CVnU - Los Angeles (Location Thread)

#3301 Posted by CursedMalekith (103 posts) - - Show Bio

@blhazerider:

"Oh~... some fight with this one."

The Lord of the Wild Hunt kept his eyes dancing upon the flickering flames of his pursuer's glowing skull. Adversity bred ingenuity, after all, and the manic motorist plunged the wheels of his ride into the steel and glass of a nearby skyscraper. He shot out the chains in hopes of lassoing Malekith, though his aim was a bit off. Except - it couldn't have been.

No Caption Provided

While the illusionary magic of Malekith was kept astray from the all-seeing eyes of his new playmate, it could just be chalked up to plain Elvish trickery and guile now. The agility of the King of Svartalfheim could not be matched in his homeland, and perhaps even here he could dance with the best of them.

He gave his fiendish friend a taunting smirk.

"Try again Hellion, before you run out of 'track'!" he pointed at the 'road' the rider had chosen for himself, and the choice of skyscrapers was growing terribly thin.

He gave a laugh, and chose to head deeper into the city where the towering teeth of civilization rose ever higher.

#3302 Posted by Renegade84 (378 posts) - - Show Bio

@dusk_zephyr: (Sorry for the late reply. >.<)

Pain, pain! Endless pain and the sound is so loud it renders Marie unable to help Dusk as he fights the villain. But it turns out, he doesn't need help. When the villain becomes distracted, the sound finally stops. Now is an annoying ringing. She can barely hear Dusk above it. She tries to get to her feet only to lose her balance.

That sound villain is not going to be distracted for long. So the Crimson Spider does the only thing she can do. Precision aiming is out, she's a bit too dizzy for that. But that chunk of wall above the villain is big enough that Marie cannot miss it even if she tried. So, she raises her web shooters and fires two lines of webbing before yanking on them. A chunk of wall gets ripped out and then falls on the armored villain, knocking him out.

Marie breathes a sigh of relief, then rubs the sides of her masks where her ears are. The ringing is slowly dying down.

#3303 Posted by BlhazeRider (54 posts) - - Show Bio

@cursedmalekith:

No Caption Provided

Illusion! But the trickster was indeed right. With one glance, the Blaze Rider notices he doesn't have much 'track' left. His chain resumes it's normal position on his leather jacket as he gets an idea. When Malekith looks away to focus on flying, that's when the Blaze Rider disappears into a portal into another dimension. One second, his bike is making that driving noise, the next it's not. It might just cause Malekith to wonder what just happened and look that way.

When, and if, Malekith looks to see where the Blaze Rider once was, another portal opens up directly above Malekith and the Brimestone Avenger tries to slam into the trickster with his motorcycle, front wheel blazing like the sun. The Blaze Rider's mouth opens in a silent yawn of rage. "You think to escape me, Malekith?!" Seems the trickster's reputation as proceeded him.

#3304 Posted by CursedMalekith (103 posts) - - Show Bio

@blhazerider:

"A portal? How cute," Malekith sneered, placing a hand on his chin and lounging as he moved through the air.

"Of course, where there is an entrance, there is..." he pinpointed what began as a small dot of ethereal energies, which quickly grew into... "An exit!" his grin widened exponentially, and he spread his hands into a defensive spell - though he continued it like a wall; it would be a track for the cyclist to follow.

"Now, my fiery friend, that we have been properly introduced - I would say that my reputation is rather warm in Midgard," he joked, laughing a bit. "No, but I have a proposition for you. I need to find something, and you will help me," he held up a mysterious chain, similar to the one the Blazing Hellion bore but much larger.

"Or I bring a friend."

#3305 Posted by Dusk_Zephyr (945 posts) - - Show Bio

@renegade84:

(Don't worry about it. You're too nice, it isn't even that late lol. :D )

Dusk readied himself for the man's counterattack but it never came. Ah, I suppose she's taken care of that. After he saw that the man was subdued, Dusk ran over to the Crimson Spider. He reached out his hand to steady her. "Hey, are you alright?" He asked in a worried tone of voice. "That was my fault, I should've seen him earlier."

"Anyways, I don't know where these guys have been getting that kind of technology and weaponry, I've never seen it before. Do you know anything about it?" It's unusual for these seemingly ordinary bank robbers to have such advanced technology, they had to have gotten it from someone. But where? It was a mystery for now.

The police were going to clean up the mess and they would probably take the sonic weapon for evidence. Maybe I should ask Crimson Spider if she could find out more. I probably shouldn't interfere with the police though, they don't really take kindly to that.

#3306 Posted by BlhazeRider (54 posts) - - Show Bio

@cursedmalekith:

The Blaze Rider is growing frustrated with this guy! He just seems to be able to casually predict everything the fiery avenger tries to do. He lands on the 'track' that Malekith provides without crashing. He puts his feet on the ground on both sides of his bike. Strangely enough, this trickster is asking for a favor. No one in the history of the Blaze Rider has ever asked a favor. Not like this. Curiosity overcomes him.

The Blaze Rider does not seem the least bit intimidated by the veiled threat, but so far doing this his way is not getting anywhere. Perhaps he needs to play along, look for an opportunity to strike. The fact this elf is asking for help, it only means he can't accomplish it on his own. "And what do you need to find, trickster?"

#3307 Edited by Renegade84 (378 posts) - - Show Bio

@dusk_zephyr: (OOC: Tehe, thanks! ^_^)

The Crimson Spider just barely hears his questions, but her hearing is slowly returning. In all honesty, she should known that guy was coming. But she ignored her senses. It's not his fault. She looks in his general direction, "It's not your fault, it's mine." Was it typical of spiders to blame themselves?

Marie thinks for a moment on his question. He's right. These men should not have access to such weaponry. That means they were given this arsenal and equipment by someone who has money. Someone with a lot of pull. "It means someone who is rich provided these weapons for these guys. Interrogations out because the police are here. Next best place is the docks. Large shipments of weapons typically arrive by ship. Perhaps there is more there and, if I'm right, a brainless thug to interrogate."

#3308 Edited by CursedMalekith (103 posts) - - Show Bio

@blhazerider:

Malekith jingled the Leash of Mangog a bit before vanishing it away. Seemingly, he had brought a fake to the occasion. He raised his hands in a fanciful manner.

