inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

PLANET HULK captures the fun and awe of 80s adventure films and jam packs it with familiarity via Marvel characters in a not-so familiar setting: Battleworld. In the second issue, Steven Rogers and Devil meet Doc Green and are on the way to the Mud Kingdom to take down the Red King, even though Rogers is much more interested in finding Bucky.

In addition, we learn a little bit about Rogers' past with Bucky and it's not what the traditional 616 fans are used to. Rogers wasn't the first Super Soldier. It seems Sam Wilson was and while Rogers and Bucky were escaping the bombings in the Forgotten Kingdom, they saw a sign to enroll in the super soldier program. The flashback breaks up the issue and gives the reader a nice look into the relationship between Steven and Bucky, which makes Steven's search for Bucky a bit more meaningful.

Sam Humphries does a fine job with the dialogue in this issue. Doc Green has such a distinctive voice and his personality really shines through his dialogue, even though he doesn't always have the most "shiny" personality. His dialogue is almost comical, at times, with just the was he says things. I loved the moment where Doc Green called Devil his "Steed." I cannot tell you why, but it was comical to see someone who looks like the Hulk, dressed in post-apocalyptic gear, talks like he's from the Middle Ages.

Finally, Marc Laming and Jordan Boyd work wonders with the art here. It's clean, vibrant, exciting, and full of amazing detail. I loved what Boyd did with the colors during the flashback scene, by pulling back a little and giving the colors a duller look, really conveying a sense of the past.

The Bad

The biggest problem with the issue is that it moves a bit slow here. Not too much happens, in the grand scheme of things.

The Verdict

There's a great sense of adventure in PLANET HULK that we don't get to see in a lot of comics, which hearken back to adventure films of the past. There's a lot to love about this issue, including the gorgeous art and the fact this story really stands on its own merits and doesn't rely heavily on what's going on in the main SECRET WARS book. The only downside is that there isn't too much going on in the issue. I have a feeling it's something that will read much better in trade rather than as a stand alone. Overall, I highly recommend this issue.

Avatar image for currentthor2015
CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I hope Steve is actually gunna fight some Hulks soon

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It was a good issue, but the whole thing itself is a bit overrated to be honest. Still good, but a little bit overblown. The art is great though, never even heard of Marc Laming before but he is doing wonders with the book so far.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm gud

Avatar image for thekidfliessolo
thekidfliessolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By thekidfliessolo

All these tie in books for Secret Wars is getting crazy. I have been getting the Secret Wars main book and picking up any variants along the way of the others. I felt the same with Convergence. What sucks is you think I gotta read that so I don't miss anything. Then after you read it, you realize there was nothing to miss that connected to the main story. Maybe I am wrong here and in the minority when it comes to the tie-in books, but I am looking forward to the end of Secret Wars.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll give it a read tonight.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@thekidfliessolo: none of the tie-ins have anything to do with the main plot. The tie-ends just give you " what's happening in realms in Battleworld".

MrPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this the same "Doc Green" from 616 or simply a different version?

swayzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its a different doc green

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another great issue. This is still my favorite Secret Wars tie-in so far.

Mr. Kamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@sophia89: If the big reveal when they finally reunite is one big sloppy gay love kiss...i'm gonna laugh so hard. That'd just be great.

Buuut, I doubt it.

Anyway, I love this book. It's fun. I really want Cap to ride on a T-Rex when Secret Wars is over now, though...

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

@sophia89 said:

Don't want to tick anyone off, but didn't cap and bucky seem a bit close.

I know, right? I'm glad I'm not the only one left with the same impression.

phocracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Eh, not much aside from an alternate Cap riding a T-Rex in a planet of Hulkly things. I'll stick to Old Man Logan, Thors, and 1872 (Hopefully 1872 has enough substance to keep me purchasing). I "might" continue this adventure just because it's simply that : an adventure. Not the greatest but **** it, it is a Rogers going against Hulkly things. Just don't make this a lame Star Wars wannabe with a Rogers.