All RPers Please Read: Language Issue- UPDATE 04/28/17

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Feral Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Feral Nova  Moderator

Hey guys, I've noticed a rather large increase in inappropriate language here in the RP forums for a few months now. But even after warnings, they still continue on and seem to be getting worse within the last month. If you have read the site rules when first coming to ComicVine (as we all should have), you know there are several words that are banned from the site, which are listed in the site rules. I want all RPers to understand just because we are role-playing, it does not mean that we are exempted from the language rule. This rule (as well as all the other site rules) apply to the RP section no matter what thread you are writing in and all members of the site are expected to follow it.

The following quote are the rules regarding language as written in the Site Rules

Language

Banned:

• Fuck

• Faggot and any derivations (to include negative sexual slurs)

• Racial slurs and any derivations

• Use of "retard" or other related slurs

• Use of "rape" to flippantly describe something out of context (this extends to any word/synonym that is to convey a similar message)

The mods hope that this clarification will help Viners know exactly what words they can get busted for and what words are technically okay.

A few notes by way of explanation:

1. We ask, of course, that just because you can use certain words that you still treat each other civilly. Insults are still against the rules. You can't call someone a "bitch" and then get upset when you get a warning. "But 'bitch' is an okay word to use in the forums!" you might say. Sure, but not in the way you used it.

2. You can't use the F-word. Don't edit it to make it "okay." (No: f***, f_ck, fvck, f$ck, etc.) We don't want to see it. Pick a different word. Move on.

3. Sexual orientation slurs are out. People have a problem with the ban of the word "faggot." Get over it. It is hateful speech and not allowed. Included in this rule is the use of "gay" to paint something negatively.

4. Racial slurs are out. It does not matter if you claim right to a word or phrase because it belongs to "your people" - don't use them. We don't want to foster an atmosphere of exclusion. This extends to edits (examples: n!gg@, g00k, ch!nk, wetb@ck, etc.).

5. Do not refer to someone as a "retard" or to something as "retarded." Also, do not tack "-tard" onto the ends of words. Calling someone a Narutard is the same as calling them a retarded Naruto fan. Don't do it.

6. "Rape" is a word with incredibly negative connotations. It is not a joke word and should not be used to casually describe the outcome of a fight where rape isn't even involved.

In addition, do not use words for the human anatomy that are deemed offensive. Do not use sexually explicit language. Use of images or gifs with the middle finger are prohibited.

As to videos with language: If there is language that is not safe for work then please put a warning before the video as NSFW.

Also, quoting threads [and posts] that exhibit breaches of site conduct rules can also be construed as breaking those rules.

So be careful what you quote, don't let another person's words get you in trouble.

If this continues on I will unfortunately have to move to temporarily banning those who repeatedly break this rule from the site. I really want to avoid this, because I know how much the RP section means to a majority of us, which is why I created this thread to try and divert from that outcome. I realize that sometimes when writing IC posts you may accidentally use one of the above words, but I suggest everyone to re-read your posts before pushing that "post reply" button. If you have any questions about certain rules please feel free to PM me (or any mod) regarding them and we will be more than happy to explain them to you as best as we can.

Annotation:

Please be aware that using just the letter 'F' as replacement for the F-word is also prohibited. Even though it's "just a letter" when used in a ways like "Get the f out of my face" or "Don't f this up" it is clear what word that letter is intended to be used for. Also using F* is not allowed as well. Do not try to make the f-word "okay" to use by simply using the letter or adding a * to it.

The_Xsoteric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Use of images or gifs with the middle finger are prohibited

I gotta laugh

Feral Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Feral Nova  Moderator

Use of images or gifs with the middle finger are prohibited

I gotta laugh

I know man lol When I looked over the rules for the first time and saw that I was like

Image result for what why gif

The_Xsoteric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL

She got you!
She got you!

Cormac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AdmiralLogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good.

Silver_Spider_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

Lmao!!!

AmyEarheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eevee approves
Eevee approves

Warpspeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gosh diddly darnit.

Avatar image for erinys_draconis
Erinys_Draconis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arquitenens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Arquitenens

Consarn it! That's everything I love most! (Well, not all of it, but like...Language and middle fingers!)

X-Rey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These rules are laughably stupid, lolz

CutthroatBitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rey_everdeen: I know, it's so sad...You can't even call me bitch anymore. v_v

X-Rey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CutthroatBitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rey_everdeen: Well I'd like to think so too but I don't know anymore!

