop in.

I smile happily, waving to a happy eight year old girl as she left with her mom to go look at other parts of the museum. I hop up onto the edge of a desk and watched the crowds moving from one place to another. One of the employees offered me a glass of water and I eagerly take a drink while signing someone's center fold poster of me with a smile. I stopped doing the sex videos a long time ago when I entered a relationship with Alexander Rook. Now I own a company that produces them, but I still do a lot of the centerfold and poster stuff, you know, the sort of thing that doesn't require cheating on my husband to make. I don't do it as often as I used to because my image is a little different these days. I relax a little and spend time talking to people, happy to answer any questions they might have.

No Caption Provided

#11 Posted by Little Death (198 posts) - - Show Bio

This is amazing O_O

#12 Posted by _Drake (14900 posts) - - Show Bio

How can it be no longer under attack?!

#13 Posted by the_freak (106 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Edited by _Drake (14900 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_freak: Don't give me that, LG! Los Angeles will always be under attack inside our hearts.

#15 Posted by Last_Guardian (32162 posts) - - Show Bio

@lunahawk: I'll get a response up after class. ^_^

@_drake:..and that's where it matters the most <3

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
#16 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (19973 posts) - - Show Bio

@_drake said:

It's a conspiracy.

#17 Edited by _Drake (14900 posts) - - Show Bio

@_drake said:

It's a conspiracy.

Los Angeles Illuminati confirmed.

#19 Posted by Gale_Xanders (3189 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Edited by Gale_Xanders (3189 posts) - - Show Bio

@soulsexodus:

There's a blog post about it and an interview I still need to retype my last post for. She did it for a lot of reasons and after has promoted female self confidence in body image through untouched posters and images.

#23 Edited by Feral Nova (58617 posts) - - Show Bio

Obi this is amazing! Fantastic job man! :D

#24 Posted by Last_Guardian (32162 posts) - - Show Bio

@feral_nova: Thanks, Sparky. You know, you're responsible for this since you forced me to join the CVbU. Lol

#25 Posted by Feral Nova (58617 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Edited by Last_Guardian (32162 posts) - - Show Bio

@feral_nova: You basically did... It's okay though, I enjoyed it :)

#27 Posted by Feral Nova (58617 posts) - - Show Bio

@last_guardian: hahaha I'll have Tassi make an appearance here to visit her favorite Gaurdian lol

#28 Posted by Last_Guardian (32162 posts) - - Show Bio

And now I went and messed up the OP. Mobile CV is amazing.

#29 Edited by Last_Guardian (32162 posts) - - Show Bio

@feral_nova: He's an old geezer now.

I made a young one just for her lol

#30 Posted by Feral Nova (58617 posts) - - Show Bio

@last_guardian: never ever ever try to edit a post with pictures or anything on mobile. Mobile messes everything up when you try to edit a post. >_<

#31 Posted by Feral Nova (58617 posts) - - Show Bio

@last_guardian: you mean guardians don't live forever?!? lol I look forward to seeing him in action!

#32 Edited by Last_Guardian (32162 posts) - - Show Bio

@feral_nova said:

@last_guardian: never ever ever try to edit a post with pictures or anything on mobile. Mobile messes everything up when you try to edit a post. >_<

Well if the mods did their job and worked a little harder.... :P

No biggie though

No Caption Provided

@feral_nova said:

@last_guardian: you mean guardians don't live forever?!? lol I look forward to seeing him in action!

idk if joking or not, but I am planning to have Obi age a little slowly, so even though he's 45-ish here, he may look closer 33-ish.

#33 Posted by Feral Nova (58617 posts) - - Show Bio

@last_guardian: you're right, MERCY ISNT DOING HER JOB AS LEAD MOD! :P lol jk I wish it was something I could fix.

No not serious lol. But it would be cool to see old man Obi.

#34 Edited by Last_Guardian (32162 posts) - - Show Bio

No Caption Provided

Jacob Grayson strolled into the Hero City museum wearing sunglasses and a baseball cap to try and mask his identity the best he could. At this time of day, the museum was mostly empty anyway, save for a few stragglers, but it was always better to be safe than sorry. Extremely light on his feet, the forty five year old walked up to his favorite exhibit in the museum; "Heroes of Los Angeles."

While seeing his handsome self at a younger age was definitely refreshing, that wasn't what he had come for. Towards the center of the room there was a glass case with a group photograph of the original We Are Legend roster. His middle-aged eyes settled on each of his old teammates, one by one. There was the young, wide-eyed Izaiah, who Obi had come to love as a younger brother of sorts. There was the beautiful Angelic Reaper whose glimmering eyes still took his breath away. Towards the back stood NeVann Uchiha who had been way too cool to muster up a smile like the rest of the group...And of course there was @feral_nova. His smile faded as his eyes settled on her. Happier times indeed.

