• 117 results
Posted by jhazzroucher (24196 posts) 1 year, 3 months ago

Poll: Who do you like more: Mariah Carey or Whitney Houston? (64 votes)

Mariah Carey 30%
Whitney Houston 70%

Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston, two of the most popular female artists worldwide. Two of the best-selling female artists too and because of their great vocal talent and skills, they (along with Celine Dion) have been popularly called as the Voice Trinity.

But who do you like more? Mariah Carey or Whitney Houston

#1 Posted by Khael (15332 posts) - - Show Bio

I like both.

#2 Posted by superstay (12545 posts) - - Show Bio

...I can't say I was a fan of either.....but, if I had to choose, probably Whitney...

d^_^b

Avatar image for staticspeedster
#3 Posted by StaticSpeedster (2047 posts) - - Show Bio

None. lol

#4 Edited by jhazzroucher (24196 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted Mariah Carey because she can really sing. Whitney only has a powerful voice but when it comes to doing melismas, Mariah is way better than her. Mariah can also whistle and only a few female singers can imitate her.Actually I only know one who can imitate her whistles and it's only Ariana Grande.

Mariah also writes songs.

#5 Edited by sineyaprime (1354 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

I voted Mariah Carey because she can really sing. Whitney only has a powerful voice but when it comes to doing melismas, Mariah is way better than her. Mariah can also whistle and only a few female singers can imitate her.Actually I only know one who can imitate her whistles and it's only Ariana Grande.

WHOA! WAIT A MINUTE!

Yes, Mariah is possibly the greatest vocalist when it comes to things like melismas, but Whitney Houston is a master in utilizing them as well! Her melismas in I Will Always Love You are proof of that! Aside of that Whitney's vocal technique was damn near FLAWLESS like Mariah's. She's much, much more than "only a powerful voice".

and LMAO at Ariana being able to imiate Mariah's whistles. Ariana's whistle register is terrible and untrained compared to the greatest whistle user of all time.

Mariah's whistles >>>>>> Ariana's whistles (which are often just high falsetto and rarely used live)

They're both amazing and iconic legends but I pick Mariah Carey! Her range, technique, runs and melismas, and songwriting make her the greatest female singer of all time, imo.

@agent41 do you have an opinion on this topic?

#6 Posted by jhazzroucher (24196 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

WHOA! WAIT A MINUTE!

Yes, Mariah is possibly the greatest vocalist when it comes to things like melismas, but Whitney Houston is a master in utilizing them as well! Her melismas in I Will Always Love You are proof of that! Aside of that Whitney's vocal technique was damn near FLAWLESS like Mariah's. She's much, much more than "only a powerful voice".

and LMAO at Ariana being able to imiate Mariah's whistles. Ariana's whistle register is terrible and untrained compared to the greatest whistle user of all time.

Mariah's whistles >>>>>> Ariana's whistles (which are often just high falsetto and rarely used live)

They're both amazing and iconic legends but I pick Mariah Carey! Her range, technique, runs and melismas, and songwriting make her the greatest female singer of all time, imo.

Whitney sounds a lot better on studio but live, she isn't.

Whitney is not really good at melismas that's why i don't like her version of O Holy Night and when she sings live on any of her songs,I want her to stick on how she sings it on her albums, cos she usually changes the tunes, adding melismas , making her songs not sound beautiful.

I'mnot saying Ariana is on par with mariah, but that at least she can imitate her. Check Ariana singing Mariah's emotions.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-599632ff76068
#7 Posted by deactivated-599632ff76068 (1029 posts) - - Show Bio

Mariah is garbage. And a pretty bad human being at that.

Whitney is one of the greatest singers of all time

#8 Posted by jhazzroucher (24196 posts) - - Show Bio

@necronn- said:

Mariah isn't garbage.

Personality-wise, Mariah is better because she has control on her life so she'll continue to live longer. We all know what happened to Whitney.

Mariah has 18 number songs in the US Billboard Chart.

They're two of the best-selling female artists of all time but Mariah has sold more.

And Mariah's "All I Want For Christmas Is You" is an immortal song.

#9 Posted by agent41 (14658 posts) - - Show Bio

@necronn- said:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Loading Video...

Mariah is one of the greatest singers of all time as well.

Bad human?.