Avatar image for deactivated-6032280486b7d
deactivated-6032280486b7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know we have no choice but to follow the language rules and I will but I gotta say, the existence of these rules is moot because if CV's staff is worried about kids visiting the site and learning this thing or that thing, I don't know what to think because if kids are already on the internet, they already know about everything these rules are trying to keep them from being exposed to. Not to mention that the majority of CV's users (as far as I'm aware of) are adults and most of this site's younger members are in their late teens. But hey, it is what it is I guess, LOL.

Arquitenens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Arquitenens

@satar: Excuse you, I was a late teen when I discovered the Internet and you all ruined me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CutthroatBitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CutthroatBitch

@satar: Speaking of you and lies, I have a question...thing, whatever. And it requires someone who knows Samurai Jack.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dawnpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems in order.

_Reynard_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feral_nova:

So I just want to know.

In addition, do not use words for the human anatomy that are deemed offensive.

Does this include the following words.

• Asshole.
  • Dick.
  • Cunt.
  • Pussy.

I'm pretty sure some of them are banned but I just want to know for sure.

Sir_Barton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Sir_Barton

@_reynard_ said:

@feral_nova:

So I just want to know.

In addition, do not use words for the human anatomy that are deemed offensive.

Does this include the following words.

• Asshole.
  • Dick.
  • Cunt.
  • Pussy.

I'm pretty sure some of them are banned but I just want to know for sure.

I also would like to know are they banned if you are using them against someone IC. For example Feel free to edit these after you answer the question if they are against the rules. Thank you very much.

• You are a cunt.
  • You asshole
  • You're a pussy
  • You're a dick
Feral Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Feral Nova  Moderator

@sir_barton: @_reynard_: yes, those are all considered offensive.

If you can't use them in Ooc forums you cannot use them for IC as well.

Avatar image for cassius_knightfall
Cassius_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dang not even censored swears. This will be interesting.

Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mother
Feral Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Feral Nova  Moderator

@mother: Wikis are actually different because they are not forum posts they are wiki pages that discribe comic book storylines, characters history and such and are handled by a different group of moderators. If you feel that these pages are going overboard on language or other issues please feel free to PM the wiki mods.

Kaede_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let me preface this by saying that I've only been on the CV forums for about 2 months, maybe 3 now, so I don't really know what issues the people here have had in the past, or what policy changes have come across over the years. This is just from my couple months' experience here.

That said, I feel like this sort of rolling rules update makes the forum really hard to participate in, especially when things aren't laid out as simply or coherently as they could be. For example, in this thread alone, we have the original post made a week ago, reminding users not to use certain language. That's perfectly fine, sometimes people need a reminder. I read that post when it went up, and made an effort to make sure I kept the words in that original post out of anything I was writing. Then, yesterday, someone asked a clarifying question about some other words that weren't included in the original post, and Feral Nova responded that those were verbatim as well - except the only reason that I know that is because I was bored this morning and clicking through all the things. If I hadn't been bored, I wouldn't have seen that because I would have felt like I already read the mod announcement, and there was no reason for me to read more - that update is really easy to miss. Also, that update includes a few words that I've used in the last week. So, it's frustrating to look at this and say "Well, that was okay a week ago, but now it isn't, but no one really came out and announced that, it's just a thing now." I think it would really be good to make sure any rules change or update is specifically flagged so that everyone sees it and there aren't any surprises.

That being said, I also feel like there needs to be some changes made to the banning policy. On one hand, we've got the initial modpost stating that users will be warned when breaking rules and banned after repeated offenses, but then we have conflicting reports of users being banned without warning. It's frustrating to see that happening if the official policy is listed as a warning first - especially in light of the fact that these rules are newly enforced, and also given everything I mentioned above, with new rules changes and updates coming out without any specific attention being drawn to them. I feel like a mod message of "Hey, you used a word you shouldn't, can you edit that?" would fix the problem a lot more easily. There's also what I see as a huge issue of the bans given being for unspecified durations. Banning a user for "a few days" could mean anything from 48 hours to a week, and the trouble is that if we don't know the exact duration, it's really hard to decide what to do in certain scenes where a banned user was a focal point of the scenario. I feel like if it were known to be, say, a 48 or 72 hour ban, people would likely wait it out, but for something that was going to be a week, other people in the scene might want to keep things moving. Having the duration unspecified is frustrating not only to the person banned, but also to anyone who happened to be writing with that person, who have not actually themselves broken any rules. I feel like this policy ends up being almost more of a punishment to the innocent than the guilty, or at least as much of one.

