Which is Worse: Abortion or Slavery?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

cocacolaman  Moderator

Poll Which is Worse: Abortion or Slavery? (167 votes)

Abortion 17%
Slavery 71%
Results 12%

Try to keep it civil

• 
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#201  Edited By Billy Batson
@dernman said:

Already explained as paying for their own upkeep as they should. You want to argue they're being over charged that's another argument. You want to argue they don't have enough left over that's another argument. Otherwise you don't have an argument that they don't get payed or that this is slave labor. They're working of a debt to society like prisoners should.

Oh sweet summer child you don't know inhumanly. When you commit crimes and get incarcerated that's because you broke the law. None of it would have happened if they didn't. You still ignore that most want to work because it's so boring and they often don't have enough jobs for everyone. It's mostly trouble makers who don't. Also work being part of rehabilitation. If' you're not going to work towards that then it shows you're not interested in that.

You keep bringing up things that are privileges and think entitlements. You're going to prison to pay for your crimes not a summer resort. It's a shitty place not a vacation. You want to complain about something complain that white collar crimes from the rich have it way too easy.

Slavery ends when the owner says so. In this case the prison.

THere are lots of problems with the prison system and should be reformed in many ways.. I won't say it's even close to perfect, hell I'll even say it's shit but anyone say it's slavery is a complete fracking idiot.

Wardens don't convict people. Judges do.

Prisons answer to people slave owners don't have to answer to anyone.. Slave owners don't have to worry about any rights, lawyers or groups. Slave owners can do whatever they want. Minus corruption which everywhere has Wardens and guards if you get caught you can get tried and put in prison. Slave owners it's just not an issue.

It's not really an another argument when the payment is symbolic and rounds down to zero.

I ignore it because it tries to be justification. Many "want to" work because otherwise their conditions get worse.

It is not much of a Rehabilitation when the work is pointless

Some workers pick up cigarette butts from cracks in the pavement outside; others rake rocks in the yard or are simply told to go outside and stand in the rain.

or

About a quarter of jobs nationwide require professional licenses—from cosmetology to barbering,physical therapy, and work as a home health aide. To perform one of these jobs, an applicant needs approval by a state-run licensing board. People with conviction records, however, are often denied such approval. Across the country, there are about 27,000 state licensing restrictions that keep people with conviction records from licensed work. Over two-thirds of these are permanent bans, completely barring people with criminal histories from certain professions

Yet the prisons that are "summer resorts" work better than the shitty places.

It's not idiotic compare it to slavery when it's in the constitution.

Was this slavery by another name? Armstrong argues that the 13th Amendment makes an exception for “involuntary servitude,” not “slavery,” and that there are important historical and legal distinctions between the two. However, she says no court has formally dealt with this distinction, and many courts have used to two terms interchangeably. In 1871, the Virginia Supreme Court ruled that a convicted person was “a slave of the State.”

So I misspoke. Prison is not the slave owner, the state is.

BB

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#202  Edited By dernman
@billy_batson said:
@dernman said:

Already explained as paying for their own upkeep as they should. You want to argue they're being over charged that's another argument. You want to argue they don't have enough left over that's another argument. Otherwise you don't have an argument that they don't get payed or that this is slave labor. They're working of a debt to society like prisoners should.

Oh sweet summer child you don't know inhumanly. When you commit crimes and get incarcerated that's because you broke the law. None of it would have happened if they didn't. You still ignore that most want to work because it's so boring and they often don't have enough jobs for everyone. It's mostly trouble makers who don't. Also work being part of rehabilitation. If' you're not going to work towards that then it shows you're not interested in that.

You keep bringing up things that are privileges and think entitlements. You're going to prison to pay for your crimes not a summer resort. It's a shitty place not a vacation. You want to complain about something complain that white collar crimes from the rich have it way too easy.

Slavery ends when the owner says so. In this case the prison.

THere are lots of problems with the prison system and should be reformed in many ways.. I won't say it's even close to perfect, hell I'll even say it's shit but anyone say it's slavery is a complete fracking idiot.

Wardens don't convict people. Judges do.

Prisons answer to people slave owners don't have to answer to anyone.. Slave owners don't have to worry about any rights, lawyers or groups. Slave owners can do whatever they want. Minus corruption which everywhere has Wardens and guards if you get caught you can get tried and put in prison. Slave owners it's just not an issue.

It's not really an another argument when the payment is symbolic and rounds down to zero.

I ignore it because it tries to be justification.

