Would Raimi get way with this joke if his Spider-Man came out today?

• 72 results
removekebab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

"That's a cute outfit, did your husband give it to you?"(2:16)

It's pretty funny given the context, but I think it would have cause some outrage had it come out today. The 2000s were a completely different time I suppose.

Tell me what you think,

wrucebayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By wrucebayne

I don't think it'd catch much flak. Some would be upset, but the general audience would understand it's something a character like that would say. I just don't think it'd fit in with the "diverse" and "progressive" Spider-Man: Homecoming.

removekebab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it'd catch much flak. Some would be upset, but the general audience would understand it's something a character like that would say. I just don't think it'd fit in with the "diverse" and "progressive" Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Yeah, makes sense. If Green Goblin ever shows up I don't they'll be paying homage to Raimi either...

I mean, he literally gains his powers from a gas chamber! not to mention the fact that he screams "BACK TO AUSCHWITZ!" when he kills his assistant. Don't get me wrong, the acting was on point but it kind of broke the atmosphere for that scene.

But you gotta give it to Raimi though, such a daring and brave director.

Soaring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt it

He would catch the ire of the professionally offended crowd

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a joke. People shouldn't get triggered over it. I mean a guy is getting beat up but nobody bats an eye. Once a joke pops out everybody loses their minds

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb6c77c8d900
deactivated-5fb6c77c8d900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Tbh, bunch of pansies nowadays. There would be some oddball out there that would raise a complaint

And it's not one of those, "oh well every generation says that."

No... It is very clear and has been for a few years now. You can't say a damn thing without being poked and prodded to apologize because it may have offended somebody. It urks me like no other. I cannot stand when PC possesses controls you honest and true actions.

Get offended. No one really cares. That's essentially my thinking

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

If push came to shove, probably. Given the context of the scene it isn't wildly obscene. Odds are the studio would've edited that line out of the final script though.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was an school ground insult back then, and it still is now.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@removekebab: "Back to formula." is what is clearly said. No need to lie about it.

Avatar image for hocko1999_virus
Hocko1999_VIRUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah. Only hyper-sensitive, ultra PC professional victims who are looking for a reason to be offended anyway would be.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11 the_stegman  Moderator

People who hate PC are just as annoying as PC itself.

Yes, he'd use the joke, and people wouldn't care.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman:

People who hate PC are just as annoying as PC itself

How so? Those people only exist because of over baring PC influence itself. Quit catering to anyone who gets offended off of every little thing and these "People who hate PC", would drop in number themselves

ON absolutely NO way are they "as annoying". That's silly

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By Pyrogram
@morleericks said:

@the_stegman:

People who hate PC are just as annoying as PC itself

How so? Those people only exist because of over baring PC influence itself. Quit catering to anyone who gets offended off of every little thing and these "People who hate PC", would drop in number themselves

ON absolutely NO way are they "as annoying". That's silly

People who are anti-PC get 'triggered' by almost anything these days too, it's ironically hilarious xD

---

On topic, the reply to this topic is it would easily be said without repercussions. Sure, a few people online would get mad, but that always happens now.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@morleericks: The same way the anti SJW are just as annoying as the thing they hate.

For example, it was MUCH worse hearing all the hatred people spouted about "Feminazis" controlling everything when the new Ghostbusters came out than the actual movie itself.

Hearing people complain about something, whether it's for or against it can be tiresome to hear.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram: @the_stegman

People who are anti-PC get 'triggered' by almost anything these days too, it's ironically hilarious xD

Lol, in some cases yes. Personally, I hardly ever state my intolerance the PC crowd unless I can do it in civil manner such as this.

Way over sensitive and taking any possible avenue to whine about anything ...

Example: A cartoon that displays violence because.. (a duck hit a horse with a frying pan, etc) anti-PC is what it is now because PC has gotten completely out of hand. Every single thing that can even remotely be complained about, is going to be. It needs attention called to it and people really need to lighten up.

Or, they can keep on. Forcing anti-PC'ers to become "triggered"

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doubt it.

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah. Only hyper-sensitive, ultra PC professional victims who are looking for a reason to be offended anyway would be.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Nope.

Avatar image for inquisitor_lavellan
Inquisitor_Lavellan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah.

