The definitive origin for Power Girl

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Power Girl is the original Kryptonian on the Justice Society, showing up in the 40's with the JSA and actually an ancestor of Kara and Kal(Which would explain the same name) who was sent to Earth to avoid a coup attempt by one of Zod's ancestors, but was given a full VR childhood and so on(Like usual), and landed when she's physically in late teens. Adopted into the JSA, she takes the name Karen Starr and due to her Kryptonian physiology she's still active in modern day and barely looks like she's in her 30's.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

?

So this is your fanfiction version of Power Girl?

I prefer a PeeGee who was a adoptive daughter of Lois and Clark (the only good thing about her new 52 character) and joined the JSA after it was re-established since they were forced into retirement from MaCarthyists.

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just to try and clean this forum out a bit, and move things along, I'll point out that PG doesn't have a definitive origin. That she's from Krypton, or rather Krypton 2 at the moment, (I'm kind of hoping they'll change that when they reintroduce her and the JSA, which also means I still hope they will reintroduce her), sure. Beyond that though, the details are contradictory. She's either a baby when she leaves Krypton, or she's not. She either gets her education in a Kryptonian ship, or on Krypton.

And so on. She's one of those characters who really could use a miniseries just to establish a definitive origin story, (and of course I favor having her have had a life on Krypton before it's destruction, rather more than Supergirl had).

MrAugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I could I'd wave a wand and have Tom King write and Jason Fabok draw such a mini series.

In any event I love the idea and am open to her origin being more settled and explained.

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, since PG looks like she'll be back in some fashion on July 10th in Young Justice strangely, (which IIRC is set a bit in the future??), this looks like a good time to debate if she should get a new origin, and why, and which origins do you favor.

I would say that she does need a new origin, being from the Earth Two universe just ghettoizes her, making her the oddball, and not in a good way. It enables DC to just ignore her or not use her correctly, as it implies she's a lesser character than the mainstream universe ones.

Seems a bit odd I know, but it seems to have been how DC has handled her in the past. Which origin she should have conflicts me. IMO, a new origin story is needed to flesh her character out, and also to give her a definitive role to play in the DCU that fans can buy and get behind.

Personally, I'm in favor of simply transplanting her basic origin (being from Krypton 2) to being from Krypton Prime or One or whatever they're calling it now. That instantly mainstreams her while keeping the Krypton origin, which has proven overwhelmingly more popular than her Atlantis reboot. But the way to explain her AND Supergirl as being from the same universe needs some explaining, and she needs to be different enough from both Supergirl and Superman to not get lost in either of their shadows.

For me, that negates simply making her just another rando Kryptonian. That too would make her much less important, since no other Kryptonian characters are AS important as the Els, and few are important at all, meaning you don't care as much about PG in that case, and by you, I mean mainly the people at DC making the decisions. If she's not an El, then she needs to be another Kryptonian important enough to warrant being at least an equal to the Els, if not a superior.

Of course, you can get around that by simply making her an El herself, just a different relationship to Superman than cousin. Older sister maybe? Can't think of another relative from the present time who could fit the bill, and depicting PG as younger than Superman need not be a problem if you just have her be in some form of stasis or time dialation as the explanation---as you would be in close proximity to a black hole. Or you could make her an El from the past, perhaps an explorer to give her a unique niche among the Kryptonians. Perhaps an older sister in the Kryptonian military making her the premier badass among the Kryptonians. Maybe even special forces, or some sort of Kryptonian supersoldier, which would give you the side benefit of being able to explore perhaps in a mini what a Kryptonian version of the Captain America supersoldier program would look like.

Another possibility occurs to me from reading the fine one-shot Last God of Krypton, which showcased Cythonna, the evil queen of the gods of Krypton, the Goddess of the void, who appears on Earth and starts kicking butt, with Lex trying to ally with her, only to be so terrified of her after a few seconds encounter with her leaves him unable to shake her mental control and with a dead thug, and Superman being completely overpowered by her. In the end, he figures out her weakness and exploits it with the help of Lois. The point is that she DID have children with Rao in the story, wherein it's also explained that The Gods of Dawn, the gods of Krypton, were mostly killed or hurt in the final war with Cythonna when her evil nature was detected. Her children were all described as "Monsters of ice and rime", perhaps PG could be the one who turned out right.

My problem is that I don't know which of those if any I like. What do you guys think?

MrAugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Making Supergirl and Power Girl sisters makes sense to me and would explain the strong resemblance, and yet they are distinct. How often do you see super hero sisters? Could be a fun mini series showing sibling dynamic.

I'd be fine with many ways, I just want her to stay Kyrptonian.

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mraugen said:

Making Supergirl and Power Girl sisters makes sense to me and would explain the strong resemblance, and yet they are distinct. How often do you see super hero sisters? Could be a fun mini series showing sibling dynamic.

I'd be fine with many ways, I just want her to stay Kyrptonian.

But there would be a problem with that; you'd have to rename one of the characters, and Supergirl would likely be the one who keeps the name "Kara". Solve that and it'd be a good origin.

ValentinWard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should keep Kara as a tie to the pre-New 52 universe. Let her have those memories and experiences, but don't bog down the story with them. She needs to be the ultimate exile. Not just the Last Daughter of Krypton, but of a parallel Krypton.

Someone mentioned her being sisters with Supergirl. I'm fine with that if it's more figurative than literate.

The past continuity is your strength, DC. Don't throw it away any more than you already have.

LukaDoncicmvp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My fav female character back when she was voluptuous.