• 56 results
ACTION6NEWS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ACTION6NEWS

Good evening, everyone! This is George Kelmer with Action Six News! In tonight's program...

Purpose of Thread / Interactivity / Rules

Purpose:

The purpose of this thread is to cover notable, news-worthy events on the Vine through the lens of a highly biased, anti-mutant/meta news organization. In the future, a more neutral news source, "The Daily Dove" (Dover City's local paper) may be used to present other news, or simply frame the news in a more balanced light.

Interactivity:

• If you would like an interview, please message me!
  • If you think of a newsworthy event for me to cover, please message me! (Keep in mind that the event must be public knowledge, in our universe/galaxy, etc.)
  • If you would like to invite one of our correspondents to one of your events, please message me!
  • If you see a problem that needs correcting, please message me!
  • If you think would like a news report/interview purged from our records, please message me!
  • If you would like to attack/kill our staff, first of all, please reconsider! If you have considered it again and elect to continue your attack, security is comprised of pure chumps, so feel free!*
  • If you would like to destroy our facilities, feel free!*

*Note: Excessive murder and destruction are frowned upon. For example: If you kill the staff, and then the replacements, every day for a week I may elect to ignore your attacks. Once is an RP, twice is your character proving a point, any more than that and it interferes with the function of this organization. So, while you are free to attack and kill, I would ask that you consider the functionality of this thread as you do!

If there are any other questions or concerns, feel free to contact me on this account or on:

@ironphantom:

@the_catalyst:

Rule

Be considerate of others.

Meet the Staff!

George Kelmer - Co-Anchor
George Kelmer - Co-Anchor
Linda Fox - Co-Anchor
Linda Fox - Co-Anchor
Donnie Jules - Weatherman
Donnie Jules - Weatherman
Tony Danderman - Action Chopper 6 Traffic Reporter
Tony Danderman - Action Chopper 6 Traffic Reporter
Rebecca Long - Field Correspondent
Rebecca Long - Field Correspondent

Gubernatorial Race: Rose O'Malley v Greg Dorian/HFF Endorsement

This is Action Six News with your host George Kelmer. Tonight's debate between Governor Rose O'Malley and contender Greg Dorian promises to be a memorable one. The main topic up for debate? Mutant "rights", and their recent "acceptance" by polite society. Governor O'Malley claims that the repeal of the Meta-Human Registration Act had resulted in a freer, safer America, while her contender Greg Dorian, suggests that the exact opposite is true. He claims that having "walking nukes with feelings" running about unannounced puts everyone, especially those least able to defend themselves, at great risk.

What do you think Linda?

Well George, as you know I have two beautiful, wonderful girls at home, and I'm just worried that one of these days one of their "classmates", perhaps an unidentified, uncontrolled mutant, will finally explode.

That is a scary thought Linda.

Isn't it? Children are not exactly known for their self-control. One kickball loss and some children might not make it home. I'm scared for them every day. I've bought them games and movies, anything to keep them from leaving the house. How does this constant fear of unregistered mutants make me or my family free?

Wow. Something to think about. Stay tuned, Delaware, next up is Donnie Jules with this weekend's forecast! Something tells me we are in for one HOT Summer. Stay tuned.

Venezuela...

No Caption Provided

Gothic City...

No Caption Provided

Grimm...

No Caption Provided

The list goes on and on. How long can we allow mutants and meta-humans to dictate the condition of our world? Of our lives, or those of our families?

No Caption Provided

How long will we entrust peace to the whims of a few men with inhuman power?

How long will we consent to be at their mercy? To live on borrowed time, on the time that THEY allow? How long until we start to protect ourselves from tragedy, rather than mourn after?

No Caption Provided

Greg Dorian knows that this issue is one that concerns all citizens, and he is intent on setting things right once more by reinstating former president Tony Stark's Meta-Human Registration Act in the state of Delaware. Vote for safety. Vote for peace of mind.Vote Greg Dorian for governor.

No Caption Provided

I am former senator Greg Dorian, and I approve this message.

*This has been a paid advertisement by the Humans First Foundation.

NEW!!!

QUINTUPLE STUFFED SCOREOS!

No Caption Provided

Now with more basketball flavor in every bite! Buy now and...

Interview with DSA Director Sarah Jones

Wow, what a game! You're back with Action 6 News, the only news that takes you right into the action! I'm George Kelmer, your host for tonight.

Here with me in the studio tonight is Department of Superhuman Affairs Director Sarah Jones! Ms. Jones, it is an honor and a pleasure. We're so happy you're here.

Now, what our viewers want to know is, why did the Department of Superhuman affairs scale down in light of recent events? Is it not true that meta-human activity has actually increased in recent years, what with the events in Grimm err-- I mean Valor City, Gothic, and even outside our borders, in Venezuela and Solace City? It seems to me, and many of our viewers, that if anything the DSA should be increasing its presence, considering how turbulent and unsure our times appear to be.

Kelmer took care to make his face appear completely flat, to nod when appropriate, to feign concern and understanding when needed. These were simple enough inquiries, but they were also prods, meant to guide the conversation where he wished it to go.

Here's something that just came in off of our Twitter page (isn't technology grand?), MrBipperBobbins asks: "Why is it that so many mutants are attacking regular people, yet so many positions of power in the DSA belong to mutants? Aren't they worried they might be too easy on their fellow mutants?" An interesting question for certain, and one we've heard quite a bit ever since your department was founded. Would you care to comment?

Oh, wait, I'm being told there's actually more. Apparently MrBipperBobbins goes on to ask "Why is it that so many of these mutants are actually offered jobs, working for the US government, rather than simply being observed? Is that not a type of government handout designed to subsidize life as a mutant?" Another good question from Mr. Bobbins. Director?

Would you care to comment?
Would you care to comment?

Sarah Jones (Sarah_and_Lara)

Wow, what a game! You're back with Action 6 News, the only news that takes you right into the action! I'm George Kelmer, your host for tonight.

Here with me in the studio tonight is Department of Superhuman Affairs Director Sarah Jones! Ms. Jones, it is an honor and a pleasure. We're so happy you're here.

Sarah smiles politely as she is welcomed here, "Thank you, I'm glad to be here." She doesn't show it, but she's nervous. She has no idea how this is going to go. Will she end up looking bad? Will she look good? Who knows. It all depends on how well she can answer some deep questions she is expecting. The media needs to know, the people do too. No doubt, people have questions. Which is why Sarah is even here.

Now, what our viewers want to know is, why did the Department of Superhuman affairs scale down in light of recent events? Is it not true that meta-human activity has actually increased in recent years, what with the events in Grimm err-- I mean Valor City, Gothic, and even outside our borders, in Venezuela and Solace City? It seems to me, and many of our viewers, that if anything the DSA should be increasing its presence, considering how turbulent and unsure our times appear to be.

Sarah is not one to water down the truth, not in this case. The people deserve to know the current state of affairs. So, she decides to answer honestly, "That's a very good point and also fair to ask. Where was the DSA during the Valor City crisis, where were we in Gothic City and why didn't we prevent Solace City from being taken over by a terrorist? Our viewers have already asked these questions in our newspapers and those are very fair questions. That is why I am here now. I'm not going to shy away from the truth. As the Director of the DSA, I failed the America people because I should have had the DSA be there in those cities to meet the crisis occurring within. But I was not. There is no answer I can give that will satisfy anyone. I failed, not the DSA, and that's on me. However, during the recent crisis in Metro City, the DSA defended it's home. We managed to avert a crisis. So, because of that, the DSA has been scaled down to protect the city we call home and the only city we have managed to protect since it's obvious we're doing such a poor job protecting others. The world needs better protectors and, I am sad to say, the DSA isn't it."

Here's something that just came in off of our Twitter page (isn't technology grand?), MrBipperBobbins asks: "Why is it that so many mutants are attacking regular people, yet so many positions of power in the DSA belong to mutants? Aren't they worried they might be too easy on their fellow mutants?" An interesting question for certain, and one we've heard quite a bit ever since your department was founded. Would you care to comment?

Oh, wait, I'm being told there's actually more. Apparently MrBipperBobbins goes on to ask "Why is it that so many of these mutants are actually offered jobs, working for the US government, rather than simply being observed? Is that not a type of government handout designed to subsidize life as a mutant?" Another good question from Mr. Bobbins. Director?

Sarah is about to speak when he asks if she cares to comment but there's more. So, she waits patiently and then decides to answer the question someone asked from Twitter, "Those are very good questions and I hope I can clarify them for you. The mutants that work for the DSA view their jobs the same way a police officer does. If they find a mutant breaking the law, they aren't afraid to bring that mutant in. Mutants are people too, I believe that and that is why so many mutants have positions within this organization. But just as with everyone else, there are mutant criminals and the DSA will arrest them regardless if they are mutant, alien, cyborg or otherwise. They break the law, we will take them in."

Then Sarah answers the next few questions, "The reason why we offer mutants jobs is, as I stated a bit earlier, mutants are people too and they need jobs just as you or I do. Just because they are born different, doesn't mean they shouldn't have the same rights. I may be human myself, I'm not a mutant. But when I look back on our history, I see racism and prejudiced people made issues about skin color, about women and now it's about mutants. When will this all end? Yes, Mutants are dangerous. They can, and have, used their powers for nefarious purposes. But so do humans. Humans like me don't have powers, but give us a gun, a bomb, resources, and we can be almost as dangerous. While the DSA does monitor mutant activity, and others with extraordinary power, we also wish to offer these people a job. A chance to benefit society instead of damaging it."

Kelmer:

Patience. That's the name of the game.

That's a very good point and also fair to ask. Where was the DSA during the Valor City crisis, where were we in Gothic City and why didn't we prevent Solace City from being taken over by a terrorist? Our viewers have already asked these questions in our newspapers and those are very fair questions. That is why I am here now. I'm not going to shy away from the truth. As the Director of the DSA, I failed the America people because I should have had the DSA be there in those cities to meet the crisis occurring within. But I was not. There is no answer I can give that will satisfy anyone. I failed, not the DSA, and that's on me. However, during the recent crisis in Metro City, the DSA defended it's home. We managed to avert a crisis. So, because of that, the DSA has been scaled down to protect the city we call home and the only city we have managed to protect since it's obvious we're doing such a poor job protecting others. The world needs better protectors and, I am sad to say, the DSA isn't it."

And we would very much like to thank the DSA for its attempts at protecting the people of Delaware, of course. A furrowed brow, a well practiced look of sincerity, of empathy.

"Those are very good questions and I hope I can clarify them for you. The mutants that work for the DSA view their jobs the same way a police officer does. If they find a mutant breaking the law, they aren't afraid to bring that mutant in. Mutants are people too, I believe that and that is why so many mutants have positions within this organization. But just as with everyone else, there are mutant criminals and the DSA will arrest them regardless if they are mutant, alien, cyborg or otherwise. They break the law, we will take them in."

George Kelmer nodded and, on occasion, even smiled a thin, but patient, smile. He seemed to ponder her statements, hands folded neatly in front of him, until finally he felt he had heard enough and felt he needed to "clarify".

Oh, hold on there, Ms. Jones. Now, as I understand it, what you're describing here, that mutant-kind are "just like us", I think that that requires a little bit of nuance, don't you? People-- normal people, mind you-- we share a few experiences, certainly, but for mutant-Americans there are many more potent, shared experiences. Surely you would not deny that there is a culture of ill-treatment toward mutants in many parts of the country, perhaps, to some small degree, even here? Surely you don't mean to deny the bonding experience of shared suffering, do you? Kelmer seemed oddly proud, almost gloating, as he feigned a look of speculative curiosity. It was restrained, certainly, but just as certainly, it was there. Sarah Jones could simply sense it in the air around him, in the somewhat disbelieving, somewhat smug furrow of his brow, the look of incredulity mixed in there with the questioning curiosity as he shook his head almost imperceptibly.

The reason why we offer mutants jobs is, as I stated a bit earlier, mutants are people too and they need jobs just as you or I do. Just because they are born different, doesn't mean they shouldn't have the same rights. I may be human myself, I'm not a mutant. But when I look back on our history, I see racism and prejudiced people made issues about skin color, about women and now it's about mutants. When will this all end? Yes, Mutants are dangerous. They can, and have, used their powers for nefarious purposes. But so do humans. Humans like me don't have powers, but give us a gun, a bomb, resources, and we can be almost as dangerous. While the DSA does monitor mutant activity, and others with extraordinary power, we also wish to offer these people a job. A chance to benefit society instead of damaging it."

Again, Kelmer interrupted. He threw up his hands as through surrendering, but instead pressed forward.

Whoa! Hold on now Ms. Jones! Now no one is suggesting that mutants do not have rights or that they do not deserve the chance to make a living. In fact, I am sure that many people, myself included, are glad that your organization has managed to corral so many mutants into a place where they can do some actual good in the world. The only nitpick I believe our viewer here may have is that mutants seem to obtain these "jobs" purely by grounds of the "talent" (as many call it) that they areborn with. Does that not seem to you to be an unfair system that benefits, almost exclusively, people who have a trait that they cannot choose to have? I mean, who among us would not take the powers of Superion, or Thee Champion, or any other mutant or meta-human if given the chance? I believe the gripe that our viewers are presenting is that it is unfair to hire mutants based solely on the fact that they are mutants.Understandably, you are hesitant to permit a human to attempt this type of work, but I assure you that with the right technology (such as that of Avalon, or perhaps a requisition of Maverick's old arsenal, or even some of the technology now flowing out of mutant-controlledVenezuela) a human can present plenty of challenge for a mutant, so why not hire us on? You said it yourself, we're plenty dangerous, and so, plenty capable, with bombs and weapons.

