#1 Posted by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

I so much want a film where a infamous slasher meets someone so deranged they're just giddy at the prospect of fighting him & actually outmatches him just grinning every time he gets stabbed like he freaking loves it.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
#2 Posted by Life_Without_Progress (24672 posts) - - Show Bio

This kind of happened in "You're Next." except final girl isn't insane and more of a trained survivalist.

#3 Posted by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

This kind of happened in "You're Next." except final girl isn't insane and more of a trained survivalist.

Yeah but that was more of a thriller home invasion flick rather than a slasher movie but yeah Erin was badass.

Avatar image for wolverinebatmanftw
#4 Posted by WolverineBatmanFTW (1476 posts) - - Show Bio

Wouldnt that kind of defeat the whole point of a slasher film?

#5 Posted by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

Wouldnt that kind of defeat the whole point of a slasher film?

Not at all. The point is to slash.

Let's say a father of a murdered child was falsely accused of it & then broke out of prison to do battle with the real killer (Let's just say Jason Voorhees) & he's got so much grit & drive that he just demolishes Jason.

I would love to see that!

#6 Posted by Quinlan58 (1773 posts) - - Show Bio

@dr_shenanigans: That changes genres, though. It's now a revenge action flick rather than a slasher.

Anyway, didn't the most recent Child's Play movie do this? I didn't watch it, but I was under the impression Andy was fully prepared for Chucky in that one.

#7 Posted by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

@dr_shenanigans: That changes genres, though. It's now a revenge action flick rather than a slasher.

Anyway, didn't the most recent Child's Play movie do this? I didn't watch it, but I was under the impression Andy was fully prepared for Chucky in that one.

Nah the 1 & only time Andy really bested Chuck was post-credit after Curse of Chucky but even then it was a trap.

Avatar image for major_hellstrom
#8 Posted by Major_Hellstrom (17912 posts) - - Show Bio

That film would be called Old Man Logan. They should make Kraven the villain cause OML and Kraven have a fight like you described.

#9 Edited by dshipp17 (5525 posts) - - Show Bio

That's how you could have viewed Jason, in the film, Freddy vs Jason; this is how I viewed it, in being hopeful for Freddy to win, which he virtually did. But, of course, others were probably cheering for Jason in despising Freddy; I think most viewers saw it this way, given Freddy's unsavory back story or origin; so much so tat one of the film's protagonist dealt the final blow to Freddy, giving Jason a slight victory, in time for him to see it and relax so that I could die.

#10 Posted by Amonfire1776 (3134 posts) - - Show Bio

Happy Death Day near the end is absolute domination by the protagonist.

#11 Edited by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

@amonfire1776 said:

I haven't seen that one yet & I believe there is a sequel as well right?

#12 Posted by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

@dshipp17 said:

That's how you could have viewed Jason, in the film, Freddy vs Jason; this is how I viewed it, in being hopeful for Freddy to win, which he virtually did. But, of course, others were probably cheering for Jason in despising Freddy; I think most viewers saw it this way, given Freddy's unsavory back story or origin; so much so tat one of the film's protagonist dealt the final blow to Freddy, giving Jason a slight victory, in time for him to see it and relax so that I could die.

As much as I hate it I also view it as a pretty decisive victory for Freddy. Jason got owned pretty hard!

Avatar image for wolverinebatmanftw
#13 Posted by WolverineBatmanFTW (1476 posts) - - Show Bio

@dr_shenanigans:

But then you sap out all the horror. If the protagonist can easily beat the antagonist, where's the tension, the fear?

Avatar image for indomitableregal
#14 Posted by IndomitableRegal (16202 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah. That defeats the purpose, and it's no longer horror. There are a few twists that have worked though--imo anyway. No One Lives, Cabin in the Woods, and Texas Chainsaw (2013) all took different routes as far as handling the protagonist/antagonist dynamic.

#15 Posted by Amonfire1776 (3134 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah. That defeats the purpose, and it's no longer horror. There are a few twists that have worked though--imo anyway. No One Lives, Cabin in the Woods, and Texas Chainsaw (2013) all took different routes as far as handling the protagonist/antagonist dynamic.

It would still be horror just with the protagonist terrorizing the antagonist. He crossed the wrong mofo this time!

Avatar image for indomitableregal
#17 Posted by IndomitableRegal (16202 posts) - - Show Bio

@indomitableregal said:

It would still be horror just with the protagonist terrorizing the antagonist. He crossed the wrong mofo this time!

Which is similar to what No One Lives is. The antagonists didn't realize they screwed with someone more vicious than them. But that aside, for the most part I prefer horror where the point is to scare me. You know when you watch a horror film and there's always at least one character that you look at and go "I don't mind if they die" or even further, "I can't wait for the killer to kill them" -- probably because they deserve some form of comeuppance? Well if I feel that way about everyone, it's kinda hard to feel scared lol.

#18 Posted by Cull_Obsidian (3999 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for redhood_jaytodd
#20 Posted by RedHood_JayTodd (1714 posts) - - Show Bio

I like how Tommy Jarvis defeated Jason Voorhees in Parts 4 & 6. If the protagonist were to defeat the slasher, it shouldn't be via a direct 1v1 confrontation. It makes the slasher weak and intimidating.

#21 Posted by ValorKnight (12412 posts) - - Show Bio

You mean a slasher flick where the protagonist is the killer?

#22 Posted by kgb725 (19216 posts) - - Show Bio

No he means the slasher gets hunted... Its very simple

#23 Edited by ValorKnight (12412 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725 said:
@valorknight said:

No he means the slasher gets hunted... Its very simple

I'm fully aware, it was a joke. It apparently wasn't simple enough for you to understand, though.

#24 Posted by kgb725 (19216 posts) - - Show Bio

@amonfire1776 said:

I haven't seen that one yet & I believe there is a sequel as well right?

Yes. Jessica rothe is great in both films and if you like slashers I'd recommend it