• 182 results
#1 Edited by ChillxPill (1401 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems like we're always told to forget about slavery, but America always wants to remind us to never forget 9/11?

Why is this? I've always found this to be weird and wrong.

#2 Edited by Frozen (21074 posts) - - Show Bio

@chillxpill: Lol. I brought this up in my Native American genocide thread. Those who want to 'forget' about slavery are in the minority. We must remember history so we do not repeat it.

Slavery makes 9/11 look insignificant, in all honesty. That is the politically incorrect answer.

#3 Posted by Cream_God (15519 posts) - - Show Bio

Remember and learn from both, dont make the same mistakes again, learn from our history, etc

#4 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think we should forget about slavery, tho we should point out that it isn't something that's only an American issue instead of a terrible thing that followed civilization around for most of human history. I think if we reminded everyone on Earth that its highly likely that no matter who you are there's a good chance one of your ancestors was a slave, it might actually help people get along a little better. Not saying it would end racism or anything but it might help a little.

#5 Posted by RisingBean (9755 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not that one should forget slavery. It's just that nobody should feel like they are owed anything because of it. Some people feel like they are due justice by others because their ancestors were mistreated by the ancestors of those they feel owe them. Nobody owes anybody a thing. Forget about that. As per slavery in itself? Don't forget that America, while the "greatest" country in the world isn't all bubblegum and sunshine. There is a dark undercurrent to how the country came together. Don't forget that.

As for 9/11 which happened in the lifetime of most living today, people are saying don't forget those who passed. Don't forget that bad things can happen and if they do we'll mourn our dead and we'll come together as Americans.

If you feel like "don't forget 9/11" is a call to be racist against those of middle eastern heritage, or that it is meant to be a "us vs them" mentality, you're reading it wrong.

#6 Posted by TheDropkickJD (192 posts) - - Show Bio

They're two very different things.

I don't know if we should rightly forget about slavery. And it's a very touchy subject, but I do almost feel it should be more important to remember 9/11.

Not because of primarily the losses, while sad. I think we should know this is what war does on a casual to other places outside of the US. I feel it holds more of a "This is why war is p. terrible" message and almost helped - well should have wanted people to say "Yeah, war is terrible. Maybe we should stop being war -crazed".

Think the main message behind slavery, while part of an uphill battle, is giving off the message "racism is bad". While not to completely simple it down to that, one does hold more of a relevant message today.

Then again, with all the issues going on in different cities..

It's rough to say, and it's a very touchy issue. Don't think we should necessarily forget either, but I wouldn't put slavery over 9-11 in terms of messages.

#7 Edited by Frozen (21074 posts) - - Show Bio

@risingbean:

If you feel like "don't forget 9/11" is a call to be racist against those of middle eastern heritage

Lol, I have faced this! And I'm not even Middle-Eastern or Religious, I'm just brown. ALOT of people do look into 9/11 as a way of justifying bigotry.

#8 Edited by Frozen (21074 posts) - - Show Bio

@thedropkickjd: It doesn't just give the message that racism is bad, it confirms that America's inception was not rose-tinted. It was built on an ugly foundation (Slavery/Native American Genocide, murderer Colombus, etc).

#9 Posted by TheDropkickJD (192 posts) - - Show Bio

@frozen: Think that can be more so founded upon the way we even discovered the country, and what happened to the natives who used to live here. Not saying that to shoot down the importance of remembering slavery.

I'm saying, in the 21st century, I feel while racism does exist, 9/11 had a meaning a bit more powerful. As to something that Americans had to deal with, which to other places, is a daily life of war. Buildings going down, death of hundreds or thousands.

Both had powerful messages, but if you had to choose which is more important TODAY, is what I mean.

#10 Posted by RisingBean (9755 posts) - - Show Bio

@frozen said:

@risingbean:

If you feel like "don't forget 9/11" is a call to be racist against those of middle eastern heritage

Lol, I have faced this! And I'm not even Middle-Eastern or Religious, I'm just brown. ALOT of people do look into 9/11 as a way of justifying bigotry.

Sadly. I spent a good deal of time in the Army, and a few of the more overly patriotic/zealous guys came off as D-bags. During my first tour in Iraq I had to put boot to ass to one Private who thought he could treat local nationals like crap for no reason other then they lived in Baghdad.