And by the way, you brought up another very interesting point. You claim that mutants "have the same rights", but is that really true? In the same breath you said you also "monitor mutant activity", and this seems to imply, to me at least, a form of active surveillance not condoned with "normal" Americans. Is that correct? AT what point does your job end? What is private, and would the Meta-Human Registration Act, which makes all of this public knowledge, not be preferable to what some people are calling the"secret police" program that they accuse the DSA of being? At that moment, before she could respond, Kelmer glanced down at an ornate gold and platinum watch on his wrist. And we'll get to Sarah Jones' responses right after these messages. Stay tuned.

A smug smile crossed his face as he breathed a long, drawn out sigh. Thanks for coming by, by the way. You have no idea how hard it is to book guests from Metro-City in a little town like this. He clasped his hands together, seemingly amicable, but she could still sense the cold disdain radiating from the stiffness of his shoulders, from the way the smile did not touch his eyes.

Commercial Break

In a world of increasing uncertainty and risk, where anyone could be stronger, faster, and tougher than should be humanly possible, there is only one person who can protect your family.

No Caption Provided
You.
You.
No Caption Provided

Protect yourself. Protect your home. Protect your family.

With new, Stag-Eye Security four gauge shotgun shells, now available at all major hunting and fishing retail stores.

Sarah Jones:

Sarah hides her own smugness, but keeps it well hidden. She knows she is getting to this guy a little bit. She can tell. But it's obvious by now that this man is trying to discredit mutants and possibly the DSA. She wouldn't even be here if it hand't been for Monica Waller ordering her to be here. During the commercial break, Sarah takes a drink of water. Before the commercial ends and they are back on the air, Sarah hears him addressing her.

A smug smile crossed his face as he breathed a long, drawn out sigh. Thanks for coming by, by the way. You have no idea how hard it is to book guests from Metro-City in a little town like this. He clasped his hands together, seemingly amicable, but she could still sense the cold disdain radiating from the stiffness of his shoulders, from the way the smile did not touch his eyes.

Sarah gives yet another of those pleasant smiles, silently thinking to herself, Boy, I wonder why? But she already knows the answer to that question. "Your welcome. Might I suggest you try and book Maxine Maxima next time? I think you'd like her." Sarah doesn't get the chance to speak much more when they are back.

Oh, hold on there, Ms. Jones. Now, as I understand it, what you're describing here, that mutant-kind are "just like us", I think that that requires a little bit of nuance, don't you? People-- normal people, mind you-- we share a few experiences, certainly, but for mutant-Americans there are many more potent, shared experiences. Surely you would not deny that there is a culture of ill-treatment toward mutants in many parts of the country, perhaps, to some small degree, even here? Surely you don't mean to deny the bonding experience of shared suffering, do you?

Once more, Sarah smiles. She knows the man has that air of smugness about him. Like he's proud of something, even almost gloating. After quickly saying what he said to her, including his question, she says in response, "Oh there's plenty of that, I don't deny it." But before the man can interrupt, Sarah continues as quickly as she can, "But even you cannot deny there has been a needless amount of fear, racism and prejudiced people who look at a mutant and fear the unknown simply because they are different? The DSA seeks to help them find a better path in life rather then give society an excuse to hate them. Isn't that a good thing?"

Sarah gives him a subtle look, a questioning look as if to ask, Would you deny them a chance to be better?

If Sarah has to sit here and be uncomfortable, she's going to do her best to this guy. Now to address the next thing.

Understandably, you are hesitant to permit a human to attempt this type of work, but I assure you that with the right technology (such as that of Avalon, or perhaps a requisition of Maverick's old arsenal, or even some of the technology now flowing out of mutant-controlledVenezuela) a human can present plenty of challenge for a mutant, so why not hire us on? You said it yourself, we're plenty dangerous, and so, plenty capable, with bombs and weapons.

"I'm glad you brought that up. We do hire people who have no powers. We have people wearing power armor and wield fantastic levels of technology to meet a super powered threat. I will make an effort to hire more men and women like that. Please know, that hiring a mutant or meta-human with a specific talent is simply to fight super-human crime more effectively, much the same way as other agencies would hire a cryptographer to decode messages instead of an archaeologist." And that's all she says about that, provided she isn't interrupted first.

Now to address the final point and questions the man man made.

And by the way, you brought up another very interesting point. You claim that mutants "have the same rights", but is that really true? In the same breath you said you also "monitor mutant activity", and this seems to imply, to me at least, a form of active surveillance not condoned with "normal" Americans. Is that correct? AT what point does your job end? What is private, and would the Meta-Human Registration Act, which makes all of this public knowledge, not be preferable to what some people are calling the"secret police" program that they accuse the DSA of being?

"If Hitler were still alive, wouldn't you monitor him? Why? Because he's a criminal. We monitor criminals who wield dangerous powers in order to keep America, now Metro City, safe. If we didn't do that, then we'd fail at our jobs." Sarah knows a lot of Americans will see it the same way, but there are lot of Americans who won't. It's a polarizing debate. Security over freedom, privacy over being safe. It's a hard issue to deal with and there is no easy answer.

At the next commercial break, Sarah rises from her seat and offers to shake his hand, "Thanks for having me here, but I have to go."

Kelmer:

The conversation had not gone as planned, and Sarah Jones had actually deflated a lot of their claims of bias in hiring. It was a dangerous gambit, they knew when they broached the subject. She could easily bring up the facts and figures on the matter, and that she did. They do hire normal people, they do provide the technology to combat metas, they will make an effort to hire more of those people based on the public's concerns, and the mutants were hired to take advantage of special skills (as opposed to implication that they hired them wholesale, an underlying accusation he would have preferred to maintain intact throughout the interview.

His smile grew ever more tense. He simply nodded and kept his mouth shut, preferring to let her speak until the end to address her points. Then she rolled into overtime, and the crew signaled for a break. He'd lost his chance. Well, he'd get her after the--

"Thanks for having me here, but I have to go."

break. He'd lost it. Lost control of the message. He fumed, the skin around his neck taking on a reddish tint. Still he smiled his terse, thin little smile.

Completely understandable. I realize there is only so much time a person such as yourself has for interviews like these. Thank you again for your time and for your work as a DSA agent and patriot.

Then it was back to business as usual.

Except she got the last word on you, George-y boy. Made a mess of things. Made you look like a preening simpleton. She sicced the cat on your tongue, and you let her get a hold of it too long. Stupid.

Business as usual. A breath, make-up, a drink of water, and action.

Up next, terror in piggy paradise. How tourists are unintentionally killing these swimming pigs in the Bahamas, and what you need to know to avoid doing the same.

Public Safety: Heroes, Rubbernecking, and You!

Let's go to Tony Danderman in Action Chopper Six! How're things looking out there, Tony?

Well George, traffic down the 13 has literally stopped as construction continues. We recommend transferring onto the 15 and then transferring back onto the 13 past the construction site near Carpenter Bridge. Aside from that there is some light traffic on the 1 going North from Dover to Metro City, as it seems yet another traffic collision has been caused by lookie-loos trying to keep an eye on some of Metro City's flashier, high-flying heroes. Just a friendly reminder, folks, rubbernecking leads to accidents, and it can be construed as distracted driving, which is illegal in the state of Delaware. Stay safe out there folks, and keep your eyes on the road! Back to you in the studio, George!

Thank you for that, Tony. That actually brings us to a related report: Are superheroes actually causingtraffic collisions? A study recently published by the National Traffic and Highway Administration seems to suggest so. In cities where prominent superheroes take up residence, there has been shown to be, on average, a 3% increase in traffic collisions for every "major event" in which a hero takes part. This number actually increases to a whopping 5% if the hero has the ability to take flight, and 10% if they have an ability that allows them to "drastically increase their size or otherwise appear prominently in such a way as to take up 15% or more of a driver's viewing area". This study did not differentiate between so called "villains" or the "heroes" that combat them, but one thing has been made sufficiently clear. If you find yourself too distracted by one of these superhero punch-ups, you should do yourself and your fellow drivers a favor: pull over, watch the melee, then get back on the road.

(Wo)man on the Street Interviews Pt. 1 -- Rebecca Long [Interaction Pending]

Slow going.

You don't know the half of it, Glost.

Still know more than you do, Herric. Donovan Glost, president of the HFF, smirked his patented, unbearably smug smirk, and lowered the still steaming tea onto the dainty little saucer Mitchell Herric had provided, swiping his long, platinum blonde hair out of his eyes as he did so. The tea was weak, and a weak chamomile to boot. Simply undrinkable.

We've been hemorrhaging funds since the Registration Act was repealed. There doesn't look to be much hope of garnering much action in the coming election either. Dorian is losing the youth vote thanks to all the hip, young metas running around. The positive spin on the hero angle is insane right now. Every John, Jim and Mary knows somebody who was saved by some mask or another. He's down 12 points in the polls among adults 18-25. He's a dead fish, Don.

Donovan Glost seemed entirely unphased by the pessimistic predictions of his associate, lifted the cup of tea to his lips once more before he catching whiff of the weak tincture within and, remembering his disappointment, lowers it gingerly onto the saucer once more, shaking his head as he does so.

Tut, tut, tut, Herric. Haven't you learned to trust me yet? The campaign hasn't even started in earnest yet. Just trust me. He smiles gingerly at his comrade, pityingly, almost. The man has no imagination AND no taste in tea. Such a shame.

Don't you know, Herric? Donovan Glost always has a plan.

Downtown Dover City, Delaware

Spotted her. Yes I'm sure. What do you take me for, an amateur? Uh huh. No. Yeah. Orangish hair, hairclip always on the right side, five foot five-ish, looks like a middle-schooler, sparks shooting up sometimes. Yeah. IT's HER! Gee-Frickin'-US! YES! Look, you tell Glost to shove it. If I wanted somebody micromanaging my ass and second-guessing every move I make I would have stayed at home with my wife.

Yeah. Yeah our volunteers are here. Of course they're fitted with the devices. No, no. Told 'em it'd be a minor shock. Like a taser. Yeah. In position too. Shouldn't be a problem, nearest patrol car's gotta be a mile away. We'll be first on for sure. Yeah. Yep. Oh, it's gonna be a hell of a show. Yeah, ha ha ha, yeah... I gotta give it to 'im, Donny's a pain the ass, but he's got a hulluvan imagination. This oughta be fun...

Rebecca Long stands at a busy street corner, microphone in hand, waiting for the cue from her cameraman/director/boyfriend/maybe soon-to-be ex-boyfriend.

What do you mean, Marcus? How am I supposed to "look cheerful, but respectable and serious"? You mean I don't look respectable right now? And why are we out here anyway?

Marcus shook his head. She knew perfectly well why, but she never tired of making her point. Wellthe debates are on in a couple of hours. When else are we supposed to take a litmus test of the public's opinion on mutants and metas?

Ugh. But it's so hot, and I was supposed to be in the commentator's booth by 7! I've got a master's in Journalism AND poli-sci. I swear they're always wasting me on this fluff stuff when I could be doing some real work...

Marcus Stain knew she was right. She was a smart woman, capable, personable (when she wanted to be), stunningly beautiful, and as quick witted as they came. It was why the lump in his throat had begun to form. He didn't want her to be involved in this. He'd begged Herric and the rest to choose somebody else, but she was pretty. She was personable. She was smart, and capable, and quick witted...

And losing her would be a tragedy for the community. He knew that. He just wished it wasn't her.

Rebecca sighed to herself and focused on taking the outside perspective, like she always told herself to. Did she get what she wanted? Maybe not, but by being out in the field without complaint (assuming Mark kept his trap shut about her complaining) she would show how versatile and willing to adapt she could be. So what if they had her doing "man-on-the-street" interviews? She was more than equipped for those, and beyond that, this was still her name on the job. She could either pout and scream (and possibly never be trusted by channel 6 again) or put her name on it, own it, and really make the best of the situation.

Well, I'm no quitter... and I am the best there is in front of a camera...

Alright, fine. I'll take this one, but you owe me dinner for this Mark.

Yeah, sure, anything. Let's just get this done.

Marcus lifted his camera and began filming, the dread rising in his gut.

Ok, the older people first. You now, a proper sample.

So who are you supporting in the election next month, sir?

Oh, I don't know, probably ol' Rosey O'Malley. We old farts gotta stick together you know? Heh heh heh....

And you ma'am, what do you think about Mr. Dorian's proposal to reinstate the Registration Act?

Well the way I see it...

Finally Marcus spotted her. The one they were looking for. She was just as they described, maybe a little cuter than he expected a mud-gene to be. She was a short little squirt, a little like his kid sister...

His stomach turned while he stared, paralyzed by the idea of what he was now supposed to set in motion. She walked along, seemingly carefree, or maybe taking care to project that sort of air about her. Either way, she had to be ignorant of what was about to happen, walking along ignorant while he contemplated doing the unthinkable: destroying what little peace she still had left in her life.

Maybe it's not her. It can't be. She's just a regular girl...

But the parted hair, the oddly orange tint blazing throughout, gave her away. It was her. He knew it was, which meant he had no choice but to follow through.

His stomach churned and squeezed, his throat tightened into a wiry knot. The reality of what was about to happen, of what he was about to do, finally began to settle in his mind. Distressed as he was, he still managed to choke out his last allotted line.

What about... her, the-- the kid He choked on the word.

Rebecca looked up, annoyed that he would even suggest a child. She was a real reporter, a political correspondent, why would she be giving out Nickelodeon style, "Kid's Choice Award" interviews?

Her? Why would I interview her? She's not even of voting age. She can't be more than 13. What do you expect me to do, slime the girl if she gets the question wrong?

Well, first of all, she's cute, and that's good for ratings. Plus, it's important to involve the next generation, and all that. You know... he wanted to continue, but suddenly his throat was sandpaper and glass.

Oh God, Becca is gonna notice. There's no way this slips by her... She's too perceptive, too smart, too kind, too feeling a person to not notice me screwing this up...

And notice she did. But Rebecca Long, for her part, did not act on what she observed. She had always prided herself on her laser focus, and when her mind was made up on doing the random, catch-as-catch can interviews, she had decided to devote her full attention there. If Marcus had something bothering him, he would have to wait until after the interviews were done.

That's true... good ratings... huh? Yeah. It might be interesting to see what the kids think of all this, but I kind of doubt she'll even know what we're talking about. When I was young I was more concerned about what Nancy Drew was up to rather than who Anthony Stark was and what, or who, he was doing...

But it's worth a shot.

Yeah... it's worth a shot. And you're right. She is adorable. She'll make for great TV. C'mon then!

Yeah...

Rebecca Long, age 22, sauntered over to the young girl she saw non-chalantly walking the streets of Dover. With a bright smile (and in an exaggeratedly cheerful voice) she asked the stock question she'd been asking all day.

"Hi there, I'm Rebecca Long with Action 6 News. We're out here today doing interviews, trying to get a feel for what people think about gubernatorial candidate Gregory Dorian's proposal to reinstate the Meta-Human Registration Act in Delaware. Do you know who that is, and what that act does?"

Long smiled invitingly, coaxing the girl into the interview while simultaneously blocking her current path, adjusting her angle to allow the camera to capture the best light to frame both her and her guest. Oddly enough, it made Marcus love her even more. That she could be so attentive, so accommodating, so thorough in everything she did... the way she smiled, the mischievous twinkle in her eye when she thought she had the girl stumped...

He bit his lip and choked back a gasping sob, for once glad that his face was hidden away by the heavy camera equipment.

Soliton

Delaware was a woodsier state than what she was used to. Lack of noise became almost unsettling in the face of familiar hustle and bustle a city brought. Wasn't really hard to keep your head down when you were so short and looked like you had some semblance of an idea where you were going. Use a little common sense, stay out of those pesky alleyways and even so, one small zap was enough to ward off your run of the mill pest. She could at least do that without blowing up a parking lot. Heck, she could even make a bit of money off it, being a free generator and all. So long as she stayed calm.

"Uhm." The initially word or more accurately, noise she made as the onslaught of merciless inquiry had begun.

Seemed easier said than done. All semblance of composure went away when a nicely dressed, pretty woman appeared in front of her with cameraman not too far behind, little doubt in her mind that he's zooming in on her dirty face. Thoughts raced through her head, only a small amount of them concerned with what the woman was asking. Things ranging from “how do I look” to “Who's tracking this?”Suddenly she felt like she'd be totally more comfortable getting mugged right now, and if not for the power inhibiting Bracelet she wore, she would probably be sparking a bit ad her mind raced.

Words. Something outside of herself. The woman asked her something that she had strong sentiments. And suddenly, her scatter beamed brain focused into a diamond cutting laser. She didn't carefully assemble her words as more so, she seemed to know what she wanted to say.

“.....That sounds stupid.”

Though that wasn't the best thing to say. But there was no taking it back.

“I mean I don't think Mr. Dorian's stupid. Uh. I…” She studdered. “I don't uh, know who the man is really. But the way it sounds, he seems like he's trying to bring in back a law that made the government…kinda like the Nazis. Rounding people up. Putting people into camps. It made the government into….bad guys.”

She sways idly, unable to keep still as she clasps her eyes. She fumbles for something to look at and then her eyes return sharply to the camera.

“I don't think registering in itself is a bad thing. But only if it is meant to help people like me.”

She takes off her bracelet and her hand gives a little spark. Or at least, that was what she intended. What actually came out was more than a small spark, if not due to her anxiety and even a bit of anger at the initial subect.

No Caption Provided

“…Not imprison them or turn them into weapons.’

She puts the bracelet back down, aversive of a few of the gazes she caught in even that minor display.

I have a bad feeling about this. Either this is gonna be really good or really bad.

Rebecca Long

Rebecca Long smirked, and then expanded her lips into another too-bright, made for TV smile. Well, at least the kid's honest. No filter either, she'll probably be a real hit with the audience no matter what she says.

“I mean I don't think Mr. Dorian's stupid. Uh. I…” She studdered. “I don't uh, know who the man is really. But the way it sounds, he seems like he's trying to bring in back a law that made the government…kinda like the Nazis. Rounding people up. Putting people into camps. It made the government into….bad guys.

...Not imprison them or turn them into weapons.”

The girl in front of her surged with electricity, the smell of ozone suddenly coloring the situation with a distinct hint of danger. Long was taken aback, stupefied temporarily by the big reveal even she did not suspect. Marcus was not nearly so caught off guard. With a near imperceptible nod of his head, he signaled to the men and women behind Amani, who began to close in around the interviewer and interviewee.

"Well, that certainly was... surprising! I can see why you would have such a strong opinion on what's sure to be a very chargeddebate tonight! Ha ha...heh..." Rebecca laughed nervously, brushing back some of the hair that had begun to stand on end in the brief, miniaturized storm.

Suddenly, a soft humming began to sound all around the pair, the sound of a dozen improvised electrical charges gathering power. Soon they would deliver a payload far greater than their owners had assumed, over 3,00,000 volts were to be delivered in an amperage that was sure to be fatal, for far longer than it would require to send the human heart into cardiac arrest, longer than needed to put a stop to the action of the lungs.

Marcus closed his eyes, not wanting to meet Rebecca's as he backed away. She looked about, confused and irritated by the sudden buzzing. Her "back-up mic", the one Marcus had given her to wear beneath her blouse, also adding to the din of mechanical buzzing. If nothing was done, the electrical devices would send arcing plasma between the unknowing reporter and the Militia conspirators in a chain of over a dozen links.

Women and children equipped with the devices gathered about under the impression that the devices would, at worst, cause them to fall to the ground in convulsions. They too, would be quickly caught in the Militia's murderous war against mutants. To the world, they would simply be more innocents slaughtered by the mutant menace, killed by the carelessness of the United States' overly accommodating governmental policy.

Rebecca Long, for her part, was simply annoyed by the interruption.

Just when we finally got someone interesting to interview, too.

Avatar image for elizabethlebeau
ElizabethLeBeau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's nothing new but there's always news.

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Rosso  Online

Vandalizes a window at night.

ParagonxXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*Takes pictures of @rosso vandalizing a window at night and gives them to Action 6 News* Tehehe

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Rosso  Online

@paragonxxx: Good thing I used my handy "Apex Predator" lookalike suit!

ParagonxXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rosso: Nuts. *Snaps fingers* ^_^

ACTION6NEWS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This just in: The Gothic "hero" known as "Apex" or "Apex Predator" has purportedly been

seen vandalizing several windows in the vicinity of this very studio. How about that, Linda?

It's just such a shame to see heroes betraying American values so openly, George. Is nothing sacred? Can we no longer have windows for fear that costumed vigilantes will break, spray, bat-a-rang, or otherwise deface them? What is this country coming to?

It's a real shame, Linda. In other news: the Action 6 News team picnics in Gothic City's Wrangley Park, is it really as dangerous as they say?

Yes, but the danger might not be what you think. Tune in tonight at eleven to find out more.

@paragonxxx: @rosso:

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Rosso  Online

Only 31 in and that account already has some of my favourite posts - these guys are hilarious.

Soliton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@action6news:

Delaware was a woodsier state than what she was used to. Lack of noise became almost unsettling in the face of familiar hustle and bustle a city brought. Wasn't really hard to keep your head down when you were so short and looked like you had some semblance of an idea where you were going. Use a little common sense, stay out of those pesky alleyways and even so, one small zap was enough to ward off your run of the mill pest. She could at least do that without blowing up a parking lot. Heck, she could even make a bit of money off it, being a free generator and all. So long as she stayed calm.

"Uhm." The initially word or more accurately, noise she made as the onslaught of merciless inquiry had begun.

Seemed easier said than done. All semblance of composure went away when a nicely dressed, pretty woman appeared in front of her with cameraman not too far behind, little doubt in her mind that he's zooming in on her dirty face. Thoughts raced through her head, only a small amount of them concerned with what the woman was asking. Things ranging from “how do I look” to “Who's tracking this?” Suddenly she felt like she'd be totally more comfortable getting mugged right now, and if not for the power inhibiting Bracelet she wore, she would probably be sparking a bit ad her mind raced.

Words. Something outside of herself. The woman asked her something that she had strong sentiments. And suddenly, her scatter beamed brain focused into a diamond cutting laser. She didn't carefully assemble her words as more so, she seemed to know what she wanted to say.

Though that wasn't the best thing to say. But there was no taking it back.

“I mean I don't think Mr. Dorian's stupid. Uh. I…” She studdered. “I don't uh, know who the man is really. But the way it sounds, he seems like he's trying to bring in back a law that made the government…kinda like the Nazis. Rounding people up. Putting people into camps. It made the government into….bad guys.”

She sways idly, unable to keep still as she clasps her eyes. She fumbles for something to look at and then her eyes return sharply to the camera.

“I don't think registering in itself is a bad thing. But only if it is meant to help people like me.”

She takes off her bracelet and her hand gives a little spark. Or at least, that was what she intended. What actually came out was more than a small spark, if not due to her anxiety and even a bit of anger at the initial subect.

No Caption Provided

“…Not imprison them or turn them into weapons.’

She puts the bracelet back down, aversive of a few of the gazes she caught in even that minor display.

I have a bad feeling about this. Either this is gonna be really good or really bad.

CaptainNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On a boring news day, a car accident claims the lives all but one. A boy of 12 ends up in a coma.

ACTION6NEWS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soliton:

Damn good going, pal!
Damn good going, pal!

Rebecca Long smirked, and then expanded her lips into another too-bright, made for TV smile. Well, at least the kid's honest. No filter either, she'll probably be a real hit with the audience no matter what she says.

“I mean I don't think Mr. Dorian's stupid. Uh. I…” She studdered. “I don't uh, know who the man is really. But the way it sounds, he seems like he's trying to bring in back a law that made the government…kinda like the Nazis. Rounding people up. Putting people into camps. It made the government into….bad guys.

...Not imprison them or turn them into weapons.”

The girl in front of her surged with electricity, the smell of ozone suddenly coloring the situation with a distinct hint of danger. Long was taken aback, stupefied temporarily by the big reveal even she did not suspect. Marcus was not nearly so caught off guard. With a near imperceptible nod of his head, he signaled to the men and women behind Amani, who began to close in around the interviewer and interviewee.

"Well, that certainly was... surprising! I can see why you would have such a strong opinion on what's sure to be a very charged debate tonight! Ha ha...heh..." Rebecca laughed nervously, brushing back some of the hair that had begun to stand on end in the brief, miniaturized storm.

Suddenly, a soft humming began to sound all around the pair, the sound of a dozen improvised electrical charges gathering power. Soon they would deliver a payload far greater than their owners had assumed, over 3,00,000 volts were to be delivered in an amperage that was sure to be fatal, for far longer than it would require to send the human heart into cardiac arrest, longer than needed to put a stop to the action of the lungs.

Marcus closed his eyes, not wanting to meet Rebecca's as he backed away. She looked about, confused and irritated by the sudden buzzing. Her "back-up mic", the one Marcus had given her to wear beneath her blouse, also adding to the din of mechanical buzzing. If nothing was done, the electrical devices would send arcing plasma between the unknowing reporter and the Militia conspirators in a chain of over a dozen links.

Women and children equipped with the devices gathered about under the impression that the devices would, at worst, cause them to fall to the ground in convulsions. They too, would be quickly caught in the Militia's murderous war against mutants. To the world, they would simply be more innocents slaughtered by the mutant menace, killed by the carelessness of the United States' overly accommodating governmental policy.

Rebecca Long, for her part, was simply annoyed by the interruption.

Just when we finally got someone interesting to interview, too.

ACTION6NEWS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ACTION6NEWS

Tonight we are here with Marth Prince, a leading expert in human-mutant relations. Now, if I understand this correctly, you claim to have come across critical information that our viewers need to know immediately. So tell us, what exactly have you learned Doctor Prince?