Mostly, I am just frustrated by the lack of clarity. Rules ought to be a contract - those wanting to use the site need to follow the rules, but the contract has to be honored in both directions. Sudden changes to rules or policies, or enforcement of rules in manners other than what was originally stated just makes things difficult for all involved, and are much more likely to result in users just being angry than being interested in fixing the behaviors called out by the rules in the first place.

I suppose I'm just concerned because I like this place. I like a lot of the RPers here, I've had a chance to play with a lot of different characters and interact with so many people, and it's tons of fun. I'm just hoping to see that continue smoothly in the future.

Feral Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Feral Nova  Moderator

@kaede_:

@kaede_:

These rules are not "updates" these rules are the actual ComicVine forum rules which have been around for at least four years. In the RPG section we have be rather laxed with the language rule, but it has never gotten to the point where a mod had to consistently warn several users on a daily bases about language even after several warnings. Hence why I am buckling down on this rule.

As for this:

yesterday, someone asked a clarifying question about some other words that weren't included in the original post, and Feral Nova responded that those were verbatim as well

Well if you read the original post it clearly states...

do not use words for the human anatomy that are deemed offensive. Do not use sexually explicit language. Use of images or gifs with the middle finger are prohibited.

Unless you've been sheltered most of your life or you are a child and have never heard the human anatomy used in offensive terms... I believe we all know what these are. If you do not, that's why I stated at the end of my post "If you have any questions about certain rules please feel free to PM me (or any mod) regarding them and we will be more than happy to explain them to you as best as we can.". I think (for the most part) that part of the rule is pretty clear? If not please tell what I can do to make it more clear.

conflicting reports of users being banned without warning.

As far as I am aware, only one person has been temporarily banned (from what I've been told) and if we're talking about the same user, that person had several warnings before being temporarily banned. There also other reasons why, which I do not have the right to disclose to other users.

I feel like a mod message of "Hey, you used a word you shouldn't, can you edit that?" would fix the problem a lot more easily.

Funny you should say that, because I have done that, several times to several users. But it continued on, hence why this thread went up. You said you've only been here a couple of months but this issue has been going on for several months. I've given warnings with links to the site rules (as I did as well in the OP of this thread), even edited posts for users myself, but when things get worse rather than better, unfortunately as a mod I have to take the next step, hence this thread.

Having the duration unspecified is frustrating not only to the person banned, but also to anyone who happened to be writing with that person, who have not actually themselves broken any rules.

As for the duration, it is unusual for a mod not to state how long a person is banned for. If that individual is on discord they can get a hold of me (Pyrogram, Joey, Warsman and a few should have my discord information) and I will be more than happy to let them know. And you're right, it is VERY frustrating! Which is why I was trying to avoid banning people all together with this thread. I don't want' to do that to users because I know how frustrating it is. I've been in a situation when a friend is temporarily banned and you're stuck waiting for them for days, weeks or sometimes even a month. But if rules a broken, then there has to be repercussions. We can't, not ban someone just because they're in an RP. IF anything maybe they'll realize they should have followed the rules they agreed and listen to the warnings?

Sudden changes to rules or policies, or enforcement of rules in manners other than what was originally stated just makes things difficult for all involved, and are much more likely to result in users just being angry than being interested in fixing the behaviors called out by the rules in the first place.

As stated, before, there were no changes what so ever to the rules. I didn't edit these rules, I didn't add on any rules. These are all rules that have been around for several years (longer than some people have been here) and by signing up and posting on the site all users agree to these rules. Mods are consistently warning and temporarily banning (even permanently banning) people who continually breaking this rule (and of course all other rules).

I'm sorry you (and other users) feel frustrated by the enforcement of the site rules and I apologize if your RP has been placed on hold because another user broke the rules. I didn't post this thread to anger anyone or to make things difficult for anyone. But when you see things steadily declining for several months even after warnings, as a mod I unfortunately have to become "the bad guy" and enforce rules even if it means friends end up being temporarily banned.

Kaede_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay. A lot of those points are fair, especially the one about "parts of anatomy" and reflection of the update. I hadn't really been thinking about it, but on thinking about it, the updates were pretty well covered by that, so I was wrong about that, and I apologize for not thinking that through as well as I should have.