"I need a certain artifact that is under the protection of a thunder-based hero with a magical hammer. Not Thor mind you, but... close," he cackled. "If you help me get said artifact, I'll leave you alone."

The truth behind this statement was debatable, but for now his smile seemed more genuine than mischievous.

#3309 Posted by Dusk_Zephyr (945 posts) - - Show Bio

@renegade84:

Yeah she had a point there. Those men had to have obtained it from a ship or something. They definitely couldn't have found those sonic weapons just lying around. And the closest ships were at... the docks. Not too far from here. Well it sounded like a logical next step. He supposed it was as good a plan as any. Not that he had any better ideas. He nodded in agreement: "Right then, the docks it is. If we're going to find anyone we should hurry. After all, there's no time to waste."

Then he swiftly set off with a burst of speed, leaping into the darkness towards their destination. The sounds and sights of the city trailed behind as he weaved his way through alleyways and around buildings. Adrenaline was still pumping through his veins from the fight earlier. Thinking back on that, he should have stayed more alert. One of these days, a slip up like that could have far deadlier consequences.

#3310 Posted by BlhazeRider (54 posts) - - Show Bio

@cursedmalekith:

Blaze Rider has to take a moments pause. Didn't the Elf just get it backwards? It's not about the trickster leaving him alone, it's about the Blaze Rider leaving the trickster alone. The Elf's sins still scream out to the brimstone biker that this fiend needs to pay. But perhaps he can...'help' as a way to get what he wants. Justice never sleeps...

"What kind of artifact would this be and what does it do?" He asks, wondering if the trickster will tell him or try and dismiss the question. Either way, the Blaze Rider knows of whom the trickster is referring to. Thunderstorm. As Aidan, he has heard of the heroine. She operates mainly in New York, which is quite the trip.

#3311 Posted by Renegade84 (378 posts) - - Show Bio

@dusk_zephyr:

The Crimson Spider agrees and takes off as well, using her web shooters to swing in between the buildings with the acrobatic skill that would make a circus perform envious. It's not long before they arrive at the docks and Marie lands on a low rise roof. She uses her enhanced senses to see if she can locate any out of place equipment. Smells, sounds and the like were all familiar. Some are recent, others are hours old.

Marie cannot see, however. But she doesn't have to as she suddenly smells a faint hint of blood in the air. That is never a good sign. She follows it, which leads her to a container with a busted door. Going in and she can smell the blood far greater now. A dead body. Shot to death. Boxes that used to contain something are empty, all except one. Sloppy. The weapons smell the same as the ones she encountered earlier. Jackpot.

But Marie feels as if she's hit a dead end. A man is dead, some weapons are here but who is responsible? SHe digs into the man's pants, fishing out his wallet, then she tosses it to Dusk, "Here, why not see if he has ID on him? We need to know who this guy is."

#3312 Posted by CursedMalekith (103 posts) - - Show Bio

@blhazerider:

"It's a box, very small and ornate. One could say it's an antique," he began, almost dragging out the details.

"Tell me what I need to know," Malekith smirked wide, knowing he was pulling the right strings.

"And I'll tell you everything, my fiery friend."

He made an x-shape across his chest, seemingly making some sort of 'promise'.

#3313 Posted by BlhazeRider (54 posts) - - Show Bio

@cursedmalekith:

Blaze Rider immediately thinks of Pandora's box. If so, that is a very dangerous artifact. If not, then he doesn't know what artifact it could be. The Blaze Rider isn't very skilled in that sort of thing since it's not his area of expertise.

The Blaze Rider points an accusing finger at the Elf, "I know you for what you are, Malekith. A trickster! Lies and tricks are your forte and the sins that have stained your soul scream at me. You are no harmless trickster."

If only that much was true. Sometimes, sensing what someone else has done is revolting. It sickens the Blaze Rider. But, as part of his own plan, he must...play along. "Very well. I will help you find...this artifact."

#3314 Edited by Dusk_Zephyr (945 posts) - - Show Bio

@renegade84:

(Really sorry I'm late this time. Been kinda busy. I'll try to post but I might be occupied for the next couple of weeks.)

As they made their way towards the docks, he watched as the Crimson Spider skilfully swings between the buildings. She's really experienced at her web slinging. It seemed like second nature to her. Daemon noticed that her movements seemed far more fluid and smooth compared to his. An impressive display of skill and it looked effortless. Like she's been doing it for years. Which she probably has.

His thoughts were interrupted by their sudden arrival at the shipping yard near the docks.Scanning the cargo containers, one of them had been ripped open, probably intentionally. Even before he saw it, he could sense the unrest in the air. As they got closer, he could see splatters of blood and scattered bullet holes. It was obvious now, that something had happened here. Definitely something to do with those bank robbers. I suppose the docks were a good lead after all. We've found something useful. Entering the container, he had steeled himself to see the remnants of the event that occurred here but the dead body still caught him off guard.

The grisly scene within the container showed that the man had died due to gunshot wounds. There were guns still in some of the boxes. The man's body couldn't have been more than a few hours old but it still smelled. Despite having encountered bodies before, Daemon still wasn't quite used to seeing them and had to hold back the urge to look away. Man up! You chose to do this line of work, so you deal with it. He mentally berates himself for his cowardice. The Crimson Spider seemed unfazed by it however. Must be an ordinary scene for her. As a superhero and all that, she undoubtedly had more experience with it than he did.

He looked up as she was saying something. Check for ID. She had tossed him the wallet. He read over the drivers license. Young, late 20s, American, no kids, unmarried. Didn't seem unusual, unless he was missing something. Wait, there was a folded piece of paper here. It said something about meeting with Russian arms dealers to pick up the weapons. This must be where that fateful meeting took place. Clearly it didn't end well. He relayed this information to Crimson. "So, what do you think? These guys probably supplied that sonic tech to those bank robbers. But they must have had some kind of disagreement with this guy."

#3315 Posted by CursedMalekith (103 posts) - - Show Bio

@blhazerider:

The Laughing God proclaims his adoration for the rider's decision with a series of claps, placing his hands together in a satisfied manner and with a large grin plastered on his face.

"Oh goody! Now,"

He matched the Hellion's own accusatory finger with one of his own.

"Let us begin, shall we?" the finger outstretched into an open hand, and if the Hellion should take it they would be transported to New York City.