@lunahawk:

A small commotion caught the grizzled Guardian's attention. "Lunahawk is here!," he heard a little girl say as she ran excitedly towards the main hall, leaving her mother to pick up the ice cream she had just spilled on the floor.

Jacob makde his way towards the flashy female hero just in time to see an eager twenty-something approach her with a Playboy in hand. The old Lightforce Champion didn't quite approve of a superhero distastefully bearing it all like that, even if it was in the name of female empowerment, but he knew all too well that whether it was for vainglory or money, Lunahawk had done a lot of good for the world in the last twenty years, She had earned the right to do whatever brought her joy in life

"I would ask you to sign mine but I left all my copies at home." Obi said jokingly. "You never seem mind the attention here, do you?"

#35 Posted by Izaiah (6308 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Posted by Last_Guardian (32162 posts) - - Show Bio

Would anyone be down for a CVbU RPG set in LA?

It would center around Gangland with a cabal of (probably mid-tier) heroes heading into it to rescue someone. Would be a great way to establish a CVbU character or a character living in LA. We also could use some villain characters for the Gangland faction bosses

#37 Posted by Last_Guardian (32162 posts) - - Show Bio

@izaiah: You were the youngest and most innocent among us lol

#38 Posted by LunaHawk (1528 posts) - - Show Bio

@last_guardian:

I smile at the eager young girl and sign her museum pass for her since she wasn't expecting me here. "Why don't you go have a little ice cream with your mother? I'm not going anywhere." I assure her gently and hand the pamphlet back over to her. She smiles eagerly and runs back to her mom for ice cream again. The boy with the playboy gets a grin from me as I take it and flip to the centerfold page I was on. This was made before Playboy went under, killed by the internet age. I keep the pages from the prying eyes of anyone too young to see it and sign it under the image, carefully fold it and hand it back to him. "You should get a comic slip for it, they don't make those anymore." I offer him some free advice. He thanks me and I can see the look in his eyes and where they're going when he's forgetting to try and look me in the eyes. I'd be silly to take offense, I did just sign a nude photograph of myself.

"Don't let your girlfriend see it." I add, boosting his confidence a little since he now believes I think he's likely to have a girlfriend. He starts to say something, probably about not being lucky enough to have a girlfriend but I raise my hand a little for him to be quiet. "There's a girl over by the fountain looking for someone to share the museum experience with, her friends ditched her for something else."

I turn my attention to the last of the new arrivals and smile. "No, why would I mind? These are the people we do this for. It's nice to see people happy, or even just curious."

#39 Posted by Izaiah (6308 posts) - - Show Bio

@last_guardian said:

@izaiah: You were the youngest and most innocent among us lol

And yet he had already killed at least one person..xD And WAL was formed on his behalf lol (also Nova/Zoe's, but we weren't supposed to know that IC.)

#40 Posted by Last_Guardian (32162 posts) - - Show Bio

@izaiah: I was personally responsible for the death of 83 of my classmates, Angelic Reaper had a demon living inside her, NeVann was a ninja who I'm preeeeety sure had killed his fair share of peeps...you still the most innocent lol

#41 Posted by Izaiah (6308 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Posted by Last_Guardian (32162 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by Last_Guardian (32162 posts) - - Show Bio

@lunahawk:

Obi smiles as he takes a seat next to her. He had to admire her willingness to give back to her adoring fans. He himself was like that once. "Well, I'm not sure what they'd be curious about in your case. You've already bared it all." He allows himself a second to laugh before his countenance turns serious.

The veteran hero pulls out a letter with the seal of the City of Los Angeles. "Did you get one too?" he asks, handing over the sheet of paper to the avian heroine. "It says the Mayor is summoning all superpowered individuals that are willing to fight for the city. Something about Gangland getting real bad again Apparently sources inside the area are saying that the kingpins have been meeting up more regularly now. Mayor thinks that they might be trying to consolidate their power, and finally be trying to bust out. I'm getting too old for this shit."

#44 Posted by LunaHawk (1528 posts) - - Show Bio

@last_guardian:

Oh boy...another gang issue, I guess it was only a matter of time. "No I can't say that I did receive it, but that's probably because I'm mostly in Gothic." I smiled a little and sighed. "There is a difference you know, between showing everything and showing who you are." I couldn't help but mention that. "As for Gangland, I'll help out, you know that. There's a team you should contact though, they're young, mistake prone and probably going to mess up a lot, but we've all been there." I smirk a little. "They could use a shot. It's time to start turning this stuff over to the new generation. You're getting old and I'm..." I shrug a little. "Maybe I'm just tired of fighting in this life time."

#45 Posted by Last_Guardian (32162 posts) - - Show Bio

@lunahawk:

"A team?" The Guardian perked up at Lunahawk's description of the young squad. He couldn't help but be reminded of WAL and how they had grown together from inexperienced amateurs to saviors of the city. "Well we do have the Guardians. What little of us there are. Sydney and Bale are on Mars dealing with the issues there..and David is back in Spain but I could put together a decent squad."

