Why are short jokes still ok?

• 101 results
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Seriously, if you make fun of people over race, gender, sexuality or being fat you got a giant list of people waiting to call you a jackass but everybody still thinks short jokes are funny. Its not like I can do anything about it, I can't pass for 6 foot.

I can't decide to be short anymore than a black guy can decide to be black. (No Im not comparing short jokes to racism, just using the example to make a point.)

LpnQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Dont get mad over what you cant control.

Shazam99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Shazam99

Eh, just take the joke. Who cares about height. If you can take flaws (not saying being short is a flaw) and make them part of your personality, it just makes you that much more endearing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Because they're jokes.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lpnq: Not mad about it, just think its weird.

removekebab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ask your mom.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liberty-prime: What actions could I preform to make myself not short? If you're little form is gonna toss that up you need to back it up. Not like diet and exercise is gonna make me taller, its genetic, my dad was short as was his dad.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@joshmightbe said:

Seriously, if you make fun of people over race, gender, sexuality or being fat you got a giant list of people waiting to call you a jackass but everybody still thinks short jokes are funny. Its not like I can do anything about it, I can't pass for 6 foot.

I can't decide to be short anymore than a black guy can decide to be black. (No Im not comparing short jokes to racism, just using the example to make a point.)

I don't give a shit to be honest. I make jokes about race, gender, sexuality and fat jokes all the time. I wouldn't discriminate between what I can joke about.

If someone gives you shtick for making a joke about gender or race, that means you have to make more jokes about them. People who get triggered by stuff like that need to learn to grow a thicker skin.

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lpnq said:

Dont get mad over what you cant control.

exactly. just live with what you got! Jokes only get to you if you let them.

Avatar image for deactivated-599632ff76068
deactivated-599632ff76068

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Coming from a short guy: get over it, pipsqueak.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb6c77c8d900
deactivated-5fb6c77c8d900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because in my mind, and alot of other people, PC can go screw itself.

People, just like me have to deal with jokes about whatever. If you're short and I think of a witty and relevant insuly all in good fun, that's on me.

Laugh about it.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

The point isn't him being mad. The point is why is it more acceptable to joke about this but not acceptable to make fat jokes, to pick one of his examples. I've never thought about it before but I've never made a short joke either so.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 juiceboks  Moderator

Honestly what's the worst thing someone can say to you for being short? A Danny Devito joke? Someone making a snide comment about your girlfriend being taller than you? People get up in arms over jokes regarding race, gender and weight because our society pushes for certain archetypes and images of the ideal "looks" regarding these things. Height doesn't really come up as much as the color of your skin or how many folds on your neck you have in conversations regarding what's attractive by societal standards.

Being Black comes with a slew of connotations and stereotypes that people can choose to embrace or reject on several levels, and these things can affect your life in practically every facet. Race is a hot topic because there's plenty of room for discussion to be had, and any subject that's popular is of course going to contain a lot people who have their emotions invested in it. Being short doesn't have that quality to anywhere near that extent..most people really don't care much about someone's height relative to other physical characteristics.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

All jokes are okay if they're funny.

Aimless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thing is,short jokes aren't very offensive by nature because at the end of the day,height really doesn't matter.

Jokes about races,gender and religion are a much more taboo topic because many people are discriminated or suffer oppression because of them.

You won't ever suffer from height discrimination or be assaulted because you're short.Heck,even fat shaming is a more taboo topic because fat people are bullied way more than short people.

Ouroborik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly what's the worst thing someone can say to you for being short? A Danny Devito joke? Someone making a snide comment about your girlfriend being taller than you? People get up in arms over jokes regarding race, gender and weight because our society pushes for certain archetypes and images of the ideal "looks" regarding these things. Height doesn't really come up as much as the color of your skin or how many folds on your neck you have in conversations regarding what's attractive by societal standards.

Being Black comes with a slew of connotations and stereotypes that people can choose to embrace or reject on several levels, and these things can affect your life in practically every facet. Race is a hot topic because there's plenty of room for discussion to be had, and any subject that's popular is of course going to contain a lot people who have their emotions invested in it. Being short doesn't have that quality to anywhere near that extent..most people really don't care much about someone's height relative to other physical characteristics.

