Would Nuking the Moon Be a Crime?

Hood_Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So say a group of people decided to nuke the moon. It would probably take 9,000-15-megaton nuclear bombs in order to completely destroy the surface but if they were to accomplish this, would they get arrested?

MainJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MainJP

We’d be too busy being at the mercy of, like, world ending cataclysmic events.

Edit: I missed “surface” and thought you meant the whole moon being destroyed god I’m dumb. Wouldn’t this be a terroristic threat?

Jexsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, it'd be a crime, but what would they be charged with? I mean, the answer is probably obvious, but there's more to it.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Amcu

Probably, though I don't actually know what law says you can't nuke the moon.

JohnCena69swag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would assume that a private party possessing nuclear weapons, especially in such an absurd quantity, in itself would be some sort of crime. On top of that I'm pretty sure the use of nuclear weapons, whether they land in your own territory or another planet, is still illegal. The problem is more with using them at all rather than with the destruction they cause.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see no laws that that would be breaking

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That "group of people" would have to be a government, and no I dont think there's any such international law.

Feel free to go nuke the Moon if you really want to.

socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8 socajunkie  Moderator

Don’t nuke the moon, bro.

Alavanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always wanted to find a way to push the moon into Earth.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Kidd

What country/Organisation would have the right to trial the perpetrator anyway?

ourmanuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds cool

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd: The U.N. pretty much handles nuke business anyway

RikuYamaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RikuYamaha

To destroy the moon, you would need to provide at least 1.24×10291.24×1029J of energy to exceed the Moon's gravitational binding energy. (This provides a lower bound on the energy to "blow up" the moon.) A megaton of TNT releases 4.184 PJ of energy.Put this together, and you would need at least: 2.96×10132.96×1013 megatons of TNT.Said another way: you would need some 30 trillion million tons of TNT(which in itself is a crime cause of massive explosives).If you would like to perform this calculation yourself, see the Planetary Parameter Calculator. Based on a couple inputs, it will calculate the gravitational binding energy of a body.For a sense of scale: 30 quadrillion tons of TNT = a 470 km sphere. That's large enough to be its own dwarf planet. Or you could use 6 trillion thermonuclear bombs (in the entirety of the Cold War, 60000 nukes of any size were produced, getting you at most 1/100000000th of the way there). For the most efficient option, you could use 10^12 kg of antimatter = a 10 km sphere. so, im gonna have to say yes on it being a crime cause not only would it be on a danger on a global scale, but allso the danger of having way to much nukes.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

KingOfWakanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess the actual crime would be stealing a nuclear weapon. Setting it off would be a terrorist act as well, even though it wouldn't technically be on Earth, it would stop the ocean tides and mess up the Earth's axis.

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd: What ever country they fired the nuke out of, and then they would charge them for illegally firing nukes in their air space. The only way I see this being legal is if they made and fired the nukes from neutral waters in the ocean.

Ryokuma100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could be wrong, but wouldn’t that affect like a lot of what happenes on Earth (Tides, Asteroid Defense, Telling time in some cases, etc)? Plus I think there are religions that account the moon as important.

I think it should be illegal if not very wrong to do

solar_nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

No. It's not owned by any country.

Rustlingjimmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, but why would you?

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I mean... You can shatter the moon, but gravity is just going to cause it to recollect.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Penguin-Dust

I believe it would be a violation of the Outer Space Treaty of 1967 which states...

The substance of the arms control provisions is in Article IV. This article restricts activities in two ways:

First, it contains an undertaking not to place in orbit around the Earth, install on the moon or any other celestial body, or otherwise station in outer space, nuclear or any other weapons of mass destruction.

Second, it limits the use of the moon and other celestial bodies exclusively to peaceful purposes and expressly prohibits their use for establishing military bases, installation, or fortifications; testing weapons of any kind; or conducting military maneuvers. [Source]

Violators would be subject to sanction and reprimand by the signers of the treaty.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I guess the actual crime would be stealing a nuclear weapon. Setting it off would be a terrorist act as well, even though it wouldn't technically be on Earth, it would stop the ocean tides and mess up the Earth's axis.

In order to cause tides to stop, the Moon's mass would have to somehow disappear.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I could be wrong, but wouldn’t that affect like a lot of what happenes on Earth (Tides, Asteroid Defense, Telling time in some cases, etc)? Plus I think there are religions that account the moon as important.