#3316 Edited by Warsman (5413 posts) - - Show Bio

Every metropolis had a bad side, a seedy underbelly. Crime paid. The anonymity of the alleyways granted practical immunity to judgment in the right cases, and brutal retribution when things went south. Los Angeles bled this way. It had its leeches, festering the wound. Bloodletting still had its practical uses here.

City of Angels, polluted, ripe for archaic healing.

It is where the hunt began.

The rooftops, stone canopies of steel trees, leading in all directions. A self-fulfilling geography of the industrial Serengeti. Several armed gunmen were overlooking a shipment of illegal substances into the area. Small, meant to be untraceable by police. It would be a slow market, but it could evolve over time. Or so they liked to have thought.

They would come to have hoped for law enforcement intervention as the lamps went out.

No Caption Provided

What collapsed upon them seemed a massive wall of flesh, cascading down in glimmering slashes of hardened claw and sharpened fang. It took a wide stance, impossible for normal men to reach without substantial training. Arms outstretched, fingers fanned out, each swipe of the corded limbs tore out a throat or incapacitated an arm.

To stand in the midst of the assault, to try and weather a charge from the bipedal beast, simply could not be undertaken. Firearms went off in tandem with the sudden panic. Nothing could illuminate the darkness. However, the electricity did funnel through the temporary outage. Their assailant took the form of a man, tall and thick with sinewy ropes of banded muscle. Bullets did mark his skin, front and back, but he possessed an inhuman quality of intimidation as he took the stance once more so they could see it in the light.

Standing tall, practically increasing his own physical stature, the man seemingly became another creature altogether even as he stood with human skin and human features.

One last charge, tanking glancing shots made in a hurried disarray, and the paws of the man-creature marked their final bits of prey. Almost as if a 600-pound bear had ripped through them, rather than a 240-pound man. No finesse existed in the broad attacks. Rather, the raw power behind the strikes were focused in other ways.

Bears dominate their opponents with their large paws tipped with long talons. No outward reliance on clawing them to death, merely more smothering and concussing them. To crush something they offends them, before gnawing through the confused and dazed creature. Such could be the devastating consequences described by various coroner's reports the following morning, when the bodies were discovered.

Blood clots were the primary cause of death, caused by excessive amounts of force applied to ear canals or carotid arteries. Pure concussive force was also the cause of many of these circulatory obstructions, which eventually wormed their way into the brain. Claw marks also indicated something else, something wildlife experts could only describe as ursine in nature.

The secret of what actually killed the smugglers died with them, forgotten as a 'freak accident' by the investigators involved.

#3317 Posted by Renegade84 (378 posts) - - Show Bio

@dusk_zephyr: (It's fine. ^_^)

The Crimson Spider would not have chosen this life had it been offered to her. No, she would have gone through that car accident with her father and brother still alive, unchanged by the chemicals that sprayed her in the eyes. True, she's done a lot of good as the Crimson Spider, and for many years. But with heroes like Paragon and Superion, was she really needed? Sometimes in the private moments of her life, she often wonders what life would be like had things turned out just a little bit different.

Marie wishes she didn't have the experience to deal things like this. Be normal, ordinary. But she does. The dead body didn't faze her, but she is angry because someone has died. That bothers her like no other, but she hides her anger, not letting it boil to the surface.

The Crimson Spider is grateful Dusk relayed the information, then she says, "He must have told them something they didn't like. But if I had to guess, they were in a rush. So, they grabbed whatever they could before they left. Otherwise, they would have dumped the body, but didn't. These men are not professionals, but they want to be. Small time trying to get into the big times."

Marie's head twitches sideways a bit, using her senses to tell her things nothing else can, "These weapons smell new. I'm guessing they are experimental prototypes. Not all of them, though. Many of them are weapons that have been used for years. Money was here, but it's gone. By the smell of it, a lot of it was here too. At least a few brief cases full. Hard to say how much, but a lot."

#3318 Edited by Dusk_Zephyr (945 posts) - - Show Bio

@renegade84: (Thanks! You're too nice to me. I'll still try my best to post though.)

He listened intently to her observations on the situation. Her judgement seemed accurate. She was a lot more observant than he was, to be able to have deduced all that. Daemon silently agreed. It does seem like this was a rushed job. These men were in a hurry to leave and didn't have time to clean up their mess. They left behind crucial evidence to their activities here. The body and the weapons could be used to track them down. This was not something that most experienced criminals would do. Rookie mistakes. Anyways, I suppose it is a good turn of events for us, their mistake is our gain.

Well, since the weapons were prototypes, they probably had wanted to test them out tonight. The money was an intriguing clue as well. Of course they would never leave that behind. But it was further proof that they had arranged a trade for the new weapons. Must have been a rather large sum of money, possibly in the hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars. But they paid in cash, which would make it harder to leave a paper trail. At least they weren't that dumb.

"Hmmmm, these guys do seem new to this. But it is a worrying sign that they were able to get these kinds of high tech weaponry. I guess they decided to step up their game. Well, any ideas on where the sellers could have gone now?"

#3319 Posted by Renegade84 (378 posts) - - Show Bio

@dusk_zephyr:

The Crimson Spider thinks for a moment or two before speaking, "Likely in hiding if they are already aware of the botched bank robbery. If not, back to their bosses where they will hear about the news just as soon as it hits the news stations. Either way, they'll head back here eventually because they need to clean up their mess. If they can't beat the cops, and they won't, the smart thing to do would be to try and skip town. If they don't do that, it's probably because their bosses killed them so it won't lead back to them."

Boy, she's good at this. Her head turns a bit, "The cops are here. We need to leave before we're spotted." And with that, she leaves in a blur of motion, webbing her way out of there and onto a nearby low rise building roof top where she waits for Dusk.

#3320 Posted by Dusk_Zephyr (945 posts) - - Show Bio

@renegade84:

Her explanation was detailed and the scenarios that she spoke of seemed like probable outcomes. Well, I suppose she must know a lot about the whole process. From her years of experience and all that. She's been around for a lot longer I have. I really could learn a lot from her.

Suddenly, the Crimson Spider turned her head. Dusk looked around. He heard the police cars in the distance. Man, she is a lot faster at noticing this stuff than I am. I should be more alert. Really should learn to keep my guard up. Anyways, she was gone already. That was fast. I should catch up. He sprinted out and pushed off the side of the container, leaping upwards towards her. Landing next to her, he spoke, continuing the conversation "Do you think we should tell the police about it? They might need to know this information. Or I guess we could go after them ourselves."

