gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

It’s hard to believe that Damian Wayne has been dead for almost a year and a half. We know Batman will be getting a Robin by the end of this story arc. The big question is which Robin? ROBIN RISES: OMEGA serves several purposes. Continuing from this month’s BATMAN AND RA’S AL GHUL #32, we get to see what happens after the big cliffhanger from that issue. The way the issue is set up, if you’re not completely up to date with the current events involving Batman and Robin, you’ll find out everything you need to know.

Peter Tomasi and Andy Kubert give us a full recap of Damian’s life and death and connection to Batman. In some ways, it’s a reassuring feeling seeing some of our favorite pre-New 52 moments with Damian and others cemented into New 52 continuity. The issue isn’t all recap as once everyone is brought up to speed, the action kicks in full force. Batman is fighting for possession of his deceased son’s body. You can see how completely driven he is and seeing him fight with some allies is cool to see. It’s not often Batman gets to be involved in a full scale battle like this. Kubert gets to cut loose and it’s a sight to see.

The stage is set for what will definitely be a crazy ride. We've seen hints of this story involving Apokolips and that opens a new door to how this story could play out. The great thing about this story is we have no idea how it will end. We know there will be "a" Robin but we're left on the edge of our seat wondering and hoping to see the return of Damian somehow.

Kubert's art is always a joy to see. The detail is amazing. Jonathan Glapion's inks are tight, highlighting that detail even more. Brad Anderson's colors shine and the flashback scenes have a nice soft touch to them.

The Bad

As great as the recap is, it last seven pages. Yes, they are seven great pages with Kubert art but for those of us already up to date, it's a little unnecessary.

It feels a little strange what the connection to Apokolips is. It's nice to see the connections with another series. There is some mystery as to Ra's al Ghul's connection and how he obtained a certain object but I assume that's something we'll find out more about as the story unfolds.

The Verdict

The story that no Batman and Robin fan can miss begins here. Actually, it began a year and a half ago. We've seen Batman try to deal with the death of Damian and the lengths he would go to to try to bring him back. A new chapter begins here. Peter Tomasi and Andy Kubert lay it all out for new and continued readers. We get some big action as things heat up with a new kink thrown into the mix. There's so many characters and a lot of fighting thrown in here. You won't want to miss how this story begins. Thankfully we'll only have to wait until next week for the next chapter.

burningzeroX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By burningzeroX

Overall I loved the issues but the one thing I loved but am confused about . . .

SPOILERS . . .

This establishes that Final Crisis happened or at least Bruce died at the hands of Darkseid and the Omega Sanction but it seems that this Bruce has only met Darkseid once in the New 52 and that was at the beginning of Justice League.

Other than that I am loving the art and story so far.

psydave2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope Tidus is ok after that kick

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

That last page had me going "F### yeah! Do it, Batman!"

Can't wait to see more.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who is the new Robin?

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By the_tree

@redwingx: We won't know until December. But I feel that anyone besides Damian would just be weird.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

@redwingx: It's not necessarily a "new" Robin. Tomasi has said:

Let’s just say that we are most definitely bringing back a Robin for Batman’s 75th anniversary.

ShadowHuntR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why don't they just clone another little brat?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#9  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Batman should have broken his hands

yambaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shazam was written as an idiot.. It didn't do the character justice.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yambaron: He is a kid inside, it just shows more in the New 52

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@burningzerox: IIRC Cyborg's Boom Tubes sometimes send the JL to Apokolips. It could have happened there

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By longbowhunter

@burningzerox: Same thing occurred to me. That's muddled New 52 continuity for you.

And I agree with Tony, the first several pages were integral if your just joining us. But really long winded for longtime readers.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

So based on the description here, this "one-shot" directly follows and directly leads into B&R... making it not really a one-shot at all. Why not just release this as an annual?

BruceWayne19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really a great issue, since batman got sent back in time by darkseid ras probably acquired it sometime in the past and held I to it. And the fact that batman is going back to apokolypse to face darkseid again is exciting. I expect big things coming up in this series. And hell, if it's got Kubert sort in it there is no way it can be bad.

burningzeroX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In other news highlight of the story for me was Bruce finally breaking the tension with Luthor. That alone was almost worth another start to make it 5!

