Why Do Some People Idolize Serial Killers/Murderers?

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By SpitfirePanda

This is a disturbing topic to me. There are fan pairings out there in fan fiction land where the writer often pairs themselves (or the reader or some mary sue OC) with monster like Jeff the Killer or Slender Man. This has led to at least two known attempted murders in the name of Slenderman.

Worse yet, there's been a fan page for the Boston Marathon Bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev with tons of people (many of them girls) saying that he's too cute to have committed that crime.

In that vein there are women marrying men on death row! If that guy were free he'd murder that woman after doing horrible things to her, yet she marries him anyway? Why?

Why do these people seem drawn to evil whether it's fictional or some vile murderer stuck in a prison cell? Why?!?!?!?!?

Links to some of my sources for this:

http://www.newsweek.com/2014/08/22/girls-who-tried-kill-slender-man-264218.html

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jul/10/news/la-ol-dzhokhar-tsarnaev-free-jahar-fangirls-20130710

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/120321/charles-manson-marrying-afton-elaine-burton-why-would-she-wed-him

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MasterKungFu

very very disturbing news indeed...

bad guys get idolized...

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Transformers1024

Because some people are literal idiots and take it a few steps too far.

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Vivide

people want what they cannot do/be, why do you think villains are popular?

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kyrees

stockholm syndrome, traumatic bonding or violence disassociation/romantization

Avatar image for deactivated-579ecfa921bb2
deactivated-579ecfa921bb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because they don't understand how serious some of it is like the Boston bomber.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#7  Edited By TheCannon

What's there to not like?

Avatar image for portlandsbatman
PortlandsBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Many people idolize a person because of the sureness with which they do things. Also some people, especially youth, feel powerless and this can lead them to idolize someone that doesn't conform to the rules.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Many of these kinds of people are outcasts, loners, and "freaks". Idolizing something taboo, disturbing, and/or alien to the society justifies their hate for the world they live in. This is the same reason why so many people parroted Hitler in the early 40's, Mao Zedong in the 60's, and Radical Islamism today.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're all moronic tools that don't realize that the reason they are outcasts to society is that they deserve to be?

How about that?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Ewww.

TheMultiverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheMultiverse

Look up "Dependent Personality Disorder". Basically, Some people had a terrible upbringing, by terrible parents that were either overly narcissistic, overly dependent or most likely both.

If you grow up in a household in which your father, or brother (or mother or sisters) is a narcissistic monster then you'll either be forced to love them, or learn to be like them. It can become a "follow the leader" life long type of Stockholm Syndrome. Basically, a bad upbringing, with bad moral / mental raising = chicks that love psychos, because they were forced to when they were young.

I like psychology lol

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@vivide said:

people want what they cannot do/be, why do you think villains are popular?

Basically this.

It's the same reason why people gravitate towards characters like the Joker, Michael Myers and Hannibal Lector. All though these are just characters and not real but to many people actual killers aren't "real" either. They are celebrities who have had books, games and movies made about them, so even though these people have committed horrible acts and scarred real people many don't see much difference between Jack the Ripper and Ted Bundy than they do Joker or Dracula.

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: look at the ladies during the Richard Ramirez court hearings and Ted Bundy cases

Personally I like noblebright types more

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some will tell you that it is part of the human psyche: The classical combo Eros+Thanatos.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're crazy.

aquaman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, idolizing fictional murderers aren't that bad, just don't ACTUALLY idolize them, like the people you mentioned. Other than taking it to the extreme, there is nothing with fan fiction about people like Freddy Kreuger or Slenderman as they are fake.

However, ACTUALLY idolizing REAL serial killers and murderers? That... is just sick. Those people need help, pronto. Like that girl who just married Charles Manson. I will put good money on the table that she may have something wrong with her.

Now, I can understand if someone just says the person is cute or attractive. I admit, Bundy was a pretty good looking guy.

Ultragreenboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The people that idolize them are the people that life is wasted on.

KingWillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KingWillie

I'm one of those people who is very interested in serial killers and mass murderers and stuff. They're very fascinating, to learn what brought them to that point and what was goin through their minds. People like Jeffrey Dahmer, Ted Bundy, Luis Garavito, John Wayne Gacy. Interesting stuff man.

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Blade_R

I don't idolize murderers but there are some fictional ones I am a fan of, such as Michael Myers, Jason Voorhees, and Leatherface but that's because im a fan of their respective series, not because I condone killing people or think its cool. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. No different than being a Carnage or Joker fan.

As for the real ones , I like reading about and researching some of them ("Jack The Ripper", H.H Holmes, Ed Gein) but in no way do I idolize or like them.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By MasterKungFu

fictional serial killers or real life serial killers...

rev_sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do people idolize pop singers. People do weird things all the time.