#3321 Posted by Itsy (232 posts) - - Show Bio

@_araneae_ (sorry it's so short, wasn't sure what to do ^__^)

No Caption Provided

Itsy swung through the city full mask and uniform as her chocolate brown hair flowed behind her. She had family here and was visiting them for a bit during the summer, but that didn’t mean she wasn’t about to take advantage of these awesome buildings! She remembered back when she was being taught how to swing, how terrified she was just to stand on the ledge of a building. Now? She couldn’t wait to jump off of them! She began showing off her acrobatic moves (to no one in particular) as people would occasionally look up and point, taking pictures and posting them on social media. Who was this crimson dressed person swinging around their city? No one knew!

Los Angeles was much different than Expendaville. 80% of the city wasn’t under construction, there wasn’t chunks of skyscrapers missing, there wasn’t a mess of debris littering the streets, no giant robots or even giant beams coming from the sky! It was like... almost the opposite. It was… peaceful. No wonder heroes stayed away from Expendaville, this city was easy peasy!

She got to a building with flag polls on the side and landed on top of one of the poles gracefully. Her feet sticking to it as she easily kept her balance looking down at the city below her. She pulled out her phone and pointed it downward at the bustling city below. Click she looked at her screen and smiled under her mask.

#3322 Edited by _Araneae_ (1284 posts) - - Show Bio

@itsy: [Don't you ever apologise to me about a "so short!" I don't work like that.]

Oh my God, she's from Expendaville!?

#3323 Posted by Feral Nova (59031 posts) - - Show Bio

@itsy: [Don't you ever apologise to me about a "so short!" I don't work like that.]

Oh my God, she's from Expendaville!?

Yes, nord challenged me to have her live in Expensaville, so I did it xD

#3324 Posted by _Araneae_ (1284 posts) - - Show Bio

@feral_nova: I was just saying last night how that man is a bad influence.

Response'll be up...probably this evening/tonight? Possibly sooner, but that depends on whether I start before training, or how soon.

#3325 Posted by Feral Nova (59031 posts) - - Show Bio

@feral_nova: I was just saying last night how that man is a bad influence.

Response'll be up...probably this evening/tonight? Possibly sooner, but that depends on whether I start before training, or how soon.

no problem, no rush.

#3326 Edited by _Araneae_ (1284 posts) - - Show Bio

@itsy:

If Katie never again saw another height above six feet it still would've been too soon. Everything else was set, and she'd even had practise in Farmington and during her short return to Ethusalia. She sure looked the part of the capable acrobat...but that was about it.

Now that she had powers, she'd thought, hitting Los Angeles for some practice seemed like no big deal. The city was larger and mroe vertical than either Ethusalia or Farmington, so it'd be perfect. And it was...

But she wasn't. The woefully underexperienced and underprepared tookie only finished her suit ("a prototype") a couple of weeks prior in able to practice in the open, and she hardly even qualified as a novice. Everything started simply and smoothly enough—ground-level parkour was easy—but once Katie took to greater heights it all fell apart. Things that were supposed to be automatic weren't. Apparently her mind didn't get the memo so when Katie went high, she panicked. Her live calculations faltered. She shot for a ledge and missed. Three missed webs and one near-splat later she managed to catch herself but it was all she could do just to keep herself airborne.

No Caption Provided

Control was nonexistent. Her body was a pendulum careening through the air with ever-increasing speed, and to make matters worse she seemed to be swinging inadvertently higher and higher with every line. Could anyone even hear her screams? Did it even matter? Whether anyone noticed or not, it wasn't like they were in any position to help out. Or would if they could.

Okay princess...Gotta save yourself. Here goes! With four successive tries she finally managed to latch onto something (though she couldn't see what) and, breaking the previous pattern of web-release-web-release-web, Katie let herself go into a freefall through the concrete jungle. Fast approaching the vehicular stampede, she fired another line off to her right while a concert of muscular coordination whipped her away from the streets and over the relative safety of the rooftops and alleys. Inertia jolted her shoulder socket. Then came the hardest part. Forcing her mind to concentrate in order to maneuver the minuscule spinnerets in her arms as best she could (please don't screw this up!) Katie cast a wide net, stretching from building to building, and she herself fell into her own web, tumbling a bit before some particularly sturdy threads caught and held her weight, holding her aloft by the sticky hydrogel running along their length.

She was safe...but trapped in her own web. Good thing there wasn't anyone around to see her. That would've been humiliating. But how was she gonna get out?

#3327 Posted by Itsy (232 posts) - - Show Bio

@_araneae_:

As Erin was enjoying the view she suddenly heard very faint screams that seemed to be getting louder and louder with every moment. Her head perked up because it didn’t sound like it was coming from below her, but from high above the streets where she was. She extended her right arm, ready to swing off towards the screams only to find the source as it came around a building. A young (from the sound of her scream) woman dressed in an ivory uniform was… well… kinda swinging, kinda falling, kinda just trying not to die. Her ‘swinging’ was a bunch of willy-nilly! It reminded her of herself when she tried swinging when she was in New York City for the first time.

No Caption Provided

She watched the chaos, waiting on standby in case the girl needed some saving from herself. Then the chaos ended with the spider-themed girl got caught in her own web. Itsy tilted her head to the side, she couldn’t help but give an amused grin under her mask as she stuck a line on the pole she was on and began slowly descending upside down to the web that the fellow arachnid dressed girl was stuck on.

Her brown hair dangled from her head as she was hanging just above the ivory spider. “Hi there!” She would call out cheerfully not thinking about if she would actually startle the girl. “You alright there? Need some help?” She offered as she turned herself upright, her feet now dangling down to the busy streets of the city as extended her hand to her.

#3328 Posted by _Araneae_ (1284 posts) - - Show Bio

@itsy:

Speak of the mother-freaking Devil! Katie'd hardly even begun to think about freeing herself when she heard a voice...From above? Struggling awkwardly for the slightest bit of movement to angle herself so she could face its source, beneath the mask her cheeks burned as bright red as the hopeful-savior's costume. Maybe she was a bit defensive but she could've sworn she'd heard mocking in her tone.