It's not symbolic. It's how things work. You work you get paid you use that for things to upkeep your life. Just because you're not a prisoner doesn't mean you suddenly don't have to pay for shit. In fact they have more in some cases because of the cost having to maintain things like guards and other shit. You don't have to try justifying them paying for upkeep. It just is. Justify them not having to pay for upkeep of the prison that wouldn't be there if they didn't commit a crime. Justify non prisoners having to pay for that but they don't.

Again you want to argue charged to much for certain things maybe. You want to argue getting rid of any private prisons I'll agree with you but slavery it does not make.

This point you keep trying to make has been addressed and has been settled. Anything more is just beating a dead horse.

Many "want to" work because otherwise their conditions get worse.

Many work because it's mind numbingly boring otherwise. It also keep them out of trouble from troublemakers. Something many of the prisoners wand and those running the prison want. You can't have the prisoners sitting around doing nothing. Hell again they don't even have work for everyone. They don't punish people who they don't have work for. Further more Work is part of rehabilitation or ya things are not going to be easy on you. It's punishment, it's justice for the wronged, It's rehabilitation, it's to keep them hurting others.. THis is prison not a vacation. Something you're not grasping.

It's not mean to be the everything of rehabilitation. It's only one thing. THere are lots of benefits to it. Just because you fail to see the use doesn't mean it's pointless.

You want to argue that they don't focus enough on rehabilitation with all the programs they have in there sure. Hell I'll even agree with you but slavery it does not make.

I'm about to read the rest of your post but so far the only case you've made is prisons suck which I agree but you have not made one that it's slavery. It's time to move on. THere really isn't a point to argue these things further when it comes to prison and slavery.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 it's an opinion and doesn't look at all the issues.

2 Selective. It only good for some crimes and criminals.

3 It' heavily on rehabilitation with regular prisons fall short on.

4 It lacks on justice for the victims and punishment.

5 What that video shows is more akin to a minimum security prison and should be compared to that only. Not a maximum prison.

6 We agree the system sucks to different degrees but that's not what you're trying to prove. You're trying to prove that what the US has now is slavery. This video is irrelevant.

I had another point but I forget and it's time to move on anyway.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is idiotic to compare two different things and insist they're the same thing when they're not regardless of the constitution.

Still bad comparison for reasons already stated and more not stated.

ArranVid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slavery is bad because you're removing a person's independence and you're forcing the slave to obey the master even when the slave should be broken away from the shackles and should be a free person. Also, obviously slavery in the past in the USA was based on racism towards black people and racism is wrong. Slaves were tortured and hanged. Also, other civilizations had slavery and the slavery was hurtful to the slaves. It is sad to see that slavery still exists, even today.

I think abortion is only acceptable in the following circumstances: When the mum's life is at risk, in cases of incest, in cases of rape. Therefore, I think I'm Pro-Life but I would accept that abortion can be used in a few circumstances (the ones I noted at the start of this paragraph).

At the moment, I don't think abortion is acceptable in any other circumstance. I think life starts at conception. Abortion is murder in my opinion. I remember hearing somewhere that abortion is the number 1 killer in the USA.

Both abortion and slavery are bad. I know this might sound controversial, but since slavery doesn't necessarily mean murder (since there were slaves who were kept alive) then I would say that if you're aborting a being in the womb for no good reason then you have committed an act that is worse than slavery. However, if you did abortion because you were in a very difficult circumstance (like the ones listed in the 2nd paragraph i.e. mum's life at risk, incest, rape) then I think your abortion was understandable and acceptable and those types of particular abortions are not worse than slavery. So it depends on the type of abortion.

Avatar image for sylviaanimenerd
SylviaAnimeNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Abortion is murder. Slavery is evil but you can always free a slave. You can't bring back the dead. Abortion is worse.

Divyansh13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Abortion is murder. Slavery is evil but you can always free a slave. You can't bring back the dead. Abortion is worse.

What if the woman who aborted the baby was raped?

Avatar image for deactivated-6349385499256
deactivated-6349385499256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both are bad, but I think slavery is worse in general.

Abortion is murder if you pull out a child in the fetal stage of growth where they start to feel something.

Pandalumina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SuperDarth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate taking part in the abortion debate. I refuse to form an opinion on abortion because it doesn't affect me. That being said, slavery is worse.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@dernman said:
@billy_batson said:

It's not symbolic. It's how things work. You work you get paid you use that for things to upkeep your life. Just because you're not a prisoner doesn't mean you suddenly don't have to pay for shit. In fact they have more in some cases because of the cost having to maintain things like guards and other shit. You don't have to try justifying them paying for upkeep. It just is. Justify them not having to pay for upkeep of the prison that wouldn't be there if they didn't commit a crime. Justify non prisoners having to pay for that but they don't.

