Why won't an Assassin's Creed in Japan work? (and how will it)

gamejutsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

In your opinion. Some Japanese devs said if there was a game set in Japan, then it would be be inaccurate to real ninja, since ninja don't do much assassination. And they also said that there are so much ninja/Japan games that it would be a bit unoriginal from their other locations.

I think that they can work around these problems. AC is known for making cool things happen while sticking to real events. Japan could be no exception. There could even be dual play, like you can switch during some segments to also play as a samurai and fight in wars. Both have access to different things. It would be like a Lego game... But actually good.

And the AC in China was all about stealth and killing... What about Japan? Y'now?

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okama.

gamejutsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

goatzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gamejutsu: You watch your mouth about lego games.

gamejutsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By gamejutsu

@goatzilla: Bro, a Lego game in general has good gameplay, but it gets old because every game they make has the exact same mechanics each time. The only thing that keeps people coming back is the franchise being used. They call it "The Lego Treatment". Check literally every Lego action-adventure game since Lego Star Wars. Only thing that changes is that buttons do different things, or a puzzle which is just button pushing. Their latest game, Marvel's avengers has a new gimmick where pressing circle with a buddy or alone does a fancy attack that is not even required to progress. And that's literally it.

Ubisoft is definitely not going with their A game, but at least they make noticeable tweaks. The samurai-ninja assassin co-op can be very well integrated. Example, Samurai gets things done in the day, nighttime, assassin style (more assassin work than samurai tho). The best part can be the wars. Those could be very fun if you are in a legit war or battle, not the AC 3 stuff.

And you never told me why and why not it can work.

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

goatzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gamejutsu: Lego games get drastically different almost every game.Also,They could easily make Japan work.

gamejutsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goatzilla: Bro, rly? I will now list a few Lego games, and name the new gimmicks used in each:

Lego Marvel superheroes:

• Hacking minigame: move the D-pad around and press square at the right spot. Align pipes and click on spots to block power.
  • Shield station: Move left joystick to redirect laser to a source.
  • Senses. Press freaking circle when you are told to to reveal something.
  • Fantastic spot and fantastic grate: Press circle on spot to transform and automatically solve problem. Non playable. Press circle on grate to go to another grate.
  • Cracked wall and lift handles: Press square when near cracked wall to break it. Press circle when near a heavy handled object to lift it.
  • Boss: Do the same thing to the boss 3 times. Boss is on unreachable platform, do something to get him to come (usually beat up enemies), boss comes down, hit him once, repeat 3 times. Try to have cool music and shaky camera but fail to deliver intense feeling, since it isn't that interesting in the first place.

*Lego Batman 3:

• Shield station: Press circle and move left joystick to deflect laser to a source.
  • Senses. Press circle with superhuman or tech assisted character to reveal something.
  • Plastic spot and plastic grate: See fantastic spot and fantastic grate.
  • Cracked wall and lift handles: Press square when near cracked wall to break it. Press circle when near a heavy handled object to lift it.
  • Hacking minigame: Run in a maze and press all the buttons. Also some obstacle courses.
  • Boss: See: above note.

Lego Jurrassic world:

• Cracked wall: press a button to charge into or smash cracked wall.
  • Hacking minigame: Play Simon Says and unlock area.
  • Boss: See: above note
  • I forgot some more.

The point is, sure, the new gimmicks and animations each game uses is what makes it so different. But trying the actual gimmicks themselves is quite repetitive, which is why there is so many of them. Aside from Lego Dimensions level packs, If Lego ever made just one character fight a boss or do a few levels on their own, It would be so boring it is basically unplayable.

But Assassin's Creed can probably turn this puzzle dual play into something that feels and is challenging as well as fun to play for a while. Lego game's mechanics in general are fun, but overuse of it is making it bad.

I really like this topic. Please don't get this locked. And, you never gave me your own opinions on how an AC in Japan can work.

goatzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gamejutsu: I just said that it could easily work.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Currently Assassin's Creed is only moving forward. It's hard to imagine an Assassin's Creed with ninja's right now.

gamejutsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goatzilla: k

I'd imagine the only problem with an AC in japan is that a lot of games are set there as well, most stereotypical. AC there won't be stereotypical, but some people will obviously think so.

I mean, we already know that there is an assassin situated in Japan already.

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Penderor

Maybe we could meet Miyamoto Musashi.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Currently Assassin's Creed is only moving forward. It's hard to imagine an Assassin's Creed with ninja's right now.

Eh, its not that far fetched.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey said:

If you're going to set an Assassin's Creed game with Samurai's, and if it's set in Japan, it's probably going to be Feudal Japan. They're going to lose a lot of established gameplay features by going that far back. Not to mention that the 4 previous Assassin's Creed games have been set post 1700, which isn't very old. They've also established a lot of character tropes that I can't see working in a Japan setting.

gamejutsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes! Guys, look what I found!

