Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Tessa_Callahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rosso: Zauby just shush and let us both bask in the glow of this compliment.

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tessa_callahan: I'd count my blessings but I suck at math, and I'd rather wallow than bask.

Grimmwald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My characters are never humble. Ever.

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grimmwald: That book writer from that one post you made...

Grimmwald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rosso: I should've gone through with that character. But oh well!

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grimmwald: It's not too late!

Although I'd shelve it, or do it as an aside for the time being, if anything.

Grimmwald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rosso: At some point I will. Just not right now.

I still need to go after Valentina!

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grimmwald:

In Soviet Russia, Valentina goes after you.

Rey_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I write for this OC; I tend to make him very emotional (Cause he's DEKU)

When I'm writing for King however, ,I try to make him as apathetic I possibly can, unless he is showing pride.

Grimmwald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rosso said:

@grimmwald:

Whatever gets her to me.

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. High-speed driving, often involving fancy vehicles.
  2. Loud music, including during combat, using speakers and/or earphones. [Originally just an excuse for me to include some of my mood music in posts.]
Grimmwald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I almost always write more morally ambiguous variations of the heroic archetype. Specifically, antiheroes and Byronic heroes. I rarely write ideal heroes in the sense that my heroic characters will have ideals and morals that most of the society finds ideal.

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lingering scars/marks on characters' bodies.

llama_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a feeling Devil's Advocacy bleeds into all my characters.

Rondstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Rondstrum

-Mental/emotional issues:

Examples: Almost all of my characters have some form of anxiety, depression, or pain. Mr_Warthen was the one I most showed this in as social anxiety, Joseph Rondstrum and Random have PTSD, Jason_Ford had the pain, and even Zafir_Karim had an intense fear. The few that don't are usually insane in some way.

-Never lie:

In spite of characters hiding identities, which I actually haven't done a ton, most of my characters don't actually lie much, especially about their goals. Even the one which did the most deception, Zafir_Karim, still rarely lied directly to one person, and many of his speeches were still truthful to an extent.

-Overpowered and/or over-intelligent:

Don't actually need to give many examples but I will anyway, Zafir_Karim, Mr_Warthen, Jason_Ford (mostly intelligence there), aleron, Mr_winters, most anyone really. The ones who I can say I did better holding back on are Joshua_Kingsly who was more versatile, still intelligent, but not exactly too much of either, and Joseph Rondstrum's intelligence which is good but hardly close to the likes of most of my others.

-Low self esteem:

In spite of how often some of my characters may boast, a lot don't have high self esteem or just don't really think about it. Most of the time they say it as pure fact rather then a legitimate accomplishment, Joseph Rondstrum is a little different here.

-No holding back:

Except for when I go to far, such as Mr Winters intentionally not getting involved in everything because he could "see every possible route" and his intervention in all of them would be bad and attract bad attention, I generally don't have characters who just disable people, most are willing to kill without any emotional backlash. Joseph was really the first time I legitimately didn't do that.

Hawkshade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Until Hawkshade my characters have almost always been loners with a limited need for friendships or relationships. Not that they didn't have friends but they didn't have many and they didn't need their friends on the same emotional level or feel the same bonds of attachment that Hawkshade does.

Voracious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Between Jackal, Bradshaw and Voracious especially, I tend to make characters who are brought up as weapons and eventually try to find a deeper meaning in life than simply fighting or being the most powerful/the best in the business.

_Drake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By _Drake

Drake's the epitome of what I truly enjoyed writing throughout my last months. A different view on the world encompassing him, more like an outsider than anything else, just a person keeping it real, but still able to work with the resourcefulness of one of my favorite characters of recent time (Deicidium), even if not to the same extent, as well as keeping some of the characteristics I most identify with and thus think easier to convey in my writing, which are the pessimistic outtake at everything, the surly sarcasm and the fact of always accepting life as it is unless brought over the edge.

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Using, or attempting to use, other people to fight battles for them. Often through manipulation or coercion (Valentina, Nastya, Antonia, Arturia), but also sometimes it just happens naturally as people gravitate toward them and they go...Shrug. "Sure, go ahead." (Arturia, Antonia.)

Voracious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use my environment a lot in general.

For street leveler oriented characters, particularly humans, I use more mundane means. I have picked up the armored corpse of an NPC and used it to block an explosion. Used a chair to cause a sword stab to fall short. I have shot a fire hydrant to douce a fire based superhuman's flames. Blown up cars with grenades to make a makeshift thermobaric bomb. Some will sever electric wiring to put a block's worth of power on a beefier meta. Some drive cars into some metas to hit with dozens of tons of force. They'll pick up a kitchen knife and stab someone. (I've always wanted to try to slam a door on someone's head.)

