• 58 results
Mighty Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Mighty Magneto

Just an area where we can discuss anything about whats going on with out going out of character on the RPG thread.

Autowoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Autowoman

Question: What if the character you're playing would have powers not on the list? Autowoman (who has the same powers as Automan shows on the show), has a companion that is capable of making whatever Autowoman needs. (In Autowoman's case, it's Fae. Automan's was Cursor.) The closest I can come to is Companion for Fae, and Illusion, with the added feature that the Illusion can be made tangible (which is how Automan once described it on the show.). She also has Dimenional Travel, but only between the "real world" and the "computer world". She can also merge with a human to form a kind of "armor" for them.

Do I cover what I can, first, then try to incorporate those powers in, or what?

Mighty Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mighty Magneto

For this Rpg i think it has to be on the list but if its specilized power that is on the list just make a note of it in the thread.

Mighty Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mighty Magneto

Remember guys try not to just make you character invincible it makes it no fun for anyone else.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#5  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

No one's doing that.

Mighty Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mighty Magneto

Just a friendly reminder by the way by makeing your self a robot and just adding new gizmoes to your self would be like us adding new powers when ever we want if your a robot then new equipment should be treated like new powers only after 10 posts and you have to annoce it like everyone else please.

Autowoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Autowoman

She has several powers that can be found on the list. I've also tried to translate her powers to those only on the list. For instance, Autowoman can speak with computers. There's no power like that on the list, so I decided on Telepathy, but only with computers. This covers her ability to speak with computers very nicely. (And when Automan does so, he actually speaks --subvocally, as one fanfic writer calls it-- and is very polite to the computer.)

Maybe we should list the availible powers, just as a reminder...

Mighty Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mighty Magneto

Buckshot who are you talking about over his shoulder me or autowoman and thanks for ignore my "Halt"

Mighty Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mighty Magneto

I think we need to start these thread out different.

Perhaps make an annoucement that we are going to start a RPG and see who wants in wait 24 hours to collect people to sign up for the RPG. And then start the RPG with just those people this could get a little weird but weird is fun too.

Avatar image for canadianwolverine
CanadianWolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Out Of Character

Okay, see Affecting Objects in the first post. In this PM, I will make some examples:

Example 1: Affected Player Decides

Player1 posts: Player1 says "You're going down!" and (ACTION) throws a punch at Player2. He describes what he is thinking and feeling at the time he tries to do this. (Player 1 only has one normal Affect Object Action) AOA Points Used: 1

Player2 posts: Player2 says "Holy crap!" and (ACTION) dodges the punch. He describes how he is feeling and thinking when this goes down. (Player2 only has one normal Affect Object Action) AOA Points Used: 1

Example 2: Player2 Lets Player1 Decide

Player1 posts: Player1 says "You're going down!" and (ACTION) throws a punch at Player2. He describes etc. AOA points used: 1

Player2 posts: Player2 says "Why are you doing this to me!" and describes etc. (S)He may take an (ACTION) to do something else than defend, like say pick up a rock or attack another character (who knows). Or (s)he may decide not to use an action at all. Or maybe they want to use the action as a (LONG WINDED TALK). AOA Points Used: 0

Player1 posts: Player1's punch misses Player2 entirely, all the while screaming "Because I don't like you!" Player1 may decide that he doesn't want to hurt the other character at all, he just decides the outcome of his ACTION. At no point may the result be death of another player's character, that is for them to decide and them alone. Otherwise you break RPG Official Rules.

Example 3: Super Powers - No Defense

Player1 posts: Player1 throws a punch at Player2 and uses POWER: Adequate Super Strength on it at Player2 as well. Describes etc. (Player1 has one normal ACTION and a second ACTION because he used his Power.) AOA points used: 2

Player2 posts: Player2 describes etc. and hopes that Player1 isn't too mean with their result because they only have one ACTION to defend with. They may describe that they try to defend themself with their ACTION to indicate to the other player not to be cruel to their character. AOA points used: 1

Player1 posts: Player1's punch knocks Player2 up into the air. The result should be in someway related to the Power used on the ACTION for the advantage. And having fun all around is paramount on this, don't use this to be god-like, as this would break the RPG Official Rules.