I think it should be illegal if not very wrong to do

Yes, it would have drastic consequences; it would even affect or require redefining the definition of a day, month, and year on Earth; the moon is important for life on Earth.

red_ruby_petal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By red_ruby_petal

I wonder who would handle those nukes, otherwise its inconsequential as not even that many nukes would cause a visible crater on the moon.

Avatar image for firestarlord73194
FireStarLord73194

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don’t think this is possible

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why would you want to nuke the moon? lul.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The ? is very big and if we destroy half of it then not good bro

Avatar image for deactivated-5ca9389143922
deactivated-5ca9389143922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably yes. But what the hell is anyone going to do? Those guys have nukes.

Avatar image for universeichigo1
universeichigo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes most definitely.

Avatar image for staticspeedster
StaticSpeedster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 2

Won't this mess up our orbit though?

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That "group of people" would have to be a government, and no I dont think there's any such international law.

Disagree. Destroying the moon would be equal to destroying an ocean, a unhabited part of the Rocky Mountains or the Rainforest, it would be a crime punishable with jail. Just try and burn down a forest, even without hurting anyone, and see how the law reacts to that.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton said:

Disagree. Destroying the moon would be equal to destroying an ocean, a unhabited part of the Rocky Mountains or the Rainforest, it would be a crime punishable with jail. Just try and burn down a forest, even without hurting anyone, and see how the law reacts to that.

There are already international laws that cover oceans and forests.

Show me the international law that says I cant nuke the Moon.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33 Lunacyde  Moderator

Umm, no, but it sounds pretty stupid.

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buckwheat said:
@willpayton said:

I'm pretty sure there is a law that says not only that you can't nuke ANYTHING but that you cannot posses nuclear weapons, in fact even trying to build or let alone buy nukes is so illegal that just by trying to prepare to nuke the moon you'd have the law on you faster than a fat guy on a pie.

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu said:

Probably, though I don't actually know what law says you can't nuke the moon.

Belive me, if there is no law against it, as soon as you'd do it, they would create a law, and it wouldn't be a nice one also. I'm pretty sure you'd be considered a hardcore terrorist and end up in Wantanamo or worst.

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
The_living_tribunal_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton said:
@buckwheat said:
@willpayton said:

I'm pretty sure there is a law that says not only that you can't nuke ANYTHING but that you cannot posses nuclear weapons, in fact even trying to build or let alone buy nukes is so illegal that just by trying to prepare to nuke the moon you'd have the law on you faster than a fat guy on a pie.

Individual countries have such laws, but that's not what I was talking about. I was talking about international law, and there's no such law.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asking for a friend

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buckwheat said:
@willpayton said:
@buckwheat said:
@willpayton said:

Individual countries have such laws, but that's not what I was talking about. I was talking about international law, and there's no such law.

This:

I believe it would be a violation of the Outer Space Treaty of 1967 which states...

The substance of the arms control provisions is in Article IV. This article restricts activities in two ways:

First, it contains an undertaking not to place in orbit around the Earth, install on the moon or any other celestial body, or otherwise station in outer space, nuclear or any other weapons of mass destruction.

Second, it limits the use of the moon and other celestial bodies exclusively to peaceful purposes and expressly prohibits their use for establishing military bases, installation, or fortifications; testing weapons of any kind; or conducting military maneuvers. [Source]

Tenguswordsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wouldn't destroying the Moon cause ducking insane Tidal Waves and what not?

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wouldn't destroying the Moon cause ducking insane Tidal Waves and what not?

No. The moon is a HOLOGRAM in the sky and the Tidal Waves have absolutely no correlation to it.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Yeah. It's terrorism.

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#45  Edited By stormshadow_x

This is actually a question and people are actually saying it wouldn't be a crime, wYou are knowingly attacking something that ALL life on earth needed to survive with nuclear weapons to top it off. The UN to get her would probably cover it up that they found the people and either locked them behind bars until they die or straight up kill them.

Even minor changes to something like the moon could hurt us now or years from now. Anyone dumb yet resourceful enough to damage it throws most of their rights as a human out the window imo

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_Space_Treaty

Avatar image for plotweapon16255
plotweapon16255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton said:
@buckwheat said:
@willpayton said:
@buckwheat said:
@willpayton said:

This:

@Penguin-Dust said:

FYI: Project A119

The signing of the Partial Nuclear Test Ban Treaty in 1963 and the Outer Space Treaty in 1967 prevented future exploration of the concept of detonating a nuclear device on the Moon.

Avatar image for hurricanefunnel
hurricanefunnel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

suggestion: do not nuke the moon

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Crimes against humanity is a thing, yes.