More superhuman character tend towards picking up lamp posts, signs and car parts. They'll make large street signs/highway signs fall on people. Some strong but not bulletproof characters may take a door from an armored vehicle and carry it to block bullets. If the environment is urban than my characters will make use of cover and more nimble guy's will ascend buildings in the middle of a fight for a better vantage point. A desert, and they make use of sand, maybe throwing a lot of it up using superhuman strength or otherwise (as Miss Mayhem has) to conceal their movements.

Etc. Etc...

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On the subject of weapons...little side weapons that they [almost] never use, even though I give them in the first place because I go "y'know what'd be neat?"

Arturia...well, she almost never fights. But she had the jewelled dagger from Park that she never used because it was too dear to her. Abby has the dagger and athame which were always there for, like, contingency (like say she was trapped, or in close quarters and needed to stab someone, and the athame was supposed to be secretly magical) - but even in the rare occasion she got into it close quarters she'd just end up using her arrows more than anything. Shiho had a ton of stuff she didn't use, and she actually used marbles and things as weapons more than the grenades she was given. Toni also had a ton of things she never used. And Nastya still has yet to use her claws in combat with a non-NPC. [I was actually saving those for Ivana at one point.]

Hawkshade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rosso said:

On the subject of weapons...little side weapons that they [almost] never use, even though I give them in the first place because I go "y'know what'd be neat?"

Arturia...well, she almost never fights. But she had the jewelled dagger from Park that she never used because it was too dear to her. Abby has the dagger and athame which were always there for, like, contingency (like say she was trapped, or in close quarters and needed to stab someone, and the athame was supposed to be secretly magical) - but even in the rare occasion she got into it close quarters she'd just end up using her arrows more than anything. Shiho had a ton of stuff she didn't use, and she actually used marbles and things as weapons more than the grenades she was given. Toni also had a ton of things she never used. And Nastya still has yet to use her claws in combat with a non-NPC. [I was actually saving those for Ivana at one point.]

I do the same thing, though sometimes it's countermeasures to powers that are extremely difficult to counter without a specific piece of equipment. That's why Ivana had that arm mounted laser on her suit; there is a powerset that is tough to counter without it and could shut down her martial arts based attacks.

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawkshade: I noticed you avoiding saying what it was. Smart. Never know who's watching.

Hawkshade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is gonna eat at me now. Just for the sake of knowing.

Grimmwald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hawkshade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I often write about what can be accomplished with will and intellect. Martial arts proficiency in a comic book universe is essentially the product of two sources; willpower and access to advanced instructors. Comic book characters routinely become superhuman by just one of these two methods. Technology, likewise, is a result of intellect and will in comic book worlds. Ironman built the first suit in a cave, after all.

I'm interested in writing about how much can be accomplished with a foundation of intellect and will. Can a character out-maneuver the government with nothing but a realistically achievable level of resources, their own wit and drive? Or defeat a group of equally powerful characters or bring down one much more powerful character? That is what I am interested in writing. It's the challenge. Can I do it in a way that is realistic, in genre and believable.

Punching down is not as challenging and if something is easy.. where is the sense of attainment in accomplishing it? I would rather go up against seemingly impossible odds and face a great risk of failure. I'm always more motivated in those conditions. Give me a task that no one else has been able to do. That is what I want.

Amon-Ra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My characters are never weak systematically. Sure, they can be underdogs or even with not much narrative enforcement, but they are always, capable.

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know that I've ever had a character I played for an extended period of time who could be described as "generally happy." Most who appear so are fronting, and a significant number are depressed (among other mental issues).

Trinity isn't depressed, but she's not particularly happy either.

Grimmwald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Many of my characters tend to be humanized by forces external to themselves because most of the characters I write operate in a space of moral ambiguity (some even in morally questionable spaces). So they're rarely humanized by their own inherent qualities. They're usually humanized by the relationships they have with certain characters because those specific relationships are the external stimuli that bring out the more human and empathetic aspects of many of my characters' psyches. Of course, there are exceptions to this with characters like Thee Champion who is humanized by his own internal qualities as an individual, and characters like Satar, Ezra Strix and Brahma Bull who aren't humanized no matter what internal and external forces are acting upon them because I write them as irredeemable villains. Villains who can't be empathized with unless you're a sick human being, LOL.

Voracious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tend to write characters who ironically befriend higher tiers, not for benefit, but the reasoning that they are actually afraid of losing people. So, they end up seeing someone who is less likely/cannot be lost. Bradshaw to Timesiphon. Bradshaw to Ankh. Shades of this in Average Man and Solarius. Some of this in Voracious and Ankh.

