#1 Edited by solar_nerd (2625 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

Here's why:

- It's humorless and dark, assassinating the campy charm of the comics that inspired it.

- Literally the only thing it has in common with Archie Comics is the characters' names. (Not to mention half the characters are made up.)

- The writing is mediocre at best, and at times unintentionally hilarious.

- It tries to break taboos by doing things like having Archie and Ms. Grundy do the devil's tango.

- The only good thing about it is that some of the actors, such as Cole Sprouse and KJ Apa, are actually decent and don't deserve to be in such a dumb show.

I'd like to hear your thoughts, whether you agree or disagree.

#2 Posted by solar_nerd (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to hear some more thoughts on this, whether or not you agree.

Avatar image for theonewhopullsthestrings
#3 Posted by TheOneWhoPullsTheStrings (2746 posts) - - Show Bio

I watched Alex Meyer's videos on it, he does pretty fun reviews even for shows like Arrow, etc. He has 12 on riverdale alone.

You might want to see this playlist:

Riverdale is a mess - Playlist

#4 Posted by Blubber (1178 posts) - - Show Bio

I refused to watch it from day one!

The idea of taking something as wholesome as Archie Comics and turning it into a dark show is just wrong on all accounts.

#5 Posted by TheOneWhoPullsTheStrings (2746 posts) - - Show Bio
@blubber said:

The idea of taking something as wholesome as Archie Comics and turning it into a dark show is just wrong on all accounts.

That reminds me exactly of something else. This is why I won't watch Sabrina on Netflix tbh. I don't care if there is other source material. I grew up watching Sabrina: The Teenage Witch. It was a lighthearted, corny style show. But it was fun.

The new one just seems so... Dark, an entirely different atmosphere, and kind of a rip-off hogwarts. With the gloominess the "darkness show is just wrong on all the wrong accounts" - as you put it.

Avatar image for theoneabovelife
#6 Posted by TheOneAboveLife (472 posts) - - Show Bio

@solar_nerd: I literally thought I was the only one who hated the show. A next big one I hate is “13 Reasons Why” or as I like to call it, “13 Reasons Why not to watch it.” Oh and another name for it, “13 Reasons Why it’s overrated.”

#7 Posted by gunmetalgrey (4675 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's why:

- It's humorless and dark, assassinating the campy charm of the comics that inspired it.

- Literally the only thing it has in common with Archie Comics is the characters' names. (Not to mention half the characters are made up.)

- The writing is mediocre at best, and at times unintentionally hilarious.

- It tries to break taboos by doing things like having Archie and his teacher do the devil's tango.

- The only good thing about it is that some of the actors, such as Cole Sprouse and KJ Apa, are actually decent and don't deserve to be in such a dumb show.

I'd like to hear your thoughts, whether you agree or disagree.

The underlined is the only legitimate critique. The other statements basically boil down to "I don't like it, therefore it sucks".

I do agree that the writing is pretty mediocre. As a Twin Peaks fan, I can see what they're going for, but I've already seen it done better.

@blubber said:

That reminds me exactly of something else. This is why I won't watch Sabrina on Netflix tbh. I don't care if there is other source material. I grew up watching Sabrina: The Teenage Witch. It was a lighthearted, corny style show. But it was fun.

The new one just seems so... Dark, an entirely different atmosphere, and kind of a rip-off hogwarts. With the gloominess the "darkness show is just wrong on all the wrong accounts" - as you put it.

Pretty much the same thing with these. Though, at least these actually are just statements of why you don't like it and not why it's a bad show.

#8 Posted by Mutant1230 (6385 posts) - - Show Bio

Ahem

Points to avatar.

#9 Posted by solar_nerd (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

@blubber said:

I've heard that one is actually good.

#10 Posted by Lunacyde (28109 posts) - - Show Bio

Sabrina was good in my opinion.

#11 Edited by TheOneWhoPullsTheStrings (2746 posts) - - Show Bio

@lunacyde:

I wonder if this is what it felt when fans of the West Batman series felt when their corny, light view of him was shown to murder people and be dark and broody at times. Now it is well established in the lore compared to the 60s. Such completely different tones.

#12 Posted by Zachary_Stomps (23 posts) - - Show Bio

Because you suck.

#13 Posted by FaradaySloth (8536 posts) - - Show Bio

We need a thread for the obvious truth?

#14 Posted by Lunacyde (28109 posts) - - Show Bio

@theonewhopullsthestrings: Yeah, I think there is some truth to that.

Batman did have elements of darkness from the beginning though.

#15 Posted by the_stegman (40142 posts) - - Show Bio

I literally watch only for Camila Mendes. I think she's one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen.

#16 Posted by solar_nerd (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

I literally watch only for Camila Mendes. I think she's one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen.

All of the characters are "hot".

#17 Posted by the_stegman (40142 posts) - - Show Bio

@solar_nerd: It's CW, of course. But imo she's outstandingly so.

#18 Posted by solar_nerd (2625 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by kyrees (13507 posts) - - Show Bio

@blubber said:

my only reason to not watch it.

#20 Posted by Amonfire1776 (2919 posts) - - Show Bio

As one of the biggest Archie Comics fans on this site I have to disagree with everything that was said here. Firstly, Riverdale isn't a dark adaptation of the comics that are campy...it is similar to modern Archie Horror comics and Archie's Wierd Mysteries which often had sinister undertones and in some cases are even darker. Secondly...Archie has always had dark story lines...such as Betty almost commiting suicide because of a cursed teddy bear...and I love Riverdale has shaken up the old ideas and introduced Archie to a whole new generation. Riverdale by no means is perfect but I can't think of one Drama on TV that is any better and you are all doing youselves a huge disfavor by not watching the chilling adventures of Sabrina. The show is based off of the comics of the same name and the humor, acting, storyline, and characters are amazing. By the way very few of these characters are made up...the Archie universe is as vast as Marvel and DC after all.