• 80 results
#51 Edited by Setherial (225 posts) - - Show Bio

For the same reason why nobody wants to live in a replica of George Orwell's 1984.

#52 Posted by sopranosfan2 (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Who decides where the line is? Whay words or phrases are considered racist and toward who and from who? Look at it this way, now racism is frowned upon by normal society that racist are looked down on a lot more than the people they talk negatively about.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#53 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45596 posts) - - Show Bio

It is

#54 Edited by LaserLambert (641 posts) - - Show Bio

What is racist and what isn't? If it becomes illegal to offend someone, there is a slippery slope, if you ban certain words, new words will just take their place.

you aren't going to change what someone thinks by making it illegal to speak it, if anything that would bottle the hate up more and the result would be worse.

#55 Posted by deadpoolrules (4818 posts) - - Show Bio

Freedom of speech allows you to say what you want. We should stick by this

Avatar image for jean_luc_lebeau
#56 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (82985 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm actually patriotic, but most of Southern U.S. used to belong to Mexico, there always illeagally going their, fair enough. As far as the other parts, stay out!

Aaaaaand you trippin
Aaaaaand you trippin

#57 Posted by Vortex13 (12140 posts) - - Show Bio

Better question would be why is bigotry legal?

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
#58 Edited by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (7838 posts) - - Show Bio

Freedom of speech.

#59 Posted by blackadamFTW (7882 posts) - - Show Bio
#60 Edited by isaac_clarke (5958 posts) - - Show Bio

Freedom of speech doesn't allow you to yell "fire" in a theater. So it's not like you can legally say anything you want.

Don't forget about Fighting Words (1942) - but yeah here in the states you can be vocally as awful as you want as a person as long as you make sure not to talk about the wrong people. It's really a give and take, otherwise we'd have to start regulating a lot of things people say that is morally questionable.

#61 Edited by willpayton (18418 posts) - - Show Bio

Racism on its own is just a thought, and we dont normally make thoughts illegal.

But, of course, sometimes people do try. Whenever you make laws that punish people based on thoughts, or motivations, it's usually a very bad idea. It's also something that, if you logically follow it to its conclusions, doesnt give you what you want.

This is why I think that "hate crime" laws are stupid. They dont punish based on an act, they punish based on motivation. This is different from differentiating based on "intent", which laws often do. I kill someone with malice... this is murder. I kill someone to defend myself... perfectly legal. Same act, different intent. But, what happens if you throw motivation into it? If I murder someone, how is that different from if I murder them because of racism? Is the murder of one victim less important, less worthy of punishment? What if I decide that I want you to go to heaven? I kill you. Is that then a noble thing? My motivation was good, so therefore it's not murder? Should we encourage this behavior? Does the victim care that you murdered them cause you wanted their money, or hated them, or loved them?

#62 Edited by knighthood (1917 posts) - - Show Bio

In short, because stupidity is legal.

This

#63 Posted by joshmightbe (27460 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton: Also their are many crimes committed out of hate that have nothing to do with race, religion or social group. Sometimes a guy just hates another guy for totally personal reasons. Why don't these crimes count under hate crime laws?

#64 Posted by AweSam (7527 posts) - - Show Bio

Because people would just find another reason to hate each other. Racism isn't the issue.

#65 Edited by God_Spawn (40902 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's just arrest people for being ignorant and stupid then.

#66 Posted by joshmightbe (27460 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: Well we'd have to arrest the entire congress and senate if we did that

#67 Edited by willpayton (18418 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's just arrest people for being ignorant and stupid then.

There's not enough prisons in the world.

#68 Posted by cameron83 (8540 posts) - - Show Bio

@omega_man_: what does that have to do with anything....did he say something simple-minded about white people by assuming that they were racist towards minorities (It seems as if I am being sarcastic,but I am not,I really want to know...did he edit his comment)?

#69 Posted by joshmightbe (27460 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton: there would be around 14 free people left, Almost everyone has moments of ignorance and stupidity.

#70 Posted by PurpleCandy (984 posts) - - Show Bio
#71 Posted by JamesKM716 (2018 posts) - - Show Bio

Simply being racist isn't a detriment to anyone's safety yelling fire in a theater is.

Avatar image for jean_luc_lebeau
#72 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (82985 posts) - - Show Bio
#73 Edited by InnerSuperman (897 posts) - - Show Bio

no but parents should have to pass a test before they have kids.

#74 Posted by ComicMan24 (147651 posts) - - Show Bio

People have the right to say and think whatever they want. Just because you don't agree with it, doesn't mean you can make it illegal.

#75 Posted by lykopis (10868 posts) - - Show Bio

If someone is using a public venue in which to promote hatred and violence towards a specific ethnicity or gender or sexual orientation, it's illegal. If that same person hires out a room privately and sells tickets to the event and says the same things? Lawful - barely, at least here in Canada. While it probably wouldn't carry through should news of this gathering become public (it would be picketed at the very least), people still have the right to believe in whatever they want.

Racism is mostly socially unacceptable. Someone who uses racial slurs in a public forum is really rare where I am and when it does happen I would (and have) confronted people. But if he/she was hauled off by a police officer because of what they said, I would be really upset. Having racism declared illegal does nothing in preventing it -- it would only send it more underground where it can fester, unaddressed. Better to have those ignoramuses out in the open where we can ridicule them. That too is considered freedom of speech and if more of us reacted this way to racism, I suspect it would be less prevalent.

#76 Posted by Pyrogram (45618 posts) - - Show Bio

See, I disagree, in the UK section 5 of the public order act can let the police do this beacuse the abuse may cause "alarm or distress" to members of the public, so in the UK it would be acceptable, to stop members of the public, going about their daily business not wanting to hear racist slurs feeling alarmed.

@lykopis said:

Someone who uses racial slurs in a public forum is really rare where I am and when it does happen I would (and have) confronted people. But if he/she was hauled off by a police officer because of what they said, I would be really upset

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
#77 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (5364 posts) - - Show Bio

If it were illegal, I'd have to find a dealer to perform hate crimes on me. It's too much hassle.

#78 Posted by lykopis (10868 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

See, I disagree, in the UK section 5 of the public order act can let the police do this beacuse the abuse may cause "alarm or distress" to members of the public, so in the UK it would be acceptable, to stop members of the public, going about their daily business not wanting to hear racist slurs feeling alarmed.

@lykopis said:

Someone who uses racial slurs in a public forum is really rare where I am and when it does happen I would (and have) confronted people. But if he/she was hauled off by a police officer because of what they said, I would be really upset

I see. Well, I am sure it can be listed here under "public disturbance" but I would still be uncomfortable with it. If they are in the middle of a group of people of whom they are being belligerent and combative through a racist attitude then I agree. No one should be subjected to that kind of verbal abuse but when in a social environment and someone says something racist in passing, I do think a citizen's arrest would be a bit much. But -- who knows. We don't know how effective it would be.

#79 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6532 posts) - - Show Bio

Even though racism is horrible, making racism illegal is like saying that we have to make hatred illegal. Racism is just another form of hatred and hatred is often apart of human nature, something that we can't eliminate at all. Also, even if racism becomes illegal, there will be other ways for people to hate other people for being different such as sexism. If racism is illegal, then it could cause even bigger consequences for the people because they keep the hatred bottled up and it could explode into an unbearable rage where they might want to kill someone because of their race. It would be best to confront that person about their racist views rather than making it illegal and not allowing them and others to talk it over.

Avatar image for betatesthighlander1
#80 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7746 posts) - - Show Bio

Freedom of speech doesn't allow you to yell "fire" in a theater. So it's not like you can legally say anything you want.

how would the law define racism?