Well George, there have been many new developments and scientific discoveries in genetics, but perhaps the most interesting bit of new information comes from Keira Hawk's #1 Best Selling Book: Powers Unlimited. In it she claims, based on her own analysis of statistical data, that

"...the number of humans living on planet Earth still outweighs the number of those with special powers and abilities. However, the number is gradually shrinking. By the year 2050, humans will be outnumbered 2 to 1 by those with special powers."

Hawke, K. (20xx). Powers Unlimited. @paragonxxx

Really? That is news. Could that really be true?

I'm afraid so, George. It seems that not only are mutants and meta-humans increasing in number far faster than anyone could have predicted. It's not entirely known whether this increase is primarily due to drastic changes in the environment, an inexplicable increase in humankind's rate of evolution, a Venezuelan plot, alien technology, or other outlandish, and yet very possible, factors, but once they come about they stay. I'm sorry to say that, from the perspective of natural selection, mankind is obsolete. Mutants survive at a far higher rate than humans, barring violent death, and reproduce with greater success. While not all mutants pass on their genes, many will pass on a recessive form of their mutation, allowing their offspring to appear human, reproduce, and pass on their x-genes to even those who do not wish to associate with mutants.

For fear of the danger they pose to those around them, you mean.

Oh, of course. The bad news doesn't end there though, George. Former Mayor of Gothic City, CEO, and Philanthropist Absalom Strix has recently released a book of his own.

Is he the one with the soundbite going around? The one all the kids are putting in their mee-mees?

Ah, you mean the controversial line from his press conference, when he was asked if he had any parting words for the community of Gothic? When he said "I am sorry mutants happened to you"?

That's the one.

Yes, it landed him in a lot of hot water, and he doesn't seem to be shying away from his stance, either. In his book, "Mutant Society And Its Future, A Humanist Manifesto", he eloquently puts forth the case that a great social and moral dilemma is night upon us: the destruction of equality itself.

Well that does sound like quite the issue, Marth. We will return right after these messages! Keep it here to learn more about the threat to equality itself with Action 6 News! Stay tuned, folks.

Mary, N. (7) - Empath. She projected her rage upon her teacher, who attacked her and her classmates.
Mary, N. (7) - Empath. She projected her rage upon her teacher, who attacked her and her classmates.
Elizabeth Q. (17) - Scale skin. Transformed in the middle of her cheer routine at homecoming. Was booed off the field.
Elizabeth Q. (17) - Scale skin. Transformed in the middle of her cheer routine at homecoming. Was booed off the field.
Matthew and Katherine Y. (16&16) - Telekinetics. Matthew attacked three fellow students after he caught them teasing his sister. Two are still in critical condition.
Matthew and Katherine Y. (16&16) - Telekinetics. Matthew attacked three fellow students after he caught them teasing his sister. Two are still in critical condition.
Together, there is only tragedy.
Together, there is only tragedy.

Protect our children. Let them live happy and without worry.

Create safe, specialized schools for mutants.

Vote "Yes" on Prop 62.

We're back with our guest doctor Marth Prince. So Marth, you were telling us that equality is being threatened?

It sure is George.

Hmm. Well how does that work?

Well, George, according to Mr. Strix, "inequalities in capability" already undermine the concept of equality by allowing great amounts of wealth to be hoarded, utilized to amass more wealth, which is then passed on to the next generation, whereby they repeat the entire process.

Sounds like the American Dream. Self made-men earning a living and passing it on to their children.

That may be, George, but that hoarding leaves less resources for the rest of society, correct? Now, humans, we can only do so much, but time and again the author emphasizes that mutants are not as restricted as we are in capability, and so their "slice of the pie", so to speak, will only get larger and larger. It is unstoppable. The average mutant is simply of more utility to society. He can be more productive. He can do things more quickly, more efficiently, do more at once, do more with less. Humans? We are born with limits on our intelligence, on our strength, our speed. Mutants are exempt from such restriction, and the hand of capitalism favors the strong, the fast, the efficient.

So you're saying...

Yes, that humans will be pushed out of the economy, our influence over society growing ever more marginal until, as Mr. Strix puts it,

humans will rapidly become second class citizens at best and pointless drains upon the resources of their superiors [mutants] at worst.

Strix, A. (20xx). Mutant Society And Its Future: A Humanist Manifesto. @absalom_strix

That is... a bleak future you present, Mr. Prince.

Indeed. This future, this nearcertain future, coupled with the statistical analysis provided by Keira Hawke, paints a picture of humankind becoming disposable, obsolete, and, ultimately, extinct shortly within the next century.

That... is, uh, all the time we have for tonight. Tune in tomorrow for the latest action all around the country. This is George Kelmer, signing off...

*The views and opinions expressed in this interview are those of the interviewee and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Action 6 News, its affiliates, or the S8PN network.

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rosso  Online

One of these days I'll have to secure an interview.

Soliton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@action6news:

(This one ran a bit long. It's a doozy. )

She giggled at the woman's cheesy as heck pun. Her eyes fidgeted in her sockets, wanting to see how many people were watch

Crowd started closing in onto her, but her mind gravitated towards whatever sort of humor it could grasp at to distract her from being nervous. She knew what usually happened when she got nervous. Her power worked like some kind of underdeveloped muscle. Like a baby trying to control it's limbs. If a baby had power outputs on the scale of industrial nuclear reactors, anyway.

"Yeah!"She beamed, more so seeking to delay an actual answer. "Uhm. I think that if people really wanted to know about every mutant's powers for safety reasons. If people wanted to help. Before all people did was-"

The world slowed down and something felt very wrong. She didn't really know why she stopped talking, what her subconscious was processing but her mind was not. She turned around, her and saw people seemingly frozen in midair.

Why are they-

Then she realized that they're falling. Her chest tightened almost as thought something was coiling around her heart. Her pupils dilated in not fear, no, unadulterated terror. The kind that ripped any semblance of reason away in favor of raw fight or flight. To stay and help, or to run. She wanted desperately to be able to think for herselfbut it felt like she just got punched in the metaphorical face. So she had to do what the the first thing in mind was.

Her hand shot out to help the person nearest to her.

Zap.

That...hurt. The residual static discharge embing itself through her and ironically.

The pain shot throughout her entire body. She lost any semblance of motor skills or any ability to stand regardless of how much she wanted to speak or to say something. She probably could have screamed but her mouth simply wouldn't listen to her. She hit the aspalt face first not too soon after they did.

She twitched.

I'm not running. Not this time.

Every muscle in her arm especially rebelled against her, as if she'd spent the last hour in some Olympic weightlifting regiment. But she at the very least was able to get up to her knees and crawl over to the nearest person. She took a breath, and grabbed at her bracelet, removing it from her body once more. Electricity now could no longer harm her so long as it didn't dance through her nervous system. But the effects of the pain were still there. It was good that was only a split seconds worth, and not something more prolonged. In learning of electricity, she knew it's effects.

However, to say her powers were just the ability to control electricity seemed an oversimplification. Indeed. It was the ability to control electrons. The things that gave matter it's properties. She'd spent time reading of how Electrons controlled how light interacted with matter. It bonded matter to other matter and controlled every facet of how atoms and molecules reacted chemically with one another.

She grabbed the wrist of the boy

Still a pulse. But slow.

Her hand moved over his chest. Zap.His body jolts. His heart beats yet still. But now how it should. Zap.A part of her hates how she's just guessing and trying to tune frequencies. That in the time this is taking, others are slowly fading.

Zap...

His body jolts.

Zap....

His body jolts..

Zap....

He's breathing. Not conscious. But breathing. Which was less than what she could say for everyone else in the few minutes it took her to do this. It felt strange to her, it nagged that she didn't really feel anything about it yet as she...just sat there.

Now what?

ACTION6NEWS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soliton:

It all happened too fast. The girl she was with, the mutant girl, was answering her question when all of a sudden lightning seemed to form in the corner of her eye. Rebecca turned, saw the flash of electricity, felt a burning jolt go up the microphone's cable and into her arm, then down through her heart, and then she felt nothing. Her mind fell into blackness as her body hit the pavement.

Marcus stood there dumbfounded. Everyone around him was dead. Dead or dying. He dropped the camera, the lens shattering and tossing a thousand prisms of light across the cement. One of the glass shards embedded itself in his knee as he knelt by the woman he'd loved for the last six months, her body finishing its convulsions.

He began chest compressions immediately. No second thoughts.

Crackerjack Cafe - Sixty Feet from Event Site

"We got her. She's hit. Down even. Send in the first responders. Load up these snowbirds 'fore they get cold.

Ah, boy. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy. The kid's too sentimental. I'll deal with it, just know it's goin' ta be extra next time."

Grant Diaz sat across from the street from the impromptu interviewee, and when she dropped he couldn't help but chuckle.

Not so tough after all, were ya chiquita?

He rose, the swamp mud sticking to the inside of his pants. He hated the way his body shifted if he sat too long, but he wasn't one to complain about a job. Not too loud, anyway. He waltzed over to the chaotic scene, he had to make sure the Militia's "volunteers" were disposed of.

Whistling the tune to "I Love Lucy", he gingerly shoved the body of seventy-year old engineer Bobby Dreer, Militia flunky, with his boot, turning him over. Deeeefinitely dead. That'll teach you to sign up for community service, acere.

He started toward the Action 6 Cameraman when she stirred. The little girl got up, took off that funky accessory on her arm, and started up a little storm action of her own. Restarted some kids heart. That wouldn't be too bad. They could take care of that in post. Now, if she figured out that there were other players in the game? Who they were? What they'd done? Why, there'd be hell to pay. And he didn't like the thought of that. He changed course to intercept her instead.

"Hey lil lady, I need to stay right there while we get the ambulances, alright? You could be hurt, and you could be hurtin' others with them fireworks you got goin' too. I know you wanna help, but the damage's done. Best leave this to the authoritees and sit on the sidelines for a bit."

Sure enough, as though they were positioned just around the corner, paramedics began to file in and cart away the dead without a second word. Some glanced nervously at her as they filed by, but the mysterious stranger continued to position himself between the responders and the mutant girl.

"Help me, you rats! Bastards! Get a freakin' defibrillator or something!"

The mystery man's tongue clicked as he looked over at the hysterical cameraman.

Little late for buyer's remorse, Yuma.

There was derision in his stare, but he quickly turned back to the girl. "Now, now, let's just move on out of the way and let the pros handle this one." He tried to put a "reassuring" hand on her shoulder, to guide her away from the cries for help, from the operation continuing to unfold behind them. Away from the "paramedics" who seemed to be ignoring the man's requests. Meanwhile, the electrical devices were carted off with their carriers one by one into waiting ambulances, powered off, and thrown into sealed, rubber-lined containers. There were many to remove, and it was slow going. They had to show an excess of caution in the face of the... unexpected survivor.

ACTION6NEWS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ACTION6NEWS

And now we return to a segment familiar to all of our everyday viewers: "What's going on in Gothic now?"

To start us off, some lighter news. The much somewhat infamous Armani Street is rumored to be expecting a revival. Insiders say there are talks of buying up the now almost worthless land in an attempt to rebuild it into an adult-oriented amusement area. We can only hope that it goes better this time around, as the last business that stood there, The Patio, went down in literal flames. Many wonder how the new proprietor will attract clientele, and retain them, amidst the chaos and anarchy that Gothic is infamous for.

Speaking of chaos in Gothic, gang violence recently increased to near unprecedented levels as what appears to be a giant mechanical being terrorized citizens of Gothic. "He" had left several buildings in crumbling ruin as his reign of terror spread seemingly unabated until just recently. According to eye-witness reports, the mechanical being sometimes rambles on as though human. Truly an odd and terrifying thing.

You know, George, I've heard from several friends that all those mechanical parts might actually just be armor hiding some kind of mutant techno-phile or other metahuman, and that's why he keeps rambling on and on like that. He's really just hiding who he is under all that metal.

Well that is an interesting thought. Who knows, really? Now, although things seem to have quieted, no reports of the the robotic being's body have been reported, and so one has to wonder if he has left Gothic, or if his reign of terror continues somewhere out of sight. Our hearts and prayers are with those poor, innocent souls of Gothic that this tragedy has touched.

Also out of Gothic City, an attack on an Avalon recycling plant has left many experts stumped. Witnesses and victims reported yet another robotic being on a rampage, attacking several of the facility's staff before seeming to disappear without a trace. While a few staff remain in the hospital in critical condition and reports suggest damages in the tens of thousands, nothing was reported stolen or even missing, seeming to suggest that there is a spate of mech-on-man violence in Gothic.

Could this mean a robotic uprising in the near future? Stay tuned to see our special guest, technological and robotics expert Doctor Mahad al-Rasheed, discuss the subject with us, right after this break...

Inane Commercial Below

Does this sound familiar? You're trying to eat the latest in Asian fusion cuisine, but you just can't seem to get anything with those slippery sticks!

No Caption Provided

Sick of looking foolish in front of your friends and waitstaff?

No Caption Provided

Well don't get frustrated! Get Easystix!
Well don't get frustrated! Get Easystix!

