#1 Posted by magnablue (10498 posts) - - Show Bio

personally I think suicide is a terrible thing. But I also think that people should have a choice on it. If person wants to end it all then they should be allowed to. I think that if a person should look at all of the options before hand and determan whats right for them. I think it should only be for people who are truly depressed. I know people hit rough spots in their life and want to die. I've been through that. Like last week. I wanted to die. I also had a really strong urge to cut myself. But now I look back on it and I see that it was stupid.

What do you guys think?

#2 Posted by leonkarlen123 (8815 posts) - - Show Bio

It is stupid

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
#3 Edited by BeaconofStrength (12487 posts) - - Show Bio

The only way I could see myself supporting assisted suicide, is if it's for someone with a terminal illness that doesn't wish to go through and suffer the rest of their lives.

#4 Edited by magnablue (10498 posts) - - Show Bio

@beaconofstrength said:

The only way I could see myself supporting assisted suicide, is if it's for someone with a terminal illness that doesn't wish to go through and suffer the rest of their lives.

I agree. but I think that there other times that it could be reasonable.

Avatar image for naamah_obyzouth
#5 Posted by Naamah_Obyzouth (7471 posts) - - Show Bio

Try not to think about suicide too be honest.

#6 Posted by KingVenus (7522 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, Suicide is a Selfish, Cowardly, & Painful way out of life.

#7 Posted by 17th_Knight (41 posts) - - Show Bio

Hayden did this already if I recall

#8 Edited by Rouflex (35970 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll abstain myself.

Avatar image for deactivated-579ecfa921bb2
#9 Posted by deactivated-579ecfa921bb2 (4347 posts) - - Show Bio

To even think that it would be okay if the person was very depressed is completely wrong. No, they should be helped and people should be trained to see and the signs of a depressed person and to know how to help them. Now like said above me terminal illness fine but not depression.

#10 Posted by Ultragreenboy (4219 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

I'll let Dexter take this one.

#11 Posted by Leo-343 (30909 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with everything said in the OP.

#12 Posted by NotATreeABush (5004 posts) - - Show Bio

What if there is one universe on each cell of your body and when commit suicide you end billions of universes

#13 Edited by magnablue (10498 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by DBVSE7 (8197 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingvenus: I agree.

Also, I don't feel bad at all when I hear about it.. especially when it comes to that bullying crap.

#15 Posted by BlackLegRaph (5390 posts) - - Show Bio

It is an awful act.

#16 Edited by ParaChomp (1176 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel no pity and look down on those who commit it.

#17 Edited by MasterKungFu (20773 posts) - - Show Bio

not happening

#18 Posted by SC (17980 posts) - - Show Bio

I think its a pretty complicated subject and most people on average don't have the life experience, knowledge or wisdom to really discuss it well. It would be like asking people their thoughts on quantum mechanics. A difference being though, is that suicide deals with life and death, family, friends, loved ones, topics that are very important to people and play on our emotions, so many of us feel entitled to speak about it and express our views and opinions about it.

Peoples attitudes and understanding of mental health issues will always lag behind peoples attitudes and understanding of physical health. If one of our friends is shot, we can see their pain on their expression and body, we can see blood, we can hear them in pain, we will worry about them, realize something is wrong and ourselves and others, even strangers, will try and get that shot person to a hospital for help, to save them. The mental health equivalent of being shot however is incredibly easy to overlook. For many people who have experienced a lot of mental and physical pain in their lives, a lot of them talk about how mental and emotional pain is far worse, far harder to deal with, cope with, get help for, is more debilitating and straining. No only that but it can even usually exacerbate physical injury (and sever physical injury often will contribute to negative mental health conditions too)

A lot of people consider suicide cowardly, but they seem to not understand that often a suicidal person is in so much pain in the moment, that they literally can't understand or process the world like usual. Even emotionally and mentally sound and healthy people are useless at being able to plan and understand the future and consequences of actions, until they get much older. A suicidal person often experiences a disconnect so they can convince themselves that they are doing a favor to people they care about. Or of they do somehow acknowledge that some people might be hurt by their actions? It would be negligible and or the guilt of hurting others just adds more incentive to why they should commit the act. A bizarre and heartbreaking mix of guilt, honor and confusion.