It will be real nice when folks figure out people are people and need to be judged for what they do, not what others who look a bit like them do.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#11 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think we should forget about slavery, tho we should point out that it isn't something that's only an American issue instead of a terrible thing that followed civilization around for most of human history. I think if we reminded everyone on Earth that its highly likely that no matter who you are there's a good chance one of your ancestors was a slave, it might actually help people get along a little better. Not saying it would end racism or anything but it might help a little.

I don't think that would help at all actually.

#12 Posted by Wolverine008 (51027 posts) - - Show Bio

@frozen said:

@risingbean:

Sadly. I spent a good deal of time in the Army, and a few of the more overly patriotic/zealous guys came off as D-bags. During my first tour in Iraq I had to put boot to ass to one Private who thought he could treat local nationals like crap for no reason other then they lived in Baghdad.

It will be real nice when folks figure out people are people and need to be judged for what they do, not what others who look a bit like them do.

My n%gga!

#13 Posted by cattlebattle (17249 posts) - - Show Bio

They are completely different things and they are kind of stupid to compare......

#14 Posted by RisingBean (9755 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by BatWatch (5487 posts) - - Show Bio

I think we should learn from the mistakes that lead to both, but we should not dwell on them constantly and use them as an excuse for bad actions.

#16 Posted by AfricanWilds (762 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Africans voluntarily sold other Africans to the white man.

2. A white man voluntarily abolished slavery.

3. Nobody is trying to forget slavery. You are just, once again, trying to race-bait with a thread.

#17 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by Nefarious (35611 posts) - - Show Bio

We should remember and never forget both.

#19 Edited by ChillxPill (1401 posts) - - Show Bio

@africanwilds: No one is trying to race bait anything. Its a real question.. so stop assuming cause you really don't know what you're talking about making such a statement. Hell, I didn't even mention race and you still made that dumb assumtion.

1. And some didn't.

2. Not every white person liked that idea as shown in history.

#20 Posted by SC (17763 posts) - - Show Bio

Is the thread title another Jaden Smith quote?

#21 Posted by silkyballfro94 (8662 posts) - - Show Bio

We shouldn't forget either and should remember both. But I think it's because 9/11 was 13 years ago and slavery was more than a hundred years ago.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#22 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: People already know and don't care if there is slaves in their family tree

#23 Edited by Noone301994 (22169 posts) - - Show Bio

We shouldn't forget either of them.

No Caption Provided

#24 Edited by Dernman (25687 posts) - - Show Bio

forget =/= moving on.

#25 Edited by Frozen (21074 posts) - - Show Bio

@risingbean said:

@frozen said:

@risingbean:

It's tough to hear that some guys treat people like that, even in the army. 9/11 made people fearful and more suspicious towards brown people, unfortunately.

#26 Edited by TheDropkickJD (192 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc said:

Is the thread title another Jaden Smith quote?

Earned my follow from that.

Can someone caption the thread's title with this picture?

No Caption Provided

#27 Posted by itsomething (3065 posts) - - Show Bio

Because of white supremacy

I guess

#28 Posted by wildvine (14860 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never heard that we should. It's ugly history, sure, but needs to be remembered so it doesn't happen again.

#29 Edited by Dextersinister (8561 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone directly affected by the slave trade is dead, many of the people directly affected by 9/11 are still alive.

#30 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: I know its not everyone but I have noticed a lot of people act like slavery began and ended with America or I hear things like people suggesting that slavery was more okay with one group or another forgetting the fact that no matter what the era or location slaves have always had a s**tty deal. The Roman slave revolts didn't happen for no reason.

#31 Posted by Ultragreenboy (4219 posts) - - Show Bio

Who said to forget about it ?

#32 Posted by bigcimmerian (10340 posts) - - Show Bio

Never forget NATO bombing of Serbia NEVER! You American pigs deserve much worse than that pathetic 9/11 attack.

#33 Edited by JasonHawke (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

Bullshit, every year in social studies class we learn the same shit every year.

Slavery, Holocaust, civil war, revolutionary war, WW1 and 2, etc.

No one shuts up about slavery.