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

#10 Edited by agent41 (14658 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

WHOA! WAIT A MINUTE!

Both are 2 of the greats. I use Mariah's music more. But i have all of their albums and love them both. What do you think about user necronn comment?.

#11 Posted by sineyaprime (1354 posts) - - Show Bio

Whitney is not really good at melismas that's why i don't like her version of O Holy Night and when she sings live on any of her songs,I want her to stick on how she sings it on her albums, cos she usually changes the tunes, adding melismas , making her songs not sound beautiful.

I'mnot saying Ariana is on par with mariah, but that at least she can imitate her. Check Ariana singing Mariah's emotions.

Loading Video...

What are you talking about? Whitney was AMAZING live.

Loading Video...

Again, what are you talking about?! Whitney is a MASTER of melismas, only Mariah is notably better than her and even Beyoncé isn't as good.

And LMAO again, yes, I've seen Ariana's Emotions cover, it's heavily edited by studio magic, she's never hit notes like that live because she can't. Ariana is very talent even if she did try to rip off Mariah's entire career. but her whistle register isn't that good.

#12 Posted by sineyaprime (1354 posts) - - Show Bio
@necronn- said:

This guy doesn't know what he's talking about at all. Whitney is indeed one of the greatest singers of all time, but so is Mariah. Hell, Mariah is probably even better. Mariah is genuinely a good person who loves her fans, she paid tribute to a superfan who died in the Manchester terrorist attack, created a charity summer camp for at risk children from poor neighborhoods, and often gives impromptu performances for her fans.

#13 Posted by jhazzroucher (24196 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

Again, what are you talking about?! Whitney is a MASTER of melismas, only Mariah is notably better than her and even Beyoncé isn't as good.

And LMAO again, yes, I've seen Ariana's Emotions cover, it's heavily edited by studio magic, she's never hit notes like that live because she can't. Ariana is very talent even if she did try to rip off Mariah's entire career. but her whistle register isn't that good.

I'm sorry but I really don't appreciate Whitney's melisma. It doesn't sound good. Even as a huge Celine Dion fan,I'm not a fan of Celine's melismas either.

Mariah is good at melismas but I consider Christina Aguilera's melismas better because they're more difficult to imitate. Mariah's melismas are actually easy to imitate because they're slowly executed unlike Christina's in which you don't know how many tunes did she make , example Dirrty song

#14 Posted by sineyaprime (1354 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41 said:

Both are 2 of the greats. I use Mariah's music more. But i have all of their albums and love them both. What do you think about user necronn comment?.

Sigh. It's pretty typical now from people who don't actually seem to known Mariah's history and vocal ability, but just make assumptions based on media headlines.

(Agreed, I love and appreciate both these legends, but Mariah's my favorite. :) I thought you'd have an opinion on this topic since you occasionally have some hilarious MC gifs.)

#15 Edited by deactivated-599632ff76068 (1029 posts) - - Show Bio

@sineyaprime: Yeah, she can give to fans, but lets her own sister live impoverished. Doesn't even pay for her rehab.

And her being a complete controlling asshat to her now ex-husband is just icing on the cake.

#16 Posted by sineyaprime (1354 posts) - - Show Bio

@necronn- said:

@sineyaprime: Yeah, she can give to fans, but lets her own sister live impoverished. Doesn't even pay for her rehab.

And her being a complete controlling asshat to her now ex-husband is just icing on the cakem

Again, dude you don't know what you're talking about. Mariah's given thousands to her sister for years.

Nick Cannon? LMAO how?

#17 Edited by agent41 (14658 posts) - - Show Bio

@necronn- said:

And her being a complete controlling asshat to her now ex-husband is just icing on the cakem

She paid for rehab MANY times. And even paid the university of her sister's son. Who has said Mariah gave money to his mother many times. Mariah's ex husband has only good things to say about Mariah.

#18 Posted by sineyaprime (1354 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sorry but I really don't appreciate Whitney's melisma. It doesn't sound good. Even as a huge Celine Dion fan,I'm not a fan of Celine's melismas either.

Mariah is good at melismas but I consider Christina Aguilera's melismas better because they're more difficult to imitate. Mariah's melismas are actually easy to imitate because they're slowly executed unlike Christina's in which you don't know how many tunes did she make , example Dirrty song

No Caption Provided

lol that's fair enough, music can be subjective if you don't like it, that's fine. BUT that doesn't mean that Whitney "isn't great" at it, because she's actually really fantastic at them, just a fact.

