• 53 results
#1 Posted by Time_and_Power (363 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok,why has not anyone ever tried to become a vigilante?

Now,i know what your'e going to say: ''It´s stupid. The people that try to do that die.''

But why din´t any really wealthy guy do like Bruce Wayne. You know,travel the world,learn multiple fighting styles,enhance survival skills,upgrade physical and mental capability and use it´s resources and money to have a high-tier arsenal. Why hasen´t anyone ever try to do that is beyond me. So i will ask you why there are no real-life super-heroes?

#2 Posted by lettsplay10 (20589 posts) - - Show Bio

because people want to live

#3 Posted by Time_and_Power (363 posts) - - Show Bio

@lettsplay10: How would a person die if they are trained and geared up.

#4 Posted by MAZAHS117 (9973 posts) - - Show Bio

There are. Todays the day to remember them

#5 Posted by tparks (10553 posts) - - Show Bio

I think anyone with that amount of money, is contempt with swimming in gold like Scrooge McDuck, and could care less about learning how to beat people people up.

#6 Edited by Wolfrazer (14995 posts) - - Show Bio

@tparks said:

I think anyone with that amount of money, is contempt with swimming in gold like Scrooge McDuck, and could care less about learning how to beat people people up.

Thiiis.

Plus really, no one would survive long when their opponent has a gun. I mean...unless they themself has a gun, but then it'd just be murder.

#7 Posted by Stahlflamme (4556 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by tparks (10553 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolfrazer: I also can't see people being ok with someone taking the law into their own hands and deciding who is a criminal and how to handle them, just because they are super rich and powerful. That's like the opposite of freedom. Lol

#9 Posted by DSB (1088 posts) - - Show Bio

Rich people want to get richer and protect their wealth at all cost. basic human nature. People have to be even paid to protect their own country even if loss means extermination of their own race [world armies] and laws have to be enforced for people to join the army [Israel].

People with a deep sense to bring justice dont have the resources to handle their lives even if they are trained enough . They do their job at night , fighting crime . who would pay them if they dont have a day job unless they are billionaires? also who would develop crime fighting gadgets ?

People with Resources are like what i said above . want to protect their money . doesnt care what happens in the soceity.

its hard to find a person who was the will to fight , has proper training , has proper physique , has that mental strength to do it every night without a break and with billions of dollars . Actually its impossible to find anyone like that .

Avatar image for benjamin_poindexter
#10 Posted by Benjamin_Poindexter (739 posts) - - Show Bio

@lettsplay10: How would a person die if they are trained and geared up.

Seriously? Ask anybody in the military how that can play out.

#11 Posted by AzureFafnir28 (7135 posts) - - Show Bio

Because being a vigilante and taking on armed criminals is a bad idea.

#12 Posted by LEGACY6364 (5812 posts) - - Show Bio

Transparently people have more common sense than i'd like to give them credit for.

#13 Posted by LpnQ (3956 posts) - - Show Bio

Being a vigilante is a horrible idea.

#14 Posted by JayFreeman (2771 posts) - - Show Bio

Because most or if not all of them would end up like Kickass, in the scene of the first where he tried to take out those two guys.

#15 Posted by SoggyPubes (30 posts) - - Show Bio

Avoiding bullets is a lot harder than it looks in the movies.

#16 Posted by PenguinDust (5523 posts) - - Show Bio

Vigilantism is strongly frowned upon by the law enforcement and criminal prosecution communities. It's dangerous work obviously that is more likely to get the "hero" locked up than the villains he's after. If you're talking just about rescue and taking catching criminals off the table, then the issue is potentially doing more harm than good or hindering the efforts of professionally trained search-and-rescue teams. Finally, America is a overly litigious nation. Any would be do-gooder would certainly wind up getting sued by the victims, the accused or both. With modern surveillance technology (face recognition photography, cameras that can see through walls, drone technology, biometrics, etc...) maintaining a secret identity would be very difficult should the authorities wish to locate the "hero".

#17 Edited by Black_Arrow (9550 posts) - - Show Bio

You use the example of Bruce Wayne, but If you think about it, the specifics of his origin story don't make any sense. First why would a couple of billionaires go around town without security? That would never happen on real life, they would always have 4 security guys with guns making it impossible to get them mugged. Second imagine if his parents were killed and he was traumatized by it, Do you think that the legal guardians of a kid who is that rich would let him do whatever he wants? No they would send him to the best psychologists and they would probably drug him so the death of his parents would be less painful. After all the treatments the kid will have to endured, he porbably won't feel the death of his parents that much to do something about it (It doesn't make sense that Alfred would let a young Bruce whatever he wants like he did on the comics). But If after enduring all that treatment he wants do something about crime, He would probably use his resources to give the police better equipment, He would probably feed the poor and help the city set school and hospital to increase the quality of living, erasing some of the criminals that do it because they are hungry. It doesn't make much sense that he would want to spend years training to be a vigilante when he can much more good now.

