Common Themes/Tropes in Your Writing?

Grimmwald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I almost never write villains who can be empathized or sympathized with. Nor do I write villains who complicate things as far as challenging the ethical standards held by the world at large. My villains are always irredeemable in both their means and their ends. They have evil goals and use evil means to achieve those goals, and that's because when I create villains, I don't do so with the intention of creating very nuanced characters with a lot of psychological, ideological and ethical complexity. Some of my villains may have that, but I never set out to do so.

When I create villains, I always do so with the intention of creating a sizable obstacle for heroic characters (and even other villainous characters). An obstacle that other characters will need to experience character growth in order to overcome. An example is Satar. He was an enormous obstacle for everyone. However, when he was finally overcome by a heroic character in Abigail, it was because she'd experienced character growth. She'd become more decisive and more confident. Of course, it also led to her undergoing character development because of the consequences that arose from her defeating Satar.

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#252  Edited By Rosso

Aside from fluctuating with different circumstances, my characters' weights are rarely numbers ending in 5 or 0.

Sasaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#253  Edited By Sasaki

Taking characters/types prone to some of the most obvious and/or overused stereotypes, and fleshing them out, so that in time the details become so important that people hardly even think of it as "a type" because the character comes first. A product being greater than the sum of its parts.

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least one or two oddly specific, almost useless pieces of equipment just because I think of situations in my head where they may become necessary or make for a nice scene in my head.

Avatar image for ashley_knightfall
Ashley_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My characters tend to start off young (early teens to early twenties). I like writing young characters because to me it allows more character development than older characters who are set in their way. Which is why Ashley is kinda weird for me to write...

My villains tend to be one that are influenced by anger. Homicide, Zeon, Nova (as Nova X) and Rage Quit. Just more fun for me to write unstable angry characters.

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My characters tend to start off young (early teens to early twenties). I like writing young characters because to me it allows more character development than older characters who are set in their way. Which is why Ashley is kinda weird for me to write...

I have the same tendency. Also partly influenced by the fact I started writing here in my teens and it was easier to connect, writing characters in that "discovering yourself" phase of life just as I was [though that happened unconsciously]. And because I don't start with a hard, completely defined personality from the onset. In fact I'm always afraid that, at least at the start, they're exactly the same as [or too close to] another character of mine. But they become more distinct as I write them and I decide who I want them to be.

Sii-la

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daddy issues, absent mothers, always some secret wrapped in a mystery bowed up with an enigma encased in a puzzle and they tend to be intelligent and witty. Except for Donut Danny he was too good for this world of tropes.

Avatar image for ashley_knightfall
Ashley_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rosso said:
@ashley_knightfall said:

I have the same tendency. Also partly influenced by the fact I started writing here in my teens and it was easier to connect, writing characters in that "discovering yourself" phase of life just as I was [though that happened unconsciously]. And because I don't start with a hard, completely defined personality from the onset. In fact I'm always afraid that, at least at the start, they're exactly the same as [or too close to] another character of mine. But they become more distinct as I write them and I decide who I want them to be.

weirdly enough i wasn't a teen when I joined CV, but teens were a lot easier for me to write than adults...

But I think because (like you said) their story isnt set in stone yet. It's a lot more flexible to write a teen starting off in their career (as a hero or villain) because you can still go so many ways with them. Where as someone like Ashley, they already had their building story (Reality M), what makes them who they are, how they see the world and how they handle situations. Sure you get to decided what happened to them, but it's just not the same! It's so much more fun in the moment than building them to be a certain way.

Richard Wolfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rosso: I tend to find a lot of things that are common between my characters that I don't realize until it just... clicks. Of course now I can't name one of these things -___-

I forgot how many super solid, super established characters you have. Also... I want to be friends with all of 'em.

Thinking back now

• Cass - birth father murdered, adopted dad (kinda) was Gambler... 'nuff said. Step-dad (bio)... that's confusing - was Sov Son, who was great.
  • Whisper - Depending on which universe, but in one of 'em (and this is canon to the current version), her father suffered traumatic PTSD and ended up being responsible for the death of her mother as well as himself
  • Whisper - Original version - her father was Lord....something, and... a bad guy in part responsible for snuffing out that universe, stemming from the death of her mother
  • Child of Darkness - was cloned from Cass by Darkchild
  • Morgaine de Bourbon - both parents died during Space France
  • Cassidy O'Rourke (Cerebus version) - dad beat the shit out of her - broke all her fingers at one point after slamming them in a door intentionally
  • Ellie - Her dad was Jayden Knightfall 'nuff said
  • Isis Liafador - Her dad was Kane Liafador 'nuff said
  • Lily LeBeau - her dad was Charlemagne, 'nuff said
  • Adriana Huntington - her dad is. Alaric Huntington 'nuff said

I think I have maybe four chars who have good dads/home lives.