No, Mariah's melismas are not always "slowly excuted", Mariah is known for her incredible breath support BECAUSE of her insanely fast and difficult melismas, runs, and transitions. Christina's melismas can be good, but usually they're done terribly with bad technique. Christina's melismas are a joke compared to Mariah's or Whitney's.

That's why Mariah's songs are usually considered vocal suicide for other singers.

#19 Edited by agent41 (14658 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:
@sineyaprime said:
@jhazzroucher said:

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

Mariah is more agile and faster than aguilera.

#20 Posted by jhazzroucher (24196 posts) - - Show Bio

@necronn- said:

Again, dude you don't know what you're talking about. Mariah's given thousands to her sister for years.

Nick Cannon? LMAO how?

Lol. Nick should have done better with hislife. He already has a very rich sister who would help her in every way for as long as he is doing the right thing.

#21 Edited by sineyaprime (1354 posts) - - Show Bio

@necronn- said:

And her being a complete controlling asshat to her now ex-husband is just icing on the cake.

Besides Mariah's father left her sister a MILLION dollar inheritance that she squandered. Some people you just can't help.

#22 Edited by mimisalome (5085 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Whitney Houston more. She got that definite artistic identity and style thats make her unique among her contemporaries... at least before she eventually lose everything to drugs.

Mariah is talented sure, but she is more like a trend-follower than a trend-setter in my opinion.

#23 Posted by deactivated-599632ff76068 (1029 posts) - - Show Bio

You guys got your facts backwards af.

I'll post links when I get to a pc.

#24 Posted by agent41 (14658 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Whitney Houston more. She got that definite artistic identity and style thats make her unique among her contemporaries... at least before she eventually lose everything to drugs.

Mariah is talented sure, but she is more like a trend-follower than a trend-setter in my opinion.

How can that apply to Mariah and not Whitney?. Mariah has writen and produced a lot of her discography. She has been in control of her image and sound for 22 years. She has a very distintic singing style and lyrics style as well. Both are unique.

#25 Edited by sineyaprime (1354 posts) - - Show Bio

@mimisalome said:

.....What? Mariah, the one who's credited with making the usage of melismas by vocalist mainstream, inspiring current singers like Christina Aguilera, Beyonce, So Hyang, and countless others? Or the one credited with creating the "pop princess-thug" mix by featuring rap artists in her music before others? Or the one who popularized and set the standard for whistle register usage? Or the one who is considered one of the greatest vocalists AND songwriters when other pop stars had people write for them? I could go on.

Hell, if Mariah didn't create her original own image and career then current singers like Ariana Grande wouldn't have anything to rip off.

#26 Edited by agent41 (14658 posts) - - Show Bio

@necronn- said:

The son of Mariah's sister>>>>>>you. He has said that her mother and uncle can't be trusted. Mariah has given money to her sister many times. You can't help somebody if they aren't willing to help themselves.

#27 Edited by jhazzroucher (24196 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41 said:
@necronn- said:

The son of Mariah's sister>>>>>>you. He has said that her mother and uncle can't be trusted. Mariah has given money to her sister many times. You can't help somebody if they aren't willing to help themselves.

If only I were Mariah's brother, I would have become a music artist too. :)

#28 Posted by sineyaprime (1354 posts) - - Show Bio

@necronn- said:

Alright.

#29 Edited by mimisalome (5085 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41: @sineyaprime:

im talking about the genre or style of her music.

What I mean is she started out as something like a young respectable diva but then regress in to skin showing, booty shaking pop princess, with fat black rappers ogling all over her.

by the way my knowledge of their musics stretches from lates 80's to 00's

after which i never listen to their latest songs.

#30 Posted by agent41 (14658 posts) - - Show Bio

What I mean is she started out as something like a young respectable diva but then regress in to skin showing, booty shaking pop princess, with fat black rappers ogling all over her.

Mariah was ALWAYS into Hip-Hop and R&B music. That always was the style she wanted to make, and that's what she did when she took full control of her career in 1995. Her style is very distintic as well.