If the child was poor and his parents would get killed, He might want to fight crime but he won't have the resources to train himself and to equip himself, and he would also need a job so that he could afford food and other necessities. All that it's quite hard to get while been a vigilante. A person that wants to fight crime and is poor would probably join the Police.

Also there is the problem of genetics, the vigilante would have to have the genetics of an althete or at least he would have to good genetics.

#18 Posted by Outside_85 (19445 posts) - - Show Bio

Because it happens to be illegal in most of the world to pretend you are the law unless under special circumstances.

#19 Edited by BlueHope (2680 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_arrow said:

You use the example of Bruce Wayne, but If you think about it, the specifics of his origin story don't make any sense. First why would a couple of billionaires go around town without security? That would never happen on real life, they would always have 4 security guys with guns making it impossible to get them mugged.

Some celebrities and rich guys sometimes go for a walk in real life,it's rare but not impossible, also his story was created almost 80 years ago violence was not so out of control like it is now.

#20 Posted by Backstabber (6090 posts) - - Show Bio

There are. Todays the day to remember them

Absolutely Correct, God Bless You

#21 Edited by jumpstart55 (10546 posts) - - Show Bio

@lettsplay10 said:

because people want to live

lmfao..Hahahahahaha.

Ontopic: Ive written enough on this subject, as this same thread has been recreated like 12 times in the pat year..Ill go through my old post and just repost what i had posted on earlier threads about the subject..But until then the above quote is my answer.

#22 Posted by ironbart (154 posts) - - Show Bio

It's possible but extremely unlikely.

#23 Posted by JamieWolfe7 (777 posts) - - Show Bio

It happens, its just rare. As far as rich vigilantes, its more psychology than genetics. There is no evidence that genetics has anything to do with anything as far as this is concerned. Just because your daddy is a great kickboxer doesn't mean you will be, unless you train with him. My dad was an excellent mechanic and I hate the work. It's greasy and nasty, though it'd be nice if I didn't have to pay someone else to work on my car. Some people are much inclined to athletics than others, its true, but I don't think there is a 'vigilante gene'.

Most vigilantes come from poor or middle class households. The original Deathwish movie starring Charles Bronson has been lauded as the most realistic depiction of a vigilante ever brought to cinema, and that scenario does happen on occasion. Usually, like in that movie, a man basically becomes a serial killer stalking muggers and low lifes because of a trauma against him or his family and the justice system having failed them. It's almost unheard of for a vigilante to crop up who didn't first try the legal system, sadly. If you want a real life approximation of a superhero, tragically the closest approximation is someone following the Punisher model rather than Batman or Luke Cage.

#24 Posted by Joygirl (21036 posts) - - Show Bio

As stated above, there was Phoenix Jones, who actually did about as well as you can expect to with no superpowers.

#25 Posted by Nerevarine_11 (9699 posts) - - Show Bio

Real life sucks balls.

#26 Posted by frogdog (5551 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl said:

As stated above, there was Phoenix Jones, who actually did about as well as you can expect to with no superpowers.

On the Plus side, it helped his career as MMA fighter

#27 Posted by crash_ (3046 posts) - - Show Bio

Because we don't have super powers and we do not have the author on our side to make things convenient for us.

#28 Edited by Black_Arrow (9550 posts) - - Show Bio

@bluehope said:
@black_arrow said:

You use the example of Bruce Wayne, but If you think about it, the specifics of his origin story don't make any sense. First why would a couple of billionaires go around town without security? That would never happen on real life, they would always have 4 security guys with guns making it impossible to get them mugged.

Some celebrities and rich guys sometimes go for a walk in real life,it's rare but not impossible, also his story was created almost 80 years ago violence was not so out of control like it is now.

This is true. Those rich guys don't go walking in the middle of the night through an alley on a dangerous city. So by today standars it would be quite unbelievable that a rich family would be killed in that way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
#29 Posted by deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3 (12864 posts) - - Show Bio

Plenty of people have. Real life vigilantes aren't cool, sexy or fun. Most of them are unhinged and damaged people who's motives are far from altruistic.

#30 Posted by jb681131 (2578 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok,why has not anyone ever tried to become a vigilante?

Now,i know what your'e going to say: ''It´s stupid. The people that try to do that die.''

But why din´t any really wealthy guy do like Bruce Wayne. You know,travel the world,learn multiple fighting styles,enhance survival skills,upgrade physical and mental capability and use it´s resources and money to have a high-tier arsenal. Why hasen´t anyone ever try to do that is beyond me. So i will ask you why there are no real-life super-heroes?