"Feudal Japan would work as an Assassin's game, for sure, but I feel like it would start to look like 'oh, have I played this?' You know what I mean - 'oh, I've been a ninja before, I've been a samurai before'."

My "play as 2 characters" idea could work!

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp said:
@theamazingspidey said:

If you're going to set an Assassin's Creed game with Samurai's, and if it's set in Japan, it's probably going to be Feudal Japan. They're going to lose a lot of established gameplay features by going that far back. Not to mention that the 4 previous Assassin's Creed games have been set post 1700, which isn't very old. They've also established a lot of character tropes that I can't see working in a Japan setting.

I don't know, man. Ubisoft can be pretty crafty when it comes to it. If you're thinking there would be similar gameplay elements as Assassin's Creed, you gotta remember that that game was made in 2007 and was pretty much a practice make for future installations. I'm sure they could whip up some pretty nifty ideas. I'd play it. Plus it'd be good to go back to basics, in my opinion.

gamejutsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp: And participate in legitimate actual wars as a samurai, or switch to the assassin and do undercover stuff in the middle of the fight. We've never gotten to that. All we had in AC3 was just ambushes and defense, etc Never an actual war or battle.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey said:
@monsterstomp said:
@theamazingspidey said:

I don't know, man. Ubisoft can be pretty crafty when it comes to it. If you're thinking there would be similar gameplay elements as Assassin's Creed, you gotta remember that that game was made in 2007 and was pretty much a practice make for future installations. I'm sure they could whip up some pretty nifty ideas. I'd play it. Plus it'd be good to go back to basics, in my opinion.

I think it'd be cool to go back to basics. I'd probably love it. Although the previous 4 Assassin's Creed have been pretty similar in time periods, it's as if they're pushing forward.

gamejutsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: Yup, wonder what will happen when they go too forward.

Techno Creed lol

KingWillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe you don't even need to switch characters. There were samurai who were ALSO ninja. I've wanted a feudal Japan Assassins Creed since the very beginning.

gamejutsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingwillie: That's true, I was trying to suggest a dual play mechanic though.

And, the official Japan assassin seems to not be a samurai.

Candle_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Just bring back the Optimus Prime windows. Better yet, bring in Optimus Prime.

bachh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Japan during the Boshin War could work well for an AC game. It have both samurai and gun being used, a good political plot and lot of assasination could take place. Having the mc fight to restore the Emperor sound catchy too. Also it have foreign involvement to a certain degree which will make chance for connection between different branch of assasin and templar

gamejutsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By gamejutsu

I think "take down the Shogun" would be a cool plot. You would scale his/her giant pagoda and it turns out they have a relic that makes them super-powered. Would be quite a fight.

@candle_jack: Speaking of him, wouldn't it be cool to fight a giant mech in AC?

It would have to be Techno Creed though. As much as Japan likes to associate itself with that sort of stuff, it just wouldn't work here.

Just_Banter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love it. It wouldn't be too realistic compared to real life ninjas but it'd be incredibly fun and enjoyable, I could see some great stealth/movement mechanics with the walls inside houses and stuff, and it'd be a welcome slow down of pace from the grind towards modern times that AC has been going for lately. I have and will maintain the opinion that the two best locations for future games are Feudal Japan and one of the world wars.

gamejutsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@just_banter: We've had rooftop and wall-running, chain swinging parkour coming for a long time now.

MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would work, if they got the lead devs of AC4 back again I'd actually buy it and it'd probably be the best one yet. Imo they know it's their golden egg and they're going to squeeze as much shit as possible out first.

"And they also said that there are so much ninja/Japan games that it would be a bit unoriginal from their other locations."

Yea because up until now the AC games have been drenched in originality...

I actually haven't played many games comparable, are there that many? The last one I played (and loved) was Tenchu Z on 360...and that was seriously low budget.

Honestly it amazes me people still buy AC games every year, but then people will buy anything.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Since when did they care about being 100% accurate.

mikesterman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames: yeah like Connor in every revolutionary event ever...

OverLordArthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gamejutsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OverLordArthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@overlordarthas: Umm but what point does this have in the conversation?

I thought you wanted to know the meaning of the word okama.

gamejutsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@overlordarthas: No, I mean why did that guy say "Okama"? I doesn't have anything to do with the topic.

OverLordArthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@overlordarthas: No, I mean why did that guy say "Okama"? I doesn't have anything to do with the topic.

Ninja's (Assassins/Male) often dress as females, most prominently geisha's, because of the thick make-up to conceal their identity to get close to the target.

You may ask, why not make kunoichi do this, well it is easier to escape this way (when the assassin shed his disguise) since the guards are seeking for a female assailant.