#31 Edited by sineyaprime (1354 posts) - - Show Bio

@mimisalome said:

Huh? so you're basing this (about one the greatest vocalists and song writers of all time no less) on their appearance? How does that make sense? Judge the actual work. Mariah is credited as one the greatest trend setters vocally, lyrically, image wise, and career wise.

Besides Mariah has spoken many, many, MANY times about her appearance in the 90s was heavily controlled by her label and husband Sony executive, Tommy Motolla. She moved towards Hip Hop against their wishes, hence her comeback album "The Emancipation of Mimi." Her switch wasn't "following trends", it was her getting to be herself.

#32 Posted by sineyaprime (1354 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Edited by mimisalome (5085 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41 said:
@mimisalome said:

Mariah was ALWAYS into Hip-Hop and R&B music. That always was the style she wanted to make, and that's what she did when she took full control of her career in 1995. Her style is very distintic as well.

Really?

Then i probably hate her even more, considering she is the one responsible for spawning a generation of music that i hated the most... (Pop-rap music with a half naked girl being ogled by rappers).

Too bad cause her "I'll Be There" rendition is one of my favorite song when i was a kid

together with Betty Midlers "Wind Beneath my Wings", Houston's "The Greatest Love of All" and Diana Ross "If We Hold on Together"

#34 Posted by agent41 (14658 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Edited by mimisalome (5085 posts) - - Show Bio

@mimisalome said:

Huh? so you're basing this (about one the greatest vocalists and song writers of all time no less) on their appearance? How does that make sense? Judge the actual work. Mariah is credited as one the greatest trend setters vocally, lyrically, image wise, and career wise.

Besides Mariah has spoken many, many, MANY times about her appearance in the 90s was heavily controlled by her label and husband Sony executive, Tommy Motolla. She moved towards Hip Hop against their wishes, hence her comeback album "The Emancipation of Mimi." Her switch wasn't "following trends", it was her getting to be herself.

I qualify the package by the complete package.

I mean i just like more when she create songs that are quite inspiring.

#36 Posted by jhazzroucher (24196 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41 said:
@mimisalome said:

She started with Pop. But the next generation were going for R&B and Hiphop so she has to adjust. I like that Mariah was able to adjust as she is a very versatile singer.

BUt what I didn't like is when Mariah stopped singing with power. She now constantlysings softly. If you listen to "Anytime You Need A Friend". you would say she had a very powerful voice. But not, she prefers to sings cutely. Thought it still sounds good but I want to hear her sing with her powerful voice again.

#37 Posted by sineyaprime (1354 posts) - - Show Bio

@mimisalome: then you should really look again, because Mariah's collaborations aren't her "half-naked being ogled by rappers.". They can be humorous (Heartbreaker), smart (Breakdown), sultry (Honey), nostalgic (Dedicated), etc. Yeah, they can be sexy but she's got much range than that. Besides most of her collaborations with rappers and hip hip stars tend to be remixes since she likes to experiment with her music.

#38 Posted by agent41 (14658 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41 said:
@mimisalome said:

Really?

Then i probably hate her even more, considering she is the one responsible for spawning a generation of music that i hated the most... (Pop-rap music with a half naked girl being ogled by rappers).

Too bad cause her "I'll Be There" rendition is one of my favorite song when i was a kid

together with Betty Midlers "Wind Beneath my Wings", Houston's "The Greatest Love of All" and Diana Ross "If We Hold on Together"

What's wrong with sexuality?. Hip-Hop is a very personal style that talks about struggles, not just sex. Mariah is in control of her sexuality in her music. In fantasy Remix for example. She wasn't the object of the rapper. And her music touches many subjects. Racial discrimination, Death, Insecurity, Faith, War, etc.

#39 Posted by agent41 (14658 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41 said:
@mimisalome said:

She started with Pop. But the next generation were going for R&B and Hiphop so she has to adjust. I like that Mariah was able to adjust as she is a very versatile singer.

BUt what I didn't like is when Mariah stopped singing with power. She now constantlysings softly. If you listen to "Anytime You Need A Friend". you would say she had a very powerful voice. But not, she prefers to sings cutely. Thought it still sounds good but I want to hear her sing with her powerful voice again.

She always wanted to go the urban, R&B path. But only when she took control of her career in 1995, she was able to do it. Her most complex vocals overall came after her pop years.

