After some discussion between us, the Council of Editors, myself, @nordok and @zauberin have decided to make an addition to the rules regarding some elements of Mythology. Credit goes to Nordok for writing all this out. ^_^
Here it is.
Due to the sudden uptick in use of existing mythological elements, we felt the need to add to the rules in order to offer some guidelines. These rules are being instituted to address a number of concerns:
- Avoiding any potential legal concerns (specifically in regards to copyright)
- Avoiding unnecessary drama
- Ensuring that the CVnU remains a viable role playing universe
So, to that end, we are now insisting that all CVnU character must be original characters, as in, characters that were entirely created by their writers. Here is what this means:
- No "real world" characters. Don't create accounts for characters who are actual people who do or did exist. Use of real characters as NPCs may be okay in certain circumstances, but this should be done sparingly and judiciously.
- No pre-existing fictional characters that you don't own. No Batman, Spider-Man, etc; they belong to someone else. A character based on an existing fictional character is fine, but make sure you give them your own twist, backstory, etc.
- No CVnU mythological characters. What this means is that you can create alternate-reality mythological figures, or characters that are somehow connected to CVnU mythological figures, but no one can play Thor, Hercules, etc . This is to keep the foundation of existing mythologies intact for any future usage.
Note that characters created before this rule was rolled out will be grandfathered; the rules just need to be followed from this point forward.
Addendum: Characters such as Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, etc, have been referenced in Role-Plays. To be clear, none of them exist in the CVnU. However, it's okay if they exist strictly as Comic Book characters.
Grandfathered Characters: This is a short list of characters that have been "grandfathered" in. Meaning, the players behind them can keep these characters since they were created before the rule change.
Amora (Created on 6-16-2013)
Sir Percival (Created on 9-28-19)
If there are any concerns or questions, please direct them here in this thread towards either myself, Nordok or Zauberin (Rosso, Trinity-blue, etc).
Does anyone have questions or concerns?