Easystix use our patented bear-buddy design to make chopsticks of any kind easy to use and FUN to eat with!

With tons of colors for kids!
With tons of colors for kids!
And new, Panda design!
And new, Panda design!

So eat what you love as it was meant to be eaten, with Easystix!
So eat what you love as it was meant to be eaten, with Easystix!

Order now and you'll get a second set of Easystix for every third set you order, you just pay processing and handling!

So get Easystix, and get eating!
So get Easystix, and get eating!

ACTION6NEWS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ACTION6NEWS

And that's all for the weather. Back to you, George!

Thanks Don. Our next story is very near to our hearts, and the tragic nature of it has touched all of us here at Action 6 News. Hirohito Akiyama, one of the S8PN Network's founding members and greatest supporters, has recently been found dead just days after he was reported missing.

Akiyama, Hirohito 1950-2018
Akiyama, Hirohito 1950-2018

While investigators are remaining reticent about the situation, insiders tell us that foul play has been suspected. Mr. Akiyama was 68 years old, and is survived by his sons, Kaito and Hiru, his wife Nanako, and his two granddaughters Hana and Aoi.

Mister Akiyama will be fondly remembered for his contributions not only to his local community, but to the world at large. He, along with his associate Soshiro San'Vun, founded the Shinko Budhist Society, whose temples are located along the East and West coast of the United States as well as all throughout their home nation of Japan. More than anything, we here at Action Six News will remember him fondly for his diligence, generosity, and dedication to teaching the family values of loyalty, courage, empathy, and, of course, unassailable faith. He will be sorely missed.

In an unfortunate addition to this story, young Aoi Akiyama's whereabouts are still unknown. According to state officials, young Aoi was reported missing shortly after she left on a field trip with her class earlier this week. Officials from Higashimachi Elementary School have refused to comment on the situation. Our hearts go out to the Akiyama family in this most trying of times, and we pray that little Aoi gets home safe, sound, and soon.

Soliton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@action6news:

After what had just happened before her very eyes, Amani had the will of a wet noodle. It took such focus just to revive one and she, somehow, in a way she didn't understand was the cause of this, so she thought. Perhaps, someone else could have put two and two together. But the combination of stress and overwhelming despair at her own helplessness overtook her. She was very good at blowing at parking garages. And yet her power wasn't good enough to bring back more than just one boy. It was all about frequency of the electricity she sent, rather than current or magnitude.

So as the paramedics came and the mysterious stranger who saw it all came by conveniently to wheel her off, Amani was none the wiser to what was going on around her. A relief washed over her as the lives of others were taken from her hands and yet, she still remained in a world of darkness. In some way, she caused this. There remained nothing she could do for the rest and as best she saw it, she simply did what the man said.

It was at that moment that she had experience so much of this stimulus, this unpleasantness, that she had grown used to it like one would any other emotion. If her optimistic mind couldn't have happiness, than it would have none of this. Feeling the wrong things are what got her here anyway. It is why she is a homeless vagrant who endangers all the people she loves with her presence and it is why all these people are dead.

She walked along, her path impeded. And yet, the sea of nothingness, she still felt something. Gnawing at her conscious. Her self-implied sense of obligation to use her powers to decent things for others. Her head turned and her near blank expression flickered into something of sympathy. She wanted to turn away, because it hurt to look. It hurt so much to watch. To think that some minutes ago she was talking to this woman, to this human being who made her laugh and who the man cared for so much.

She broke from the man's reassuring grip and ran to her.

It wasn't fair in her eyes. It wasn't fair that everyone around her would die and she would save this woman over another child being carted off. Just a little bit more effort and they could have been saved too. But she had this newfound drive. But it was fleeting. Thus, she couldn't ignore this urge.

She right before the woman into her knees with a newfound instinct. All that regret drove her mind to think of what she could have done better and it became automatic. She felt for the woman's pulse in her wrist wrist and felt none. Immediately, she began. Not with electricity but with…chest compressions.

A defribrillator was made with the intent purpose of altering one's heart rhythm. But in order for that to work, there must be a rhythm.And so before she could think to apply any small fraction of charge to this woman's body? Before superpowers? Chest compressions.

….Fifty Five. Fifty Six. Fifty seven. Fifty Eight. Fifty Nine Sixty.

She pinches the woman’s nose, opens her mouth gently with her finger, leans down and blows air from her lips as close to the woman's throat as possible. Her hands press onto her diaphragm .

One. Two. Three…

Teeth clamped tightly by her jaws. She purposely didn’t show anyone her eyes, but it wasn't really hard to see what was happened when drops trickled down from her nose and onto the woman.

But, she felt something. Some sliver of the woman still yet remaining in this world? Maybe.

Here goes nothing.

No Caption Provided

Zap.

ACTION6NEWS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ACTION6NEWS

@soliton:

She seemed docile. Ready to leave it all behind, to abandon the carnage she had supposedly caused. That would be good. Grant could find a nice quiet spot to plug the back of her head with a slice of ceramic and--

And then she broke away. He had been too relaxed with her. Taken her forlorn expression as a sign of defeat after the first kid when it was anything but. The kid had the heart of a hero, and heroes were bad for business.

He reached out, the fore of his fingers beginning to peel away to reveal crude diamond knives, his fingers about to brush against the edge of her throat as she pulled away, when he heard it.

Snap

Snap Click Snap Snap

Crowds had naturally begun to gather around the pair. That was why they chose this location, after all. Visibility. Impact. Eye-witnesses. Plenty of scared, simpering whiners to mewl to the media about how another mutant had gone ballistic. Cell phones had been whipped out, videos capturing the girl moving forward, attempting to revive the reporter. Just another example of the how the girl was "tainting the narrative", as Glost would say.

But there was nothing that could be done about that now. The witnesses had gathered into a thick crowd, and in the cellphone age that spelled the death of any further action. The digital lenses rendered him powerless, paralyzed. And so, like the nightmare that draws to close by the merest opening of eyes, he vanished.

As Amani's small hands depressed the woman's chest, she heard the voice of the man kneeling beside her.

"I've got her breathing, just count off to thirty..."

Marcus moved aside as the young girl took over, tears hidden behind her hair, but streaming nonetheless. How could he have been so stupid? How could he have traded everything he had for this? Here he was, standing by the person he had tried to ruin, tried to kill, as she was trying to save the love of his life.

He felt stupid. Stupid and small.

Tears hit Rebecca's face, not his, but the girl's. She was mourning. They had just met, and already she cried for her. Not a man amongst the Militia had shed a tear, but here was this girl, this mutant, mourning with him. Onlookers recorded the development in an inverse of the news that would have seemed novel a decade ago, but which now felt routine. There were the flashes of camera phones all around, murmurings from the crowd, the screams of those whose loved ones had just fallen to the electrical assault, but Marcus could hear nothing. All he could hear was the slightest rush of air escaping from Rebecca's lips with each push, the grunts of effort coming from the girl, the count, and the occasional sniffling tear, though to whom it belonged he did not know nor cared to know.

"Come on, baby. You're stronger than this..."

He watched. He cleared when he smelled the ozone, saw the blue-white streams coming off her arms, and then waited.

The charge.

The shock.

And then...

No Caption Provided

She rose with a gasp, her eyes blinking against the harsh light of the sun.

"What, what happened? Marcus? Interview girl?"

Her eyes lazily drifted about, confusion heavy in her gaze as she cradled her head, hand pressed to her chest where her microphone had...

She withdrew her hand, the burnt back-up microphone a black husk in her fingers.

That was when Marcuse grabbed her by the shoulders, wheeling her around in a tight embrace, kissing her cheeks, lips, the top of her head, and anywhere else he could reach. It was with a crimson face that she pushed away, fixing her hair and glancing about, embarrassed at the crowd that had gathered. It was in this time that Amani could feel it. The small, burnt-black plastic and metal device pressed into her palm. It was the cameraman, his fingers closing hers around the destroyed device.

"When the time comes, show it to someone you trust. You'll need it." His eyes glanced about, darting and nervous. She could see agitation in them, paranoia. His next words came in a whisper. "I heard about you. We all did. Reach out. Feel around and you'll see something's not right here." He stopped, catching an eye in the crowd, one that seemed to almost melt from its socket in a mud-brown ooze.

"That's..." Another nervous glance, and now even she began to notice the odd glare from the paramedics, cold, murderous stares. He gulped. "It's... just..."

He did not say more, but his silence told her much. It was almost too obvious. There were dim pulses, confused and irregular, still moving through some of the "dead". Electricity was an imprecise killer, and this day, it seemed as though her bracelet, so accustomed to dampening some of her own power, had absorbed that excess which flowed through her body, her mutant powers making her a conduit for the excess energy. There were survivors still, despite the grim diagnosis repeated by every paramedic.

His nervous eyes met hers, equally unsure of what to do next.

Somebody_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Soliton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@action6news:

Amani gasped almost as though she was as shocked the news lady had returned to her as she was. Her arms flailed for a second before she back, onto her butt. It hurt, but it became a good position to watch. She still couldn't believe it, that she...did that. That she brought life back rather than took it away. The movie-like feeling did well to distract and maybe even her from mental exhaustion. It seemed a good thing that at least someone near didn't have to see their loved ones fade from them. A part of her wishes that she could-.

Wait a minute. Breathing.

She crawls over to one and feels their pulse. And then another within arms reach. And then another.

She'd begun to panic.

She could do it again, theoretically. But jump-starting people's hearts was something new to her. Heck, she'd never even had to use chest compressions t'ill now. Even though she can do one...there were so many of them. Her rapid breathing came to a slow as her eyes widened in even further confusion.

It was in this time that Amani could feel it. The small, burnt-black plastic and metal device pressed into her palm. It was the cameraman, his fingers closing hers around the destroyed device.

"When the time comes, show it to someone you trust. You'll need it."

"What is....?"

She didn't continue, as she just listened to the man and pocketed the small burnt device for later. Whatever it was? It could wait. All these people on the ground, and then all these people staring at her with such hateful eyes.

Why....?

They surround her, and she clenches her fist. Her breath becomes no longer rapid. The storm in her mind stops, as if something. Hate? No. She didn't hate anything really. She'd seen darkness in people from prostitutes to gangbangers. Very few people in this world were born evil and born worth hating. Everyone had a side that you didn't wanna see. And as she came to realize, she was no exception. Fury wiped away her fatigue like a hurricane in the storm.

The air around her distorted, electricity unconsciously flowing from her body at invisible frequencies. Then she sighed, dropped her bracelet and then it disappeared with only a minor spark appearing on her person every now again. And yet the contained anger on her face never faded.

"WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT?!!" She yelled.

"CAN'T ANY OF YOU SEE THEY'RE STILL ALIVE??" She turned around, as if to shower her fury on everyone, so each and every person.

"I CAN'T SAVE EVERYONE OKAY?!"

She fell to her knees defeated. Kneres knees bleeding and her not seeming. She looked at each and every paramedic, no longer able to adequately conceal the fact that she was blatantly crying. Hopefully everyone would be quiet enough that everyone could hear her speaking in at a normal volume and in an almost defeated tone towards the very people who hated her so.

"I-I...I need you..."

She started up again on one. Thirty Chest Compression this time. Like the man said. Then a zap. Nothing...30 more. Maybe the next time I'll do it.

Just have to remember the frequency. What it felt like.

ACTION6NEWS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soliton:

There was silence from all actors involved, but only for a heartbeat. Slow realization dawned on their patsy, the initial shock of resuscitation giving way to panic as the scope of the operation dawned on her. She crawled about, attempting to rescue those she had supposedly hurt, throwing the situation they had curated so carefully into the realm of fabrication, of fantasy.

She crawls over to another, and another, discovering pulses that are erratic, heartbeats spasming out of control. The situation had moved past incrimination, the betrayal of a brother-in-arms had seen to that. This was now a salvage operation, a fact made clear as Grant muttered orders into the microphone embedded somewhere in his earthen armor.

"Girl's fracked everythin'. Nuthin' we can do 'cept grab the gear 'n get out."

He sat back down at the cafe, silently fuming. It wasn't that he held a grudge against the girl (or he hadn't at the operation's outset, at least), but he loathed the thought of wasting his effort, wasting his time. He ordered another three glasses of water and watched his plans unravel.

The mock paramedics seethed at their failure, at the sudden change in plan, but they carried on admirably. They began to check the equipment, retrieving it in silence as she wasted her pleas on deaf ears. They worked hastily and with far less stealth, the spectacle having spread to all of them as she released her anger upon the crowd, her despair. They were the "true believers", the ones with no qualms over striking down their kin to further prove a point, the ones for whom emotion ranged only from utter hatred to the satisfaction of shared contempt. It was these men the Militia had tasked with defaming the mutant martyr.

But humanity is an instinct oft ingrained in even the most callous of killers, one etched deep in DNA and social circumstance. Two cracked under the pressure of the girl's heartfelt cries and the crowd's scornful gaze. It was her tears, the burden so obviously crushing the girl's sincere spirit, her attempts at reviving those they had so callously discarded, that broke their own resolve.