Again you want to argue charged to much for certain things maybe. You want to argue getting rid of any private prisons I'll agree with you but slavery it does not make.

This point you keep trying to make has been addressed and has been settled. Anything more is just beating a dead horse.

Many work because it's mind numbingly boring otherwise. It also keep them out of trouble from troublemakers. Something many of the prisoners wand and those running the prison want. You can't have the prisoners sitting around doing nothing. Hell again they don't even have work for everyone. They don't punish people who they don't have work for. Further more Work is part of rehabilitation or ya things are not going to be easy on you. It's punishment, it's justice for the wronged, It's rehabilitation, it's to keep them hurting others.. THis is prison not a vacation. Something you're not grasping.

It's not mean to be the everything of rehabilitation. It's only one thing. THere are lots of benefits to it. Just because you fail to see the use doesn't mean it's pointless.

You want to argue that they don't focus enough on rehabilitation with all the programs they have in there sure. Hell I'll even agree with you but slavery it does not make.

I'm about to read the rest of your post but so far the only case you've made is prisons suck which I agree but you have not made one that it's slavery. It's time to move on. THere really isn't a point to argue these things further when it comes to prison and slavery.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 What that video shows is more akin to a minimum security prison and should be compared to that only. Not a maximum prison.

6 We agree the system sucks to different degrees but that's not what you're trying to prove. You're trying to prove that what the US has now is slavery. This video is irrelevant.

It is idiotic to compare two different things and insist they're the same thing when they're not regardless of the constitution.

There are countries where penal labor doesn't exist so it's not a necessity for the upkeep for prisoners.

Since prisoners are not considered workers so they are not treated as workers/people with rights and protections workers are entitled to outside of prison. Which akin them to slaves by treating them less than human, though there's a difference in treatment with prisoners and slaves that I mention at the end of this post.

Incarcerated workers have been burned with chemicals, maimed,or killed on the job. Although lack of data related to work place conditions and injuries in prisons make sit difficult to know the full extent of injuries and deaths, injury logs generated by the California Prison Industry Authority (CALPIA) show that incarcerated workers reported more than 600 injuries over a four-year period, including body parts strained, crushed, lacerated, or amputated. In numerous cases we documented nationwide, injuries could have been prevented with proper training, machine guarding mechanisms, or personal protective equipment.

A lot of opinions really with an emphasis of wanting revenge rather than the betterment of prisoners and thus country after their release. We can simply compare the situation to how it was there before

Since developing its new prison system in the 1990s, its recidivism rate has decreased from around 60-70% to only 20% in recent years. The main reason for these statistics is due to a focus on “restorative justice,” an approach that identifies prisons in the same category as rehabilitation facilities. Rather than focusing on the punishment and mistreatment of its prisoners, Norway has the primary goal of reintegrating its prisoners as stable contributors to communities.

In a research paper published in 2019, the authors focused specifically on the impact of prisoners on the economy. The paper highlighted Norwegian ideologies and the results of their unique prison system. First, reducing the population of prisoners that are reincarcerated means more individuals are able to contribute to Norway’s economy once their sentence is complete. Second, among the prison population that was unemployed prior to being arrested, there was a 34% increase in this group partaking in job training courses and a 40% increase in employment rates. Lastly, Norway’s prison system equips its prisoners with education-based knowledge and labor skills that have long-term benefits to its country’s economy and also improves their personal lives.

The video was a reply to your tangent. Like I said some of these are "irrelevant" to the topic.

It's not a bad comparison, it's simply Slavery by Another Name like former slaves/descendant of slaves called it or worse than slavery since slaves were an investment for the owners. Slave labor was pioneered by the likes John T. Miler and J. W. Comer, former slave owners, to replace the void of slave labor with prison labor.

BB

Avatar image for deactivated-634afdc6135b4
deactivated-634afdc6135b4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pandalumina said:

@sylviaanimenerd said:

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:
@billy_batson said:

There are countries where penal labor doesn't exist so it's not a necessity for the upkeep for prisoners.

Wrong. Those countries that don't have penal labor means other people are paying it. THis shifts it so the people who caused the the cost in the first place where it should be and not to other people who who's burden will be less because some asshole thought it was ok to break the law.

Since prisoners are not considered workers so they are not treated as workers/people with rights and protections workers are entitled to outside of prison. Which akin them to slaves by treating them less than human, though there's a difference in treatment with prisoners and slaves that I mention at the end of this post.