"I guess...hnngh...that depends...on your...ngh, perspective." Finally she stopped struggling and her body just went limp in the web. "I'm alive, so I'm 'alright.' But I'm guessing you saw all that, so I might just die of embarrassment anyway." She sighed. "Yes I need help. Go figure, the one time I get caught in the web is the one time they actually feel like they're stronger than steel." Wiggling a few more times for good measure, she gave a helpless shrug. Sure it sucked right now, but maybe that was a good sign? Progress...

#3329 Posted by FarSeeker (194 posts) - - Show Bio

Water... Need water...

The helmet's display buzzes with the low growl of a failing cooling system, the neon red image of a blinking droplet flashing every half second, as it had been the past three days. The vessel I came in on, now a heap of scrap painted a litany of colors from failed landings and quick take offs on an equally innumerable worlds, hovers over the city proper, disguised against the night sky. I peer down into the inky black below, dotted with infinite lights moving and stationary. Witnesses.

The buzz comes again as I trace a sandpaper tongue across my cracked and bloody lips. No choice now. I swallow as I stare into the oblong dark, the muscles of my throat tightening despite the absence of any liquid moving through.

I jump, cloak billowing upward as the hood whips from my visor as the altitude sensor shows me what I experience in real time. I drop from 3000 feet, to 2500, then 2000, then 500, then less, as the numbers fall away in a blur, faster than I can make out. I trace the ephemeral dark from within my being, warping the space around me into a twisted cylinder no greater than the length between my shoulders. I fold my body in as the ground quickly approaches, a fatal fall. I slip into the void, returning inches from the ground, my momentum suddenly inverted as I fall upward into the orange pale sky I had just descended from.

I twist my body inward once again, flipping the position of my head and feet as the metal of my boots crunch into gravel, momentum largely dissipated. Thirst scratches at my throat again as I push forward, heat beginning to rise as I push my way to the reservoir, a hundred million shifting plastic shapes dot the water, tossing and turning in the tide. I shove one aside, dropping my canteen into the sweet translucent liquid below the strange black spheres. The meter on the canteen reads mostly clean, but I allow it a moment to filter regardless, the seconds of agony testing discipline I've worked years to cultivate. Finally the side lights green, an all clear. The filters on my mask swing open, breathable air and potable water. I drink, ravenous, greedy, cracked skin pulling at the metal lip of the canteen. It is as satisfying an experience as I have ever had, the cold fluid melting the hard raspy meat of my parched throat and tongue. I fill the canteen again and again, thirteen times in all, before I am finally fulfilled. The ship hovers above, the moon complimenting the dull sheen of dirt and rust on metal.

I sit in the semi-dark of this city, its air polluted with the din of a million lives crammed into a too-small space, its skies an orange purple dotted with the occasional star. It reminds me of home.

The fences and gates close this place from the city proper, ensuring relative peace. I soak my suit, allowing it to take in the liquid water that will sustain us both in the coming months, and synch up the signals filtering through the open air. A variety of languages are processed and transmuted into digital data. I shut my eyes, a well deserved rest, but beyond that a necessary step in a process that will ensure my survival in a world far less primitive than those I have grown accustomed to.

The rest is uneasy. I can almost feel the artificial programming tugging at my brain, feeding digital knowledge into chemical, dendrites forming and reforming as information is fed into the brain directly. That night I dream of stars and barren rocks. A million dead things orbiting quiet novas flaring with unformed potential.

This not one such world. Here, there is life. Here, there is possibility.

#3330 Posted by FarSeeker (194 posts) - - Show Bio

There are a thousand tiny pinpricks of light in that darkness, each one a life entering the meat grinder of the city center. They are milling about, perusing wares and stopping to look at this or the other item, trying their best not to look one another in the eye. The unwashed street sleepers are the only ones trying to meet each other's gaze. They cling to hope, the belief that their fellow men see them as something more than refuse to be ignored or stepped around.

It is a familiar sight. On Rechta too, those same stares looked up at me, those same attempts at communication, at an exchange of hope, were issued. I ignored them then. Seeing it from an outside perspective, to know I was one of those that skirted by, annoyed at the suffering pleas of another. It is sickening. But refreshing. Here is a land full of life, even if overfull.

Yes, this is civilization in all its glory. Even in its deaththroes it retains some dirty charm. This planet in its final hours is teeming with lives coming and going, moral and immoral decisions, emotions running high and hot. It is ALIVE, if only for now. Rechta must be the same. If it is not already gone. This shared fate of worlds, their mutual decay, somehow it lessens the pain of potential loss.

I check once more, but I know my communiques go unanswered. A hundred potential worlds going unmarked, unprocessed. I can only assume catastrophe has come and gone back home. It is a relief, almost. The idea that my journey could end here. An end to an adventure, an end to a journey long and perilous. The chance to live life again, to feel time wash over me again. To live a life not cut in snippets. To watch the hours tick by rather than awake to a different year, a different decade. To see the lines deepen in another's face rather than wake up to the gashes of age carved into them.

But...

But I am uncertain. I do not know. I cannot rest until I know Rechta is gone. Cannot live and die here until I know there is nowhere to return to. Cannot betray my people unless there is no one to betray.

But I can rest. I will rest. At least for now. I need not leave immediately. I can weary my bones here for a bit before I return to the cold sleep of the void. Yes. I think that is what I will do. I have worked plenty. It is time for a bit of play.

#3331 Posted by FarSeeker (194 posts) - - Show Bio

The place reeks with the fumes of spilled alcohol and unwashed bodies. A dingy place in the middle of a thriving city. Not empty. Not full. Just enough people for a stranger to go by unnoticed. Outside of the cowl and helmet I blend in like anyone else. Biological transmutation is an inexact science, but when facial structures are similar the organic prosthesis should be irrecognizable.

I test my theory. Sure enough the inebriates at the bar do not notice anything amiss. The bartender does not take note either. Likely the low light helping mask the paper thin surgical lines. Laser incisions. Differing hues of skin applied to my own. They take in blood and nutrients as my own skin would. It should be good for another two weeks, provided with the proper treatment.

I order a drink, mimicking the pronunciation of the man who ordered previous. I do not receive another look. I have a beverage handed to me. It is cold. Satisfying, but bitter. I take a second sip and let it lie. I am asked for money. I have none. I ask to use the restroom. I slip out the window. I make a note of who I must repay and in what quantity. The Desert Rose. Four fifty-five.