People don't care as much about this stuff as you think they do.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 juiceboks  Moderator

Pretty sure Iron Man's said worse.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

I doubt it, Loki called Black Widow a mewling quim, which is basically the Victorian version of calling her a whining c*nt.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably.

Dude, people complained about the "he's adopted" line from the Avengers in 2012. Let how stupid that is sink in for a moment.....and then again in the sequel when Black Widow mentioned something about her being unable to have kids by the Black Widow program or something....I don't remember completely.

Now, reconsider the question.

You really don't think people would care about a line that clearly suggests insulting someone by inferring that they are homosexual in the rabid PC culture we live in today??

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Correct, there are way more anti-sjw folks than actual sjw. How many PC youtubers do you see? But I can name 10 anti-pc youtubers from the top of my head.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 the_stegman  Moderator

@cattlebattle: I'm sure some will take offense, but not enough to cause any type of masss outrage.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: I'm sure some will take offense, but not enough to cause any type of masss outrage.

Sure thing. Just like the X-Men poster of Mystique getting choked by Apocalypse or the cover of the Killing Joke didn't spark "mass outrage".

DaDivineKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DaDivineKing

Yes.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After reading the posts on this thread; yes. ZOMGGG SPIDERMAN ANTIGAY, HE SHAMES DA VICTIMS OF GAY BASHERS, ZOMMG MARVEL GAYBASHING ZOMMGGGG

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@the_stegman said:

Sure thing. Just like the X-Men poster of Mystique getting choked by Apocalypse or the cover of the Killing Joke didn't spark "mass outrage".

Was just going to bring this up, the perfect example of mass outrage to an unnecessary subject of a fictional villain choking a fictional protagonist.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was unsure how to answer this, but then some of you guys listed some examples of previous things people have become outraged at. Would Raimi get away with it? Yeah, but not without some criticism and online outrage. Of course these whiners and professional victims would complain on social media. Which would get lots of attention from the media. Everyone knows social media is the face of public opinion nowadays. Who knows how movie studios take this and if it's affected their movies.

Avatar image for inquisitor_lavellan
Inquisitor_Lavellan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to remind people that not even Joss Whedon, who calls himself a feminist, was safe from outrage because of Avengers 2: Age of Ultron, and the barrage of abuse he received was so intense he quitted Twitter. Here is a compilation of the the elusive SJW that some people in this site think don't exist and are just made up by dem evil republicans and rightwingers, with edited out swear words for CV's standards.

No Caption Provided

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a joke. People shouldn't get triggered over it. I mean a guy is getting beat up but nobody bats an eye. Once a joke pops out everybody loses their minds

Time_and_Power

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to remind people that not even Joss Whedon, who calls himself a feminist, was safe from outrage because of Avengers 2: Age of Ultron, and the barrage of abuse he received was so intense he quitted Twitter. Here is a compilation of the the elusive SJW that some people in this site think don't exist and are just made up by dem evil republicans and rightwingers, with edited out swear words for CV's standards.

No Caption Provided

The people that wrote that to Joss should burn in the deepest of all possible hells for eternity.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@morleericks: Yeah, as others have said, the anti-PC and conservative crowd get triggered and offended and use the exact same tactics that they complain about liberals for using, it's just that they switch them up (for example, they try to rile up and appeal to a white male crowd instead of a minority crowd; they pull the "race card" as well, except from the perspective of a white person; they get offended by a LOT of things while telling others to "stop being offended", "stop being whiny crybabies",etc whenever others take offense). It's just that they don't view it as "PC" or "offense" or "the race card" when they use it.

Honestly, both are equally embarrassing and irritating.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Flumox56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soaring said:

I doubt it

He would catch the ire of the professionally offended crowd

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83:

Nowhere near as annoying as PC bulls**. Why are you bringing up race? I am referring to any and all professionally offended people. From promoting violence in a cartoon to feminist attacking WWE for not supporting their women wrestlers as much as they do their top stars.

These anti-PC individuals are only as prominent now and increased in number due to politically correctness going too far and they ought to. Its about damn time. In no way at all are they the same. When people quit being so damn sensitive, the anti PCers will decrease dramatically/. Sticking up for them and liberals in general is annoying as hell also but that's almost a separate issue.

Bringing up race at all - as all liberals do - instead of sticking to the facts of any issue is your specialty. You cannot prove a point by enforcing racial tones in your argument. No one here is racist and the first person to pull the race card on me will get backhanded I swear.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#40  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Nothing is off limits if you're making people laugh.