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Death already feels cheap in comics why should I care about a character dying if there just going to bring them back a year later?

Protoflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the issue, but as someone who is not/wasn't interested in the "Quest for robin" story arc in Batman&Robin, I felt a little betrayed and tricked into believing that robin would at least come back to life or do something in this issue. I just wish that this was another issue in Batman&Robin, or a Batman & Robin annual or something. And not another random issue. It just left me feeling ripped off and tricked out of my five dollars. Also, This issue didn't feel any longer than a regular issue to me, maybe it was the four/six page (I forget how long but it was long) recap page. But the price of this issue felt completely unjustified.

Again, I enjoyed the issue, I just got really pissed off because of the price though. I'd of given this issue a 3.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@protoflash: But they had already said in a number of different interviews that Robin would not be returning until the end of the year. Even in the future solicits they still mention him trying to revive Robin.

daddylo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was such a great issue. I've been aware of what's going on with Damian's death and Batman's quest to bring him back but I haven't read any of the Batman and ... series and this issue did a great job of informing new readers of what's going on. I liked that the events of Final Crisis are mentioned in the book, it does muddle with were exactly the New 52 takes place as far as overall timeline goes, but it's still nice to see DC isn't completely abandoning history. This issue alone has me hyped for a story that I originally didn't give much thought to. Even if this results in Damian coming back and a return to the status quo, it seems like the ride to getting there is going to be a fun one.

Krypton-115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Krypton-115

I'm calling it: Batman will revive Damian only to find out he is possesed by some crazy guy from Apokolips. This honestly would not suprise me at all.

Protoflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrtummytumms: Still, as someone who doesn't pay attention to solicits and other news like that to try to avoid all possible spoilers, I would have appreciated it if they had just made this an annual or something, so then I wouldn't have spent my money on the conclusion to a story arc I had no interest in in the first place

Superbat420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the first few pages I was confused considering they made it seem like final crisis happened but I ignored it thinking maybe they retconned it, but in the very same issue is clearly states the only time they had a run in with darkseid was when they first formed. I'm honestly very disappointed in dc for not even caring that mistake hit the shelves

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrtummytumms: Still, as someone who doesn't pay attention to solicits and other news like that to try to avoid all possible spoilers, I would have appreciated it if they had just made this an annual or something, so then I wouldn't have spent my money on the conclusion to a story arc I had no interest in in the first place

I'm sorry but you have no one to blame but yourself.

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fallbrigade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In other news highlight of the story for me was Bruce finally breaking the tension with Luthor. That alone was almost worth another start to make it 5!

Haha, I absolutely loved that.

Definitely confused about the timeline of the flashbacks versus what happened at the beginning of the N52. Enjoyed the rest though.

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll go out on a limb and say it won't be Damian returning as Robin. I wouldn't mind if Tim returned (and thus went by Robin and dropped the whole RED Robin thing) even if temporarily just for the 75th anniversary. I don't really think this will happen, but I wouldn't mind it. I'm still wondering what's going to happen with Future's End and that cover that showed what appeared to be Heretic on it. I still think there's a possibility that Heretic will be Batman 666 and not necessarily Damian (at least not the original Damian, as we know Heretic is a clone).

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By the_tree

@master_thief:

Godfrey made off with Damian's body and the Chaos Shard. Batman tried to follow him, but the Justice League came in and ruined it. And Batman had this to say to the Justice League.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Five star issue. Great action and story, and perfect buildup for the trip to Apokolips. Now we know just how serious batman is.

But I actually do think that the recap was necessary. Who's to say everyone read that 40 year old issue when batman fought Ra's? Or that they read all of batman and son and batman RIP and Batman inc and final crisis and the return of Bruce Wayne and the Batman and robin series with dick as batman? That's a lot of stuff that a lot of fans probably did not read completely, and it was nice to have a quick recap that was done with style for those of us that did read all of that.