Luca Rivero began chest compressions and rescue breathing, abandoning his previous goals, but remained unable to meet the girl's eyes, or those of his former allies. Hugo Jimenez instead climbed up the steps of one of the ambulances, his fingers closing over the defibrillator's handle when another arm gripped his own. The crowds watched the odd standoff, watched as two EMT's stood locked in a stare as others died around them. There was scorn, anger, and reproach in the second EMT's eyes, but there was also fear. Reflected in Jimenez's eyes was not scorn or reproach, but danger, a wild anger that threatened without words.

The second man's grip relented, and Jimenez jumped down to the girl, pushing her aside with his forearm, a firm but gentle pressure. "Been doin' this seven years now, Alici--, ehm, chiquita. I'm going to need you to clear." He brushed against her shoulder, the zap of a spark causing him to grimace, but his eyes still fixed on the prone victim before him. "'Less you wanna take note of what you really need to do in an emergency like this." He tossed her a bottle of conductive fluid, nodding for her to apply it to him.

He tore off the shirt of the young man she had begun zapping.

"You want to position the pads, in this case your hands, one above the right nipple, the other a little further down the left side of the chest..."

"But why Tio Hugo?"

"Uh, because... you want the charge to... to go through the heart and avoid burning the skin...so placement is... uh..."

"So it'll bring people back to life? Like mami?"

"No, Alicia, mami's not... She can't come back. What happened to her in Grimm wasn't the same. It can't be fixed..."

No! Lives need saving, now! The past...

The past is dead.

Jimenez refocused on his duties, blinking the tears out of his eyes as he activated the paddles an prepped them.

"The amount of charge you need to use is going to vary from person to person, situation to situation." He rubbed the paddles together and charged it to the approximation of the charge needed. "Clear!"

The man's chest heaved as the charge went through it, a gasp and stuttering breaths emerging afterward. "Now you get out there and give it a go yourself, chiquita." He said as he withdrew another tube of the conducting gel. "I'll take the ones on the left."

It was an impromptu lesson in charge distribution, a real-world situation in which to perfect her knowledge on the human body and what it took to save a life.

One that Rebecca Long wasn't about to let go unnoticed.

"Get the spare lens, doofus!"

"What? Becc--"

"First of all, don't you ever call me 'Becca' in public again, and second of all, look around you! This is the news story of the year!"

"But Be-- Rebecca, you know the station doesn't go for pro-mutant and meta--"

"The station is going to put on what sells, and you can bet your ass I'm going to sell this!"

BREAKING NEWS

We interrupt tonight's re-run of We Love Lucy, the all Mormon remake of a popular classic, breaking news. Let's go live to our correspondent in the field, Rebecca Long. Rebecca.

"Thank you, George. I'm here at historical First State Heritage Park where earlier today a..."

A what? A mutant storm nearly killed this reporter and everyone in a fifteen foot radius?

"..a freak electrical occurrence nearly took the life of this reporter and several other innocent bystanders. Emergency personnel responded almost immediately, but it seems the true hero here is a young girl by the name of..."

Rebecca chuckled, her face reddening beneath the digital eye.

"Actually, I may have forgotten her name, if I ever had it in the first place."

"Regardless, her current anonymity does not take away from her heroic spirit. Here she is using her powers in a manner befitting even the best of heroes, bringing people back from the brink and helping them recover from the near fatal shocks they've received."

Wow! That is some story, Rebecca. But an electrical occurrence and a mutant or metahuman with powers that can manipulate electricity, isn't that a bit more than coincidence? I'm not trying to say that she isn't doing good work, but could she perhaps had something to do with the incident, even inadvertently?

"While there still remains some mystery surrounding the incident, it can be said with absolute certainty that this young woman had nothing to do with the event that nearly took the lives nearly a dozen people. As you can see she is--"

And you're sure about that. You've confirmed it with--

"Yes, it's been confirmed with every relevant authority, George. This young girl was even a victim of the very same electrical storm that nearly killed--"

I'm sorry, Rebecca, but it just doesn't seem likely that she was at ground zero and didn't have anything to do with--

"I am SURE!" Rebecca Long's sharp brown eyes bore barbs aimed directly into the camera. It made Marcus' blood run cold to be glared at like that, to see her adamant and unmoving again. She hadn't lost a bit of her spark, it seemed.

Well, I suppose if you've confirmed this with all the relevant sources...

"I have, George." The words were hard and cold as her stare, a look that warned against any further challenge.

"As I was saying, she is currently working tirelessly to restore rhythm to many of the victims of this freak occurrence. She has already revived both myself and another young boy, one Harold DeMarco, a third grader from Ervin Carlisle Elementary School. Currently they are working on saving the remaining ten individuals effected by this attack..."

So it was a lie. So she hadn't talked to the police or the forensic response team or the first responders about what had actually happened. She knew it couldn't have been the young girl in front of her, some instinct, some intuition told her as much, and her reporter's intuition was never wrong. She knew, knew, by pure instinct that by the end of all this, she would have an exclusive interview with the heroic young girl who had saved her life, and it was time to stake her livelihood on it.

Lcienimbus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Walks past front window, snaps a pic of her middle finger in front of the Action6 logo and sends it to the company's website.

"Screw ya'll. I seriously hate pricks like you. First Tiipenet, then these assholes. My day just keeps getting better and better."

Stowing her phone, Clair walks away, fading into the shadows.

ACTION6NEWS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Walks past front window, snaps a pic of her middle finger in front of the Action6 logo and sends it to the company's website.

"Screw ya'll. I seriously hate pricks like you. First Tiipenet, then these assholes. My day just keeps getting better and better."

Stowing her phone, Clair walks away, fading into the shadows.

"What is it this time?"
"More hate mail. This one's kinda cute though."
"Just put it with the rest and focus. We gotta get the next big story before Channel 8 or its curtains for me and you!"
"You're no fun anymore, Charlie."
"You know what else is no fun? Homelessness! Now get back to work!"
"Yeah, yeah..."

*click* click* *click*

Soliton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@action6news:

Amani looked all about. Pieces had come together, but many were still missing. Why were they leaving? Did they think her some kind of god? That her powers had some type of magic behind it that allowed her to simply revive human beings from death. Maybe, but if they did, she didn't know jack diddly squat about it. It was all chest compressions, breathes and just plain zapping people until they got up. When the man tried to get her to move she was all too eager to let a trained professional do this. To offer more insight than raw power ever would here.

When he'd begun to show her what to do, she focused so hard on what he was doing that it hurt her head how hard she was thinking. But in return she absorbed knowledge and information like a sponge and listened to his every word, her eyes focused on his hands and only having looking to him during lapses in his speech

Alicia?

She threw some whatever onto the guy. Sometimes Amani encountered people who weren't all that conductive. Dry skin and all that. It all made sense to her the way he told her. She didn't know why it made sense or why she didn't feel like an idiot. Why she didn't even feel like she needed to ask questions. She simply did. And from there she took a handful of the gel herself.

Next guy. She tried to rip his T shirt apart but found out she wasn't really strong enough physically do that. After a bit if scrambling to just quickly get on her feet and yank the guy's shirt off.

“Clear!”

Zap.

She like he showed her. Didn't work the first time, but she felt like she was starting to get the hang of this. Being nervous never really seemed to help much in trying to do anything precise or harder than running for your life. Despair did nothing but weigh her down, so she was eager to discard it. Idealism and optimism were things so easily lost to many people. But when someone or something gave her even the smallest flicker of hope, she clung to it. Even a little desperately.

“Clear!”

Zap.

Eyes shot open as the man breathed again. It took five tries, a helluva lotta chest compressions but he was breathing. Breathing was beginning to shallow for the others and thoughts of who would she rather see live and who she would rather see die began to surface on her mind as she instinctively found her hands hovering over that of a young girl not unlike herself. Aside from being a mutant and likely in school.

“Clear!”

Not as many chest compressions. Bit of breath. Three tries. She was breathing again! Between the two saviors, there were five left.

But none if them were breathing.

Onto the next.

“Clear!”

A convulsion. The boy's body jolts up, before slumping limply back down. Nothing more.

“Clear!”

Nothing.

“Clear!”

Nothing.

She lost count of how many of everything. How many breathes. How many chest compressions. How many zaps! But it was enough that someone who knew nothing about medical science put his hand on her shoulder to stop her, as if to indicate it's alright for her to stop trying.

Now what?

She didn't know whether to run away and be chased or to stay and turn herself in. The thought of being thrown into some insulated cell at the bottom of some high tech, solitary bunker didn't sound so bad. At least, if she wouldn't be experimented on and turned into a weapon.

I wonder what Abby would think…

She gave a great big sigh, because as much as she hated to admit it, she was glad at least that this part was over. And was yet again content to do nothing save await whatever it was she deserved.

ACTION6NEWS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soliton:

The "EMTs" finally left. The majority of the devices, save the one tucked away into young Amani's hand, were cleared from the scene. All-in-all, she had saved many. Of the fallen, only three had remained in the grips of the grim reaper. The man she had attempted to revive at the end, a child too young to survive the current coursing through her young body, and a woman with severe burns where the device was tucked in next to the wire of her bra.

Real paramedics showed up only a few moments after the Militia's own had fled the scene, almost shoving the young mutant aside as they took charge of the area, carting away survivors and those affected into the ambulances, checking cardiovascular status and alertness as they cared for the injured. But they were not the only ones who had arrived on scene.

Diaz smirked from across the way as the Dover PD's cruiser cut its sirens, a single officer emerging warily, one hand extended to request calm from the crowd, the other thumbing the grip of his service pistol. His eyes scanned for threats, for the mutant reported to be running amok within the downtown area, when finally his eyes fell to the girl everyone had gathered around. He reattached the clasp around the grip of his gun and instead withdrew a thin, frayed yellow note pad from his front pocket. Kneeling, he met the girl at eye level.

"Hey there little lady. I hear you're having a, uh, a rough day, let's call it." The back of his pen tapped the pad in a quick rhythm as he spoke, a consequence of his nerves. "So, you wanna tell me what happened here?"

"I can answer that officer." It was Marcus who strode forth, and, although the hesitation was clear on his face, he continued regardless. "This young lady happened to be in the area when our..." His mind raced back to the many meetings with the Militia, to the catastrophic consequences that accompanied betrayal. "When some equipment we had went on the fritz. We were supposed to leave it in the van, but we decided to try out one some of the new mics that were recently donated to us by an anonymous, private donor. I guess we can see why they decided to remain anonymous now, huh?"

Officer Lucaine's eyes shifted between the cameraman and the young girl, skepticism alive in his stare, but finally he settled on the cameraman rather than the tired, resigned face of the teary-eyed young woman before him. "Alright, well I'm going to need you to answer a few questions then."

"Absolutely officer." Marcus placed the camera down on a nearby crate, one of the many used to transport the sensitive equipment needed for broadcast, and stepped away with the officer. Rebecca watched as the two departed, clearly irritated at the interruption to her broadcast, but then decided to make the best of it. She angled the camera on the box so as to point toward the young hero and herself as she joined Amani in frame.

"Hello? Rebecca, you there?"

"I sure am, George. Of the dozen or so people who were caught in this freak electrical incident, only three perished, though things appeared to be much more dire just moments earlier. It is only thanks to the stalwart efforts of this young woman that so many were spared today. So tell us, what's your name, and how does it feel to be a hero?"

She smiled, bright and dazzling even though the pain running through her body still burned horribly. Her eyes were focused and alert, and they seemed to almost plead silently, conveying her thoughts as though through telepathy to the young girl before her.

Come on! You only get one chance to come out in front of this whole thing, don't waste it!

ACTION6NEWS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ACTION6NEWS

Narcissism. Complacency. Corruption. Is your child at risk?

Here with us tonight is Doctor Jane Louis, graduate with Master's Degrees in both Sociology and Communication Studies. I understand you have some alarming news about these, uh, "Hive robots"?

H.I.V.E. Androids, Mr. Kelmer. And yes. This company, which has thus far evaded attention from the Federal Trade Commission and any meaningful regulation for years now, has finally begun commercial sale of what could possibly be the greatest threat to the social well-being and moral development of this nation's youth.

Really? Well that is positively alarming! But how is this possible, Dr. Louis, and by what means could they possibly wreak such chaos?

Well you see Mr. Kelmer, by creating and spreading these machines we further encourage the social isolation of youth for whom this is a growing problem, allow for the deterioration of social skills and mental health, and grant yet another point of access to technology to children early on (thus shirking parental responsibilities to these machines).

So you're saying creating and distributing these machines is only going to be purely negative? That this advancement in technology will only worsen humankind?

No, no of course not. No advance is ever nearly so simple, Mr. Kelmer. Let's see... how to better explain this? Ah! Let us take the Millenial Generation as a quick subject of study. By now you and your viewers have likely heard that the implementation of social media, text messaging and the like have largely increased the gulf between millennials and their peers, I take it? As in, socially, they feel more isolated despite being more connected than ever? The research has been clear on this for some time, so I feel no need to further elaborate on that point, but it does make for a good point of comparison. The ease with which children find validation online has led to a practical addiction to social media, with more and more online stimulation needed to fill a void that face-to-face contact used to occupy. Now imagine this level of technological manipulation applied to a "being" right next to you.

Wouldn't that just mean I am speaking face-to-face?