Good lord, stop trying to ruin my methos.

Whisper - OG - Lord's Angel is alt version of Hawk. Turned into LA after going insane at the death of Whisper's mother by the hands of Gambler.

Avatar image for xzenix-everdeen
Xzenix-Everdeen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Song references.

The_Seleucid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261  Edited By The_Seleucid

I try to make heroes or at least anti-heroes in some cases.

Sawyer is a robotic swordsman but has amnesia.

Wolo is just a CEO who like to make weird things,

I guess you can call those tropes.

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Song references.

I do this. Often in small subtle ways I don't expect many [or, at times, any] people to recognise, but also at times geared toward a specific person.

It's been handy for knowing when Impero has been secretly watching me.

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stealing or otherwise acquiring things from other people's characters, fully intent on keeping them [including unplanned instances, like the most recent one].

ParagonxXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rosso: *Keeps my character's things nicely locked up* Mine!

Avatar image for emperor_von_doom
Emperor_von_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Sci-fi dystopia.

Madvillain_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mostly cat and mouse games, and some erotic scenes every once in a while.

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hiding skills/abilities/tech, et cetera, "to have it in my back pocket" for future encounters [when enemies come up with contingencies and adapt to things], but holding onto them for way longer than I expect because sometimes I forget myself that I planned on using them.

Grimmwald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268  Edited By Grimmwald

A constant feature of my writing, or rather my characters, is a high-level of martial arts skill. I always call upon my years as a martial artist to supplement my characters' fighting ability. Specifically, my characters usually tend to favor fighting systems built around techniques etc. that I favor IRL, so my characters' fighting systems typically consist of distance management, counter-striking (kicks to the legs and body in particular), stepping across instead of stepping in, and use of angles. And my characters tend to almost always primarily be strikers, with grappling used in a defensive measure, and of the times they do use grappling offensively, it's usually to create openings for strikes. The one character I wrote with a heavy grappling approach from an offensive standpoint however, was Satar. But that's changed as well.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

My characters usually are brutes who have good nature when heroes, or big in some way. Often use of redemption.

My villains rarely have any redeeming qualities about them.

Oeselian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I generally tend to stay away from certain things like tech-related stuff. I can't write a tech style character to save my life; guess I'm just not imaginative enough for it? No idea haha.

Grimsrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I noticed most of my characters, in most battles, don't open with an attack. Even with differences in the way I write them in battles, I seem to gravitate toward counter-striking when it comes to open confrontations with non-NPCs. Not always, and percentages vary with the character, but I realize I often use the initiation to wait for the opponent to make a move off of which I can base a counterattack.

Grimmwald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Almost all of my characters are geared for battling. I love battling and I feel it's probably my strongest area as an RP'er, and it's why I enjoyed the early eras of the CVnU when battling was the most competitive and most difficult it has ever been in CV history. It doesn't get much better than battling the likes of LL, G, Sha, and that's influenced my character writing enough that I almost always build my characters with a foundation for battling. And I think it's most obvious in how I built Satar. I don't think I've been in more battles with any other character.

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grimmwald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275  Edited By Grimmwald

@rosso: I thought it goes without saying that...

You're top four, and that includes LL and G!

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grimmwald: Whore! And I got an evil twin, so who the ᚠ*©? you think that third and that fourth spot's for?

Grimmwald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277  Edited By Grimmwald

@rosso said:

@grimmwald: Whore! And I got an evil twin, so who the ᚠ*©? you think that third and that fourth spot's for?

Grimmwald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278  Edited By Grimmwald

After a recent conversation with Mercy, I realized that a common staple of my writing is that I will inevitably have my characters break away (and at times even betray) from any family/faction/team they are a part of and forge a distinct and separate (sometimes solitary) narrative direction for my characters.