I write characters who can come across as stoic, cold and indifferent but in reality, some of them are simply afraid of losing people they allow to get near them.

Noah_Noble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Athletic to hyper acrobatic. Fluidity and grace of motion are probably my favorite things to write. I've never written a character who was physically inept or diminished. Maybe once now that I think about it...

Voracious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinetic Weapons are just better

Many of my characters use conventional firearms or simply expand upon modern technology to just make better guns/more powerful bullets. I also tend to just plain sell gunshots way more than I do energy weapons

Some characters even are resistant to/functionally functionally immune to lasers and directed weapons in general. Yet are vulnerable to kinetic weaponry such as bullets and flying shrapnel from debris. Soliton was immune to changes in heat and could feasibly use electrons generate any kind of lens to deflect a laser, plasma or directed energy weapon. Maverick more or less had armor that countered various types of Directed Energy Weapons. What of Nabuu's skin that wasn't vibranium armored can pretty much become a perfect-coherent absorber at a whim for the entire Electro-Magnetic Spectrum. Even Average-Man's armor has ceramic plating that let it easily survive plasma

However, Soliton can be (and has been) shot. (Many) Maverick characters and Average-Man could be defeated through focused and concentrated fire (or indestructium projectiles). Nabuu bled from people shooting anti tank rounds into the chinks of it's armor. Etc. Etc....

Avatar image for valerie_huntington
Valerie_Huntington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being a bitch

ParagonxXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 ParagonxXx  Online

Okay, you want a task no one has been able to do then try climbing Mt. Everest....

....while naked.

I often write about what can be accomplished with will and intellect. Martial arts proficiency in a comic book universe is essentially the product of two sources; willpower and access to advanced instructors. Comic book characters routinely become superhuman by just one of these two methods. Technology, likewise, is a result of intellect and will in comic book worlds. Ironman built the first suit in a cave, after all.

I'm interested in writing about how much can be accomplished with a foundation of intellect and will. Can a character out-maneuver the government with nothing but a realistically achievable level of resources, their own wit and drive? Or defeat a group of equally powerful characters or bring down one much more powerful character? That is what I am interested in writing. It's the challenge. Can I do it in a way that is realistic, in genre and believable.

Punching down is not as challenging and if something is easy.. where is the sense of attainment in accomplishing it? I would rather go up against seemingly impossible odds and face a great risk of failure. I'm always more motivated in those conditions. Give me a task that no one else has been able to do. That is what I want.

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Many of my characters are either hyper-intelligent to some degree or another, or skilled/powerful while lacking in any kind of formal schooling or "normal" crafts/trades. There's very little in-between.

ParagonxXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By ParagonxXx  Online

I love writing powerful characters (but not planet pushers, even I have my limits). For example: Many call Superman boring because they believe he's too powerful. What can challenge a guy like that? What these people don't realize is that a good writer does not struggle finding a worthy challenge because a good writer knows how to adapt what is already available, then make the challenge equal, or greater, than the powerful character they are writing. That is the key right there. Just to name one example: My character, Paragon, is bulletproof. How to challenge that without going the easy route and exploit her weaknesses? Simple. Turn that ballistic weapon into a high-tech, really powerful, energy weapon. Now Paragon can get hurt.

For me, part of the fun of writing a powerful character is finding ways to challenge them by making threats equal or greater to my characters. Then I like to mess with their emotions, put them through the emotional meat grinder and find out what they are really made of. They may be able to lift cities the size of New York, but what if they fail? It's a lot harder on these kinds of characters than a street level hero in my view. Plus, there are other aspects too. Paragon is really strong, so she constantly fears she might accidentally lose control and hug someone too hard or break every bone in their hand with a handshake. Being constantly on guard can create some interesting stories. Having the image of perfection with the public, but in private my characters are deeply flawed. Those aspects are worth exploring.

So, just because a character of mine can bench press Mt. Everest, it doesn't mean things are easy for them. With more power comes more responsibility to use that power wisely. One slip and they fall harder than most. Cities, or the loss of life, doesn't necessarily have to happen for a big hero to have a fall. There's more than one way to knock down a hero. The real story is how that hero responds when things get really tough. They can be true heroes and push through it or they can let circumstances destroy them. For me, that's part of the fun of playing such characters.

ParagonxXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 ParagonxXx  Online

Being a bitch

I wonder what your character would be like if she were a mother. Tehehe. ~_^

Avatar image for valerie_huntington
Valerie_Huntington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ParagonxXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 ParagonxXx  Online
Voracious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I write a lot about racism, surpassing it and he who fights monsters.

Particularly with Maverick.They started out a very racist, Covertly Anti-Metahuman. From an official stand-point, they were just a powerful PMC. But, most of their soldiers were made of people who hated mutants and metahumans simply for what they were. For simply, existing and reminding them of their perceived irrelevance. They would never flex on a superhuman from a physical standpoint or really use much in the realm of appeal to force. More so, they always claimed the moral high ground on superhumans.

As Maverick became more prominent and they came to basically bully some mutants/metahumans and even be feared by them as a sort of "boogeyman" this sort of started to dwindle when people would point this out. There also were cases of mutants doing nothing wrong, people in Maverick working with various and Maverick being forced to save them, as well a mutant joining Maverick, that ultimately made them less racist.

Now-a-days they more or less work with such superheroes when it is effective. And over time they became less racist until they basically more so changed philosophy to "the distribution of power". Particularly when they met powerful humans like Sam Washington, Orpheus Knightfall and Zafir Karim. They more so have negative attitudes to simply powerful entities that did nothing to prove they are should have, that power.

Grimmwald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My villains tend to embody the psychology of evil to the extreme. All of them actually. Satar, Brahma Bull, and Ezra Strix.

Voracious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tend to group magic, superscience and supernatural forces into the same category.

My characters tend to not act as though metahumans/mutants are "natural" beings when you compare them to other kinds of animals. It is specific/particular to humans and defies most things in the realms of science. So my characters tend to treat it as different from normal science/forces.

Grimmwald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rosso said:

Many of my characters are either hyper-intelligent to some degree or another, or skilled/powerful while lacking in any kind of formal schooling or "normal" crafts/trades. There's very little in-between.

I love that. Especially because many of your characters use that intelligence in very tangible ways, more-so than their other powers and abilities.

Tessa_Callahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't ever set out with the intention to do this, but almost all of my characters experience arcs regarding redemption and personal responsibility.

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grimmwald: I was thinking about that too. For example Abigail was supposed to represent a roughly average intelligence. She also has powers. But I forget that a lot and internally classify her as "badass normal," and at some point it just occurred to me that...she's not.

Anya was probably my closest to "average" (though in fact she's below average because she was a victim of the public school system in Gothic...but she has power).

Grimmwald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rosso: I think in Abigail's case that's really prominent. That she uses her intelligence a lot. Especially in combat. It's why she survives a lot better than almost every other hero when she faces extremely dangerous opponents like Ivana, Charlemagne and Satar. The way she engages, manages distance, her weapons choice etc. it's always tactically sound. I love it.

I wish you wrote more with her.

Voracious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By Voracious

I tend to reward skill and different approaches rather than just raw power and making the most powerful character.

When B0G came at me with Adrian, who was a planet buster, Bold beat him into the ground. Satar fought Bold through more or less trial and erroring different methods that would bypass his defenses, go around, rather than through. And so he knocked Bold out.

The same occurred with Asmodeus. When Solarius fought shot a beam with enough focused energy into a singular to wipe out the surface of the Earth, I no sold it because Asmodeus was capable of detecting high levels of power. But mere moments later he got hit by a much less powerful magical spear he wasn't defending against at the time.

Happens again in World Eater. Methodius summons up an equally large construct to try to fight Nabuu pacific Rim style, only to find the vibranium clad monster to be immune to such types of punches. Moments later, Anti-Kaiju Defense Force controlled by Azra shoots at the kinks in it's armor and towards it's impossible to armor eyes and impedes it for others to launch various types of attacks through trial and error.

The very same arc, I actually was able to incorporate Weidmann (Despite being a street leveler.) by basically selling him doing research on the creature and pointing out his weaknesses. He arguably had far more effect that Methodius, who was the most powerful and yet seemingly the least useful because his types of attacks were ineffective. (Vibranium negated his punches, and Nabuu's nature as a giant nuclear reactor allowed him to generate magnetic fields that made his lightning useless.) Simply by giving people knowledge, he singlehandedly helped them fight it better.

On the less powerful/street leveler side, many of my street levels/mid-tiers find very mundane solutions to high tier attacks. Bradshaw was capable of fighting Sha back in the day and survived a nuke being launched at him. He survived fighting contingency, who was swung a skyscraper at him like a baseball bat simply by ducking. Septimus survived the Plaguefather's rot simply by being undead and his (un)life force serving to prevent decay. He attacked their money and their ideas, rather than the ultimately replaceable soldiers Maverick never sent towards higher tier characters anyway.

The person who hurt Maverick the worst at the end of the day was arguably Dox, who shunted them in the lime-light and made them answer for their crimes and actually made them have to be moral for at least publicity. Rather than staying some shadow corporation as it once started out as.

Hawkshade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, you want a task no one has been able to do then try climbing Mt. Everest....

....while naked.

I have never gone climbing, believe it or not.