#34 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio

@bigcimmerian: Yes because every single American was personally responsible for that. People like you are the reason a lot of people don't pay attention to crap like that. Unless you think its okay to hold every civilian in your country personally responsible for every bad thing your government has done probably not a good idea to hold another country to that standard.

#35 Edited by bigcimmerian (10340 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@bigcimmerian: Yes because every single American was personally responsible for that. People like you are the reason a lot of people don't pay attention to crap like that. Unless you think its okay to hold every civilian in your country personally responsible for every bad thing your government has done probably not a good idea to hold another country to that standard.

I don't remember American people trying to stop Clinton from ordering the attack, do you have any idea how many people died from that bombing and are still dying from cancer due to depleted uranium? That bombing destroyed my country and allowed muslim terrorists to claim 15% of my country so yes, I hope you all die.

EDIT - also you have no idea how close these bombs were to my home and how horrible it is to watch your country burning.

MOD EDIT - This user admits in this thread that these words were spoken a bit brashly and takes them back. Please don't flag this post any more.

#36 Edited by RisingBean (9755 posts) - - Show Bio

@frozen said:

@risingbean said:

@frozen said:

@risingbean:

It's tough to hear that some guys treat people like that, even in the army. 9/11 made people fearful and more suspicious towards brown people, unfortunately.

Keep in mind it's a small minority. A heavy majority of the Infantrymen I fought with were stand up guys.

I also think most people who were fearful or suspicious of "brown people" probably were fearful and suspicious to begin with.

@bigcimmerian The Clinton stuff with Serbia was just as I was getting to voting age and I'm in my 30's. I see this the same as I see slavery. If you're hoping all the Americans die/holding a grudge with modern Americans, it's a misplaced anger. I'd be surprised that most on CV were much older then ten years old at the time. I get it if you hold a grudge with the administration in charge who did it, but trust me when I say that wishing for the death of average everyday Americans in general is wrong.

Also from a guy who has seen war firsthand, I'm sorry for your losses.

#37 Edited by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio

@bigcimmerian: We didn't have any say in the matter, I wasn't even old enough to vote when Clinton was in office so why do you want me to die over some s**t I didn't even know about till around a decade after it happened?

#38 Posted by Black_Arrow (10183 posts) - - Show Bio

Because white people died in 9/11.

#39 Posted by bigcimmerian (10340 posts) - - Show Bio

@bigcimmerian: We didn't have any say in the matter, I wasn't even old enough to vote when Clinton was in office so why do you want me to die over some s**t I didn't even know about till around a decade after it happened?

You should understand me, I'm angry, of course I don't want inocent people to die, but this world is full of injustice.

#40 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio

@bigcimmerian: You literally just said you hope we all die. I get that it was a terrible thing and all but to blame everyone in a nation for the actions of their government isn't a good thing. We only get the sanitized version of events over here, the internet wasn't giving us access to the world the way it does now so most people in this country were just told that our military was over in Serbia to help remove a dictator or something and we weren't given the details until way after the fact. We didn't get a vote on it, they just went in and did it, then our borderline worthless media went nuts about the president getting a Bj and we didn't hear another thing about Serbia.

#41 Edited by bigcimmerian (10340 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@bigcimmerian: You literally just said you hope we all die. I get that it was a terrible thing and all but to blame everyone in a nation for the actions of their government isn't a good thing. We only get the sanitized version of events over here, the internet wasn't giving us access to the world the way it does now so most people in this country were just told that our military was over in Serbia to help remove a dictator or something and we weren't given the details until way after the fact. We didn't get a vote on it, they just went in and did it, then our borderline worthless media went nuts about the president getting a Bj and we didn't hear another thing about Serbia.

I got mad when I saw title of this thread. You suffered one terrorist attack and everybody loses their minds. Hundreds of thousands have died because of America's imperialism and I didn't see any thread on Comic Vine about it. Well of course they told you they want to remove dictator, but in doing so they killed 5000 people with airstrikes, completely destroyed infrastructure, and after they finished removing ''dictator'' they created the largest american war base in europe on Serbian occupied land. Now that occupied land is paradise for drugs, mercenaries, organ traficking and illegal weapons. And after the bombing Kosovo was ethnically cleansed by Albanians who are today joining the Islamic State in hundreds.