#40 Edited by mimisalome (5085 posts) - - Show Bio

@mimisalome: then you should really look again, because Mariah's collaborations aren't her "half-naked being ogled by rappers.". They can be humorous (Heartbreaker), smart (Breakdown), sultry (Honey), nostalgic (Dedicated), etc. Yeah, they can be sexy but she's got much range than that. Besides most of her collaborations with rappers and hip hip stars tend to be remixes since she likes to experiment with her music.

Ive seen those stuff... i never liked them... i think its Breakdown that makes me lose interest in listening to music altogether, (and MTV and radios playing it incessantly tipped it to annoying level (for me)).

I think it regress the music scene into something that portrays males as sex obsess creatures and females as sensual i candies meant to be ogles. Spawns shit like that Booty-something (or was it Hump, Hump Hump crap), or song that just talked about getting laid.

Im not arguing based on some moral high grounds though. I just find such premise pretty shallow and not inline with my taste.

#41 Posted by sineyaprime (1354 posts) - - Show Bio

@sineyaprime said:
@mimisalome said:

I qualify the package by the complete package.

I mean i just like more when she create songs that are quite inspiring.

yet you still count her as follower solely based on her appearance? How does that outweigh her unique voice, lyricism, influence, and style?

She has plenty of songs post 2000 that are inspiring like "Through the Rain" and "Fly Like A Bird".

#43 Posted by sineyaprime (1354 posts) - - Show Bio

@sineyaprime said:

Ive seen those stuff... i never liked them... i think its Breakdown that makes me lose interest in listening to music altogether, (and MTV and radios playing it incessantly tipped it to annoying level (for me)).

I think it regress the music scene into something that portrays males as sex obsess creatures and females as sensual i candies meant to be ogles. Spawns shit like that Booty-something (or was it Hump, Hump Hump crap), or song that just talked about getting laid.

Im not arguing based on some moral high grounds though. I just find such premise pretty shallow and not inline with my taste.

Huh? Have you actually even heard the song Breakdown? The male rap part isn't about sex at all, it's about dealing with difficult times and working through it.

#44 Edited by mimisalome (5085 posts) - - Show Bio

@mimisalome said:
@sineyaprime said:

Huh? Have you actually even heard the song Breakdown? The male rap part isn't about sex at all, it's about dealing with difficult times and working through it.

And thats why i dont get why the need to sensually show case her body while the black rappers ogles on her.

#45 Posted by sineyaprime (1354 posts) - - Show Bio

And thats why i dont get why the need to sensually show case her body while the black rappers ogles on her.

It's not "showcasing her body", shes putting on a show like the lyrics say: shes pretending to be okay, even though she just wants to Breakdown. And the rappers aren't ogling her at all. They're only really in one scene with her and they're not even looking at her! One rapper dances with her back up dancers but that's it. So I still don't know what you're getting at?

#46 Edited by mimisalome (5085 posts) - - Show Bio

@sineyaprime said:
@mimisalome said:

It's not "showcasing her body", shes putting on a show like the lyrics say: shes pretending to be okay, even though she just wants to Breakdown. And the rappers aren't ogling her at all. They're only really in one scene with her and they're not even looking at her! One rapper dances with her back up dancers but that's it. So I still don't know what you're getting at?

I dont know, maybe your tolerance to such stuff isnt the same as mine atleast when i was a kid... (im not an american. so maybe thats a factor)

Bottom line is personal tastes and preferences... no need to be argumentative or lose sleep over it.

#47 Posted by sineyaprime (1354 posts) - - Show Bio

@sineyaprime said:
@mimisalome said:

I dont know, maybe your tolerance to such stuff isnt the same as mine atleast when i was a kid... (im not an american. so maybe thats a factor)

Bottom line is personal tastes and preferences... no need to be argumentative or lose sleep about it.

Fair enough, this stuff is largely subjective anyway. So agree to disagree. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5988def3424a7
#48 Posted by deactivated-5988def3424a7 (5386 posts) - - Show Bio

Whitney

#49 Posted by Cable_Extreme (16706 posts) - - Show Bio

A young Mariah Carrey was better than Houston on any day.

#50 Posted by GIliad_ (6563 posts) - - Show Bio

Whitney