• Because the danger risks are way higher than what is shown in movies and comics.
  • Because most rich only care for their money.
  • Because it is not possible to obtain such gadgets and stay anonymous.
  • Because it is almost impossible to have a normal life and a second vigilanty life.
  • Because it would be going against the law.

But some people do try things:

Avatar image for deactivated-5988def3424a7
#31 Edited by deactivated-5988def3424a7 (5386 posts) - - Show Bio

The idea of a vigilante like Batman is practical in the comics, but in real-life? Not so much.

#32 Posted by valken (1663 posts) - - Show Bio

Because knives and bullets and stuff.

#33 Posted by Time_and_Power (363 posts) - - Show Bio

You use the example of Bruce Wayne, but If you think about it, the specifics of his origin story don't make any sense. First why would a couple of billionaires go around town without security? That would never happen on real life, they would always have 4 security guys with guns making it impossible to get them mugged. Second imagine if his parents were killed and he was traumatized by it, Do you think that the legal guardians of a kid who is that rich would let him do whatever he wants? No they would send him to the best psychologists and they would probably drug him so the death of his parents would be less painful. After all the treatments the kid will have to endured, he porbably won't feel the death of his parents that much to do something about it (It doesn't make sense that Alfred would let a young Bruce whatever he wants like he did on the comics). But If after enduring all that treatment he wants do something about crime, He would probably use his resources to give the police better equipment, He would probably feed the poor and help the city set school and hospital to increase the quality of living, erasing some of the criminals that do it because they are hungry. It doesn't make much sense that he would want to spend years training to be a vigilante when he can much more good now.

If the child was poor and his parents would get killed, He might want to fight crime but he won't have the resources to train himself and to equip himself, and he would also need a job so that he could afford food and other necessities. All that it's quite hard to get while been a vigilante. A person that wants to fight crime and is poor would probably join the Police.

Also there is the problem of genetics, the vigilante would have to have the genetics of an althete or at least he would have to good genetics.

Actually,i´m asking why din´t no rich guy tried to use his resources to help him fight crime. Batman(the super-hero itself ,not his origin story) is a very reallistic super-hero and i´m suprised why anyone din´t try to become him in the first place.

#34 Posted by Anthony_Stark (1162 posts) - - Show Bio

Because you can become a Police Officer and do it within the law.

#35 Posted by Time_and_Power (363 posts) - - Show Bio

Because you can become a Police Officer and do it within the law.

If i´m a very wealthy man, why would i work within limits with a limited arsenal and limited resources? If i´m rich i could buy myself an arsenal and train in various martial arts.

#36 Edited by Anthony_Stark (1162 posts) - - Show Bio

@time_and_power: Or you could become a police officer and gain hundreds of colleagues for backup, free, tested, and useful training, all without having to break the law. And you actually get to know where crimes are happening.

#37 Posted by Time_and_Power (363 posts) - - Show Bio

@time_and_power: Or you could become a police officer and gain hundreds of colleagues for backup, free, tested, and useful training, all without having to break the law. And you actually get to know where crimes are happening.

Good point of view. But let´s think this through. A cop haves superiors,he haves to awnser to someone. A super-hero awnsers to no one but himself.

#38 Posted by DaDivineKing (5521 posts) - - Show Bio

A little thing called "common sense" I think.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
#39 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (17598 posts) - - Show Bio

@time_and_power: and that's never a good thing. People are flawed as f*ck and need to be accountable for their decisions.

#40 Posted by Time_and_Power (363 posts) - - Show Bio

@time_and_power: and that's never a good thing. People are flawed as f*ck and need to be accountable for their decisions.

Depends on the person. If you awser to yourself,you don´t have any limits or juristictions.

#41 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (17598 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Posted by depinhom (12548 posts) - - Show Bio

There are.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#43 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (17598 posts) - - Show Bio

You honestly sound like you care more about not having to answer to people.

Avatar image for mr_nofunallowed
#44 Posted by Mr_NoFunAllowed (2077 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone's a vigilante in Somalia.

Avatar image for staticdwanyemcduffie
#45 Posted by StaticDwanyeMcduffie (6788 posts) - - Show Bio

There is Vigilante but probably in small community, Or there just not as popular look at phoenix Jones

Avatar image for deactivated-5988def3424a7
#46 Posted by deactivated-5988def3424a7 (5386 posts) - - Show Bio

The military and police are my superheroes.

#47 Posted by Amendment50 (12879 posts) - - Show Bio

If the military and police are superheroes they're definitely closer to the Hulk than Superman

#48 Posted by Amendment50 (12879 posts) - - Show Bio

Also lol why would anyone want to be a vigilante

#49 Posted by Brian8559 (135 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, what would a super rich person have to gain from doing all that?

#50 Posted by killerforhire (7054 posts) - - Show Bio

Money is the root of all evil, you'll never see a rich dude use it for good.