Example 4: Super Powers - Super Defense

Player1 posts: Player1 throws a POWER adequate Super Strength punch at Player2. Describes etc. AOA points used: 2

Player2 posts: Player2 dodges the punch using POWER weak Danger Sense or blocks using adequate Super Strength or whatever Power seems appropriate. Describes etc. AOA points used: 2

Example 5: Another Character Assists - Defending

Player1 posts: Player1 POWER kicks at Player2. Describes etc. AOA points used: 2

IMPORTANT: For an assist to count, it must come before the defender posts.

Player3 posts: Player3 ASSISTS Player2. Describes assisting in an open ended manner - example: Player3 tries to stop the kick. Note: Powers can be used here as well. Also, Player3 could even try to push Player2 out of the way and become the target of Player1. AOA points given: 1

Player2 posts: Player2 dodges the kick. Describes etc. AOA points used: 2

Example 6: Another Character Assists - Attacking

Player1 posts: Player1 tries to attack Player2. Describes etc. AOA points used: 1

Player3 posts: Player3 ASSISTS Player1 in trying to attack Player2. Describes etc. AOA points given: 1

IMPORTANT: Don't assume you can determine the outcome, wait for the defending character to respond.

Player2 posts: Player2 tries to dodge. Describes etc. AOA points used: 1

Player1 posts: Player1 determines the kind of outcome as a result of his action.

The Conclusion

As you have probably figured out, there are more examples to how it works than I can post here, as you add more assists and super powers into the mix. And it doesn't even have to be a fight, the two characters could be tugging on the same bit of rope or even have a character floating a piece of metal with his power and someone tries to grab and throw it. The basic premise is: A Defender of an Object always wins a tie of points and decides the outcome of the Action. Note: An Attacker should never automatically assume a win (permission given) as there may be others willing to assist or a power the defender may want to use. This is meant to coincide with the RPG Official Rules where there should be permission to affect another character (and their stuff, including the ground they stand on) but to also avoid never selling to another player, as described in the RPG Official Rules.

I'm going to post this in the thread too, I hope this helps.
Post Edited:2007-02-21 20:06:14

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

We use points?

CanadianWolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Autowoman says:

"Question: What if the character you're playing would have powers not on the list? Autowoman (who has the same powers as Automan shows on the show), has a companion that is capable of making whatever Autowoman needs. (In Autowoman's case, it's Fae. Automan's was Cursor.) The closest I can come to is Companion for Fae, and Illusion, with the added feature that the Illusion can be made tangible (which is how Automan once described it on the show.). She also has Dimenional Travel, but only between the "real world" and the "computer world". She can also merge with a human to form a kind of "armor" for them.Do I cover what I can, first, then try to incorporate those powers in, or what?"

Your last sentence answers your question perfectly. First, start out with your favourite power and character description. If you took a Power that brings in an NPC or just want to notice an NPC "hiding" in the setting, after 10 posts with your main character, this would be a good time to use that "artist tools" point and draw that NPC into the story.

The point of the every 10 posts per character is so that we play with the enviroment a bit before it changes too fast. I may even increase the number of posts if it seems the setting is changing too fast for us to have fun with it.

Next, start with one Power and new Powers every 20 posts is so that we all don't seem Super Heroes on the first post, we get to introduce ourselves first and try to gradually become more powered.

Both of these things so many posts is also a set of rewards for playing nice, as breaking RPG Official Rules or the thread's setting rules will end up in a request for the deletion of offending posts that hurt the play with other players, which could result in losing powers and your vision of the comic book setting.

Hope that helps and have fun!

Mighty Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mighty Magneto

New to me too

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

I'm anti-points.

Autowoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Autowoman

How many of these points do with start out with, if we're using points?

CanadianWolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only use Powers listed on the Official Power List on the Comic Vine web site.

I decided on this because I wanted to avoid arguments over what is that and what is this. Also, there should be no invincible characters to start, in fact you should barely register as super powered as you should only have one Weak Power.

For all intents an purposes your sex or race such as robots, aliens, and any other type of form is no weaker or stronger than an average human being. Only Powers, which you declare clearly, affect any kind of Power ratings, as they have the ability to affect what kinds of things you may describe your character performing or using them to resolve an outcome with another player.

CanadianWolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am sorry you are anti-points Buckshot, I only came up with the idea for two reasons:

1) Resolve any conflicts quickly and easily without argument

2) Describe and give purpose to a Power, as in just because you pick say Healing right away doesn't mean you instantly heal anything thrown at you and thus become game breaking and invincible.

Oh, and I needed to add some more comments to the Assisting part that I just rememebered, so I need to edit that.

Autowoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Autowoman

This is to use as a reminder of what powers are availible.

Agility

Attractive Female

Attractive Male

Blast Power

Chameleon

Divine Powers

Elasticity

Electricity Control

Ferral

Fire Control

Flight

Force Field

Gadgets

Healing

Ice Control

Immortal

Implants

Insanely Rich

Intellect

Invisiblity

Invulnerability

Magic

Magnetism

Necromancy

Phasing/Ghost

Power Suit

Psionic

Psychic

Radar Sense

Radiation

Shape Shifter

Siphon Abilities

Size Manipulation

Stamina Sub-Mariner (which I assume means Water Breathing and Freedom of Movement in water...)

Super Hearing

Super Sight

Super Smell

Super Speed

Super Strength

Telekinesis

Telepathy

Teleport

Unarmed Combat

Vampirism

Weapon Master

Weather Control

Reminder of the levels: Every 20th post.

Weak

Adequate

Okay

Good

Great

Super

If you know of any other power that's not on the list, please post it. Thank you.

Mighty Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mighty Magneto

So basicly each post you can only take one action

CanadianWolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Autowoman says:

"How many of these points do with start out with, if we're using points?"

Just follow the first post, Setting and Getting Started. Basicly, no points, just keep track of when you post your 10th post, 20th post, 30th post and so on. These let you know when you can add something to the setting or add something to your character.

Points only come into play at two times in the game:

1) When what one character does has the possibility of being against another player. Otherwise it is automatically assumed you are the writer, as you are posting, of that part of the comic book. Even then, being the winner in points only means that you are the head writer of the comic for a tiny little bit, not to be a jerk about it.

2) When you are trying to decide just how much you are allowed to affect in one turn / post. This is so it isn't possible for a player to write that their character does a million different things during their post, effectively allowing no one else to do anything for potentially eons of story time. If done right, most people's posts will not be any bigger than the window we use to type a reply up in.
Post Edited:2007-02-21 20:15:30

CanadianWolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mighty Magneto says:

"So basicly each post you can only take one action"

Yes, effectively, you only take one action per post, normally. We have Powers so that comes into play every so often.

So, in a post you could choose to:

Say a short thing (the length of this window), do one action that affects an object in the comic book, and have a lot of fun describing things from you point of view in your thought bubbles.

Say a long thing (say, the whole of the reply window filled with your character talking) but no actions but that taken. Maybe some thoughts balloons with that diatribe or we might all think you are a wind bag. =D

Say a short thing, do a normal action and use a power if that power gives you more time somehow (for example: Super Speed) and share your thought bubbles. If that power is really getting strong, it could be anywhere from 1 to 3 (sometimes 4 with some powers) extra actions. Man, you would have to have posted, which means waiting for others too, over 120 or more times first to get to that strength with just one Power.

I hope that helps!

CanadianWolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you are wondering what the available Powers are, just click on Powers tab at the top of the website, pick which one you want to read a description of and have fun!

Now I'd better get back to the RPG, see what fun stories you guys have made!
Post Edited:2007-02-21 20:35:58

Autowoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Autowoman

Well, at the end of the list on the Powers page, it says, "Show Unoffical Powers", so I thought there might be more than just what was listed.

Autowoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Autowoman

Ahhhh...so, the "Unoffical Powers" are off limits, then? Or is there a list of the "Unoffical Powers" somewhere?

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

There are. Most of them just don't have icons so they're not on the side with the ones that do have icons.

Abaddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Abaddon

Just out of curiosity, would it be to late for me to join in?

Autowoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Autowoman

I don't see why it should be too late. Just start at the begining, and follow C-Wolf's rules by starting in a white space and go from there.

CanadianWolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Abaddon, please do jump in! Just take a look at the first post, it has a section called Setting and Getting Started that was meant so anyone could jump in at any time.

Oh, and Autowoman, you want to declare your new Power or upgraded Power on your 20th post or just leave it till your 40th post.

Autowoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Autowoman

I thought as much, so I declared a new power at my 20th post. I now have Telepathy (with Computers only) and Healing (but only from electrical sources) at the Weak level.

Avatar image for fourpower__r_i_p_
Fourpower (R.I.P)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

You know, I was skeptical about role-playing at first, but this is actually pretty cool!

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Is there a reason the last few posts have all been in italics?

Twilight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Twilight

No clue. I just hit the reply button at the end of the last post. Is there some other way to do it?

Autowoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Autowoman

There's a mistake in Abaddon's post #4. Somehow, he's missed an italics tag, and it's affected all the posts after his forth post.

Abaddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Abaddon

Fixed it.

Fourpower (R.I.P)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's ANNOYING! I'm meeting new people here, too-never talked to Twilight, Abbadon, or Autowoman before. Of course, I have a loooooooooooong history with Buckshot. Seriously, though, it's nice to meet others. As an RPG user, I'm annoyed with Abbadon because of the italic thing. But as an EVIL USER(my main priority), I have very high hopes for him.

Abaddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Abaddon

Well, obviously I made the whole page italics because I'm evil. And obviously I fixed it because its a part of my master scheme.
Post Edited:2007-02-22 19:03:54

Fourpower (R.I.P)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you more evil then evil?

Abaddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Abaddon

I like to think so.

Fourpower (R.I.P)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you enjoy destruction, murder, and crimes? Are you slightly off your rocker? Do youy hate all non-evils?

Abaddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Abaddon

Read my profile, that should give you all the info. :P

Fourpower (R.I.P)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool...then would you like to join the VINE VILLIANS? We are an evil group consisting of Red LAMP, NoirDark, Metalhead, me, Mighty Magneto, Prurience Man, and me. EVIL RULES! Hell's Hand is another villian group. Check the "Hell's Hand has been formed" thread a page or two back if interested.

Abaddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Abaddon

Nah, I think im good, but thanks for the offer Fourpower.
On another note, for the purpose of this RPG, I want to change Energy Absorption/Manipulation to just Light Abs./Manipulation. I figured that since most of the people use one type of energy or another, if I ever turned on someone I would pretty much be unstopable. So I was thinking that Abaddon will realise that in this world, that while his ability to absorb and manipulate light energy will grow...that it will be the only type of energy he will be able to control. Think of it as the Anti-Sentry(no not The Void), and no Abaddon won't be as nearly as strong as the Sentry, unless sometime later in this story we could use that as a plot device.

Abaddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Abaddon

Post Deleted.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Just a question, not trying to make you guys change, but why do most of you write in present tense?

CanadianWolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because they are writing up what is presently happening to their characters and what they see at that time? I thought you were doing that too Buckshot ... ???

Ebony Bishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ebony Bishop

This is interesting reading and all, but when my "super self" is a guy with the ability to glow with black light, I think I'm a little gun-shy about entering your world full of evil people. My amazing ability to make your teeth glow and show you all your dandruff is probably the least scary power I could think of.

Plus, you know, you guys are about 200+ posts into it. :)

CanadianWolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't even worry about that Ebony, even though we all together have totaled up a bunch of posts, the way the rules for that thread work, the game has yet to even really get started, we haven't even had a fight between characters yet! Right off the bat in your first turn you can find that if you so choose, you could significantly change the setting in your favor by adding a feature that suits your character. Heck, your ability to glow "black light" could possibly reveal clues in the enviroment that lets you have some serious fun! And what would happen to Abbadon, you shining black light on him when he needs sun light energy to live? Maybe your black light screws with holograms, putting Buckshot and Autowoman in a pinch. Maybe the feature you choose to notice is a black light pen in the grass, and you get to write funny notes only you can see all over the place ... Besides, why stop at having the power of glowing? Maybe you can concentrate that into a black light laser?

;D

You and anyone else is more than welcome to join in and help write this comic book of Comic Vine proportions...
Post Edited:2007-02-23 15:48:42

Ebony Bishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Ebony Bishop

Ooh! Ooh! Black Lightsabre! Hadn't thought of that! Geeking out by accident.

But I do thank you for trying so hard with regards to uses for black light power. I thought I could just show up in the game, and help you guys put on a good glowing puppet show. I may jump in soon...I just want to start when I have a nice chunk of time to get started.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

CanadianWolverine says:

"Because they are writing up what is presently happening to their characters and what they see at that time? I thought you were doing that too Buckshot ... ???"

How could you think I was doing that when everything I write is in the past tense? You don't see the difference between something like 'Susan took a deep breath' and 'Susan takes a deep breath'? (And I write that way because that's how most books are written.)

CanadianWolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest, while that does make excellent writing, I didn't even notice that you were writing things up like that! Now I feel like I need to go re-read the entire thread over again, and see how terrible a writer I am!

=O