Accept they are payed and treated as workers as well as prisoners. You want to say they should be treated better that's another argument but not a slavery one. Especially when there is a big difference in how they're treated and rights that they still have even if some others are suspended unlike a slave. Not to mention you can legislate for better treatment for prisoners but not for slaves. A slave is just a slave and does not have any of these avenues. You can do anything you want to a slave, you cannot with a prisoner otherwise you get in trouble yourself. We just had a case where a judge was put in prison for a scheme with a private prison to send people to jail for pay. One reason why i'm against private prisons and why slavery this isn't slavery. It's corruption.

A lot of opinions really with an emphasis of wanting revenge rather than the betterment of prisoners and thus country after their release. We can simply compare the situation to how it was there before

No that's your opinion. Justice and punishment are not revenge. Justice and punishment is also not a slap on the wrist. Justice and punishment have limits and guidelines. Revenge does not. Revenge would be handing that man over to me and letting mer do what I want with the guy who hurt my kid with no trial by jury, no guidelines in sentencing by law and judge and no limitations

The video was a reply to your tangent. Like I said some of these are "irrelevant" to the topic.

Irrelevant because my "tangent" is a reply to you saying prison labor is slavery and your reply doesn't contradict that.

It's not a bad comparison, it's simply Slavery by Another Name like former slaves/descendant of slaves called it or worse than slavery since slaves were an investment for the owners. Slave labor was pioneered by the likes John T. Miler and J. W. Comer, former slave owners, to replace the void of slave labor with prison labor.

It is a bad comparison because of the stark differences that you keep ignoring and no matter how much you insist it is the same is going to make it so. No matter how many times you keep repeating the same things I keep shooting down.

Only argument you've even come close to making is they're not treated well enough not that they're slaves. Not being treated well enough is different than slavery. Not to mention how well a prisoner should be treated is an arguable subject when it comes to scaling and scope. There is no argument with slavery. It just is what it is.

--------------------------------------------------------

This is tiresome. We're just going around is circles. Rinse, recycle, repeat. That's all that's happening now.

Either make different arguments that haven't already been dealt with. Otherwise to save time and effort I'm just going to respond with addressed and settled to end the cycle .

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By dernman
@sigmavamp said:

@pandalumina said:

@sylviaanimenerd said:

Under slavery you can freely abort a baby at any stage. Not to mention kill any born baby, child, or adult.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I fail to see why abortion is worse when slavery has everything abortion has and more.

Edit: Someone told me I sound like I'm giving off an attitude in this post. I assure I am not. I just often come off as giving attitude when I'm not intending too.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm pro-choice so slavery.

Avatar image for deactivated-62c24b2e5b60f
deactivated-62c24b2e5b60f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First of all, slavery is far worse.
Second of all, why is Abortion assumed to be bad? It's a women's body it's their choice if you don't like it don't abort then

Mirin2248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By Mirin2248
@dernman said:
@last0fth3risen said:

@dernman: Of course abortion is not murder. It would not be considered murder even if you applied the same laws to the fetus as you would to a person. If killing a person is the only way to stop them from being inside your body, then it's pretty easily justifiable in any other circumstance.

That's just your opinion. The other opinion is by having sex knowing you could get preggo you accepted certain responsibilities and it's wrong to end another's life just because you don't want to deal with something you created. Life begins at conception. After that it's philosophical or similar type shit discussion

But we don't even have to go that route, because fetuses are not yet people. They literally do not exist as conscious entities at the point the vast majority of abortions take place. It makes no difference to them whether they are aborted, or not conceived in the first place.

Another opinion highly debated. It's life period. Just not matured. THis isn't like a brain dead person where the person is gone and isn't coming back. This is like a person who's forming.

I'm not going to get into a pro-life vs pro abortion argument especially since I don't come on either side and considering I presented you with both positions in my previous post. You just refuse to acknowledge one.

I agree.

I find it funny when people say that it's ok to kill someone to stop them from being inside your body even though they were responsible for it being there in the first place. Let's say if I invited someone to my boat for a ride, and while I'm in the middle of the ocean with them on my boat, it it ok if I suddenly kick them out of the boat into the ocean full of sharks? I mean it's my boat after all?

Also a fetus is a alive otherwise it wouldn't be growing.

Murdering someone is worse than enslaving someone. Murdering a baby is far worse than enslaving someone.

Mirin2248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthor said:

Second of all, why is Abortion assumed to be bad? It's a women's body it's their choice if you don't like it don't abort then

Why is slavery assumed to be bad? After all, it's my body, I should be able to enslave others with it.

last0fth3risen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree.

I find it funny when people say that it's ok to kill someone to stop them from being inside your body even though they were responsible for it being there in the first place. Let's say if I invited someone to my boat for a ride, and while I'm in the middle of the ocean with them on my boat, it it ok if I suddenly kick them out of the boat into the ocean full of sharks? I mean it's my boat after all?

Also a fetus is a alive otherwise it wouldn't be growing.

Murdering someone is worse than enslaving someone. Murdering a baby is far worse than enslaving someone.

A boat is not a body. It's much less personal and less problematic for someone to be inside your boat than your body. If you ask someone to join you in your boat on a trip into the ocean, you are making an agreement with them, that you will bring them back to shore safely. No such agreement exists with the fetus, or with its father, because the majority of pregnancies are unintentional. Furthermore, if a passenger on your boat attacks your body, then you can defend yourself against them.

Alive doesn't matter, conscious matters. Plants are alive and growing too, but our morality does not apply to them because they can't suffer, and neither can a fetus, until a certain stage in development.

last0fth3risen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Contraception is not always effective, even if done right. And if you factor in human error, its effectiveness decreases even further. Most people that have abortions claim to have used contraception.

Also, rape exists, as do things like stealthing, where it's really out of the woman's control. Clearly, even by your standard, there are unintentional pregnancies.

What's the difference between preventing a human from being born through contraception, and preventing a human from being born through abortion? In both cases, there is no conscious entity that's being harmed.

Plants are alive sure, but they are among most inferior forms of life, they will always be plants, fetus is potential person who will become conscious relatively fast, unless you chose to stop that from happening

Whoah, careful with this rhetoric, it does not lead to good places.

Again, there is future potential being wasted with contraception too. I just don't think it matters more than the life and autonomy of existing people.

SylviaAnimeNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sylviaanimenerd said:

What if the woman who aborted the baby was raped?

What exactly is an issue with that?

If you were raped, you can go under, get a C section, and adopt the baby away without ever seeing it. You literally go asleep with a big belly, and wake up no longer pregnant, with the child gone forever from your life, never knowing it, with a basically invisible scar that fits your bikini, which is far inferior health complication than a very invasive procedure that abortion is and the following post-abortion depression syndrome. In short, by adopting the child away you can do almost exactly the same as abortion, with only real difference being less significant medical consequences, and most importantly, the baby being still alive and making some family that can't have kids happy. It really isn't a problem for a woman.

You know what IS a problem though? You, killing a child, for the crime of its father. And a rape isn't even punished with capital punishment in vast majority of the world either. So how would you like if I went up to you, showed you a clip of your dad pulling a gun and stealing someone's wallet and said to you - see? You're father is a thug and a criminal, so now, the right thing to do here is for me to cut you to pieces and throw you into garbage. Look, I brought an axe!

Absurd. This really is a non-argument.

SylviaAnimeNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By SylviaAnimeNerd
@mirin2248 said:
@darthor said:

Why is slavery assumed to be bad? After all, it's my body, I should be able to enslave others with it.

An even funnier assumption is that women's, or anyone's body for that matter, is really their own in literal sense. You can't use certain drugs in most countries. You can't use alcohol until certain age. You can't have sex until you hit puberty or reach certain age. You can't watch movies above PG until certain age. There are hundreds of regulations that we accept as a society that restrict our bodies from doing harm to ourselves and others. It's just funny to me that we only want to enforce that view when it comes to KILLING BABIES (yes, a fetus inside a woman is a baby before its born. It really is very hard to mistake THIS:

No Caption Provided

for a kidney or any other organ. It has its own blood, its own DNA, it's own heart rate, even its own brainwaves (consciousness) develop around week 6, before most woman are even aware of pregnancy. The propaganda around the subject is pretty insane. Especially that when a woman that WANTS her pregnancy to develop is assaulted and killed, the killer is charged for double homicide. In other words, if you want the baby, you treat it like a human legally and in every other way too, you sign to it, caress your belly, tell your friends about the name and sex of the baby, you laugh and cry from joy when it kicks you from the inside or gets the hiccups, you care for it and treat it like a human... But if you don't want it, you just cut it to pieces and throw into medical waste. This is the same double standard that was the cause of racism and slavery in the past. Because people of color were believed to be less evolved and not yet human, you can do whatever you want with them. And now, because the baby is less developed and not yet human, you can do whatever you want with it. Ridiculous.

Darthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mirin2248 said:
@darthor said:

An even funnier assumption is that women's, or anyone's body for that matter, is really their own in literal sense. You can't use certain drugs in most countries. You can't use alcohol until certain age. You can't have sex until you hit puberty or reach certain age. You can't watch movies above PG until certain age. There are hundreds of regulations that we accept as a society that restrict our bodies from doing harm to ourselves and others. It's just funny to me that we only want to enforce that view when it comes to KILLING BABIES (yes, a fetus inside a woman is a baby before its born. It really is very hard to mistake THIS:

No Caption Provided

for a kidney or any other organ. It has its own blood, its own DNA, it's own heart rate, even its own brainwaves (consciousness) develop around week 6, before most woman are even aware of pregnancy. The propaganda around the subject is pretty insane. Especially that when a woman that WANTS her pregnancy to develop is assaulted and killed, the killer is charged for double homicide. In other words, if you want the baby, you treat it like a human legally and in every other way too, you sign to it, caress your belly, tell your friends about the name and sex of the baby, you laugh and cry from joy when it kicks you from the inside or gets the hiccups, you care for it and treat it like a human... But if you don't want it, you just cut it to pieces and throw into medical waste. This is the same double standard that was the cause of racism and slavery in the past. Because people of color were believed to be less evolved and not yet human, you can do whatever you want with them. And now, because the baby is less developed and not yet human, you can do whatever you want with it. Ridiculous.

Oh and the women who are killed in pregnancy's life doesn't matter? The women living in poverty who are starving and don't have resources to raise the baby doesn't matter?? You do realize for mothers who are relatively poor and can't access the healthcare resources we can are likely to be killed in pregnancy right? And they're raped and they don't want the babies. Even if I don't argue with you based on whether fetuses are lives, you are disregarding the lives of many people who don't have access to basic resources and force them to raise a baby with the potential risk of dying before then.

OH and I don't wanna debate about this I'm not living in the USA rn anyways so this doesn't affect me in any way plus when I do move back I'll be going to California but yea

No offense btw this is all my personal opinion u can hav ur own opinions I don't care

last0fth3risen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eredin12 said:

On top of other things you can also use, when you combine them, unwanted pregnancy after the sex would not occur much more than 99% of the time, and number of abortion requests, would be much lower than it is now . When it happens, it is usually result of you not doing some things right, meaning it is mistake on your part, perhaps you did not do enough research or rushed it all up , which is purely your fault at the end of the day , something you could and should have prevented . It is morally wrong to punish potential person for your own mistake. Even if there is no mistake at all on your part, if you did everything right( which would be very rare if you did) , it is still not fault of child. If your financial needs do not allow you to feed child , least you can do is give a baby to people and organizations who will care for it, adoption, just as Justice Amy Coney Barrett said.

There is great deal of difference between contraception and abortion, in former no potential person is even yet started in first place, nothing is harmed, no potential cut short, while in latter, potential life is already developing and you are stopping that and killing it. Is it conscious or not is not really valid , since it will be conscious very soon, unless you stop it from happening, while with contraception, nothing is even started yet.

As for things like rape, that is much more debatable topic than normal abortion , but when i think about it, i always think about one woman from same village as my grandmother , which my grand mother talked to me about when i was young. You see, she was raped and she refused to do an abortion despite people telling her to , she of course wished all worst to person who raped her( and indeed he did die rather brutally shortly after) but she refused to abort, claiming child is not at fault, that is most right option of course, but still i think i could at least consider an abortion in those special cases, even though i still think that adoption would be best option then as well. But in most cases, where as we know rape is not cause, it should simply not be allowed.

You are making an unwarranted assumption that everyone who engages in sex knows everything about contraception, which is absolutely not the case. A lot of young people having sex have no idea what they are doing, that is just a fact. You can advise an individual to "do the reaserch" and "not rush into it", and that's fine. But when dealing with millions of people, that just doesn't work, as far as reducing unwanted pregnancies is concerned.

Everybody makes mistakes, that's human nature. You would (presumably) not argue that a cancer patient should be denied treatment because they are a smoker. Or that a poor swimmer should be left to drown because they chose to jump in the pool. Or that a drug addict should not get help because they put themselves in that position. People make bad choices all the time, they don't need to be stuck with easily reversible consequences because some holier than thou person decided that they deserve it. They need effective solutions, and luckily, our medicine is good enough to provide them.

Then you say that even the people who did everything right should still suffer the consequences of the wrong choices they didn't even make. That's just wrong.

Adoption is not a solution. In the US, more than 250,000 kids are placed in foster care each year. Whereas, only about 135,000 are adopted annually, almost half of which is not even from the foster system. Now, there are more than 600,000 abortions a year in the US. That's more people than there are in foster care right now (424,000). The system simply can't handle this many extra people, no matter what any SCOTUS justice says.

Conception is a completely arbitrary line to draw. A zygote is not a person. There is no reason for us to care about its existence, other than its future potential (which the separated sex cells also have). From the perspective of the fetus, it makes no difference whether it was aborted or contracepted. It will never know either way, because it lacks a conscious experience.

That woman chose to keep the baby, that was her decision. Not everyone is going to make that decision and that should be respected.

Alisupo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think I need to say anything here.

BladeOfFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@last0fth3risen:

Adoption is not a solution. In the US, more than 250,000 kids are placed in foster care each year. Whereas, only about 135,000 are adopted annually, almost half of which is not even from the foster system. Now, there are more than 600,000 abortions a year in the US. That's more people than there are in foster care right now (424,000). The system simply can't handle this many extra people, no matter what any SCOTUS justice says.

Only 1 in 10 mothers who are denied abortion choose adoption, and those babies don't get placed in foster care - they go through a private agency where they all get adopted very quickly. The families waiting to adopt far outnumber the children in need of adoption, but the issue is that only a small portion of those families are interested in the 8 year olds in foster care. Infants, on the other hand, are extremely sought after, so the mother actually gets to handpick the adoptive family she thinks is best for her baby.

Marsz1pan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By Marsz1pan

Bruh.

It's Slavery that's worse.

Idc what ol girl is doing with her body across the street and I don't remember anything from when I was a fetus so honestly wouldn't matter if I had been aborted.

(Of note: I have a slight issue when your trying to abort at 6+ months preggo. Like how you not know you pregnant at that point pretty much a fully formed babies. Then again not my body)

ReaperTheGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:
@sigmavamp said:

@pandalumina said:

@sylviaanimenerd said:

Under slavery you can freely abort a baby at any stage. Not to mention kill any born baby, child, or adult.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I fail to see why abortion is worse when slavery has everything abortion has and more.

Edit: Someone told me I sound like I'm giving off an attitude in this post. I assure I am not. I just often come off as giving attitude when I'm not intending too.

But should that count in the argument. Do you consider killing a slave murder, if you do, then should that really be conflated with slavery by itself.

Avatar image for deactivated-638039c74e081
deactivated-638039c74e081

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pro choice which makes this a ridiculously easy choice for me. Slavery is much worse.

As for the abortion debate, it's unfortunately kinda pointless. Nobody who thinks of abortion as baby murder for convenience is coming down off that hill. I think they also ignore the difficult position women often find themselves in before having an abortion. I value bodily autonomy, and I find it a little unusual when the pro life side frames pregnancy after "deciding" to have sex as a "consequence." If you're pro life, it seems like you should be arguing about how precious life is, but that framing of consequences just makes it sound like the baby or pregnancy are a "punishment" for sleeping around. Rubs me the wrong way and seems logically contradictory to the stated goal, imo. Sex is one of the best parts of life, not just for reproduction. If you have an unintended pregnancy, I think it's a result of a mistake by definition, otherwise, the pregnancy would have been planned. Sometimes the best option to that mistake is an abortion. My take anyway.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:
@sigmavamp said:

@pandalumina said:

@sylviaanimenerd said:

But should that count in the argument. Do you consider killing a slave murder, if you do, then should that really be conflated with slavery by itself.

It would count towards the argument because if you were going through all the reasons of why slavery is bad the allowance killing would be one of them. Killing is one action among the group of what slavery encompasses.

Ben2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lotta reasons why people could abort tbh (rape, medical reasons, safety etc). It just kinda seems that abortion is glorified to the point where if you act dumb (one or both parties), abortion becomes a get-out-of-jail free card for people that do not want to be responsible for their actions. Other than that, slavery was/is worse imo.

SylviaAnimeNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthor said:
@sylviaanimenerd said:
@mirin2248 said:
@darthor said:

No Caption Provided

Oh and the women who are killed in pregnancy's life doesn't matter?

A life for life situation is obviously an exception, just like with any other murder. If your drowning and another person is pulling you down, drowning below you, you are free to kick that person in the face to save your life. It is basically self defense, and same goes for a woman that is about to die because of the baby. It has very little to do with the subject, 99.9% of abortions have nothing to do with that extreme situation.

The women living in poverty who are starving and don't have resources to raise the baby doesn't matter??

Bruh, just adopt the child away, there are never ending lines of people who can't have kids who want to adopt infants. Why would you murder another human because you are poor and can't take care of it? That makes no sense.

And they're raped and they don't want the babies.

Another 0.1% of the abortion cases, and also, like above, you can just adopt. Nobody forces you to be bound to a child for life.

Even if I don't argue with you based on whether fetuses are lives, you are disregarding the lives of many people who don't have access to basic resources and force them to raise a baby with the potential risk of dying before then.

I'm not sure why would we treat murder as a valid option to fight poverty, health care access or any other social difficulties. Is that what would you be willing to do with older people as well? If there's poverty in your city, just kill off homeless people? That kind of logic is straight disturbing to me.

last0fth3risen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eredin12said:

I did not say that they knew all about it , my point is that they needed to know about it , if they did not, that is purely their fault, they did not do enough research. Basic research is all that it would take , they all knew that after sex you can become pregnant, and they most likely also knew that there are way to prevent that, i myself knew this even when i was like 12, so they should have done more study on it and brought what was needed, if they did not, fault is with them, which is why that is not valid excuse to kill baby

It's not up to you to decide what everyone "has to" and "doesn't have to" know. People are different. Some grow up in conservative families, where it's taboo to even ask questions about sex, some get answers from the wrong sources, and fall under bad influences, some don't even think about it that hard. It's very naive to assume that everyone has access to the same information, and is equally likely to seek it out.

It is not "human nature" to make such stupid mistakes no, i for one would never do it, nor i would i take self destroying drugs such as Heroin and jump into deep water without knowing to swim first. That is just stupid thing to do. And this is not just me, i am sure most people would also not do the same thing . Are we less human as result? Now of course we all do make mistakes, but more in sense of our work for instance or even some in our friend ships if you will, but when it comes to these stupid " mistakes"? I am sure most people are to smart for that.

Millions of people have done drugs. Are they all just stupid in your estimation? Or could their behavior be influenced by circumstances? Doing drugs may be unthinkable to you, but you can't expect everyone to have the same perspective. Those mistakes are far more common that you make them seem, and it's really not a matter of how smart you are.

Your analogies are also bit misplaced, when we try to save cancer patient who was smoker his entire life, moron who jumped into deep water without knowing to swim or even drug addict, we are not hurting anyone, we are not killing any life, we are just trying to save existing one. Did some of those we are trying to save do stupid things ? Sure, but that is not enough to deserve death, especially when saving them is not hurting anyone else. But when it comes to abortion, murder is not right choice, if you do not wish baby, all you need to do is adopt it, as people and Justice Coney said, you pretty do not even need to see baby if you do not wish, do your nine months, adopt baby, and it would also serve as lesson not do do same thing in the future.

"holier than thou" is also misplaced, if that is counter for us expecting basic morality then why not enforce anarchy and let people kill whoever they wish ?

You are not advocating for "basic morality", you are advocating for people to be punished with what can be described as literal torture for daring to have sex for pleasure. You said that even if they used birth control and it failed, they should still be forced to pay the price, because they are somehow responsible. That's without question punishing the innocent.

Not suffer, if they do not wish baby, they can just adopt it without almost even seeing it really, but life of a baby matters more than them their luxury after they were responsible for that baby being created in the first place

Childbirth hurts. Like a lot. It's some of the greatest pain many people ever experience. Pregnancy also permanently alters your body. And this doesn't get talked about enough, but there are studies showing that unwanted pregnancies can give people PTSD. No one should be subjected to any of that against their will.

It is life, which will become future person very fast unless you intervene and stop it, that is why we should care, conscious does not matter at all, it is not what gives value to life when we know that it will become conscious very fast if not for you. And with conception, you do not kill anyone, you simply stop life from even being made in the first place.

No more than any other killing should, we should respect her decision to keep baby or adapt it instantly, but not to kill it, after she started process of creating it in the first place.

Consciousness is exactly what gives life value. Without it, you as a person don't exist. What will happen in the future may or may not happen, we can't obsess over it to the point of ignoring our present needs. If potential life really outweighed the "comfort" of the woman, then rape would be justified, because it maximizes potential life. But obvioualy you don't think that, so you conveniently draw the line at conception (even though there is no good reason to do so). You say, that's when life begins but it doesn't. Two living things combine at conception. Whether it goes any further depends on the woman, as it's happening in her body. And it doesn't harm anyone, if she chooses to stop it, because there is no one to harm. Not yet. A woman's choice to not have sex results in the exact same outcome for the child, as her choice to have an abortion. Zero distinction from the child's perspective. So why is one less moral than the other?