• Prime Impero betrayed Jean Luc and the LoS to join the JLI (which he also ended up breaking away from).
  • Andres gradually separated himself from the Knightfalls, befriending Amaranth etc.
  • Grandmaster Yin broke away from the Hyper-Sapiens and betrayed his family to found his own radical and violent ideology.
  • Ezra Strix broke away from the Strix family.
  • Rafael broke away from Natalia and the Pantera.
  • Leo broke away from the Liafadors.
  • Grimmwald broke away from the Shadow Knights.
Phantomshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grimmwald:

And your characters almost always BOO-Up lol

Phantomshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually gravitate towards Illuminati/organizations, evil corporate suit wearing types with covert schemes and plots. And they're never heroic or morally sound.

Grimmwald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll give my characters a "main" codename and rarely actually call them that in my own writing.

Avatar image for selene_liafador
Selene_Liafador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a hard time writing characters that exist on a moral binary of good or evil. They almost always act within both regions, depending on their personal convictions for any given situation.

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daddy issues rear their ugly head once again.

Jordyn_Hill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always place a heavy emphases on my character's attire

Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bad writing

Avatar image for thisisgonnahurt
ThisIsGonnaHurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Big bois with big tois making big noise

@thief said:

Bad writing

Shut

Feral Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#288 Feral Nova  Moderator

I tend to emphasis on characters feelings during events.

Anxiety, fear, anger and such. I also break them down with physical reactions such as anxiety with heart palpitations and sweating. Fear with hyperventilation and such. Anger with the feeling of heart pounding and tunnel vision. All that nice stuff.

Avatar image for aelia_stormwind
Aelia_Stormwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing with fire.

_Araneae_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Powers backfiring on the person who possesses them.

Noah_Grayson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Almost all of my characters end up being complete a$$holes..After Alex went d*cko mode, it seemed like everyone else I've written sense have the same trait. Though it's easier when I'm writing posts and I'm completely aware of what I'm writing instead of just going with my heart. Because I think deep down I'm just an a$$ XD.

Some of my characters are pretty neutral. But the biggest a$$es are

• Alex: definitely a major d*ck as of late, gonna try and write him nicer. Maybe just scrap him all together
  • Thomas: More of a subtle a$$, mostly when he's the Crimson Hood
  • Agent Anarchy: When he's not in perfect symbiosis Kayden can be a huge d*ck, mostly to offset his opponents
Oraculi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All my characters have an element of insanity.

Shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#293  Edited By Shanana

Most if not all my character's have parent issues. IDK why I fall into that trope all the time (Especially since I don't have parent issues)

Micro-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of my characters are geniuses...I don't like writing dumb people...It's boring...

Red_Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually use description more in my writing than I really should, which is odd cause I believe description is the most important part of ones writing

_Araneae_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tend to avoid making "hypercompetent" characters straightaway, as well as hard expressions of capability in areas such as skills and intellect. E.g. characters explicitly stated to be geniuses or "master martial artists." Even the ones who are, I adhere to the "show, don't tell" rule, and pretty much never use those words in bio descriptions and general goings. As well, more often than not I avoid photographic reflexes [unless I've got an explanation for the mechanisms of it that feels unique, and can play with it in a unique way].

It's fairly common for me to operate characters below my level of capability in certain areas. I actually find that entertaining [when done right--which I do]. When Abigail started out, she was intended to be superbly good at archery--practically supernaturally so--but less so in hand-to-hand. So even though I'm a better h2h fighter than I am an archer, she'd be in certain situation where even if I knew what to do, she might not, and I'd act in that way, until she became the top dog through grinding. Trinity is probably the biggest example because she's a combat machine capable of contending with pretty much anyone in a fight, buuuuuut she lacks pretty much everywhere that isn't relevant to her specialties. Social things and other kinds of intelligence, for example.

TheSwindler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297  Edited By TheSwindler

Almost every one of my characters, expect Albert, appears extremely friendly when they aren't near something they hate

_Araneae_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Names that people constantly misspell.

Avatar image for cadmus_liafador
Cadmus_Liafador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299  Edited By Cadmus_Liafador

I believe I am a very descriptive combat writer (Descriptive; not good) I add a lot of detail of the attack and the moments leading up to it and then I try and flow into it the best that I am able.

Duchess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

My characters looooove to look out windows. Dramatic gazes are a must.