Why "murder" and "kill" two words used if tow have similar meaning?

game_king597

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Can someone explain this why two words for similar meaning?

Do they carries different sense?

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@game_king597: different degrees of murder. Killing someone is the general process, homocide.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

murder is a cold blooded killing which is always unethical while killing isn't like that. Soldiers kill on the battlefield

basically murder is a crime while killing may or may not be

Amonfire1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Killing something is to end the life of an organism. For example, our immune system kills countless bacteria in our bodies everyday in order to protect our lives. In contrast, murder is very specific in my view and that is the act of a sentient being (or group) actively trying to kill another sentient being or beings. It gets complicated when we are talking about warfare and there are exceptions to this general rule, but overall murder is far more specific than killing.

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Murder usually is used when you pre-emptively plan to kill someone.

You can kill someone without it being murder.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Murder is the illegal act of killing, specifically other people (more technically-speaking, homocide). In this way, you can put it in the same category as suicide, manslaughter or regicide, which are all specific types of illegal killing.

However, killing in and of itself isn't necessarily illegal. You can kill a roach, kill a racoon or kill fly, and so forth. With people, the state might legally use lethal force against someone, such as an inmate on death row or a policeman killing a belligerent in the line of duty (#controversy)

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff45903d43d7
deactivated-5ff45903d43d7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People here already answered, but i would add that many words have the same meaning.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They really don't have the same meaning. You wouldn't say "I murdered a mosquito that landed on my arm."

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Murder has a stronger negative connotation than kill. You'd only use it if you want to draw attention to the immortality of the act or describe the killing as something bad.

"I killed him" reads as a more matter-of-fact statement.

"I murdered him" casts the act in a negative light that is explicitly drawing attention to the illegal nature of the crime.

This also carries over to law. Killing is an action. Murder is the crime of unlawfully killing a person.

Rhubarb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They mean different things.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Killing is a generic term for any action that involves termination of life (as it apply to living organism) or termination of operation (as it applies to processes).

Murder is an intentional act of killing directed to an organism, where the action of killing is motivated by malicious intent, hatred, envy/jealousy, or indignation/revenge as opposed to killing for self-preservation or killing someone accidentally via negligence.

Avatar image for deactivated-60758db60e021
deactivated-60758db60e021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Murder generally implies intent. Killing is just the general act of homicide.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13 Lunacyde  Moderator

Yeah, pretty much what he said^.

Killing is ending the life of a living being.

Murder is killing with intent.

SeaGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly tons of stuff have the different words for the same meaning

supper/dinner

child/kid

fire/flame

car/automobile

sad/depressed

dad/father

mom/mother

etc.

There's a reason people say English is the hardest language to learn

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lunacyde  Moderator

@seagod: Actually, though they are used synonymously today dinner and supper are not actually the same thing.

SeaGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunacyde: yeah true. However nowadays they do pretty much. I mean historically they weren't but the way language evolves stuff can take on new meanings. Like gay can mean happy but can also be referring to a homosexual.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17 Zetsu-San  Online

People here already answered, but i would add that many words have the same meaning.

I'd add that many words can have the same literal definitions while having different colloquial usages and/or connotations.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff45903d43d7
deactivated-5ff45903d43d7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsu-san: I agree 👍

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lunacyde  Moderator

@seagod: Yeah, absolutely.

Taking it back to the topic, killing and murder do have appreciably different meanings however because murder is a specific subtype of killing by definition. All murder is killing, but not all killing is murder. Much like all squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares.

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Murder is killing someone with malice aforethought.

Killing is a much broader term and could be used in a blameless context - such as killing someone in defence of others from an aggressor.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The distinction between the two is Judeo-Christian in nature, especially as far as the English language goes. Murder is a sin, while killing is not, even though they're both bad. I think many of the posters who responded realized this but are trying to be cute about it. I think English is a second language for this poster.

Steve40L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

because there's rarely one word to explain something. Murder also specifies a human killing something. An animal can kill, but it's never referred to as murder.

Steve40L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 It's literally not. The first instance of the word murder predates the translation of the bible into English.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ghostodoofus2  Online

Would you call someone who killed a violent mugger in self-defense a murderer? No. There's your answer.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dshipp17
@steve40l said:

@dshipp17 It's literally not. The first instance of the word murder predates the translation of the bible into English.

Sure, it is, as I said Judeo-Christian; the distinction is made in the Old Testament so we're first talking Hebrew; the decision to translate the Bible into English didn't somehow affix the morality associated with Judaism and Christianity into Christian at that moment. Sure, they were probably separating killing and murdering long before they translated the Bible into English but it doesn't necessarily separate it from Judaism and Christianity, as the Christian experience had diffused into the cultures that spoke English; for a long time, only the Catholic church had the Bible or the text that was eventually used to compose the Bible, but the Jews still had their part of this Holy Text.

Loading Video...
Steve40L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 well yeah, the bible had some pretty big effects on society, and I'm too sick to fact check it's exact linguistic effects on the word murder, but it certainly wasn't the first thing to make the two different

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@steve40l said:

@dshipp17 well yeah, the bible had some pretty big effects on society, and I'm too sick to fact check it's exact linguistic effects on the word murder, but it certainly wasn't the first thing to make the two different

There's a possibility that the Old Testament did in fact create the distinction but it was especially so, after Christianity started to develop.

BraveBold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You don’t murder an ant

CAV_Tighten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CAV_Tighten

Every CV user is a legit second grader. Like that's when you all quit school

noobsnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's an element of mens rea when it comes to murder.

Not necessarily so when it comes to killing.