Where are you from/What do you do?

NiteFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By NiteFly

I guess the purpose of this thread is both because I'd like to know a little more about the other users on Comic Vine (and because reading the how you discovered comic vine thread was a lot of fun to read). So:

Where are you from? What do you do? (also any other info that we may find interesting).

I'll start:

I am a 24 year old graduate student studying computer science in Kentucky. My main jobs right now are being a guitar/music theory teacher (I teach out of my home), photoshop for a local photographer, and some coding/web work here and there.

Hobbies are guitar, computer stuff, comic books (duh), watching movies, and fencing.

Le Francais

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Le Francais

Obviously I'm french :)

I live in Paris but I'm planning to move to Montreal in a few months.

I'm a production designer for music videos, commercials, TV sets and stuff like that on french television.

Jagwaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Jagwaar

Currently living in Manhattan. I'm a 3rd year medical student at SUNY Downstate Medical Center in Brooklyn, NY.

Chediablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Chediablo

I live in Puebla, Mexico. 22 years of age. I'm a Graphic and Multimedia Design student. I work as a computer salesman and repairman and I also do some stuff for a local TV station, mainly graphics for the evening news and help with the maintenance of the corporate intranet.

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

Well, I'm from merry old England and live in a little town called Bedford (which as I mentioned on another thread, is near where they filmed Batman Begins). I'm a lab technician, but I mostly work with food and not super power inducing chemicals (I keep trying to get them). True to the stereotype, most of my work has involved tea and in my last job, beer.

valinorbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By valinorbob

I am a Web Developer for GarageGames, in Oregon. I've been out of touch with comics for while since me previous job didn't pay very well. I'm hoping to start collecting again, if I can figure out what's going on these days. I also play lots of video games.

Avatar image for fark_weaselcramp
Fark Weaselcramp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Fark Weaselcramp

33 year old computer programmer in PA near Philly. Used the theme from Batman Beyond for our introduction at our wedding reception.

Avatar image for captain_cascader
Captain Cascader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Captain Cascader

We're in San Francisco and are quite obviously web developers. We used to work for a big company building big sites and now we're on our own building smaller sites.

I'm 27 now, grew up near Washington DC and moved to LA when I was 22 to go to film school. I ended up building a site about movies instead (guzzlefish.com, which no longer exists) which was bought by CNET in 2004. The deal got me into San Francisco and it's where I met up with Ethan. He and I worked together on TV.com and MP3.com sleeping under our desks as we put together big monster sites with 3-4 other dudes.

Predictably we got kind of sick of working for a big company and left early in 2005 to do this stuff. ComicVine is the site I've wanted to build since I was 17 years old. It took me 10 years to have the guts to do it.

Raif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Raif

Wow, no wonder I am not as good at this stuff as some of you people.

I am 22, just a high school grad from California but now living in Oklahoma. I currently work for a call center called convergys on the Directv project. I started as a customer service rep and now train new people to take calls and how do be what I was.
Post Edited:2007-01-13 16:20:26

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#10  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

I'm 19, a first year in college and I'm in Florida. Right now I'm trying my hardest not to grow up.

Avatar image for captain_cascader
Captain Cascader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By Captain Cascader

What are you studying buckshot?

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#12  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Not sure yet. I took a bunch of social science classes my first semester and those seemed really interesting to me so I wanna continue that sort of thing, just don't know for sure.

Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13  Edited By Ms. Invisible

NiteFly says:

"My main jobs right now are being a guitar/music theory teacher (I teach out of my home)"

Ooh that's awesome. I'll respond to your quote in my answer. And how long and have you been playing guitar?

Herro, from Australia (did you know I'm a koala in disguise?), I'm turning 17 this year. w00t w00t! I have just discovered that to get my P plates in driving, I have to 18 now, and I can only carry one passenger, which makes me very sad. Not that I am learning to drive anyway. Saving up for a bike. :D

I'm your average student in high school, and 'tis my last year. I'm not too concerned about final exams... we'll see, I always get nervous during the last minute. One of the subjects I study at school is history, both ancient and modern, but the teachers make it boring. I'm best learning on my own.