But that line was so poorly delivered it wasn't funny at all.

It's not offensive but it's a terrible joke regardless. As someone else said Its something your head on a playground

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By cameron83

@morleericks: I pretty much disagree with everything you said. I consider both of them equally annoying; and yes, they definitely are the same, just with different parties/clothes. I don't really have a preference between one extreme or the other, or loyalty to either party. Sensitivity isn't exclusive to the left, as I said, neither is bringing up race. And I was only using race as an example, not because I'm bringing it up as a main topic point or accusing anyone here of being racist (that isn't even close to what I said). It's literally like you didn't even bother to read anything I said, rather jumping to assumptions and throwing around the word "liberal" because someone disagreed with you. That's not how you make an argument.

And I know a LOT of conservatives bring up race (and do all of those other things mentioned, as well) but clearly you only think it's only wrong when liberals do it, so I guess there's no point of a discussion here. If you have a preference for one and prefer to make excuses for them, then that's on you. I guess your argument is really just a longer way of saying, "Well they started it, so that makes it okay!", with a lot of false accusations and leaps in your assumptions to top it all off.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: And you didn't read my statement as well. My point is it happens too much. For things that don't matter. Their simply doing because they can and haven't been put in their place. They need to be called out on it.

My last post was influenced by some heat because the race card should NEVER be brought up. It's a cop out on conversations like this and shouldn't even be used as an example.

Genuinely asking: Are you a liberal?

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By cameron83

@morleericks: In the examples that you provided, I think that you're right. Some people create an issue where there isn't one, However, in some cases, I think that an issue SHOULD be addressed and challenged, although in more serious ones (not on an innocent line in a Spider Man movie), and I think those people are right to do so. And for the more ridiculous ones that you hear (like feminazi complaints), I think that they DO need to be called out on their nonsense, the problem is that the reactionary response from the opposite political spectrum can be just as ridiculous at times. Not only that, but sometimes, people throw out the term "race card" or "feminazi" simply because they don't like what they hear or because it doesn't agree with their views etc etc

Okay, that's understandable. I shouldn't have been condescending in my previous post. I wouldn't say that race should NEVER be brought up. Sometimes it shouldn't, sometimes it should. Again, and this is really what I want to stress, is that it definitely depends. Sometimes race COULD be a problem/factor in an issue, other times it may play less of a role etc. These issues are never really that simple.

I really don't see what's wrong with using it as an example. It's not like I'm bringing it to the forefront of the conversation, I'm just applying the phenomenon that I witnessed/discussed and applied it to a popular social topic. Would it be better if I changed my example to encompass gender instead of race?

And no, I don't really like liberalism or conservatism, at least not on social issues. I consider them both a bit inadequate. I would probably say that I'm a bit more moderate at the moment. And a bit off topic here, but I don't think that either political party (republican or democrat) has the best interest for african americans in mind. I don't know. Personally, that feeling could change, but that's just how I currently feel at the moment. I know you don't like me bringing up race, but it's just me reflecting on a conversation I had with someone the other day.

Noone1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I knew it was going to be the husband joke before even entering the thread lmao.

Nope, he most certainly would not. God bless America.

Noone1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You aren't fooling anyone xDDD

No Caption Provided
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@noone1996: WHO TOLD YOU--I mean, that's crazy. That ain't me...>_> <_<

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: Yes I neither define myself as a Democrat or Republican. As most of my views and opinions are in line with one of the two when it comes to separate issues. Or it may differ altogether.

CV isn't really a place to discuss these things anyway but as for your post, I can agree with all of that.

Except the race card. IMO, unless the subject of conversation is race, then it isn't necessary to refer to it. Too many people take advantage of that.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

No Caption Provided

How do you know all of those people are SJWs? Most people, PC or not, hated Black Widow in AoU. Only a handful of these tweets actually call him a sexist or misogynist.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morleericks: I can understand that. On the last part, I am not sure if I can agree/disagree with that, but only because I need elaboration. I think I know what you mean when you say, "Too many people take advantage. . .", but I'd probably need elaboration to really know what you mean.

And yeah, CV isn't the best place to talk about these things, but I have met people of different viewpoints that I could bounce ideas off of and come to an understanding, so it's not that bad. Generally though, you're right