I walk out into the dying light of a sun, one much milder than my own. I catch a glimpse of myself in a shop window. My reflection stares back at me. Not ideal. Certainly not hideous. Rather plain, really.

It is perfect.

#3332 Posted by FarSeeker (194 posts) - - Show Bio

Time has eluded me. The covered windows of the dive I have only just escaped masked the quick day cycle of this place. Day winds to night in half the time I am accustomed. I am ushered out amidst muttered complaints from the patronage into a hot and humid night. The heavy metal door shuts behind us with a clang. It is followed by the unmistakable sounds of rusted iron locks sliding into place. Behind me is now a wall.

I scratch at the fake skin atop my own, the oddly colored orangish pink flakes scattering in a light breeze. The lights here are darkened. Cars no longer line the streets in haphazard alignment and long, caged, lightless windows announce the vacancy of this place. I see the remainder of the patrons scatter into idling cars or onto a nearby vehicular behemoth where a single irritable driver ushers them on. The whoosh of the plastic metal doors shutting signals their departure.

And then it is only me.

Me and the one who has been watching since the bar. The one who has been watching me since I left the establishment. I take a winding path through back avenues and alleys. It allows him to close space, but I reach my goal regardless. The metal bundle magnetically latched to the side of a nearby garbage repository. I reach in and it all snaps on in instants. My armor. My helmet. The cloak designed to hide me from the elements and obscure my visage from prying eyes. Most importantly, the collapsible star-steel spear of the Seekers. All that I require to protect myself from this creature stalking me in the dark.

I exit the alley into an abandoned parking structure, my sensors tell me he is closer than before, though perhaps not close. Disrepair has led to imperfect knowledge. Another flaw I must correct.

There, in the middle of the structure, next to the abandoned skeleton of what must have been a vehicle once, I wait. I wait for him. No. I wait for it to reveal itself.

#3333 Posted by Itsy (232 posts) - - Show Bio

@_araneae_:

As she hung before the ivory spider, Itsy examined her webbing. It seemed to be organic, much like hers. But she had also met other spider themed heroes who had to make their own webbing, such as SpiderBoy. Inorganic webbing usually didn’t last as long as organic webbing, which meant that she was going to be stuck here for a while if she didn’t receive any help.

“Hey, no reason to be embarrassed, we all start off somewhere.” She took a moment to try and figure out the best course of action. She could go and buy some Bleach. She knew webbing could be broken down by that. But spray bleach this high up and there’s a high probable chance it’s gonna land on a citizen below. Ok… spraying stuff to break down the webbing is out of the question. She could just try and… pull her out. “Now let’s see…”

She swung just a bit forward, using momentum to swing right next to the fellow masked arachnid warrior. Her body bumped into hers. "Oopssorry." She quickly mumbled her apology slipping her free hand around the young spiderling’s waist. She let go of her line that was holding her up, causing the two to be hanging off of the nameless spider’s web as she then extended her free hand. As she contracted the muscles in her forearm, her frosted colored webbing shot not from her wrist like others spider heroes she knew, but her from her finger-tips. She grasped the line as it connected itself to a building as she gave it a light tug. “Ok, I'm going try and pull you out of here, ok? Ok three. One. Two. THREE!”

Erin pulled using her super strength to try and pull the young girl out but trying not to harm her. After all, she didn’t know if the girl had similar powers to her aside from webbing. A grunt could be heard coming from the crimson spider as she held fast to the ivory spider, determined to get her free.

#3334 Posted by _Araneae_ (1284 posts) - - Show Bio

@itsy:

"That obvious, huh?" Katie remarked sardonically.Her expression sunk even further as the Scarlet Spider verbally acknowledged her blunder. Somehow the consolation made the humiliation that much worse.

"I blame people like you," she half-joked, trying to inject some levity into her voice. "If the bar wasn't set so high from the start...spiders don't even swing! Ever heard of ballooning? That's more realistic."Though not quite as useful. "Doesn't help thaHey!" They collided and the web shook, sending Kaie into a mild panic, flailing for anything to grab hold of, but she had no leverage and there was very little give. She remained stuck in utter helplessness, frustration mounting as she realized the most she could possibly contribute to her rescue was to hold still and try not to get in the way.

But in the end, her inexperience itself proved to have some utility. Katie's webs could serve many utilities, and they could be, pound for pound, more durable than steel. But in order to achieve any functionality she had to manually control spinnerets to properly arrange the silk proteins. She'd gotten better but it was hardly a mastered skill, least of all under the kind of pressure she'd been in at the time. With relative ease according to even Itsy's restrained strength, gradually the strands untangled and the web gave way, momentum carrying the Ivory Spider along with her savior to freedom. Hastily Katie wrapped both arms and legs around her as tightly as she could. That high up, she wasn't about to risk falling or throwing herself right back into the same predicament. "Th-th-thanks," she meant to shout, but her voice managed little more than a squeak.

#3335 Posted by Itsy (232 posts) - - Show Bio

@_araneae_:

No Caption Provided

The second the two were freed from the webbing it launched Erin and her new Spider themed acquaintance forward. The Crimson Spider held tightly onto the fellow Ivory Arachnide and in return she clung onto her. She couldn't help but smile under her mask as she heard the ever faint ‘thanks’.

Using the momentum Erin swung the two to the top of one of the many tall buildings in the city. The landing was a little rough, not used to landing with someone clinging to her as she stumbled a bit forward before sticking her landing. “Whew!” Erin released her from her grasp. “You alright?” She turned to check on the inexperienced webslinger, her long brown hair falling around her masked face. Even with the harsh winds that came from swinging, it still looked... alright. Hairspray, a girls best friend forever. “Oh, I’m Itsy by the way.” She introduced herself by using her 'hero' name, extending her hand as a formal introduction while her other hand rested on her hip. “How long have you been a webslinger?” Even with the mask on, the outline of her excited smile to meet another webhead could be seen through the fabric.