I'm also willing to believe that there have been warnings given if you say so, but I think maybe part of the problem there is that warnings are kind of invisible here - like, I presume the person being warned gets a message about it, but no one else does. Some of the forums I've been on in the past have had policies where if a post is warned, that is displayed prominently - so it'll say something like "Warned for breaking <rule>" and everyone who is scrolling through the thread will notice that. CV doesn't seem to have that feature, and since mods can't be everywhere at once, there are definitely some things sliding under the radar - so if you've got 2 people using the same inappropriate word, one might get flagged and warned and the other might not. Then take a third person reading through the threads - they don't see the warning, they just see the person who wasn't reported and there's a strong tendency to figure "this is probably okay." Then the problem snowballs out of control, which I think is what was happening leading up to this announcement. So, I don't know if it's possible for a mod to slide a ninja edit into a warned post, maybe just leave the text, slap a <text removed> in place of any offensive language, and tag the bottom with something like "This post was warned for breaking the rules about offensive language." Then people who are reading the threads will see that warning and it'll be a lot more clear that the rules are being enforced, and bans won't seem like they're coming out of nowhere.

Arquitenens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Arquitenens

Aww, I was hoping we'd at least get to keep [bumhole].

Feral Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Feral Nova  Moderator

@kaede_:

I have given warnings in threads before, but began to assume people didn't see them because they were seldom acknowledged and/or wouldn't edit their post. So I began sending PMs and I get better responses through that as it seems more "official" than just a @ in a thread. I usually don't count the first warning when approaching a person, I give them a free pass because I understand we all break a rule eventually. If I have to warn someone more than once on the same rule, then it begins being recorded for other mods to be aware too. But I do see what you're saying. If others can see the warning then maybe it'll help. It'll be double the amount of work for me, but if it means it'll help users know whats ok and what's not ok (even though we should have all read the rules) then I'll be more than happy to publicly warn people. Maybe edit the smaller posts (because I hate delete entire large RP posts that people work on for hours at a time) with something like "This post has been deleted for offensive language" or whatever the broken rule is.

ThePuzzler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy swizzle sticks. Darn flippin' rules are getting heckin' tight these days.

Arquitenens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for demonboundsitri
demonboundSitri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feral_nova:

Hey, sorry to bother you, but when you have a moment, could I get a ruling on badass, please? I'm on the fence about it, because on the one hand, it contains a curse, but on the other, it's more complimentary than detrimental. I'm gonna leave it out of the post I'm working on at the moment just to err on the side of caution, but I'd like to know for future reference. Thanks!

Feral Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Feral Nova  Moderator

@demonboundsitri: The rules state...

"do not use words for the human anatomy that are deemed offensive."

badass isn't a banned word and it's not deemed offensive. I say go for it.

Thanks for asking!

Avatar image for demonboundsitri
demonboundSitri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome, I was worried about the "ass" part, so I figured I'd check in. Sounds like I don't need to worry about that one. Thank you so much for the quick response!

Felix_Faraday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well then, I guess I'll just have to make my own insults. With animals and sweets!

Something like: "You goddamn fudge-wombat."

SharkToasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SharkToasty

Who needs realistic dialogue when vivid descriptions of gory death aren't prohibited.

Turn up the gosh darn violence!

Honestly though at this point I'd want to ask if I can throw an 18+ warning on the end of one of my own location threads and call it exempt from these language rules. Enter at your own risk and whatnot, cause this is kinda ridiculous. I mean, I get it, but it seems kind of strange for a role playing forum to have restrictions that impact immersion in such a major way. As long as it's handled maturely I don't see any reason for a character who would believably swear to use some PG alternative for the sake of protecting other peoples' eyes against the harshness of spoiler warnings.

_Gaige_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sharktoasty: If I had to guess I'd say no. It doesn't matter if ya say "this threads gona have bad words" rules just say don't have them. As frustrating as it may be we just have to stick with it being implied or just not there. I'm not a fan of it myself but rules is rules

SharkToasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_gaige_: Fair enough, I guess. I suppose if I really was so opposed to the language rule I could take myself to an alien community to RP about completely different things with all new characters in all new places with (in my experience, fairly hostile) people I don't know or go start my own community to RP with myself like some kind of pervert.

Ninjaboss123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ninjaboss123

@feral_nova: I understand why that swearing and saying those words could be deemed offensive, But what about

• Goddamn
  • Bastard

In the words that I posted I do believe that the first one could be offensive to some people. And that the second one could be offensive as well. Even if I may fall into a category that could consider the words offensive I don't and do use those words. (But cursing is a bad habit to anyone reading this hehe.) I was just wondering.

Feral Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Feral Nova  Moderator

@ninjaboss123: Those fist two words are fine

and honestly, I would avoid using that word in general, even through censorship.

Ninjaboss123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feral Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Feral Nova  Moderator

Hey everyone, because an issue with one of the ban words keeps coming up, I've added an annotation regarding it to clear things up for everyone so we can continue to avoid further issues. Thanks everyone!