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

_ANDY_CAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this comics makes Batman able to beat Darkseid that will be annoying. Batman has been taking down too many super powered characters lately and i know the writers might be going that direction.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_tree: there have been five other robins, why would someone other than Damian be weird?

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: Because Tomasi's entire storyline has pointed all signs toward Damian, with no hints at a new character nor an existing character taking up the mantle. From a storytelling standpoint, anyone other than Damian would feel too out of left field.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_tree: Oh I see what you mean. I kind of hope its not Damian though. That's too predictable and dc likes to surprise people. But then again I don't see how someone else can enter this storyline with it going to apokolips so I guess I agree with you.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Batman punching Shazam.....Priceless.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By the_tree

@jayc1324: Yeah. My bet's on some sort of altered Damian. Though I'm hoping it's normal Damian and Tomasi's just being coy in interviews so as not to spoil the surprise.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Let me know when they reveal who the new Robin is.

ANd then I will be looking forward to DC killing him or her also.

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The involvement of the final crisis event has me confused. Even if FC didn't happen but Batman still died by Darkseid, it isn't supported with it being stated the two only met once. Also I love this Batman, A man willing to do anything to get his son back.

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah, this issue was very schizophrenic in wanting us to remember that final crisis happened yet they've only meet Darkseid one. Other than that I may have to start picking up the regular series again.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Overall I loved the issues but the one thing I loved but am confused about . . .

SPOILERS . . .

This establishes that Final Crisis happened or at least Bruce died at the hands of Darkseid and the Omega Sanction but it seems that this Bruce has only met Darkseid once in the New 52 and that was at the beginning of Justice League.

Other than that I am loving the art and story so far.

Yeah, at first I was like, "okay...so DC just confirmed that everything that happened during Grant Morrison's run...or at least the later half of his run with Bruce's death, Dick becoming Batman, and Bruce's return...is officially canon still." But then Batman makes the comment about apparently having only faced Darkseid once back when the JL first formed five years ago...so once again DC is saying one thing is canon, yet it's also not...so confusing. -__-

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Batman decked Luthor HA take that fan boy Johns.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer: I thought DC realised the mistake they made with the Batman continuity and retconned a lot of stuff (including extending Batman's career length).

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By deaditegonzo

Batman should have broke his fist on Shazams face. And Lex was right, Wonder Woman's apology was unnecessary. Batman got pretty "G**Damn Batman" in this.

Oh yeah, Continuity is totally jacked. They should have done a real clean slate.

soumya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So during the past six years..

1)Zero year happened.

2)Batman Incorporated happened.

3)Robins happened.

4)Final crisis happened(sort of).

guess, DC really have messed up the recent continuity

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soumya: Have you read Nightwing's Secret Origin? It looks like his parents died, he became Batman's ward, and he mastered being Robin in one year. And then left.

soumya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soumya said:

@deaditegonzo: yup..I mean what the hell!right?

Its infuriating. This was supposed to make the universe clearer and less intimidating for new readers, but if I was a new reader i'd find this more convoluted than the old universe.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@maccyd said:

@war_killer: I thought DC realised the mistake they made with the Batman continuity and retconned a lot of stuff (including extending Batman's career length).

Like Green Lantern, Batman's history has been one of the most confusion since the reboot. DC hasn't done much to explain what is and isn't still canon, letting writers (*cough!* Grant Morrison *cough!*) just continue on as if pre-New 52 stories are still canon. This issue started off showing us that Batman did indeed die, literally how he died at the hands of Darkseid and his Omega Beams. The problem is that later on in the issue, Batman implies that the only time he faced Darkseid was five years ago when the Justice League, so it makes the earlier part where we see Batman about to get hit by an Omega Beam confusing.

soumya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: Chronologically Dick's parents died.He mastered being robin for one year.Then he became robin.Then Nightwing.He donned the batcape for a year then.After that he became nightwing again.forever evil happened and he goes solo now on.Looks to me it takes at least 10-12 years.Don't you think?

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer: Yeah, the continuity would be a lot less confusing if Grant Morrison wasn't allowed to continue Batman Inc.