Where is justice in that? And your western media satanized the Serbs so much that I've seen people wishing for all Serbs to die, like I said to you Americans, but I said that while being angry.

#42 Posted by Stormdriven (17209 posts) - - Show Bio

@frozen said:

@risingbean:

You're a great guy

#43 Edited by bigcimmerian (10340 posts) - - Show Bio

@risingbean said:

@frozen said:

@risingbean said:

@frozen said:

@risingbean:

Keep in mind it's a small minority. A heavy majority of the Infantrymen I fought with were stand up guys.

I also think most people who were fearful or suspicious of "brown people" probably were fearful and suspicious to begin with.

@bigcimmerian The Clinton stuff with Serbia was just as I was getting to voting age and I'm in my 30's. I see this the same as I see slavery. If you're hoping all the Americans die/holding a grudge with modern Americans, it's a misplaced anger. I'd be surprised that most on CV were much older then ten years old at the time. I get it if you hold a grudge with the administration in charge who did it, but trust me when I say that wishing for the death of average everyday Americans in general is wrong.

Also from a guy who has seen war firsthand, I'm sorry for your losses.

Would you go to war against somebody, for example Serbia, if your president gave you the order, even if you knew it's wrong? Your actions in Serbia/Kosovo managed to create fully Islamic country in the centre of Europe which are giving hundreds of soldiers for Islamic State in Middle east. Here have a look at the monsters you were ''protecting''.

Loading Video...

#44 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio

@bigcimmerian: I just see this a lot when people act like every American is guilty of something when most of us don't even know whats happening. The truth is our government does what ever its lobbyists tells it to do. The oil companies want us to invade Iraq, they tell our Congress to find an excuse, this is just how it works here. The big rich business cause all the problems and we get the blame.

#45 Posted by bigcimmerian (10340 posts) - - Show Bio

@bigcimmerian: I just see this a lot when people act like every American is guilty of something when most of us don't even know whats happening. The truth is our government does what ever its lobbyists tells it to do. The oil companies want us to invade Iraq, they tell our Congress to find an excuse, this is just how it works here. The big rich business cause all the problems and we get the blame.

You should expect that more often. Many countries were destroyed by your lobbyists. Don't you think you should stop turning your backs to this global problem? Maybe even attacks like 9/11 could be avoided if you stop trying to be world cop lol.

#46 Posted by deadcool_XD (2503 posts) - - Show Bio

This is 100% untrue, everyone remembers slavery and feels terrible and has remorse over it.

#47 Edited by deadcool_XD (2503 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

You should expect that more often. Many countries were destroyed by your lobbyists. Don't you think you should stop turning your backs to this global problem? Maybe even attacks like 9/11 could be avoided if you stop trying to be world cop lol.

Hey big, I have an English essay about U.S if it should be equal to other countries or be a super power. Can I quote your line. it is a pretty good point.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
#48 Posted by thatguywithheadphones (19859 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

I love how you just keep you using the world "you" as if any of us have any really say in the matter. I doubt any high ranking military official or politician visit comicvine.

#49 Posted by RisingBean (9755 posts) - - Show Bio

@stormdriven: I do the best I can.

Would you go to war against somebody, for example Serbia, if your president gave you the order, even if you knew it's wrong? Your actions in Serbia/Kosovo managed to create fully Islamic country in the centre of Europe which are giving hundreds of soldiers for Islamic State in Middle east. Here have a look at the monsters you were ''protecting''.

Loading Video...

If I felt it was an unlawful order, no, I wouldn't go to war. One of the main reasons I got out of the Army was because my First Sergeant, MSG John Hatley, got sent up the river as a political scapegoat. I'm not a guy to blindly follow.

Keep in mind, "my actions" don't apply to Serbia/Kosovo. I wasn't in then. I wasn't even 20 at that point. I'm not going to make excuses for the decisions of politicians, I won't make apologies on behalf of my country. What I'll tell you is that most Americans are decent people, the vast majority of American Soldiers I've met or worked with are decent people and that I, as a person am sorry for your losses.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
#50 Posted by deactivated-097092725 (10555 posts) - - Show Bio

Woah. What the hell just blew up in this thread?