Well, yes and no. This partner you interact with would not, in fact, be a "true human". It would not mimic the interpersonal conflict, the egotism, or the contentions that you would experience when dealing with true human peers. They will be, in essence, designed to be accommodating and subservient, slaves, if you will. Real humans will not act in this manner. Real humans will have conflicting agendas, desires, and emotional states. The skills needed to speak to an artificial being and those needed to interact with humanity are vastly different, and my only fear is that these skills may be further lost as technology marches onward, that they will be eroded in this increasingly technological, artificial world.

I suppose what I am saying is that children currently growing with these machines will likely have fewer and less refined social skills than their peers, than those who cannot simply order about a humanoid organism and have their needs met at a notice. Mothers, already struggling to limit screen time on computers, tablets, gaming systems, and other digital babysitters will also likely find a solution in these relatively cheap artificial assistants, only further isolating their child from true human contact. We are already seeing a reported decrease in affection with current technology which, while somewhat colloquially reported, has been noticed by many children when interacting with parents who are constantly tied up on their cell phones. According to interviews with one thousand children of smartphone using adults, they have recently noticed a "disconnect" between them and their parents, one caused entirely by the absorbing, near-addictive nature of the modern phone. They don't run to the door to greet them anymore, a practice I still remember as a child, because more often than not they choose to pay more attention to the six inch piece of plastic sitting in their hand than their own children. An android that can care for children while the parent is allowed to almost fully ignore them and absorb themselves in the digital world can only be more detrimental for children who are already spending less and less quality time with their parents.

I'm not sure I understand your concerns here, doctor. Isn't this entirely different from current technology? Wouldn't these androids only facilitate more time together as common chores and problems are taken care of ahead of time?

That would be the ideal, George, but my concern is that this piece of technology, like so many before it, will serve to further isolate children from the real world, even if that is not the intention behind its creation. Still not understanding? Well then how about this. Increased time spent on current technological innovations, like video games, created as a mere hobby but which has now resulted in addiction in many, social media, which while meant to connect people has in reality left many feeling inadequate and inferior, as well as lonesome, and instant messaging, a service which has been credited with killing face-to-face contact and, while more precise than calls or conversation, fails far more often in creating true dialogue. These technologies have been used in ways that their creators did not account for, as are most new technologies. They all deserve the same level of analysis that I have undertaken, the same amount of skepticism. The fact is that high-tech means of entertainment and communication have correlated to an increase in antisocial behavior, social anxiety, awkwardness, and a lessening desire to communicate with other individuals face-to face already, so what do you think will happen when androids explicitly meant to take the place of humans are introduced? What do you think will happen when people are no longer even necessary for daily life, George? When people can be easily and safely replaced with machines?

You're saying social skills will actually worsen, even though they will receive human-like contact? That just seems unlikely, doctor.

And maybe it is. Maybe my fears will not come to pass, but just keep in mind that "human-like" is not human. A robot that is subservient to you will not and can not simulate the peer relationships present in everyday life. This means that the "Men Going Their Own Way" movement, and "hikikomori" (those lonely Japanese bachelors choosing a life of solitude and self-imposed societal exile in Japan, largely assisted by technology's easy access to pornography and godless, filthy hobbies), will now find themselves with further reason to remain in isolation, to continue on a path of self-destruction. The traditional approach to aiding these individuals in Japan has been to build connections to the outside world, to have someone visit until they feel comfortable being with them and emerging with them. This technology will allow shut-ins to replace that contact, robbing it of its power to draw them back into the real world through a close approximation of that contact, by creating ideals that real women wouldn't be able to live up to. These machines will be just another reason to stay isolated in their own world, and if they do the rift between these people and society will only worsen.

Well, is that really a bad thing, Dr. Louis? Judging by your own descriptions, and this may seem harsh, but it does not seem as though we are particularly missing out by isolating these individuals from the rest of us.

You simply do not understand, George. Incidences of asocial and anti-social behavior are only going to increase as technology provides an essential "out" to those who can afford it. Look to the internet. Look to video games. Our children are spending more time glaring into a screen than socializing with their friends, than learning the ins and outs of how to function normally within a society comprised of their peers. Gaming addiction has recently been identified by the World Health Organization as mental health condition that limits the potential for millions around the world and causes them to miss out on life in favor of a digital world, and internet addiction been repeatedly linked to mental health issues that threaten mental and social well-being. Why? Because it is unpredictable. Because it can interact with society in was that are unexpected or unforeseen, create problems that its creators didn't predict.

I understand that technology is helping our world, interconnecting it in new and exciting ways and providing us with many interesting frontiers to push forward in, but it is also a mire in which we lose our children and ourselves. Parents are already absorbed into the trap that technology presents in the form of smartphones and social media, becoming less present for children even as they grow, thus leaving technology to fill in the gap of caretaker as well. Will we relegate our parenting to these machines as well? Entrust them with our nation's future?

Is it really so silly to believe that a robot butler or maid, with no emotional investment in your well being, who is required by its programming to unflinchingly fulfill your desires without question, no matter how immoral those desires may seem when considering its own being, or how detrimental it may be to your own health in the long run, will worsen this problematic trend in the nation to rely on technology to perform even the most basic of human tasks, to take the place of human interaction?

I do not believe I am exaggerating when I say that we stand at the cusp of a great technological abyss, and that if we step any further in, we may find that there is no way out, that technology will become so integral to man that we will find no escape from it, no life without it, losing some essential spark that makes us human.

Well, an interesting opinion, certainly, but I suppose only the future can tell if you are correct. Thank you for dropping by, Doctor Louis.

It was a pleasure, George.

Next up on the news, are you a victim of mind control? This one simple test may shock you. More on that, after the break!

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Rosso  Online

I'll be sending you a PM soonish.

HumansFirst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HumansFirst  Online
Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Rosso  Online

@humansfirst: Later today. On mobile (sporadically) til the building clears out a bit.

Hawkshade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy these posts.

HumansFirst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 HumansFirst  Online

@hawkshade: Thanks. It's weird, but I always read your OOC chatter in Kevin Conroy's voice, but your IC dialogue in Christian Bale's.

Grimmwald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, this is Iron Phantom's work? There is nothing he can't do! Love his RP'ing.

ACTION6NEWS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is your cat hiding a terrible secret? More on the X-gene in our feline friends coming right—

Hold on, I'm getting a report of breaking news coming out of Gothic City.

Mm-hmm...

If I understand what I'm hearing correctly we have breaking news surrounding yet another large scale, meta/mutant battle in Gothic city. Apparently the violence is so intense that many within the city limits are likening it to what media outlets have titled the "Shadow War", a large scale conflict led by the self-titled Shogun of Venezuela, and Satar's infamous fire-bombings of the city. It seems that this attack, like those before it, are being led by mutant extremists, all wearing similar blood red uniforms. It seems that we may finally have confirmation of the "Shogun's" rumored ninja hit squad, the Orochi.

Is Venezuela, despite its new "human-friendly" stance on national relations, finally making their move against America and its fair citizens? We go to our affiliate in Gothic for more.

Jeremy? Are you there?

I am George, and let me tell you, it is absolute bedlam in Gothic tonight. I can count on one hand the number of times there has been an assault in this part of uptown in the last six months, but now... Well, take a look for yourself.

Hold on Jeremy, is that screaming I hear?

It sure is George, and its been drifting up this apartment building all night, and with plenty of reason. If you looks around at the buildings around us— there, can you see them?

I sure can, Jeremy. Flags of some sort. Is that an indication of a national affiliation of some sort?

I wish it were, George. Those "flags" you see are human skin, shorn from victims while they're still alive, left as a warning to others. I wish I could say that was the worst I'd seen tonight. In fact, if you looks over this way, you should still be able to see those red-suited ninjas streaming into the Gothic's only state of the art hospital.

They're attacking a hospital?

It seems so, George.

So this is a terrorist attack then?

It sure seems that way from here on the ground, George. If there's any word that comes to mind tonight, it is terror...

Grimmwald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this.

ACTION6NEWS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grimmwald: And I love the Purge! Your faceoff with Hawkshade is my favorite part. You two are out of this world!

Not to say everyone else is going unappreciated, but your battle is the perfect summation of the conflict itself. Well-meaning, but stagnant good versus necessary, overdue "evil". I love it, and your posts are as phenomenally crafted as ever. The whole thing has been an absolute pleasure to read.

Phenomenal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@action6news: Thank you! That's very high praise because I consider you as premier as premier RP'ers get. Both LL and I have poured a lot of energy into creating what we hope to be a memorable feud, and to see it being recognized means a lot.

Soliton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Soliton

@action6news:

There she sat, on her knees staring down blankly into the asphalt with her hands clasped in her lap. She sharply looks up, roused from her empty daydream by the officer crouching next to her. The question bounces about her skull before someone….defends her. She briefly takes a moment to think about it. Is he lying or could what he saying really be true?

It was all too tempting to believe and even the possibility of this explanation brought a wave of relief washing over her. At the same time, it felt bad to feel good. People around her were dead regardless, and it being her fault or not wasn't going to change that.

She took out the burnt thing the man had given and given a glance over. Slapping on her power dampening bracelet, she tested it. She tried to channel a minute spark and then, a mighty electical surge…and yet nothing. Her bracelet still yet worked. If by some chance it lapsed, it was only for a second. And then she started to think back. She didn’t see the discharge but she saw the light from the arc behind her. An electrical surge like that would take a lot of power. Amani thought herself dumb sometimes, even now, but she knows electricity.

This still doesn't make sense.

There were pieces of the puzzle gathered before her, yet she'd yet to put it all together. It them, she realized there was a whole wide world existing around her with important things relevant to her going on in it. There was a reporter in front of her speaking to her as she snaps to.

“Uhh…” She stutters out after what looked like consideration (in truth she was thinking the same thing), staring into the camera with uncertainty as she gets up to subconsciously decide how to get up.

She didn't want to potentially lie and say she didn't cause it.

No Caption Provided

“To be honest, I don't really know how it happened.” She spoke honestly, the words coming easily now. “I just saw people all around me falling to ground, electrified. Twitching. So I wanted to help them. And I helped two off pretty much sheer luck. And they..." She points off to the EMTs who aided her. “....showed me how to help more people and if it weren't for them a whole lot more people would have died.”

She lowered her arm. Everything was coming so easily now, as she stared earnestly into the camera.

Her hands balled into fists.

“They're the real heroes.”

ACTION6NEWS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ACTION6NEWS

Good evening America, this is George Kelmer with Action 6 News. On tonight's report, the controversy over proposed law H.R. 3991, also known as the "End Vigilante Surveillance Act", and what you need to know about this highly divisive bill. Here with us to explain to us some of its finer points is security expert and metahuman threat analyst, Francis Manne. Welcome. So, Mr. Manne, what are your thoughts on this bill, and what do you think will come of it?

Thank you George. As for what this bill proposes, it's essentially an update, a long overdue one, that would classify metahuman vigilante organizations, such as the JLA and the newly formed Alpha Guard, as foreign powers. This means that the level of scrutiny and surveillance these organizations would be capable of on American soil would be greatly reduced.

Well, isn't that a bad thing? Don't we want heroes watching over us?

Perhaps. But how much knowledge is too much knowledge? How do you feel about them pointing their telescopes down on us? Watching us in our backyards? Through our windows? How would you feel about these "heroes" tapping your phones? Reading your emails? Listening in on private conversations? All of these things are possible, and you'd be naive to think they aren't doing at least some of that now. And with the tragedy in Gothic, Valor, and Ethusalia so fresh on all of our minds, there are those actually pushing to increase the number of organizations capable of such surveillance.

How do you mean, Mr. Manne?

Well, take the statement by Kiera Hawke, saying that the JLA "can't possibly protect the world", claiming that's why we need these newcomers, the Alpha Guard. So here comes another vigilante group to continue where the JLA might be absent. Well what happens when that group can't prevent the next tragedy? I'll tell you what. We'll get the JLA 2, also beaming stolen information into their super computers, and then the Beta Guard, and then on and on until before you know it you have a superhero squad for every country, state, every city, every county, making sure American citizens don't step out of line, monitoring all emails, all calls, all conversation for any hint of the next tragedy, and fulfilling their voyeuristic bent in the meantime. You may trust all the heroes currently on the roster, but it only takes one person to catastrophically abuse that trust.

That is a rather worrying future.

Exactly. And that's what the concern is. One group of heroes, with UN authority to intervene on any soil anywhere in the world, with no greater justification than their desire to be there, was worrying. Worrying, but tolerable. With this call to action, with the proliferation of vigilante groups that deem themselves the ultimate letter of the law, the United States has to take actions to protect its own sovereignty.

And besides, it is not as though superheroes in their current form would be outright banned underneath the bill. It will not, as Ms. Keira Hawke so alarmingly stated, make these teams "criminals". The Department of Superhuman Affairs, for example, would be entirely unaffected as it is a part of the United States government, and in fact would likely play a greater role in coordinating responses from the currently scattered vigilante teams.