The problem however with the idea of allowing people to end their life of their own volition is that most people lack the knowledge, emotional and mental restraint, understanding, foresight and experience to look at all the options. Just for things like where they might be in five years let alone the rest of their life. For small finite decisions, let alone decisions that last forever and are final. Euthanasia sidesteps some of that because the amount of pain and suffering experienced by an individual can be established by a professional and at some point the pain and suffering as well as odds for recovery and hope for that individual to ever experience alleviation, respite, relief all lead to a situation where a decision can be made ideally with the individual experienced the pain, for the most humane course of action/actions. So the ability for people to choose death has to come with a lot of conditions.

Modern day life can be pretty extreme and hard, a lot of time, even strong people can suffer for their situation, sometimes its completely out of their control, sometimes its the chemicals in their body working against them. Sometimes its stress and pressure from unfair living conditions. Sometimes its isolation and lack of adequate support network. Lots of things, no one should feel shame for such things, they just need help and are entitled to help. Of course suicide creates more victims than just the person that takes their life, losing a friend or loved one, family member to suicide is one of the hardest things to go through, but suicide is an ongoing problem, depending on how long this thread is around, and how many views it gets, statistically speaking a number of people who browse this thread are going to attempt suicide in the future. Which is incredibly sad to think about, so lets try and encourage people to get help, talk to people, look for alternatives.

#19 Posted by regiebravo (1835 posts) - - Show Bio

I understand it, I see how people can feel the urge to off themselves. I don't condone it but I don't condemn it either. It's not cowardly either, it's just ending it all because it became too much. I don't know, all I'm saying is, you can't call someone a coward for killing themselves unless you were in their position. You should have a choice if you want to kill yourself though, I mean... It's your life.

#21 Posted by magnablue (10498 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc: You always have the best responses for everything. You pretty much said what I wanted to say. But I didn't know how to phrase it. Thank you for that

#22 Posted by KingVenus (7522 posts) - - Show Bio

That's the thing about suicide. Try as you might to remember how a person lived his life, you always end up thinking about how he ended it.

#23 Posted by Ostyo (14103 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't do it. :P

#24 Posted by KingVenus (7522 posts) - - Show Bio

Each victim of suicide gives his act a personal stamp which expresses his temperament, the special conditions in which he is involved, and which, consequently, cannot be explained by the social and general causes of the phenomenon.

#25 Posted by Claymore1998 (16541 posts) - - Show Bio

#26 Posted by Claymore1998 (16541 posts) - - Show Bio

When you commit suicide you are sacrificing your relationships with your Family, Friends, Kin, etc!

That is a brilliant point.

In short, don't commit suicide just kill whoever is bugging you >_<

#27 Edited by dngn4774 (5571 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends what my alternatives are and the specifics of the scenario. In some cases it's not a bad option.

#28 Posted by ccraft (12437 posts) - - Show Bio

This comment is ignorant, ugh all of comments bug me to be frank.

#29 Posted by KingVenus (7522 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:

@kingvenus said:

How is this comment ignorant? please explain -.-

#30 Posted by Naamah_Obyzouth (7471 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc said:

I think its a pretty complicated subject and most people on average don't have the life experience, knowledge or wisdom to really discuss it well. It would be like asking people their thoughts on quantum mechanics. A difference being though, is that suicide deals with life and death, family, friends, loved ones, topics that are very important to people and play on our emotions, so many of us feel entitled to speak about it and express our views and opinions about it.