#3336 Posted by _Araneae_ (1284 posts) - - Show Bio

@itsy:

Even after they'd safely landed and Erin let go, Katie clung to her several moments longer while the feeling of being on stable ground caught up to her. But as she made to pull away she found the suit itself clinging to her own, locking her in an awkward "hug" with her rescuer. "Waithold...um, sorry, just...when I'm nervous..." After several attempts Katie managed to reexert conscious control over the electrostatic force and free her (from herself) but felt it like her cheeks were gonna burn a hole through her mask.

"Thanks. I'm Katiuuuhhhh..." She froze, unable to think of a reasonable save. Her shoulders slumped toward her chest. She glued her eyes to the ground. "I...Not long enough to think of a name for myself."Itsy? That's clever! Don't suppose I could go with 'Bitsy.'

She answered with a shrug. "There...hasn't really been a need for it. I wouldn't call myself a 'webslinger' so much as a silk artist. Or something way more lame. I just made the suit, and even that feels premature. Not like I could do anything with it. How much of...all that did you see?"

#3337 Posted by Itsy (232 posts) - - Show Bio

@_araneae_:

Erin gave an amused light chuckle as she watched the fellow masked webslinger cling onto her. It wasn’t because she was still afraid, it was because of her powers. She gave a light pat on the girls head in an attempt to calm her. “It’s ok, just deep a breath, find something that relaxes you.” Itsy had a similar incident when… well… she didn’t really like talking about it.

It seemed the young girl was so new to this, she didn’t even have a nickname yet. “Hey, it took a while for me to come up with something for myself.” She admitted, smiling under her mask as rest her hands upon her hip. “The suit is actually pretty neat, I haven’t seen anyone with anything like it.” She complimented.

“ How much of...all that did you see?"

“Oh not much, just the part where you were swinging, and getting stuck in your webbing.” She gave a reassuring pat on the shoulder. “It happens to the best of us. My first time swinging I slammed into a building and had a free fall. A 14 year old had to save me.” Itsy could laugh about it now, but at the time, it was the most embarrassing thing that had ever happened to her. “At that time I wished he would have just let me fall into the New York traffic.”

“Want to try that again?” She asked, nodding her head towards the ledge of the building they were now standing on. “I’m not a pro at this, I’m still learning new things too, but can give you a few pointers and I’ll be right next to you and help you out. What do you say?”

#3338 Posted by _Araneae_ (1284 posts) - - Show Bio

@itsy:

No Caption Provided

Several times over the next few moments, Katie found herself silently reeling. Although she never intended to give expression to her indignation, she couldn't help the feeling that she died inside a little every time Itsy gave her a pat. Sure she was only being encouraging but it it felt all kinds of patronizing. But she was eager to help, mostimportantly.

Unless...Is she trying to perv out on me!? Katie took a half-step back, realizing just too late the misgivings written on her face even through the mask. Still, she recovered fairly quickly, ready to offer a save that'd both preserve opportunity and gauge the viability she could take her savior in a fight. Or maybe offer something in return if she's on the level.

"Well...to be honest, once I got down I was planning on not trying that again for at least a few days. Or weeks. And possibly never,"she admitted sheepishly. "But...what kind of help? Unless you can help with rapid calculation in the conceptual physics and practical application of turning yourself into a human pendulum, I'm not sure what there is to show me. Or...like combat training? Are you a trained fighter!?" she asked, somewhat exaggerating her excitement to try and draw out an answer and not give away her reads. "But wait!" She interjected again almost as soon as she stopped. "...How long ago was this thing with the 14-year-old?"

#3339 Edited by Shield-Maiden (3268 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

Los Angeles, California, the State where dreams came true, and legends that mirrored the tales of her culture were told. While the sun's gaze was harsh and overwhelming the populated State, the invisible aura that bewitched her glamourous body protected her from the blazing hot summer. The rays of Helios might have tormented the Golden State, setting nature on fire and causing droughts, but a friendly breeze graced her ear with a whisper. The voice might have been soft and feeble like a newborn, but it matched the climate that boiled the atmosphere.

No Caption Provided

The gentle voice informed her she was standing in enemy territory, and she was an air nymph that escaped the mouth of Aura. The Princess Warrior wanted to ask the breeze nymph questions, but the voice dissipated from existence. Why were minor nature spirits operating in the United States? And what did the air nymph mean she was in enemy territory? Was she warning about Damon? These were questions that made her mind thirst for clarity. Refusing to prolong her stay here and torture her mind with a lack of knowledge, the Planestrider crossed the street to complete her task.

Helena now stood on the other side of the street, gazing up at the tower that pierced the heavens with it's high-rising squared head. It was the business tower of Damon Ford, a man shrouded in mystery. Superion, also known as Lucas Hawke, had informed her that his sister, Keira Hawke, held a business meeting with the newly emerged businessman. He told her that Damon vowed to pour his assets into the Justice League Alliance, aiding his sister and taking the load of solely funding the team off her shoulders. He also informed her that interrogations were conducted by Keira herself before the business deal was sealed by signature. The news should have satisfied the heart of the depowered goddess, but all it brought was concern and uncertainty. She found herself at odds with their decision to allow someone they knew little about into their headquarters. Was it far fetch to suspect Damon was responsible for the creation of the cyborg that invaded their base? With the amount of resources at his disposal, why was it not possible? Who was to say the business man was not seeking retribution against heroes? Or worse.

Lady Superion had super hearing which was a valuable asset during an interrogation, but was it possible that Damon was able to regulate his heartbeat? Much like the warriors trained to conduct unconventional warfare and marksmanship. According to research and history, these type of warriors have what is called a metronomic heartbeat, and could respond to high stress situations by steadying their heart. So was it possible that a mortal man was able to bypass Keira's abilities and remain calm under interrogation? It troubled the Planestrider, but it was plausible. Helena had no intention of outperforming her fellow companions, that's not why she was here. Keira and her met under unfortunate circumstances, one that stained Mother Gaia with the tears of heroes.

It was during or after the funeral of Blue Ghost that she discovered Keira was indeed Lady Superion. While the two were nothing more than acquaintances, they held each other in high regards. She might have found herself at odds with Superion's methods at times, but they too held respect for each other. The All-Daughter was here because she wanted to make amends for her barbaric trance, even if she had no other choice. She emerged from isolation to make certain her companions were not being deceived, or taken advantage of. Call her paranoid, but she's witnessed the hearts of man since the height of the Roman Empire. They masqueraded themselves as angels of light, only to scheme when no one was watching. If Damon had the serpent's tongue and was just as cunning as Hermes himself, then she had the means to expose his evil deeds.