As for those vigilante teams themselves, HR 3991 would simply force them to change the manner in which they operate. They will be beholden to the American people, and the government's requests for their aid. They will not be able to mobilize whenever they see fit, but rather would be able to act only on the information provided by United States law enforcement agencies. They will move when called upon, see what is presented to them, and act when the American people have decided to trust them to act, rather than whenever they deem fit.

I think a prime example of the current problem can be seen in the Alpha Guard's own response to this entire ordeal. Their leader, Achilles, issued a statement that essentially boiled down to a condemnation of American law enforcement and emergency response everywhere. In his address he essentially calls them weak and ineffectual, if not entirely complicit in tragedies that have shocked our nation to its core, striking a low blow against patriots who have sacrificed everything for their nation and their communities. Heroes may have played crucial roles in fighting those threats, but good men and women, police officers and soldiers, died fighting the same forces they did. Yet he claims that it was not soldiers and police that stopped Satar's attack on Gothic, but heroes. And what did they stop, exactly? Gothic still burned. Blood still boiled away in the streets.

But he does make a good point. He claims that one hero drove Satar underground, and he is right. But who was that hero? Abigail Aensland, a human girl who fights with nothing more than a bow, her wits, and sheer resolve. She is not a part of a vigilante team. She doesn't have a floating techno-fortress in orbit, monitoring private communications and pointing high-powered cameras and telescopes down into sovereign American territory, at private American citizens. She makes due with the knowledge she can gather legally. She does not need spies and wiretapped phones because the people trust her to help them, and call upon her when they need her.

Furthermore, if you look at Gothic city most of its heroes, those that have the greatest impact, are often based in or around the city. The same is true for most cities. The others, the ones called in from abroad, hear things through networks of local heroes calling for aid. This type of network is not being targeted by this piece of legislation. It is only the severe overreach of those vigilantes who have devoted considerable resources into the monitoring of the world, be it from orbit or through intensive and illegal violations of privacy, that are being condemned and controlled by HR 3911.

This law is not meant to suppress the efforts of John Everyman holding up in a run down apartment somewhere in Gothic, keeping his neighborhood safe with grit and gumption. This law is not meant to outlaw heroes, or prevent them from addressing the actions of invading powers from the depths of space, or from monitoring those depths. It is meant to stop them from monitoring us. They will only be criminals if they choose to employ surveillance techniques outlawed for other foreign powers againstUS citizens. No one is questioning the validity or value of having heroes, as Thomas Richards recently suggested, but they are questioning how much leeway these heroes should have when it comes to information gathering. His efforts to support heroes traumatized by what they have seen in the line of duty is admirable, and we need more of that. He is a true patriot and the best of what America represents, but he misunderstands the issue. This is not a ban on superheroes, this is not a criminalization of superheroism. We appreciate what heroes are doing, truly we do, but there has to be limits in place otherwise those heroes infringe upon the rights of the people they safeguard.

The people of America will not tolerate Big Brother keeping a constant electronic eye upon us, nor should they, and that is exactly what this bill fights against. The rest of these objections are red herrings. Pointless conjecture that distracts from the intent of the bill, which is to force reform in a vigilante community that feels it is owed this information, owed the right to keep a constant watch over whomever they wish. That is dangerous. The people see the potential for abuse in such technology, and they are not wrong to fear it.

Certainly a very interesting take on this controversy, and with a lot of sound points to think about. Thank you again for coming onto the program, Mr. Manne. We hope to see you again soon.

You're welcome, George, and I'd be happy to come back. And to the people of America, don't forget, the right to privacy is yours to lose, and if you don't take action now that is exactly what will happen.

Powerful words. Up next, are poodles racist? The unexpected answer, when we return.

Thunderfistx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@action6news:

Well, just look at Kiera Hawke, also known as Paragon, Metro City's resident superhero.

The public doesn't know Keira is Paragon. ~_^

Awesome post! :)

ACTION6NEWS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Rosso  Online

And besides, it is not as though superheroes in their current form would be outright banned underneath the bill. It will not, as Ms. Keira Hawke so alarmingly stated, make these teams "criminals". The Department of Superhuman Affairs, for example, would be entirely unaffected as it is a part of the United States government, and in fact would likely play a greater role in coordinating responses from the currently scattered vigilante teams.

I'd wondered about that misconception (underlined) when I saw the wording. And that (italics) is...actually a decent counterpoint.

Already, this dialogue is bringing some things to the table that other related build-ups have lacked.

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Rosso  Online

But he does make a good point. He claims that one hero drove Satar underground, and he is right. But who was that hero? Abigail Aensland, a human girl who fights with nothing more than a bow, her wits, and sheer resolve. She is not a part of a vigilante team. She doesn't have a floating techno-fortress in orbit, monitoring private communications and pointing high-powered cameras and telescopes down into sovereign American territory, at private American citizens. She makes due with the knowledge she can gather legally. She does not need spies and wiretapped phones because the people trust her to help them, and call upon her when they need her.

You don't even know how much I appreciate how dastardly clever this is. Nice reversal!

Powerful words. Up next, are poodles racist? The unexpected answer, when we return.

And I always love these.

Thunderfistx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wally_Walker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lots of action around here.

ACTION6NEWS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

“To be honest, I don't really know how it happened. I just saw people all around me falling to ground, electrified. Twitching. So I wanted to help them. And I helped two off pretty much sheer luck. And they they...They showed me how to help more people and if it weren't for them a whole lot more people would have died.”

“They're the real heroes.”

Rebecca Long exhaled with a huff, pride swelling in her still aching chest.

That's not the answer you needed, but it was certainly yours, wasn't it?

She smiled, genuine affection in her eyes as she stared into the determined young mutant's gaze. Anyone who tried to implicate this girl would be crucified, at the very least by the media, or at the very least by Rebecca herself.

"Thank you, Amani, but you are far too humble. You saved lives today, helped save my life. And for that, we here at Action 6 News thank you."

With those words, she turned back to camera, propped up on the box. "And with that, we go back to you in the studio. We will continue monitoring this story closely, and will post a more detailed report on our website as the facts develop."

Her story finally finished, Rebecca moved over to the camera and cut the recording. She sighed, seating herself on one of the equipment crates as she rubbed the sore spot in her chest where bruises were beginning to form over the compression site.

She glanced back at the officer, still grilling Marcus over the details of what happened. She knew she'd have to get the whole story out of them later, but for the moment she was exhausted, hurting, and hungry, and she suspected young Amani likely felt the same.

"Hey Ammi, I'm starving. What say we head over to that cafe across the way and I buy you a coffee and scone. You know, to thank you for saving my life. And I won't take no for an answer. My life's worth at least a scone."

She grabbed Amani by the hand, trying to lead her across the street to the Crackerjack Cafe, leaving instructions with her driver to text her as soon as the police were done with Marcus. With that out of the way, she set her full force to ushering Amani across the street, ready to reward her with as many pastries and as much caffeine as her little heart desired.

Soliton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@action6news:

The young girl stared apprehensively into the camera, on and off. What she didn't exactly excuse her if this was her fault in some way. Yet, Rebecca's words were powerful. The woman was the probably one of the first people to ever really thank her. She made Amani feel like she made a difference, even if it was only a smaller scale. Helping normal people rather than out saving the world and fighting over countries. A good look around and it seemed like the only one who still seemed to blame the girl on this was herself.

With that, she could feel a little better. As the others had gotten loaded into ambulances, she had a little bit of hope for them. But not much. The gurneys felt like they may as well have been bodybags with the amount of time it took for the paramedics to get here. But there was a bright side. As Rebecca said, she had saved some lives. Despite the deaths, she saw people previously on the brink of death reunited with their loved ones.

And that all made it worth it.

I don't understand how this lady can be so strong. She almost died and she's still....smiling. She's still okay. Her camera man almost had a heart attack.

The interview was over, and she half expected to be approached by some police officer who ought to be questioning her. Someone who would logically take her and probably gently shove her into a car to go some station.

Instead, Rebecca comes over and takes the girl's hand.

"Uhhhhh...."

Her face flushes an utter loss of words, Amani looks about to see if there is anyone who would was going to question her do something. But no one seemed to want to. Everyone was seemingly content to just let her go.

Despite being superhuman, none of her abilities applied to her physicality. She was utterly helpless to prevent the woman from yanking her away, stumbling along the way as she tugged her along. But eventually, she went with it. She stopped fighting the woman's attempts at making her feel better, because oddly enough it was working.

The Crackerjack Cafe

Soliton sat in the tall cafe chair with her feet dangling in the air. Her back was rigid and her hands were in her lap. The girl's eyes were habitually sweeping the room every now and again, as her self conscious nature took hold. Occassionally, she looked down at her backpack underneath to make sure nobody had snagged it from right out underneath her.

Wouldn't be the first time.

She spoke during the idle time, when Rebecca would be sitting across from her.

"Hey, can I ask you something. It's something personal. About what just happened back there. You don't have to answer it if you don't want to."

She twiddled her thumbs.

"When you were out, how did it feel? You know? Before I....woke you up?"

She swallowed a bit, hoping the question wasn't something too heavy to ask. But Rebecca certainly was something worth interviewing.

ACTION6NEWS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soliton:

As she was perusing the cafe menu, looking for a sweet treat to munch on (and trying to forget everything that just happened a half hour ago) she heard Amani's voice drift through the aural clutter of the busy bread shop.

"Hey, can I ask you something. It's something personal. About what just happened back there. You don't have to answer it if you don't want to."

"Of course you can ask. Questions can't kill. At least that's what my editor always says."

She smiled warmly down at the girl, watching as she hesitated, playing with her hands, bridging the space between thought and speech with nervous motion.

"When you were out, how did it feel? You know? Before I....woke you up?"

It was her turn to hesitate for a beat.

"That... well it's not too personal a question. Nothing like that. I... I don't really remember... I mean, it hurt. Burned, a lot, and then it was just kind of... quiet."

She handed the menu back to the staff at the counter, pointing out the walnut brownies and coffee cake, ordering a latte and a chocolate milk, content to allow Amani to choose first and take the leftover items. Then, she turned back to the girl sitting to her right, brushing her hair away from her face, taking a moment to collect her thoughts, her breath, and her resolve.

"Now, this next part is going to sound a little crazy, and it might be. I mean, the brain does all kinds of weird stuff when it's 'closing down', I guess you could say. Anyway, I felt... warm? Warm and fuzzy, all over..."

She began to fidget, the discomfort of her own mortality sinking in as the burning pain spreading through her chest revived itself as though by subconscious command.

"First everything was dark, and then there were shapes in the darkness. My parents. And then things got a little brighter, but not really. More like my eyes started adjusting to the dark, I guess? And we were walking... walking through this little tunnel we used to go through on the way to my grandmother's house. It was still quiet, but I know they were telling me they love me. I don't know how I know, but it was... it was a feeling I got from them. It just radiated off of them, I guess. I felt... secure. Safe. Safer than I ever had. Nothing hurt, I wasn't sad, or angry, or confused. I just was. And I was safe. That's all I really knew in that moment..."

She went quiet, searching the for meaning behind her own words, but finding them a riddle.

"And then I could hear yelling, and there was a jolt. Or it could have been the jolt first, and then the sound, but I swear I heard someone crying before anything else. Well, that was followed by a searing pain in my chest, which spread pretty quick. That was you, I think."

She gave the young girl a playful shove, her lips pressing into a wry smile as she teased her.

"And now I'm having a drink and some sweets, celebrating the fact that I'm not, you know, dead. Which is nice. At least so far."

That was when the serving staff slid the colorful plates and mugs over to the pair, the scent of cinnamon and chocolate suddenly filling the air between the two.

"And its getting nicer all the time."

She rested her chin on her palm and nodded to the tray, offering the treats to the inquisitive girl.

"Why? Is this part of a book report?"

Soliton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amani sat, quietly listening to the woman as she told her tail. The girl had liked to think that she had a vivid imagination. So, when the woman told her about what dying was like, she felt it as best as she could. The concept of what amounted to something of a peaceful oblivion had begun to strike a cord with the the girl.

And ironically, she had made peace with it. Her optimistic mind, oddly enough seemed to cling to this concept. That the way that those people went out was painless. And that they would all probably go to some place better. The only part that remained would be the people who'd mourn them. It'd probably be just be just best to not talk with them.

She jolted as the woman tapped her "Oh!" and mustered a smile at the fact that the woman before her was indeed alive. And that there was a tray of sweets in front of them. In a way, this had been the first instance in which she felt she had truly saved a life.

Was it really me?

Some things didn't click. Something which smelled really nice filled the air. She looked at the mug and at the scones before them, reaching for the mug with one hand and drinking it. With the liquid still in her mouth, she takes a bite.

"No nothing like that. I was just curious. I'm not exactly in school right now. It might be hard to believe, but stuff like what happened back there kinda happens to me a lot.I try to avoid it. But it happens."

Like someone's always out to get me.

She sighs.

"Stuff like this, noooooooot so much."

She smiles subtly and takes another bite.

"I don't really wanna be in school or around my parents with stuff like this happening. But I kinda get by. Free electricity, you know? I've managed to work some stuff out with some people and help out some other people who are having a hard time. Not really superhero stuff. Like normal stuff. A job. But with superpowers."

She blinks looking around for a few moments.

"I wonder why more people don't do that."

She takes a swig of her chocolate