Why do people keep watching Transformers films?

• 81 results
Avatar image for surfingthehighway
SurfingtheHighway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I recently read an article (shared by this very site) that stated Guardians of the Galaxy is now the second highest-grossing motion picture of the year... right behind Transformers: Age of Extinction.

While I loved Guardians, I can't really say that it is a flawless film. It does, however, feature lovable and relatable characters, beautiful costumes and settings, good acting (and voice acting) amazing visuals and a very funny script. Transformers is inferior to Guardians in all of these categories except visuals (when you can understand what's going on on the screen, that is) yet it has sold far more tickets. Not only that, but Transformers movies feature blatant product placement and female characters with no screen presence or personality, only so wide takes can include their butts somewhere.

Look, I understand that teenagers tend to go to the movies in groups and that they often prefer watching huge blockbusters... but there were so many great blockbusters to choose from this year! Days of Future Past, The Winter Soldier, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, The Lego Movie and Guardians of the Galaxy were all superior to the 4 Transformers movies combined... I just don't get it.

I'm sorry for ranting, but the fact that every movie Michael Bay directs tops the box office in its respective year really grinds my gears. Why do you think that is?

SurfingtheHighway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KingVenus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

their movies are great, why wouldn't we watch them?

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jashro44

To be honest the only transformers I have seen is the first....What was wrong with the other 3 that made them so bad? My one friend actually said they were pretty good.....

SurfingtheHighway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingvenus: Do you really think Transformers 4 deserves to be above Days of Future Past, Guardians or Planet of the Apes?

KingVenus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@jashro44 said:

To be honest the only transformers I have seen is the first....What was wrong with the other 3 that made them so bad? My one friend actually said they were pretty good.....

The first one was actually kind of good. The second and third(Especially the third) just kind of went overboard with the crude, puerile humor, smothering of CGI, etc.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

While I agree that Days of Future Past, The Winter Soldier, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, The Lego Movie and Guardians of the Galaxy were better than Transformers it wasn't bad, when you go see a Micheal Bay film you go for what it is action, a$$, explosions and visuals. Also not everyone will agree with us on the fact that Days of Future Past, The Winter Soldier, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, The Lego Movie and Guardians of the Galaxy were better, they might actually like T4 more.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:

The first one was actually kind of good. The second and third(Especially the third) just kind of went overboard with the crude, puerile humor, smothering of CGI, etc.

I'll take your word, I thought the first one was good. I remember my friend saying the girl that replaced megan fox was really hot so not sure if he really payed attention to the plot in that one...

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a well-known franchise and is known for being entertaining, rather than good.

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Pop is the opposite of Critically Acclaimed. One aims for the lowest common denominator and one aims high. Pop music sucks compared to good music, but the Pop fans prefer the totally vapid bubblegum stuff. They actually have the same reaction to Jazz that you have to Transformers.

Pop is 'popular' because it's soulless, not in spite of it. This is the nature of our reality and so shall it be for all time.

The most popular Youtube vid in the world is probably an old lady falling face first into cat poop. If Einstein was reincarnated and explained the whole Universe in a Youtube vid it would have 100 views.

SurfingtheHighway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:

If you've seen one you've seen them all, that is precisely the problem. Characters are one-dimensional, women are just eye candy and fight scenes are almost indecipherable. In the second one Shia Labeouf dies and goes to Transformer Heaven where he is sent back to Earth and after that I decided I wouldn't waste my money anymore. I never saw 3 or 4 in the theater, but I saw 3 on blu-ray at a friend's and it was more of the same thing.
I haven't seen the fourth installment yet, but I don't think I will considering 90% of critics have absolutely slaughtered it.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's only one Transformer film. The first one.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

The first is watchable. The rest are terrible. Especially 2 and 4.

SurfingtheHighway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edblank said:

Pop is the opposite of Critically Acclaimed. One aims for the lowest common denominator and one aims high. Pop music sucks compared to good music, but the Pop fans prefer the totally vapid bubblegum stuff. They actually have the same reaction to Jazz that you have to Transformers.

Pop is 'popular' because it's soulless, not in spite of it. This is the nature of our reality and so shall it be for all time.

The most popular Youtube vid in the world is probably an old lady falling face first into cat poop. If Einstein was reincarnated and explained the whole Universe in a Youtube vid it would have 100 views.

You could have just added /thread at the end of your comment, 'cause that was one hell of a reply. I think I understand it much better now...

SurfingtheHighway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People just love seeing transforming robots.

rev_sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Isn't it obvious. Because they like them now get over it.

SurfingtheHighway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I agree that Days of Future Past, The Winter Soldier, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, The Lego Movie and Guardians of the Galaxy were better than Transformers it wasn't bad, when you go see a Micheal Bay film you go for what it is action, a$$, explosions and visuals. Also not everyone will agree with us on the fact that Days of Future Past, The Winter Soldier, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, The Lego Movie and Guardians of the Galaxy were better, they might actually like T4 more.

I get that, and I understand that sometimes one goes to the cinema looking for a distraction and a fight scene or two... that being said, I'd take the future sentinels scenes in DOFP or the Helicarrier battle in TWS over any battle in the Transformers franchise. Half the time I don't even know what I'm looking at. The colour schemes and overall designs of most transformers leaves a lot to be desired.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Because I watch everything, good or bad. Its not about not seeing something else to see Transformers.

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

It rocks that's why. Till now i still repeat dark of the moon and age of extinction they are crazy. Though i love guardians of the galaxy also it is in my top 5 2014 movies

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's only one Transformer film. The first one.

Loading Video...

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does it really matter?

