• 72 results
Posted by TonyMartial (8840 posts) 2 months, 16 days ago

Poll: Would you be buried alive for 6 months for a trillion dollars? (67 votes)

Yes 43%
No 57%

You are granted a healing factor which allows you not to die of starvation/lack of oxygen in this period.

In the dark and in this coffin for for 6 months. Creepy crawlies may visit you.

No Caption Provided

#1 Posted by InvadedTBD (1337 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah if i know for sure im gonna live thru the 6 months. Why not?

#2 Posted by Hypnos0929 (6455 posts) - - Show Bio

In reality you'd pass out after you run out of air. After that you'd wake up when you get air, due to the healing factor. The biggest problem is how long can you take darkness.

#3 Posted by juiceboks (24736 posts) - - Show Bio

People have gone insane thrown in bigger spaces for a tenth of that time. No amount of money is worth my sanity.

#4 Posted by Spambot (9337 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Being alone in an underground room with access to food, water, light and a toilet is about as far as I would go.

#5 Edited by CCThor (1165 posts) - - Show Bio

If I have the ability to sleeping 6 months then yeah I would take the challenge.

#6 Posted by mrmonster (14624 posts) - - Show Bio

No. By the end of just a week or two my mind would be reduced to complete insanity.

#7 Posted by HeroUp2112 (18158 posts) - - Show Bio

Assuming I don't drown in my own waste and what not I'd TRY. I might be a gibbering nut job when I come out and not have the sanity to appreciate all the money I now have, but I'd try.

#8 Edited by BatmanPlusJay (3856 posts) - - Show Bio

This is basically solitary confinement but worse since you don't even have elbow room to move. You'd go insane, you'll probably forget how to walk and there's so many other problems that would come from this. Including creepy crawlies crawling in your ears, up your nose and walking all over your body. Your brain would turn into a fresh Jelly Bean.

You might survive this but you wouldn't come out the same way you went in at all.

#9 Posted by Jordyn_Hill (271 posts) - - Show Bio

I'mma assume the healing factor extends to such things as mental deterioration & psychotic breaks (even though its not stated). All I can say is I'd try. For a chance at a trillion dollars I would try. Whats the worst that could happen...I go insane? Would I even know what that meant after a full mental collapse? Do crazy people know they're crazy? I dont think they do.

#10 Edited by Alavanka (2385 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely.

The only reason you wouldn't do this is if you were a coward.

Just like...take a dump before you go in.

#11 Posted by Omega_kai (3162 posts) - - Show Bio

No, because you would be insane by the time you come out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c32bf8a2c6ae
#12 Posted by deactivated-5c32bf8a2c6ae (193 posts) - - Show Bio

For sure.

#13 Edited by AlphaQ (6105 posts) - - Show Bio

I... think I might be able to do it without going crazy.

By crazy I mean a lunatic, but I'd have serious problems.

#14 Posted by ArkhamAsylum3 (3352 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. There is no way you could go in there without going insane and people who think otherwise are severely overestimating themselves.

#15 Edited by Lunacyde (28092 posts) - - Show Bio

A trillion is not worth your sanity. Humans are social creatures, and serious psychological damage is done in far shorter periods of time.

People overvalue money.

#16 Posted by Fabricolage (1882 posts) - - Show Bio

The sad part about this is, you wouldn't even be able to tell time and would think that a week was probably more than that and two months were six months. Nope, not even as a gift to someone else.

#18 Edited by ourmanuel (10433 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes

Even if I go insane, why would I care? As far as I’d know, everyone else would be insane and I’d be normal.

#19 Posted by TheWatcherKing (18239 posts) - - Show Bio

Ignoring the fact that a healing factor wouldn't protect you from starving to death or from dying from a lack of oxygen...

I would say no.

Avatar image for major_hellstrom
#20 Posted by Major_Hellstrom (17355 posts) - - Show Bio

By the time I get out, I would be so rich I would cause inflation and economic collapse......so no.

#21 Posted by Sazzmi (597 posts) - - Show Bio

That's like 2 million dollars an hour just doing nothing.

Easiest job of my life

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
#22 Edited by deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4 (18365 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell nah, I need my internet

#23 Posted by Michaelbn (2338 posts) - - Show Bio

My HF keeps me alive? easy, also yes even without HF, it's in my Slav genes to live it's nothing compared to The Zone.

#24 Posted by PenguinDust (8722 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure, I’d come out of the dirt insane and with a trillion dollars. I’m buying some nukes just to quiet the voices in my head.

#25 Posted by JohnCena69swag (3777 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely i would. That's a lot of money. It's a long time but i could try to just meditate the entire time. I dont think i would go insane. I've handled high dose lsd and some pcp analogues just fine.

#26 Posted by Richubs (3703 posts) - - Show Bio

Once you run out of air you'll start suffocating but you won't die because of your healing factor.

It'll still feel like you're suffocating.

That's 6 months of suffocation where you'll not allowed to move a lot, eat, drink or anything else.

You'll go crazy and that's a fact given people can go crazy after staying in a white room for less than a week.

I won't do it.

#27 Posted by mrmonster (14624 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate to use Buzzfeed, but I think they made the best illustration of my point.

Loading Video...

Among perfectly normal people, depression and fear started to set in, and that was just 1 day. 6 months would be 182. There is no way any person could go through this and not end up completely insane.

Avatar image for sophisticated_ignorance
#28 Posted by Sophisticated_Ignorance (2182 posts) - - Show Bio

Theres very little chance you'd come out of that coffin sane, healing factor or not.

#29 Posted by SocaJunkie (8322 posts) - - Show Bio

No, it isn’t worth my loss of sanity.

#30 Posted by KingOfWakanda (2371 posts) - - Show Bio

There's one important distinction to make about insanity. Poor people are crazy. Rich people are just eccentric. I'd be an eccentric trillionaire.

#31 Posted by Jexsu (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, and once I'm out of that coffin, I'm buying a shitload of Bacon King meals from Burger King.

#32 Posted by Mortein (6028 posts) - - Show Bio

Do I get to keep my healing factor?

The answer is yes, regardless.

#33 Posted by BatmanPlusJay (3856 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Edited by Lan_Fan (12679 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell no.

#35 Posted by JohnCena69swag (3777 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmanplusjay: maybe. Maybe not. I've handled insanity enough in the past to know how to manage it. Its not always as bad as y'all make it out to be.

#36 Posted by jhazzroucher (25150 posts) - - Show Bio

absolutely

#37 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36584 posts) - - Show Bio

Your mind would collapse and be driven insane without tv and a phone. Plus even with a healing factor you would be repeatedly dying and healing and dying again and again...6 months lol. Most of us wouldn’t last 6 days...

Avatar image for wolverinebatmanftw
#38 Posted by WolverineBatmanFTW (1226 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone would lose their mind

Avatar image for redhood_jaytodd
#39 Edited by RedHood_JayTodd (1365 posts) - - Show Bio

Assuming I magically get an unlimited supply of food, water, oxygen isn’t an issue, and my urine and waste are collected via tubes or something lol, then yeah I’ll attempt it. I won’t make it to the end but i’ll definitely outlast a lot of other people. Most people here don’t have the specialized military training I have, which isn’t spec ops or anything that crazy but should factor in to my duration. SERE taught me how to survive alone in harsh environments and with limited resources in hostile and remote territory. Maybe 3weeks for me at most but boredom, loneliness, and limited space are just some of many issues we’d have to contend with. No rational person is going to do the full six months before breaking down, no matter how tough or skilled you are.

Avatar image for theonewhopullsthestrings
#40 Posted by TheOneWhoPullsTheStrings (2733 posts) - - Show Bio

For a trillion dollars, I can afford the best PHDs to help any sanity loss. And my family would be much better off.

So yeah - I would, I would realize it would be hard, and I would have to bite a hard bullet, but I would try my very best to force myself to.

#41 Posted by Stormdriven (17705 posts) - - Show Bio

I’m claustrophobic, that would be living hell. I’d rather just die and be buried in that coffin for my funeral. Screw a trillion dollars.

#42 Edited by Chad_Duby (5520 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure. I really don’t have anything to do right now and I really want to take a long rest within some dark corner. The coffin is a perfect place for me to stay as I will never die nor will I get injured or get starved and it takes only 6 months.

Oh yes I was called by the army to train in a military camp for the mighty force of US and they forced me to live under trenches for months(the reason I wasn’t here) so I guess being buried while having a healing factor wouldn’t create any difference and would probably be better because I don’t have to eat, drink, breathe or even excrete the waste.

Avatar image for theoneabovelife
#43 Posted by TheOneAboveLife (406 posts) - - Show Bio

lol at all the people who say yes.

#44 Posted by Tenguswordsman (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

It is a Trick Question, obviously, as the OP did not include the Immune to dying of Thirst Buff, we all perish after 2-3 weeks.

Avatar image for the_thereminist
#45 Posted by The_Thereminist (381 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd do it for free, it sounds peaceful & for $1,000,000,000.00 it's win win.

#46 Posted by The_Thereminist (381 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. There is no way you could go in there without going insane and people who think otherwise are severely overestimating themselves.

Or already insane.

#47 Edited by The_Thereminist (381 posts) - - Show Bio

@redhood_jaytodd said:

Assuming I magically get an unlimited supply of food, water, oxygen isn’t an issue, and my urine and waste are collected via tubes or something lol, then yeah I’ll do it. I don’t know if I can make it to the end but i’ll definitely outlast most folks here. Most people here don’t have the specialized military training I have. Maybe a month for me at least.

I know there are bound to be service members here but I have to be skeptical when a viner talks about his/her "specialized military training".

What kind of specialized military training? If you don't feel like addressing the question I'll happily accept "I'm not at liberty to discuss my military background, it's classified. If I told you I'd have to kill you."

Avatar image for redhood_jaytodd
#48 Edited by RedHood_JayTodd (1365 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_thereminist: I edited my above post to provide some clarification on other details.

Basically I was in the USAF for 2 1/2 years (got out with a medical discharge) during which for a few months time, I was selected to go to SERE (Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape) training in Lackland AFB (where all boot camp is also conducted) and Fairchild AFB in Washington state. It was a survival and escape simulation course that puts you in the most extreme environments possible and you’re taught how to survive in those environments and how to evade and/or escape enemy forces in hostile territory and how to handle being interrogated if captured. I never deployed but I wanted to give it a try in case we deployed or did something crazy you know. It’s six months long I believe but I only did like barely half cause it was physically, mentally, and emotionally taxing. I stopped and was eventually sent back to perform my regular job duties as an Aircrew Flight Equipment technician at Keesler AFB, Mississippi until my early discharge late last year (Oct 2018).

Like I have clarified above, i’m not saying AT ALL that I would survive and go through the OP’s conditions for six months cause that is INSANE like others have pointed out and everybody would go completely insane by the time six months has passed, no matter how tough or skillfully trained you are. I’d like to think that I would be able to do roughly 3 weeks AT MOST (because of my three months in SERE) before giving up, assuming of course that the basic essentials of my health are magically taken into account, as seemingly impossible as that is in this scenario. If not, then I can only last a day before dying of dehydration, lack of sufficient quantities of oxygen, etc. 6 months is just way TOO LONG to be living like a vampire when we’re alive and not undead lol. Anyway, hopefully that clarifies my military service, in summary, to you.

#49 Posted by Helloman (28525 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

Avatar image for totallynotjucas
#50 Posted by TotallyNotJucas (578 posts) - - Show Bio

People here acting like they'd last more than a day