This man speaks the truth

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@necronn-: Not mad, just wondering why its the one thing nobody ever calls anyone out on.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ouroborik: I didn't say it was as bad as racism, I'm not an idiot. My point was that in this day and age when there is an advocate group for everyone else and people who will bitch you out for making fun of every other group of people, why is it that the one thing that everyone has agreed is funny is making fun of something completely outside of an individual's control?

Iara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a fat guy I still get a lot of fat jokes from my friends, just as they get short or lanky jokes made about them from time to time. I think it's mostly about the context of the situation and how well you know the person. Plus the tone they're making the joke in.

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Thekillerklok

I enjoy jokes about people who are short, fat, male, female, straight, bi, gay, furry, tall, or short, in for a comic no material should be off limit.

a comics job is to say funny things, not politically correct things.

As George Carlin has proven rape jokes can be funny.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

"Bad" language warning.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aimless: Anyone saying height doesn't matter should just go ask any dude under 5'6" how easy it is to get a date, or get picked for a sports team. I got a cousin who can play basket ball as well as an NBA player yet he couldn't get on the High School team cause he's 5'3". He can't dunk but he can hit a shot from damn near anywhere on a court.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#24  Edited By SC  Moderator

Its about context. For example, look at how many people missed the point of your question and thread OP. As humans we collectively communicated well enough to get to where we are… but thats not perfect. As individuals we all try to navigate through life learning and picking up bits and pieces, so humor and height specifically… compared to gender, ethnicity, weight… well, most people will probably have an intuitive understanding as to why, if lacking an ability to articulate why, but as far as generalizations, lack of height isn't seen as being as relatively intrinsic and vital to individuals sense of self worth, pride, or acceptance… unless you are a little person, or dwarf, then people tend to back off.

That also being said, as far as context, there are some people who can joke about anything and everything and not be reprimanded or put on a list, because they have good timing, a good read of other people, they sell their joke a lot better and genuinely and then there are some people who can joke about anything and everything and have it interpreted as a serious shocking slur, because maybe they didn't do a good job selling the joke, just like there are a variety of ways people will react to a joke and why and how.

Myself? I make jokes about anything and everything, including subjects that could be considered risqué, but I usually do a good job of knowing my audience or the recipient of a joke, as opposed to poking fun at strangers or people I don't know well. In movies or media, short jokes may be more common and deemed less offensive, but most of the time they are probably really dull. I think weight still gets mocked, baldness, 'ugliness', sexual size and sexual activity, but I usually give more priority to the execution and motivation involved, since again context.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@aimless said:

Thing is,short jokes aren't very offensive by nature because at the end of the day,height really doesn't matter.

Jokes about races,gender and religion are a much more taboo topic because many people are discriminated or suffer oppression because of them.

You won't ever suffer from height discrimination or be assaulted because you're short.Heck,even fat shaming is a more taboo topic because fat people are bullied way more than short people.

Short men earn less than tall men. And short men face discrimination in dating too, which is quite obvious. Many of the same women who moan about short guys on Tinder will be offended if someone calls them fat.

I'm 6 foot something so being short doesn't apply to me, but you're simply unaware if you think being short doesn't mean anything. Atleast for a man, it does.

Ouroborik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: Why are you saying that to me? I didn't at any point disagree with you...

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ouroborik: Sorry, my screen jumped and I didn't notice till after I posted.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@thekillerklok:

As George Carlin has proven rape jokes can be funny.

Agreed, rape jokes can definitely be funny.

Carlin doesn't discriminate with subject matter when it comes to jokes. As society we should be able to joke about whatever the hell we want, terrorism, rape, racism, etc.

Loading Video...

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: A lot of people entirely missed the point of this post. It has nothing to do with whether short jokes are funny or not. The point was that with damn near every other group of people if you make fun of them they have advocates come out of the wood work to call you an asshole or a bully but no one reacts that way to short jokes unless you're making fun of an actual dwarf.

Ouroborik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@joshmightbe said:

@frozen: A lot of people entirely missed the point of this post. It has nothing to do with whether short jokes are funny or not. The point was that with damn near every other group of people if you make fun of them they have advocates come out of the wood work to call you an asshole or a bully but no one reacts that way to short jokes unless you're making fun of an actual dwarf.

Most people are hypocrites. SJW's don't consider short men as part of the disadvantaged so they don't campaign on their behalf: if you made a joke about white men nobody would really come out to call you an asshole either.

SeaGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly this may be a bit biased as I have no boundaries with my jokes but honestly I usually just laugh at jokes or turn it against them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes I want to make a joke about short people, but I don't want to stoop to their level.

higherpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 higherpower  Moderator
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seagod: Again this has nothing to do with whether or not a joke is funny. The question is why does every other group get defended by the media and the sjws, but short people are still a perfectly acceptable target?

higherpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36  Edited By higherpower  Moderator

@silkyballfro9444: 10/10

Also, offensive memes are kind of a trending thing now, I see memes where people idolize mass shootings and Nazi's and racism and stuff like that

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Black_Arrow

Hypocresy. I don't mind any kind of joke but the people that care about that sort of thing tend to be hypocrites.

GIliad_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's about execution. Too take it too an extreme if you're recklessly making a jumper joke on September the 9th to someone who lost their pops chances are you're either oblivious, over zealous or cruel - in all cases it'd be polite to apologise mind you. As for how this ties in? When gender or ethnicity is mentioned there's more than each respective trait at hand. There's every connotation that comes with being associated with said gender/ethnicity. For this reason it's far more likely that there's going to be a more adverse reaction and I'd venture that as a guess as to why it's considered more acceptable.

SeaGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: simple reason is that shortness doesn't benefit the SJW agenda. Example being blacks are in general taller than whites. SJW hate white men. White women usually get a pass about height as most people find short girls cute. So basically as SJW have a very biased hate against white males short jokes are usually ignored and nobody gets up in arms about them.

Amendment50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Short people are not oppressed. It's not the same thing as racism.

Obviously nobody likes to be made fun of for their appearance, but if it really bothers you that much chances are you just need thicker skin.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 frozen  Moderator

Short people are not oppressed. It's not the same thing as racism.

Obviously nobody likes to be made fun of for their appearance, but if it really bothers you that much chances are you just need thicker skin.

Neither are fat people, or middle-class white American women.

Even if certain ethnic minorities are oppressed, this should not stop people from making racist jokes. Jokes about oppressed groups can still be funny.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amendment50: No one said it was the same as racism, but it is at least on par with fat shaming, only people can't make that lame excuse of saying they're trying to motivate them to change, cause there ain't shit you can do about being short.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe:

A couple of no shit reasons.

The oppression level (and yeah there is one, don't kid yourselves) isn't prevalent enough.

The group impacted isn't a large enough or consistent enough demographic that it will band together and start dissenting, protesting, or boycotting to make change.

Really that simple.

I'm not salty about height, I'm six foot, and was six three before my spine break/surgery. Just calling it like I see it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5faef67d08995
deactivated-5faef67d08995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Because short people are gross.

Amendment50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@frozen: @joshmightbe: I pretty much feel the same way about fat jokes. I mean yes they can be mean and oftentimes it is mean spirited humor but at the same time it is a completely surface level joke and if you are deeply offended by it I think the problem is more likely your insecurity than the joke itself.

Racial jokes and jokes of that sort are much more sensitive. I mean humor is contextual and where it comes from is important. Tongue in cheek racist jokes are not the same thing as genuinely hateful stuff. I like the quote that nothing is off limits in comedy but at the same time there is a reason you will get booed off the stage if you make an act with a hundred jokes about how money grubbing Jews are.

SeaGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously though, maybe all the PC nuts and SJW crowd simply haven't been "woke" or enlightened to the troubles and lives of short people. I guess they have not yet assembled to update the criteria to their Guide to Self Righteousness and Outrage 101 handbook. If it's not in the agenda, then they very well can't help it. It's not their fault. Give them some time and they might come around soon. They always find something new to complain about.

Hungry_Sharky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't tell you exactly why society isn't fair to everyone.

But I can say that there is an innate sense of hilarity in seeing a guy who is five inches shorter than his girlfriend. Not so much in seeing a black person.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SeaGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers