Announcement! Rules about Mythology have been updated. Please read.

ParagonxXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ParagonxXx

After some discussion between us, the Council of Editors, myself, @nordok and @zauberin have decided to make an addition to the rules regarding some elements of Mythology. Credit goes to Nordok for writing all this out. ^_^

Here it is.

Due to the sudden uptick in use of existing mythological elements, we felt the need to add to the rules in order to offer some guidelines. These rules are being instituted to address a number of concerns:

1. Avoiding any potential legal concerns (specifically in regards to copyright)
  2. Avoiding unnecessary drama
  3. Ensuring that the CVnU remains a viable role playing universe

So, to that end, we are now insisting that all CVnU character must be original characters, as in, characters that were entirely created by their writers. Here is what this means:

1. No "real world" characters. Don't create accounts for characters who are actual people who do or did exist. Use of real characters as NPCs may be okay in certain circumstances, but this should be done sparingly and judiciously.
  2. No pre-existing fictional characters that you don't own. No Batman, Spider-Man, etc; they belong to someone else. A character based on an existing fictional character is fine, but make sure you give them your own twist, backstory, etc.
  3. No CVnU mythological characters. What this means is that you can create alternate-reality mythological figures, or characters that are somehow connected to CVnU mythological figures, but no one can play Thor, Hercules, etc from the CVnU. This is to keep the foundation of existing mythologies intact for any future usage.

Note that characters created before this rule was rolled out will be grandfathered; the rules just need to be followed from this point forward.

Addendum: Characters such as Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, etc, have been referenced in Role-Plays. To be clear, none of them exist in the CVnU. However, it's okay if they exist strictly as Comic Book characters.

Grandfathered Characters: This is a short list of characters that have been "grandfathered" in. Meaning, the players behind them can keep these characters since they were created before the rule change.

Amora (Created on 6-16-2013)

Sir Percival (Created on 9-28-19)

If there are any concerns or questions, please direct them here in this thread towards either myself, Nordok or Zauberin (Rosso, Trinity-blue, etc).

Does anyone have questions or concerns?

kell_saloks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oft using preexisting mythologies is old and lame.

Making completely unique mythologies with their own pantheon is where it's at

;P

Shield-Maiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Shield-Maiden  Online

Awesome! I almost had a heart attack thinking we couldn’t NPC the Greek Pantheon 😂

The_Crown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BOY was I lucky I got my stuff in beforehand wasn't I.

Has the Arthurian legends that someone was just making recently been counted as being before or will he just have to find some other way around that? I know that's not technically my problem but I do want to know.

Chase_Moone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never really had a problem with that. August where it's at.

Orb-Weaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shield-Maiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Shield-Maiden  Online

@orb-weaver: They aren’t mine, but *stabs* 😂

HumansFirst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn. There goes my plan to RP as cyborg George Washington. =/

ParagonxXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ParagonxXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BOY was I lucky I got my stuff in beforehand wasn't I.

Has the Arthurian legends that someone was just making recently been counted as being before or will he just have to find some other way around that? I know that's not technically my problem but I do want to know.

Ozzy's "Sir Percival" will be Grandfathered in. Meaning, he can keep that character since it's before the rule change. But no more making canon characters and playing them from here on out. Any other characters from mythology must be NPCed only.

ParagonxXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oft using preexisting mythologies is old and lame.

Making completely unique mythologies with their own pantheon is where it's at

;P

There is certainly more freedom when doing that isn't there? ~_^

kell_saloks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kell_saloks

Concern I think we should have it like stickied which characters have been fathered in because most newbies won't know who is who with out direct linking.

ParagonxXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kell_saloks: That's an excellent suggestion, but that's something you might want to consider bringing to the mods since they can do that sort of thing. Nordok, Zauberin and Feral Nova are the mods if you want to go to one or more of them for that and present your case.

Feral Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14 Feral Nova  Moderator

Concern I think we should have it like stickied which characters have been fathered in because most newbies won't know who is who with out direct linking.

I’m sorry but uh, what?

Juno_Fei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kell_saloks said:

I’m sorry but uh, what?

I think she's saying that we should have an index of characters that are being "grandfathered in" since they were created before these rules were put in place, so that newer users can reference them for... Reasons? That's what I gathered at least.

kell_saloks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kell_saloks

@juno_fei: In law it's typically important to have listed exceptions with time stamps of them to avoid the drama of perceived unfairness not just for reasons >.>

Feral Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17 Feral Nova  Moderator

@juno_fei said:
@feral_nova said:
@kell_saloks said:

I’m sorry but uh, what?

I think she's saying that we should have an index of characters that are being "grandfathered in" since they were created before these rules were put in place, so that newer users can reference them for... Reasons? That's what I gathered at least.

Oh, if thats the case.

@paragonxxx that’s totally a coe thing then. since it has to do strictly cvnu canon. Mods arnt in charge of figuring out who’s grandfathered in, thats all COE. My suggestion is put the list you guys are allowing to be grandfathered in on this page to make it more accessible and then have either Nord or Zaubs pin on the top of the page for a few weeks so users know.

ParagonxXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ParagonxXx

@feral_nova: Alright. Sounds good to me. I'll bring this to the attention of Nordok and Zauberin.

The_Crown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lena_Dante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers