Which RPG battle system do you prefer, turn based or real time?

insomnimaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I personally hate RPG's with a real time battle system making me feel all rushed, I love just relaxing & selecting actions from a list with out any time limit. If I wanted a real time fighting system I'd just play Devil May Cry or something. I don't even really like things like the Judgment Ring from Shadow Hearts, not that it was remotely difficult to time or anything I just don't see how it added anything to gameplay & it was just kind of a pain in the ass.

What's your opinion?

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tradionally RPGs are supposed to be in-world stats base.

Not based on the natural reaction and reflex speed of the player, their gaming skills, and other meta factors (like game knowledge and min-maxing power-gaming).

It is focus on managing your character in such a way that is logical to and consistent with the "role" that they embodied.

Action RPG and Adventure-RPG (JRPs) were probably labeled as RPGs because they employ stats development and character management just like in traditional RPG (and probably because they are often set in fantasy world).

Personally I enjoy both as long as they are fun.

But I find turn-based RPGs to be far more superior, engaging, and immersive than real-time rpgs.

BatmanPlusJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Real time definitely. Turn based is too unrealistic. Not that RPGs are to be realistic, I just don't like how its "oh you moved, now wait your turn" like no. I want to fight and do combos.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mimisalome

@batmanplusjay said:

Real time definitely. Turn based is too unrealistic. Not that RPGs are to be realistic, I just don't like how its "oh you moved, now wait your turn" like no. I want to fight and do combos.

I think your approach to turn based RPGs gameplay is wrong, (not that it is your fault though).

While it may seems that characters are waiting for each others turn, for the characters themselves, you must assume that everything happens in real time...

its just that time got suspended for the gamers so they can focus more on role-playing elements instead of trying to synchronize their gameplay based on their own reaction speed and reflexes (which is the case for real time)

For example: you might think that characters have all the same speed in a turn based gameplay.

But fast characters are depicted in a turn-base by giving them more action points per turn to simulate being able to do more things in the same amount of time than the other characters.

This way even gamers with poor reaction speed and reflexes can role-play a very fast and very precise characters like a badass gunslinger or ninja that can outflank their enemies in a (simulated) split second.

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darkest Dungeon is the only game I have ever played/seen with genuinely fun turn-based combat. Apart from that I despise it and think it's quite possibly the single most boring feature ever invented.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da8e253e9df8
deactivated-5da8e253e9df8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm more into direct competition games like Battlefield.

sabracadabra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Real time by far.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 takenstew22  Moderator

Real-time. I don't really like turn-based RPG's besides a few outliers like Undertale. The most recent turn-based RPG game I've played is Final Fantasy IV and I'm enjoying it so far, but I still prefer real-time RPG's.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Real time if it is a single character game like Skyrim or Fallout. Real time gives me a more immersive sense of exploration and playing as my character that I enjoy.

Turn based if it is a game with an adventuring party. I don't tend to enjoy real time strategy when I have a lot of special abilities to manage. It gets overwhelming and I can't sit back and think about what the best tactical move is if I am constantly clicking because none of my followers can apparently think for themselves.

With turn based team combat though there is already the abstraction of turns to account for so I feel a lot more immersed in controlling each character myself. It feels like we are a cohesive unit and I can roleplay as each individual looking around, figuring out what the best move to do is, and then executing it.

I also find turn based combat to feel more tense because your characters don't usually drop out of nowhere. You have time to sit there and stew on the fact that you might lose one of your companions and make the hard call to either risk another to rescue them or let them die. It is more engaging to me. You also can't blame it on poor reflexes when it happens. Your decisions lead to the loss.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Real time. Turn based has way too many BS enemies

Avatar image for deactivated-6060d1922bf05
deactivated-6060d1922bf05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I begrudgingly push through most turn based RPGs just for exploration, story, visuals and music, but rarely for actual combat gameplay, exception being pokemon because of the competitiveness. Meanwhile I love kingdom hearts in large part due to its gameplay.

ovy7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I somehow don't mind turn-base combat system in RPG Maker Games, but can't stand it in RPGs like Fallout 1/2 (it's literally the only thing making me not play those games T _ T).