I'm also in a band called Audial Imagery! Erm yeah, there's the drummer (moi), a guitarist and we also have a second guitarist, but her first instrument is the piano. I can also use Photoshop, so I make sigs and wallpapers sometimes.

ScoodleDaddle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ScoodleDaddle

I'm 18 years old, and living in San Diego, California. I want to move back to Minnesota, but it'll have to wait.

I graduated last year, and right now I'm working almost 24/7 to support my mom and my girlfriend, and so that I can have the time to continue my education. I'm working on getting into graphic design/advertising/marketing, but more ideally I'd like to hone my more artistic techniques and get into comic books professionally.

Noir_Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Noir_Dark

Hello my name is Noir.

I live just south of the Arctic Ocean in Ontario Canada

I’m a surveyor (that means I measure dirt)

I want to be a rock star and/or a comic star

I would be pursuing these goals more aggressively but for the last three years I’ve been busy building a house for me and my girlfriend

We have too many pets

I am an animal rights activist. So I don’t eat animals

I am in the process of figuring out ways to lessen my environmental footsteps. So I’m seriously thinking about giving up traditional paper comics.

I like to drink beer

NiteFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NiteFly

So far I'd have to say that we are some of the coolest people on the planet. Hey, Wengistein, is there anywhere I can listen? As far as your question I have been playing for about a decade, but the first year(ish) wasn't too serious.

"but more ideally I'd like to hone my more artistic techniques and get into comic books professionally."

I'll allow this, but on one condition: that you use ScoodleDaddle as your moniker so that when you become famous I can tell everyone that I meet that I talked to you on the internet : ) Anyway, that's pretty sweet. Hope it works out for you.

ScoodleDaddle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ScoodleDaddle

Haha, will do.

Chediablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Chediablo

Any chance we could see some of your stuff, ScoodleDaddle?

HankyChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By HankyChief

I'm a 17 year old student in High School. I live in California. The elusive G-Man poses as the a math teacher in a class I take.

Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ms. Invisible

NiteFly says:

"Hey, Wengistein, is there anywhere I can listen? As far as your question I have been playing for about a decade, but the first year(ish) wasn't too serious."

Listen? No one in the band is employed right now, so we're pretty low on money. The point is that we don't have any money to buy mics for my drumset (or for any other instrument). I could perhaps record on my friend's cam, but it would really low quality of course. So if you could sit through low quality, then yeah, I would be happy to let you listen.

Ten years: PHWOAR! Harhar, that's awesome. You would definitely shred like no tomorrow. :P I've been playing my instrument for about 3 years and 10 months now.

MShades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MShades

I'm an import English teacher in Kyoto, Japan. I've been here over six years now, and I'll probably be here for a while more. Mostly because I really like it here, but partly because I made a joke back in September of 2000 about not returning if George Bush wins the election, and my friends are holding me to it. Originally from New England, studied politics and theatre back in the day....

ScoodleDaddle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ScoodleDaddle

Chediablo says:

"Any chance we could see some of your stuff, ScoodleDaddle?"

I'll point you to my profile, where it says that I'm a "shoddy" cartoonist. The thing this, is that I've actually never taken an art class. People always think I have, but everything I know I've taught myself. So nothing I do really fits into the general conventions or rules of drawing thumb. Also, I lack fundage, so I don't have any fancy tools, just a pencil and paper.

I'd put some of my slightly better looking stuff up here, but I have no scanner at the moment. Or enough paper to spare.
Post Edited:2007-01-14 05:57:09

NiteFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NiteFly

Wengistein says:

You would definitely shred like no tomorrow.

Ha, I don't know about all that but I do enjoy what I do.