It's time to start turning this stuff over to the new generation.

Truer words could not be spoken. In truth, Obi worried about the state of this modern Earth everyday. Los Angeles was as safe as it had ever been now but had he done enough to keep it safe even after he was gone? Jacob had two children at home who counted on him and he knew that soon, he'd have to hang up his lightsaber. "Do me a favor and send me the contact info on that team you were talking about. You know where to reach me." He did a quick and enthusiastic salute, the exaggerated motion causing his hat to fall off.

"Hey it's the Guardian!" a chorus of young voices shouted out in unison. Suddenly, the old hero had to stop and greet every single one of the young kids while also taking time to sign autographs and take pictures. "I blame you for this," he said to Lunahawk facetiously. At the end of the day this was something he could never stop enjoying.

#46 Posted by LunaHawk (1528 posts) - - Show Bio

@last_guardian:

I love this stuff, it's good to see someone else love it too. "Consider it sent." I tell him, tapping the side of my helmet. Who needs a smart phone when you have a smarter helmet? "Blame me all you want but I see the smile on your face." I hop off the desk and walk over to him. "I'm going to go take care of a few things. I'll be here when you need me. You see about contacting that team. It's time to start guiding these kids before they do something we'll regret."

I give him a squeeze of the shoulder reassuringly and make my way out of the museum. Time to head home again and enjoy some time off before I need to come out here again and help out.

@errolknightfall (contact for the team)

#47 Posted by Feral Nova (58617 posts) - - Show Bio

time to get this post up! @last_guardian

In her brightly lit ivory cell Zoe sat silently on the padded ground, her eyes fixated on the wall. The room was specialty made for the once rouge hero. The oxygen level kept as low as humanly possible to keep Zoe alive but low enough so if she attempted to even lit a spark, it would deprive her body of oxygen and cause her to loose consciousness. Her body was dressed in a form fitting body suit, specialty made to keep track of Zoe’s oxygen saturation levels and core temperature to ensure she would be unable to use her abilities. For the last fifteen years, this has been Zoe’s home. The once hero who led We Are Legend, who attempted to take on the Liafador family on more than one occasion, who dedicated her last sane years as a hero and protect people of the world with STRIKE, was now reduced to nothing more than a prisoner.

Back in 2015 Zoe was infected with what was known as the Liafador Virus, a virus that completely distorted and manipulated her way of thinking, and while there was a treatment for it, no one was able to get close enough to give it to her without endangering themselves. For years Feral Nova, along with her cult, rained chaos on the world, wherever she could. But it wasn’t until 2025, when Zoe forced the of hand Jacob Grayson, The Last Guardian. Zoe attacked Los Angeles in a final attempt to take the city for herself by forcing it's own guardian to step down, by breaking him. Using her Feral Bandits as a distraction to lure Jacob away, Zoe kidnapped his wife. Jacob was once a good friend of Zoe and a fellow member of the former hero team We Are Legend, and because of it, Jacob had always attempted to 'save' Zoe. Every time they faced off she could see the hesitation in his eyes, she knew he would never fight her with full force because of this history. But now, it was this history she was now going to sever... forever. In a gruesome display she killed Jacob's wife on the internet for people not just Los Angeles to see, but the world. The two former WALlies faced off in one final battle that Zoe had longed for. Jacob was finally fighting with everything he had, but the end of the battle wasn't one that Nova was expecting. With the brink of death looming over her, Jacob once more showed her mercy by capturing Zoe and had her face the justice system, but instead of the death sentence that many demanded for the former hero, Jacob instead pushed for the judge to give her life in prison without prole. Now placed in a holding cell somewhere in Los Angeles and immediately was given treatment for the viral infection. But it wasn’t as effective as Jacob would have hoped. Being infected for years caused permanent and long term effects that even the treatment couldn’t revert. Zoe would never be her old self again, but she had slowly realized the wrongs she had done.

Now, this was Zoe’s life, all within the small four wall room under constant surveillance. The rare visitors that did come to visit her, were usually either teenagers from the Guardian Academy to interview her for a school project or wanna be movie directors who try to get rights to the once heroines story. But The Fire Goddess never spoke to anyone and kept to herself. Then there was Jacob, who would visit Zoe on occasion that usually resulted on the two sitting silently with each other and ending with with a simple "I'm sorry Jacob." from Zoe as Jacob would leave. She didn't know what Jacob was searching for... hints of his old friend? A sign of hope that allowing her to live wasn't a mistake? That Zoe could be turned back to the woman he once knew? The Fire Goddess didn't know.

#48 Posted by The_Custodian (477 posts) - - Show Bio

@feral_nova:

(When you two are done, I'd like to have someone meet with Zoe if that's ok.)

#49 Posted by Feral Nova (58617 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Edited by Last_Guardian (32162 posts) - - Show Bio