• 58 results
Posted by CCThor (1319 posts) 3 months, 19 days ago

Poll: Would you hate a racist hero? (42 votes)

Yes,no matter how many times you saved people,being arrogant isn’t nice. 40%
No,if he’s that strong and protect us then he can say whatever he wants. 26%
He can say whatever he wants but if he were in danger don’t expect anyone you hates help you. 21%
Other thought. 12%

This hero is a extremely racist,hate minority people,talking about racism joke and insulting them,bullies them like it’s normal.

But he’s the only one could save earth and protect people including these people he’s hate and he did it many times.

#51 Posted by SC (18155 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc:

I don't really hate anyone

Hmm? 🤔

Yeah not really. Though there is a square next to your message, which usually indicates a symbol or emote I can't see haha.

#52 Posted by SC (18155 posts) - - Show Bio

Race isn’t real tho

This is true, but language also accounts for perceptions, and historic understanding and perceptions. So even though the idea of humans being split up into certain "races" is outdated, especially as far as scientifically, the concept of racism isn't as outdated yet, unfortunately.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c522ab96172e
#53 Edited by deactivated-5c522ab96172e (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc: I don't really hate anyone

That's...Quite amazing and an unexpected statement, but still hard to digest it. As no one? Not even a single person?

#54 Posted by SC (18155 posts) - - Show Bio

@andromeda101: I don't necessarily think of it that way... consider it like this. Okay, so there is a person you hate? Why? You probably have a reason. Explore that reason. Might be something about them. Well think and consider what lead the to be that way. Would you be the same if you experienced all of that? Could that person change? How, why?

I can still be very critical of people, and behavior, and attitudes and actions, but its hard for me to hate, when I think about all that other stuff. I don't think its thats uncommon either. A lot of people have people in their lives that they love and appreciate, and those people we are more lenient towards as far as their behavior, how they treat us, etc and we don't intuitively act or behave that way with strangers or those we dislike. Sometimes its the opposite. We are strictly less lenient.

Last person I remember hating, was an ex of one of my former partners. He was rich and really into drugs, and looked down on everyone, and was also abusive towards her physically. She also had drug and money problems, and he liked to hang that over her, and passive aggressively mock me for being poor. It was easy for me to hate him, but a lot of that was just my own insecurities at the time. I was poor, and worried about that and that she'd want to go back to him. In hindsight, it was a really dumb insecurity to have, I was younger and in better shape, mentally, physically, emotionally, and I was nicer to her and had a cute baby sister that she also adored.

Then with even more hindsight, I kind of realized that he was in pretty bad shape as well, he had no good friends, had a bad family situation, and was obsessed over his ex, and pretty much only found value in money and drugs. Well, now I am financially independent, not rich, but not poor either, I don't know... I kind of feel more sorry (sympathy not pity) for him now. I have helped people like him since then too, nice people who just got addicted to addictive chemicals. Yeah he insulted me a few times, but I sort of stopped caring about that kind of thing too. So I didn't really hate him anymore.

So just imagine the person you hate, as a new friend who you just misunderstood and then... you might not actually become friends, but you might understand them better.

#55 Posted by RabumAlal (4981 posts) - - Show Bio

Easy hate

#56 Posted by gunmetalgrey (4722 posts) - - Show Bio

This brings up a different yet similar question to me.. How would people react to someone like Superman or Thor constantly bragging about their respective race's/species' objective superiority to humans, or constantly reminding people of how helpless we are in the face of the threats they protect us from? Not in a jerky kind of way, but more matter-of-factly, like they're simply stating a universal truth.

One could argue that people don't feel bad about humans being compared unfavorably to stronger and faster animals in those respective traits, but I can't help but feel the case may be different coming from the mouth of a being who's as sentient and likely more intelligent than we are.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c522ab96172e
#57 Edited by deactivated-5c522ab96172e (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc: That's an interesting approach, still, how about the nature of certain individuals? Some people seem to be scummy and despicable not because of psychological trauma or the circumstances surrounding their lives, but simply because they chose to be that way. Would you still keep those thoughts even when dealing with such people?

#58 Posted by Lunacyde (28178 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is this guy saving us if he's such a racist? He does know that the Earth is populated by a non-white majority correct? Has he used his powers against innocent racial minorities? Does he save them too?

#59 Posted by SC (18155 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc: That's an interesting approach, still, how about the nature of certain individuals? Some people seem to be scummy and despicable not because of psychological trauma or the circumstances surrounding their lives, but simply because they chose to be that way. Would you still keep those thoughts even when dealing with such people?

I would say that the emphasis would be on 'seems scummy' because often how we make moral/ethical judgements and assumptions is based on a combination of factors and variables, that are overlapping degrees of very unique, unique, and similar, extremely similar. We tend to use our own personal barometer developed by intuition, experience, societal understanding and general understanding to draw conclusions. The we create expectations and assumptions from that, and when they are not met, we react I different ways.

Some of those ways could be to pass judgment, draw conclusions about morals/ethics, and similar. Often is an automatic process, though, individuals can and do develop critical thinking skills, sometimes naturally, sometimes it has to be learned and fostered. So what can happen is you make an assumption about behavior, but then question your own assumption. Then you might draw a different conclusion. Especially if you have also experienced your assumptions being incorrect.

Certain individuals 'choices' are the result of learned behavior, other peoples choices, circumstance and other variables they have no control or sometimes understanding of. We can take that into context when choosing how we think of them or treat them. So I still personally have snap judgments and make assumptions about people, but no hate. Usually its wishing circumstance were better, or wondering what experiences have lead that/those individuals to that route, and if they are sincerely happy or okay with their life.

Lets take racists for example, I don't think racists in modern times should "change" for the sake of others or to conform to current social or political climates. That would generally be a benefit too, but I think racists would lead a more fulfilling and better life, and be better off themselves once they advanced past their racism. Many racists might disagree, so it becomes a matter of whose view is more accurate and competent and I'd wager my take was. Neutrally and objectively speaking. So, no hate, more sympathy... (and not pity) though maybe some pity depending on the racist in question.

#60 Posted by StormShadow_X (16694 posts) - - Show Bio

Personal hate towards someone due to something that they can't control is a no go for me. I can be a bit lenient if they still choose to save those people regardless but in my eyes as a person they fail