ScoodleDaddle: I'm looking forward to seeing some.
Post Edited:2007-01-14 11:42:10

NiteFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NiteFly

Bump. Come on, there are more registered users than this.

SimpleMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SimpleMan

I'm 27 and from the Detroit area. I work for a photography studio doing several things: sports photography, resident computer nerd, and a bunch of other stuff that gets too tedious to mention. In the past year I've been getting back into comics after a gap of about 15 years.

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

Hey, Im 33 and have a wife and baby girl. I've lived in the San Francisco Bay area for 10 years now. Before that I went to college in Illinois (where I met my wife) and I grew up in New York state about 2 hours north of Manhattan.

I'm a self taught web engineer, I graduated college in 97 with an English degree and literally didnt know how to turn on a computer when I arrive in california as long-haired unemployable college grad traveller. Dave (Captain Cascader) and I build web sites. I've worked for a slew of internet companies throughout the dot boom, then for myself after the dot bomb! I met Dave at CNET 2 years 3 years ago, and a year ago we left and decided to try building sites on our own.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#27  Edited By gmanfromheck

I'm a thirty-something year old living north of San Fran. I married Red L.A.M.P.'s sister some time ago and have the mutant power to teach Mathematics to high schoolers. I have a three and a half year old girl and have been reading comics pretty much non-stop since 1984.

Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ms. Invisible

G-Man says:

"I'm a thirty-something year old living north of San Fran. I married Red L.A.M.P.'s sister some time ago and have the mutant power to teach Mathematics to high schoolers. I have a three and a half year old girl and have been reading comics pretty much non-stop since 1984."

Does your daughter ever get curious about those comics you've got?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By gmanfromheck

She knows about them. She knows who Spider-Man, Superman, etc are. Of course she has some of the Spider-Man and friends oversized action figures. She even got the dancing Spider-Man for X-Mas. We've watched a little of Spider-Man '67 on dvd. I obviously keep the more violent stuff away from her. She loves the Krypto cartoon and has a plush of him and Bathound. I introduce her to things and let her make the choice if she's interested. Guess it's never too early to learn about them.

Shirizaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Shirizaan

I'm a 27 year old Software Engineer in Omaha, NE. No wife, no kids (don't really want any of those). :P

Mind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mind

I'm 24, I'm a Mexican't I've been travelling through europe for two months now, but tomorrow I fly back to "México lindo y querido..."

I studied literature and linguistics and now I'm looking for a Master or PhD. Maybe in english literature but I don't know yet...

Secretly I want to be a rock star and I often get together with friends and we play some loud and obnoxious noise. I do the shouting and guitar strumming.

Also I like to pretend that I can write and I've actually published some shit on the local newspaper and on a couple of magazines... As for comic writting, I got a few projects and chediablo promised he would help with the drawings, let's hope for his sake that this is true.

Lady Solbright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Lady Solbright

Hello everyone! I'm Red LAMP's wife. Him and G-Man got me into reading comics. One of my favorites is Elf Quest! I work for www.gametrailers.com and I love dogs. Oh and I'm also an artist.

NiteFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NiteFly

Hi LAMP's wife. I corrupted my girlfriend (of like six years) in the same way. When we got together I don't think she ever read a comic book. Now she has like five in my folder.

Lady Solbright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lady Solbright

tee hee...what's her fav?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By gmanfromheck

Don't forget to add your info so we can get to know you. (yeah yeah, I know we can read you bio but...)

Prodigal Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Prodigal Son

Post Deleted.

Gravnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Gravnos

I'm 20 and live on southern texas, I work as a clerk for the local college bookstore.

I'm also in college, after this semester and the summer I have one semester left!!!!

But I might drop out this semester if I get acceptied on who wants to be a superhero...

Crusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Crusader

I'm a high school senior who is getting ready to enter into the world of college where I hope to eventually get a law degree.

