Old Man Logan #3

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

As part of the Secret Wars tie ins, this is remains a great choice for a mini with an interesting direction. Rather than just continue the story in the Old Man Logan timeline, Brian Michael Bendis has taken the character to a different place. Where as most other character on Battleworld are aware they reside on a world comprised of different domains put together by Doom, Logan was surprised to find a different "world" when he ventured beyond the borders of his own world. Seeing him venture into and interact with the Age of Apocalypse characters was fascinating.

The problem is, Logan's time there is much too short. He barely got a chance to interact and figure out what was going on. Old Man Logan versus Apocalypse? That's something I'd love to see more of. Logan suddenly ends up in a different domain--one whose series hasn't really been able to capture my interest. We end up with more of the same--Logan tries to adjust to seeing different versions of people he knows and they try to figure out who he is and how he got there from a different domain..

Despite this, Andrea Sorrentino's art and Marcelo Maiolo's colors continues to blow me away. With some events forced to be cut short a little, you can't help but grit your teeth in frustration over not being able to see Sorrentino cut loose with some events.

It's really starting to feel like this book is setting things up for the upcoming OLD MAN LOGAN series after Secret Wars ends. There's a feeling of the story jumping around from place to place. Logan is making his way across different domains and we can assume he'll eventually arrive in what's to become the 616 world. Bendis is treating us to pitting Logan up against different versions of characters but the brief encounters leaves us wanting more. Sorrentino and Maiolo's art and colors are fantastic and keeps you glued to the issue.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Bendis strikes again...
Bendis strikes again...

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

@sprior93: I have to wonder what the editorial take on this series is. Others may get to flesh out their little corner of Battleworld. This one may have to set Logan up traveling around in order to get ready for the new series instead of just focusing on Old Man Logan kicking butt. Just my theory.

yankeefan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm so glad Bendis isn't writing this series after Secret Wars. Lemire understands how to write for Sorrentino by letting him cut loose with action scenes like you said.

Ando123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really love the art and wrting but the series is kinda going nowhere

MultipleMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bet old man Logan wishes another time traveling version of himself would take him in a cave and kill himself just to get out of this book.

lmothander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By lmothander

Is this like House of M where Logan retained his memories? He did not seem to understand where he was or who Doom was.

Avatar image for greenlanterndeadpool
GreenLanternDeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bendis!!!!!!!

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I agree. this was way to short

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

never read the first old man logan story line, but this time around for secret wars i feel this mini series is actually one of the few SW titles are they enjoyable and have some substance to them, rather then just seeming like something just quickly thrown together just to make some sales.

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too bad. First issue showed a lot of promise. I'll still pick this up though.

Sampsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I've been picking up a few SW tie ins and this one so far has been my favorite (Where Monsters Dwell a close second). I kind of like how he's bouncing from one realm to the other. It gives me some insight into some of the realms I wouldn't have known about otherwise. And the end of this issue really sets the stage for what should be an action-packed issue 4. Of the first three issues so far, no. 1 was by far the best, but no. 3 isn't too far behind.

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

I like that Bendis is still making this a sort of road-trip story, much like the first Old Man Logan story. So it does feel like a sequel. I mean, The first Old Man Logan story was pretty much just Logan exploring this bizarre world where Super-villains won. This is the exact same thing, except Logan is exploring Battleworld instead.

The difference though, is that the first Old Man Logan story had 8 issues to explore the world and that allowed them to also slow down and develop characters. This story only has 4, I think. Which means a lot of it is going to feel rushed. Logan isn't really changing as a character or moving towards anything in this new story. He's just kinda wandering around. I get the feeling if Bendis had 8 issues to have Wolverine explore Battleworld, this series would feel better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also wanted to mention that Logan has been shirtless for three issues now -- that's my one good takeaway from this otherwise mediocre tie-in.

BlueJay2324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lmothander said:

Is this like House of M where Logan retained his memories? He did not seem to understand where he was or who Doom was.

Now that you mention it, that would make sense. We can just assume that since he was like the "only" hero of his timeline that no one would have been there for the incursion that destroyed his reality. He would have just gone about his business when his world became a part of Battleworld seemingly believing that everything was as it was before. The only thing in question is the whole regent/lord of his territory, which Doom might have just looked over since that domain probably seemed fairly unsustainable and lack any natural resources to contribute to the rest of the world. But that's just a thought.

BlueJay2324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When it comes to the tie-ins the thing I look for is how much I'm enjoying them and if I'm going to double dip after everything is said and done. So far titles like A-Force, Planet Hulk and Squadron Sinister have all been titles I'd want to pick the trade up for after the event ends. On the other hand I have the feeling that this series is just setting up Old Man Logan to be use to seeing different versions of characters he knew prior to this event which hasn't been making for an interesting story. Seeing what Jeff Lemire has done with his few issues of Hawkeye, I'm thinking I might really enjoy Old Man Logan when he picks up the title. I also might go out and find his run on Green Arrow to see his interaction with Sorrentino, since I haven't really been fully enjoying the art here and what I've seen of his Green Arrow work is pretty nice.

mse2us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just don't get it. How can anyone say that the visuals in Old Man Logan are good? I understand that artist have certain styles but when the art combined with the color art makes it hard to tell what's happening on the pages\panels and I have to go back and forth between the panels several times and still can't tell what's going on then it's a fail. If you compare comic books to novels - novels have no pictures because the words and dialogue are so detailed that they paint a picture of the scenes in readers head so pictures aren't needed. That's not the case with comic books. Comic books have very little words and dialogue per page and Its the pictures that makes up for lack of detailed words\dialogue and BOTH combined make the story understandable and entertaining. If you can't make out the complete scenes including the background on the panel and some scenes are almost impossible to make out then it's basically like you're reading a comic book without the pictures.

There's a reason for 1080p and 4K TVs and cameras- it's because most people want the clearest most visually detailed pictures. If that weren't true then we'd still be watching black and white movies and using instant cameras. Why comic book companies allow drab, two toned art where the backgrounds are muddled to the point of not being able to make them out is beyond frustrating. If it weren't for the fact that Wolverine is my favorite character I would have dropped it after the first issue.

phocracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@mse2us: Well, I didn't have your problem. The visuals are good.

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mse2us: Well, I hate Wolverine, and find this book interesting ONLY for visual! And for the Battleworld "tour", a thing that I love :)

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Cave_Duck

@mse2us: I'm the same with this one, it gets confusing in places. This issue I had a particular problem with Logan falling into the Armour Wars zone, it just seemed like he was dropped from a great height in the Age of Apocalpyse zone. Then suddenly he landed in a different area. Instead of being thrown over another wall.

Considering the Thor hunting him for crossing boundaries has actually thrown him over two walls so far, she's not doing a very good job!