Peoples attitudes and understanding of mental health issues will always lag behind peoples attitudes and understanding of physical health. If one of our friends is shot, we can see their pain on their expression and body, we can see blood, we can hear them in pain, we will worry about them, realize something is wrong and ourselves and others, even strangers, will try and get that shot person to a hospital for help, to save them. The mental health equivalent of being shot however is incredibly easy to overlook. For many people who have experienced a lot of mental and physical pain in their lives, a lot of them talk about how mental and emotional pain is far worse, far harder to deal with, cope with, get help for, is more debilitating and straining. No only that but it can even usually exacerbate physical injury (and sever physical injury often will contribute to negative mental health conditions too)

A lot of people consider suicide cowardly, but they seem to not understand that often a suicidal person is in so much pain in the moment, that they literally can't understand or process the world like usual. Even emotionally and mentally sound and healthy people are useless at being able to plan and understand the future and consequences of actions, until they get much older. A suicidal person often experiences a disconnect so they can convince themselves that they are doing a favor to people they care about. Or of they do somehow acknowledge that some people might be hurt by their actions? It would be negligible and or the guilt of hurting others just adds more incentive to why they should commit the act. A bizarre and heartbreaking mix of guilt, honor and confusion.

The problem however with the idea of allowing people to end their life of their own volition is that most people lack the knowledge, emotional and mental restraint, understanding, foresight and experience to look at all the options. Just for things like where they might be in five years let alone the rest of their life. For small finite decisions, let alone decisions that last forever and are final. Euthanasia sidesteps some of that because the amount of pain and suffering experienced by an individual can be established by a professional and at some point the pain and suffering as well as odds for recovery and hope for that individual to ever experience alleviation, respite, relief all lead to a situation where a decision can be made ideally with the individual experienced the pain, for the most humane course of action/actions. So the ability for people to choose death has to come with a lot of conditions.

Modern day life can be pretty extreme and hard, a lot of time, even strong people can suffer for their situation, sometimes its completely out of their control, sometimes its the chemicals in their body working against them. Sometimes its stress and pressure from unfair living conditions. Sometimes its isolation and lack of adequate support network. Lots of things, no one should feel shame for such things, they just need help and are entitled to help. Of course suicide creates more victims than just the person that takes their life, losing a friend or loved one, family member to suicide is one of the hardest things to go through, but suicide is an ongoing problem, depending on how long this thread is around, and how many views it gets, statistically speaking a number of people who browse this thread are going to attempt suicide in the future. Which is incredibly sad to think about, so lets try and encourage people to get help, talk to people, look for alternatives.

That is a tad bit of a stretch. Suicide is far easier to understand than quantum mechanics. Suicide is killing oneself. I am fairly sure people can understand that easily enough. The reasons for someone to make such an epic fail, can most certainly add-up. I have depression, my life sucks, my wife left me, my boss is a horrible person, my child was taken by cancer, my entire family died in a plane crash... Life is hard. Not for some people, for all people. Having a ton of money or fame, may protect people from the harsh elements of life, but life wants to beat the heck out of these people as well. Everyone has to deal with death, no matter who you are. Death is coming for all of us, why make it easy for him. Stand up and face death with dignity.

#32 Posted by KingVenus (7522 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by Naamah_Obyzouth (7471 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingvenus: Not me personally :)

I was just listing reasons, that people commit suicide.

#34 Posted by Claymore1998 (16541 posts) - - Show Bio

Also lastly, one has to consider how hard it must have been for the person to consider suicide as an option.

I mean, its not like people consider committing suicide just for the hell of it.

While i do not believe suicide is ever the right answer, my heart goes out to anyone who is feeling bad enough to even consider the option.

#35 Posted by DBVSE7 (8197 posts) - - Show Bio

@naamah_obyzouth: Well put.

I believe suicide is really simple to understand. Taking the easy way out is cowardly (IMO).

It's not easy to face your problems I will admit. One does not know if he or she will succeed or remain in the hole they're in.

But not thinking, or just "wanting to end it all" over a situation you yourself do not know the outcome of is NO excuse.

Working with the homeless of skid row in LA. I heard a man I was working with for the past week ended his life because he "had enough with everything."

I couldn't feel bad for the fact that he killed himself, but the fact he couldn't see anything good past his situation.