SurfingtheHighway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r: It does to me. I'm a film student myself so finding out why viewers prefer one movie to the other is important. Not to mention I genuinely don't get where their popularity comes from; they just aren't my cup of tea.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the Transformers movies because of the way they transform, the action, some of them are pretty funny, and it's just nice seeing Optimus kick a**. I do agree that X-Men, GotG, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and The Winter Soldier were better, but I still enjoyed it(despite the new way Galvatron and them transform and the fact that the funny parts seemed rushed and forced, plus the terrible transition from the third movie). But you can't win em all. Lol

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't know....I.....I just don't know

SurfingtheHighway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thevivas: The transformations have been making my mouth fall open since the first film. If there is one thing I genuinely enjoy about the franchise, it's how beautifully the transformations are animated.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I only liked the first one. The rest were tolerable, but more because of the side characters. Bumble Bee I have a carcrush on.

As for most money making film = best film ever, nah. This will never be true. The points made in the OP help support my opinion.

sabracadabra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stopped watching/caring after the second one.

SurfingtheHighway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola said:

I only liked the first one. The rest were tolerable, but more because of the side characters. Bumble Bee I have a carcrush on.

It's understandable, Bumblebee is a Camaro.

As for most money making film = best film ever, nah. This will never be true. The points made in the OP help support my opinion.

I know. I'm not trying to talk people into seeing Citizen Kane or anything, I'm just asking what makes Transformers 4 the most succesful blockbuster of the year... specially with such good competition. I don't know what makes it more appealing to the general audience than any of the other movies I listed, which is why I made this thread.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#35  Edited By BumpyBoo  Moderator
laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola said:

It's understandable, Bumblebee is a Camaro.

I know. I'm not trying to talk people into seeing Citizen Kane or anything, I'm just asking what makes Transformers 4 the most succesful blockbuster of the year... specially with such good competition. I don't know what makes it more appealing to the general audience than any of the other movies I listed, which is why I made this thread.

Haha, yeah, I get it. I guess it's what everyone else is pointing out in the thread, the whole explosion,boobs, and low level banter combo. Plus, there is already a huge marketing giant behind the movies, with all the toys and stuff for kids. It disappoints me that movies like that get top billing since it means more of the same from other production houses. Maybe with all the superhero movies coming out, there will be more competition and Transformer movies will be less and less worth seeing. Unless Bay actually thinks audiences deserve a film where our mental capacity can be engaged past Neanderthal.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are okay for one time watch specially if you are bored.

Lethologica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because I watch everything, so that I may develop my opinion.

Gjgp27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Primus hates us.

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blame the kids. And what Gjgp27 said.

Might as well let Unicron destroy us all.

pinecone1510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was under the influence and paid extra to get d-box roller-coster chair. I must say i was disappointed on both counts. The promise of Dinosaurs was also cool but they managed to #!$% that up too. (I really miss Dinosaurs i know Jurassic World is coming but Man has it been a long wait). Easily my worse movie of the year so far.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Because they deliver on huge cinematic fights and top notch visual effects. It's the only reason I watched them.

Marshall_Long

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because their CGI gold.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 rogueshadow  Moderator

Because explosions.

SurfingtheHighway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pinecone said:

I was under the influence and paid extra to get d-box roller-coster chair. I must say i was disappointed on both counts. The promise of Dinosaurs was also cool but they managed to #!$% that up too. (I really miss Dinosaurs i know Jurassic World is coming but Man has it been a long wait). Easily my worse movie of the year so far.

I used to love Beast Wars as a kid. When I heard they were going to make an appearance I even considered watching it... then I was told that they only had about 10 minutes of screentime...

Because they deliver on huge cinematic fights and top notch visual effects. It's the only reason I watched them.

I agree with the visual effects, the transformations in particular are superb. However, do you really find the fights all that great? I think they could be improved upon by giving each robot a more unique design.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edblank said:

That's ignoring the fact that most people don't have the education in physics to understand most of what Einstein would be talking about. On the hand, anyone from any job, education level, walk of life etc could possibly understand the humour behind those Youtube 'fail' videos.

You could apply that same logic to films. Not everyone can understand the themes, undertones, vision behind some of the more heavy hitting films, yet more people can understand how cool and entertaining an explosion filled action scene can be.

chaos911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well the first one came out when I was seven and the last one came out when I was entering high school so you could say people kind of grew up with them. I love them despite how terrible they are

SurfingtheHighway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd said:

@edblank said:

That's ignoring the fact that most people don't have the education in physics to understand most of what Einstein would be talking about. On the hand, anyone from any job, education level, walk of life etc could possibly understand the humour behind those Youtube 'fail' videos.

You could apply that same logic to films. Not everyone can understand the themes, undertones, vision behind some of the more heavy hitting films, yet more people can understand how cool and entertaining an explosion filled action scene can be.

That's an excellent response, and I do understand. There are people who'd choose a cheeseburger before any meal at a 5-star restaurant without even considering the second option. However, you should bare in mind that I never compared Transformers 4 to 12 Angry Men or Gone With the Wind, I'm comparing it with other blockbusters that require a similar level of culture and knowledge to be understood. There was no deep undertone behind Guardians of the Galaxy, yet I still find it to be a much better movie in many regards as stated in the OP.

Transformers movies have topped the box-office 4 times in a row in spite of their repetitiveness and abismal reviews... I guess it's just a cinematic phenomenom that I'll never be able to understand...

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#50  Edited By Rouflex

Well Actually i havent seen

Days of Future Past, The Winter Soldier, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, The Lego Movie, Guardians of the Galaxy and Transformers

Yet.