Glancing up at the building towering over her, the depowered goddess noticed a balcony that was used to observe the city. She made a probable guess the platform came with Damon's office - fitting for his luxurious lifestyle. The temptation to sprint and use the muscles in her lower body to leap toward the balcony was inciting, but she found the strength within her to stay true to her principles. "Innocent until proven otherwise," She mumbled to herself, restraining herself from making a dramatic entrance and violating the privacy of a potential law-abiding citizen. Unbeknownst to her, that burning desire to quench her curiosity and be all-knowing was the same passion that led her father to be relentless in his own pursuits. Eying the revolving doors that led into the building, the Planestrider decided to finally meet the businessman and escape the foul odor of those exposed to the blazing star. Everyone around her reeked of overfilled sweat glands and skin care products, causing her nose to scrunch in disgust. One step forward, the Princess of Atholis pushed through the carousel doors, and ended up inside.

No Caption Provided

She wore a blue blazer, matching the bronze statue of Neptune that spewed water into a fountain located in the center of the lobby. The pencil skirt she wore was blacker than the tinted windows that shielded the privacy of the business, and protected the workers from the sun's beaming radiation. The Lasso of Apollo laid dormant within her black purse, ready to awake from it's slumber and compete with the Californian heat. The golden lariat was the very thing that was capable of extorting the potential filth from the businessman's mouth, but she prayed she did not have to go through such lengths to obtain the information she wanted. She had a few other surprises within her purse, none which could be detected by the metal detectors that flanked her. Walking pass the security guard that waited for the machines to blare, the Warrior Princess strode through the wide lobby and moved further into the lion's den.

She took a quick glance at the Neptune statue, then dismissed it as if there was contempt in her heart for the Latin masterpiece. A woman by the desk perked up as soon as she caught the breathtaking goddess. "Good Afternoon, how may I help you today?"The woman asked, eying the Brain Child suspiciously as she drew closer. Finally reaching the lobby desk, Helena responded. "Good afternoon, I am here to meet with Mr. Ford. I believe he and I have much to discuss, so would you kindly inform him that Keira Hawke's business associate is here to meet with him?" The Planestrider politely asked the secretary, lying about being Lady Superion's copartner. "I am sorry, Mr. Ford is not conducting any business meeting's right now. Would you care to make an appointment?"The woman yet again studied the goddess with distrust or something deeper. The Warrior Princess thought little of it, turning around to face the camera that beamed in her direction. "Is that so?" Helena glared into the camera, hoping her message was loud and clear to the businessman if he was watching.

@damon_ford@red_jay Not the best post, but it's up <3

#3340 Posted by Red_Jay (2664 posts) - - Show Bio

@shield-maiden: It was great! Very well done, I’ll be sure to have your post sometime this week!

#3341 Edited by Damon_Ford (293 posts) - - Show Bio

@shield-maiden: Not my best post, but there it is!

No Caption Provided

Sitting upon the glass perch of which looked over the city, Damon’s eyes rested easily between the beaming statutes of sky-rises and wispy blooms of clouds. Between, sat the vastness of blazing heat coupled with the blue of the sky. “Mister. Ford?”Unexpectedly, a voice beamed from behind causing Ford to form a response as little as slightly cocking his head over his shoulder. From what he saw, the voice became from the small Ivory microphone of which sat on his desk.

Rising from his blissful trance, Damon smoothly strode his oak desk, comforting himself as he sat into his ox-leathered seat. “Yes?” He held a finger on one of twelve buttons of the device, relaying his message to whomever the message came from - the front office. Waiting a few moments, Ford’s widescreen monitor lit up before him, showing what could only be identified as a “mysterious woman” standing in the front office of Ford’s complex.

What she wanted was still unknown to Ford, but he was willing to compensate. “Let her through - and do try to be respectful” Damon alerted the receptionist as he listened through both her and Helana’s much odd conversation. “V-very well Mr. Ford.” As she stretched her arm out towards the elevators, kindly beckoning Helena to follow, Damon sat sixty floors above. “Someone will show you the way from there, Miss.”

And with that, Damon waited for whatever deemed to come.

#3342 Posted by Shield-Maiden (3268 posts) - - Show Bio
#3343 Posted by superion_prime (569 posts) - - Show Bio

@scoundrel

Dark Rain
Dark Rain

Metro City and the braves have been dealt with. Superion switches back to Lucas Hawke and informs Conrad, when they meet up once more, they need to go to Los Angeles where everything began. It's an old shut down power plant. Abandoned but full of dark memories but mostly for Paragon. Years ago she was held captive here and forced to make a decision. She saved the city that day, but not without a great personal cost.

It is here that Lucas explains the story of what happened. How Nemesis and Paragon fought. A nuclear bomb was about to go off and Paragon saved Los Angeles. But the power plant was abandoned soon after and Paragon moved to Metro City. She had put the past behind her and it here that Dark Rain finally reveals herself in person. She looks angry.

Angry but calm. Storm clouds begin to appear overhead as her brown eyes search from one hero to the other. Then she smiles, "Glad you came, but it's too late. I have already gotten my revenge upon Keira Hawke."

Then Dark Rain eyes Conrad, "Oh my, you didn't know? Keira is Paragon and Lucas here is Superion. You've been working beside two self righteous heroes this whole time. They didn't trust you, doesn't that hurt?" She says in a serious tone.

And now Lucas's secret is out. Conrad knows he is Superion. And when Mr. Hawke turns towards Conrad to apologize, that's when Dark Rain blasts him with lightning. When Lucas rises, his shirt has a burned hole in it to reveal the S-shield underneath and proving beyond all of a shadow of a doubt that he is who Dark Rain claims.

A storm rages overhead as Dark Rain growls out angerly, "NOW DIE!" And she bombards Superion once more with lightning and she tries doing the same to Conrad, attempting to hit him as well.

#3344 Posted by Damon_Ford (293 posts) - - Show Bio
#3345 Posted by Shield-Maiden (3268 posts) - - Show Bio

@damon_ford: I'll have my post up sometime this week, trying to recover as fast as possible <3

#3346 Posted by Red_Jay (2664 posts) - - Show Bio

@shield-maiden: Definitely not a problem, trying to recover on my end as well anyways.