Why You Should Read Prez: Corndog in Chief

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

It's 2016. It's an election year, and unless you've been in a cave with your hand stuck in your ears, then you know there's a mad-dash for the White House. However, this whole race to become the next President can get pretty silly and frankly, annoying. Luckily, on Wednesday, February 3, DC comics is releasing the first collected volume of Prez by Mark Russell and Ben Caldwell.

No Caption Provided

The first trade contains issues #1-6 of Prez, which tells the story of Beth Ross, a 19-year-old girl who gets her hair caught in a corn dog fryer and eventually becomes President of the United States, after being elected by social media. Does that sound ridiculous? Well, it is, in all the best ways possible.

Believe it or not, Prez is an incredibly intelligent book that takes a satirical look at politics, mainly everything wrong with the government from the election process to how bills are passed. Writer Mark Russell hits on all the points that are obviously important to him and if you have any interest in the government, these are probably all important to you as well. But hey, that description makes this book sound like you're turning on a 24-hour news channel and being screamed at by some talking head wearing an American flag pin on their lapel. Well, Prez also has that, but I cannot stress enough that this book is more of a humorous take on politics and not a politics book.

No Caption Provided

Beth Ross is up not only against the media and the world, there's also a battle against corporations as well. While it seems like a lot of this book is actually just the writer's viewpoints thrown into a story, it actually all makes a lot of sense and while it can be really silly at times, there are some great, enlightening moments here, especially with the last couple of issues where President Ross has to figure out how to get "Big Pharmaceutical" to care about the American people.

The story and the world are dense without feeling like the reader needs an info dump to get through it. A part of what makes it such an ease to read is the humor element that's added along with the art from Ben Caldwell, inks from Mark Morales, and colors by Jeremy Lawson. This artist team amplifies the fun element contained within the story and makes it a joy to read.

No Caption Provided

In addition to the first six issues of the story, there will be some supplementary material, such as sketches and character designs from Caldwell. What Russell and Caldwell do with the reinvention of this "groovy" 70s DC character is fantastic and what makes Prez such a delight to read is that it's refreshing to see something so different from the traditional DC comic books, which are mostly dominated by super-heroes.

The book may be a bit more out there, but it's worth every penny. The trade hits comic book stores on Wednesday, February 3, and it retails for $14.99.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Prez seems like a political comedy that would be on the CW.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By judasnixon

It's the comic that makes you say out loud "Wait DC is printing this?"

ia0delond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

it's great.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome for Adult swim show

Avatar image for biasednewsposts
Biasednewsposts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never understood this. Not buying (literally).

Ando123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really miss this series... the cliffchanger at the end let me wanting for more.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8 the_stegman  Moderator

Great series it should be a show.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Great article

Kid_jakeriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great article. I might buy the TP, the art looks pretty good too.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 owie  Moderator

This was a great comic, I loved it and my daughter loved it (although be warned it is not an all ages book, there's stuff I had to sort of ignore or cover up while reading with her). The next arc should be great too, pick this up to be ready for part 2. It's hilarious and the art has a nice style

Interesting to see the pencils, actually. It shows how important the inking is on this book.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

It's a good series

~MiB

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really like this series. It'a pretty good.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just bought issues 4-6 at my local shop last week and looking forward to finishing it :)