Avatar image for fourpower__r_i_p_
Fourpower (R.I.P)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm only 11. I've been playing guitar for four years, I read comics, and I'm from Florida. I routinely waste my 5 dollars a week on comics, which means I get two comics a week(cough, cough, unfair). I'm in sixth grade, where I am also routinely caught reading the new Justice League under For Whom The Bell Tolls and To Kill A Mockingbird. I got into comics because of Marvel's Ultimate Guide series and IGN Comics, an awesome site. My job is going to school(although I don't get paid). By the way, Prurience Man, I can't believe you just inherited a huge stack of comics. Once my grandpa asked me "Who's that guy with the S on his chest? Don't you like him? What's his name....". I'm new to Comicvine. I'm addicted to Guitar Hero and Guitar Hero II(I'm actually entering a contest in a week). My favorite comics are Civil War, Batman, Daredevil, and Justice League. I would buy more, if I had the cash. Sniff.

Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ms. Invisible

Cash is always the problem. :P

Fourpower (R.I.P)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ain't that the truth.

Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DEADPOOL

I'm 21, born and raised in Michigan.

Post Edited:2007-01-28 11:56:54

venomjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By venomjr

I live in Illinois. Currently I'm a dishwasher for Steak'N Shake. Have a bachelor's of science degree in zoology and hope to use it to eventually get a job at a zoo.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By gmanfromheck

Where abouts in IL?

Kamikaze King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Kamikaze King

I am a 37 year old comic book fan named Jol. My day job is developing software, mostly web-applications for businesses and the federal government. Outside of a passion for technology, I have a few other things that I enjoy enough to be classified as minor obsessions: television, the NFL, baseball and comic books.

I was introduced to comics at the age of 10 when I inherited a garbage bag full of books from a neighbor. They were in bad shape and not of the superhero genre (Richie Rich and Jonah Hex mainly) but it was enough to get my juices flowing. I wasn’t able to afford to sustain any real reading momentum until I got a job of my own around 15 years old. Then I was able to set up an account at a local comic shop in Richmond Virginia. They would order and keep all the titles I wanted. Being an irresponsible kid, that didn’t last too long–I didn’t make paying a priority.

Recently, I have started ordering comics online, getting a monthly delivery. I love getting my monthly shipment, usually 30-35 comics from DC and Marvel.

Dr. Fate has long been my favorite (or so I remember). While I live my daily life in the world of logic and science, when I want to escape I enjoy the world of magic. Not the tuxedo and bowsaw of a stage magician. Or even the fantasy of wizards and sorcerers in stories like Lord of the Rings. No, I want my magic to be fantasical and in the “real” world. But at the same time, I like the idea of a balance between Chaos and Order–a sense that the world isn’t random. Additionally, I spend a lot of my time in my own mind (too much probably). Dr. Fate, in most of his incarnations, served Nabu a Lord of Order and worked to maintain a balance between Chaos and Order through his magic. He also took the time to explore how the minds of people dealt with reality or magic or anything. While his Marvel counterpart, Dr. Strange, is a medical doctor and former surgeon, Dr. Fate comes across more as a therapist–albeit a cold and distant one. Finally, almost all versions of his costume kicked ass.

Prodigal Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Prodigal Son

Post Deleted.

Fourpower (R.I.P)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone younger than 11? Please?

venomjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By venomjr

G-Man says:

"Where abouts in IL?"

Peoria area

Eidolon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Eidolon

I am a 24 year old bartender/night auditor in Indiana right now. I've gotten into comics within the past four years. It should have been earlier, but thanks to my mother bringing me up Independant Fundamental Baptists, comics were evil, along with the Smurfs, Scooby-Doo, Music, and many other things. When I turned 18 she enrolled me into seminary because it was her dream to have a pastor for a son. That worked out extremley well(sarcasm). Since then I have undertook a sort of quest to find out and enjoy all the things that have been withheld. As of now I'm an aspiring writer unsure of my abilities, and a horrible speller.

Fourpower (R.I.P)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That stinks. My parents aren't really like that unless there are cops involved.