As a few issues have recently arisen regarding concept ownership, the RPG mods have put together the following policies. Going forward, this is how such matters will be handled.
- Every user is assumed to have 100% control of the concepts they create (including, but not limited to: characters, NPCs, locations, organizations, and technology).
- This control only extends to specific, named concepts (so one cannot claim ownership of broad concepts like alien robots, powered armor, power-granting substances, etc; ownership would be for concepts like Avalon, konite, etc).
- Permission must be obtained from a concept's "owner" prior to usage; permission can be granted in the comments section of this thread. You may also grant another user permission to use a concept in PM. In this case, you should hang on to the PM so that a mod can be added to it in the event of a dispute.
- Note that there is a difference between giving someone permission to use a concept, and giving someone ownership of a concept. Permission to use a concept may be rescinded at any time by the concept's creator. Transference of ownership is exactly that; you are effectively giving someone else full authority over your concept, and waiving all rights to it (unless that person gives it back to you). Be sure to specify which you are doing.
- Use of another user's concepts without permission will be considered god-modding and addressed as such; consequences can range from such use being declared non-canonical to moderator action for inciting unnecessary drama.
This thread will remained pinned for now, but it may be unpinned and simply remain as a link in the rules thread, at some point.
As always, feel free to approach any RPG mod with any questions you may have.