#36 Edited by dngn4774 (5571 posts) - - Show Bio

@naamah_obyzouth said:

@sc said:

That is a tad bit of a stretch. Suicide is far easier to understand than quantum mechanics. Suicide is killing oneself. I am fairly sure people can understand that easily enough. The reasons for someone to make such an epic fail, can most certainly add-up. I have depression, my life sucks, my wife left me, my boss is a horrible person, my child was taken by cancer, my entire family died in a plane crash... Life is hard. Not for some people, for all people. Having a ton of money or fame, may protect people from the harsh elements of life, but life wants to beat the heck out of these people as well. Everyone has to deal with death, no matter who you are. Death is coming for all of us, why make it easy for him. Stand up and face death with dignity.

So being shipped to a nursing home while diseases slowly eat away parts of your body and mind until you are a walking shell who can barely remember how to use basic human functions is...dignified? Oh right--life's hard--don't be a w*ss, blah blah blah.

#37 Posted by ccraft (12437 posts) - - Show Bio

I fell into depression, while the thought crossed my mind a few times I never seriously thought about it. That being said I understand why people would consider it, life is tough and sometimes it seems like it won't get any better. So why would you want to continue a life that you see no future happiness in? My life has been nothing but disappointments with a few moments of happiness, so it's hard for me to see any future happiness when my present seems to be stuck in sadness. With that said I desperately seek out happiness when I see the opportunity, I reach out to family and friends. People like me don't do well being alone by themselves, we think constantly and become introspective. So I find it very sad when someone commits suicide, because I know how it feels to not see a future without depression.

#38 Posted by sophia89 (19802 posts) - - Show Bio

It's to die for :D

#39 Posted by sophia89 (19802 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:

I fell into depression, while the thought crossed my mind a few times I never seriously thought about it. That being said I understand why people would consider it, life is tough and sometimes it seems like it won't get any better. So why would you want to continue a life that you see no future happiness in? My life has been nothing but disappointments with a few moments of happiness, so it's hard for me to see any future happiness when my present seems to be stuck in sadness. With that said I desperately seek out happiness when I see the opportunity, I reach out to family and friends. People like me don't do well being alone by themselves, we think constantly and become introspective. So I find it very sad when someone commits suicide, because I know how it feels to not see a future without depression.

Wait you were serious in the other thread?

I'm so sorry,I thought you were joking with me.

#40 Edited by Pharoh_Atem (44266 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#41 Edited by ccraft (12437 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:

@kingvenus said:

How is this comment ignorant? please explain -.-

Suicide isn't selfish nor is it cowardly, these people suffer emotional pain so overwhelming you've never felt before, and to insult these people who suffer so deeply is ignorant of what their going through. People don't just kill themselves when they lost a game or broke a nail, the problems they have are much more serious.

#42 Posted by ccraft (12437 posts) - - Show Bio

@sophia89: Hehe don't feel bad friend! I use my depression as a joke sometimes, it makes me feel better hehe :)

#43 Posted by RavenVice01 (4330 posts) - - Show Bio

As a Catholic, suicide isn't an option even if I get depressed. For me, my opium to conquer depression is movies. Personally, I think if a person can't conquer their depression then they should be allowed two options.

One is going out in blaze of glory. Do something worthwhile or noble like go after a drug cartel vigilante style or pick a fight with some thugs who r harassing somebody. The other option which I think is more honorable is to forcefully donate ur organs to a hospital like st jude's. The idea of self sacrifice: to give ur life to save another.

#44 Posted by Naamah_Obyzouth (7471 posts) - - Show Bio
#45 Posted by sophia89 (19802 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft: I thought you were joking in the thread,so I was joking with you,didn't think you might be serious.

If I sounded mean,I wasn't going for that,I was just messing around.

#46 Posted by Ryagan (5193 posts) - - Show Bio

Suicide is an extremely tragic thing, and it's a subject that needs to be tackled with sensitivity. It's easy for people to say, "Oh, that's such a cowardly and selfish thing to do," but we don't know what that person was going through, so I feel like it's not our place to judge.

#47 Posted by dngn4774 (5571 posts) - - Show Bio
#48 Posted by ccraft (12437 posts) - - Show Bio

@sophia89: I appreciate the sentiment, but you're fine really. I knew you were joking and so was I :p

#49 Posted by sophia89 (19802 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Posted by Naamah_Obyzouth (7471 posts) - - Show Bio