Avatar image for life_without_progress
#1 Posted by Life_Without_Progress (24646 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

^ Self explanatory title.

You're in the shoes of Blake Langermann in Outlast 2 or Ethan Winters in Resident Evil 7.

#2 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, RE 7 is way scarier and more horrible but in the end he got the happy ending. I can't say the same for Outlast 2.

#3 Posted by Life_Without_Progress (24646 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:

Well, RE 7 is way scarier and more horrible but in the end he got the happy ending. I can't say the same for Outlast 2.

That depends on whether you chose Mia or Zoe, though, but I see where you're coming from.

#4 Posted by gunmetalgrey (4747 posts) - - Show Bio

Do we have to go through the motions of the entire plot and follow the gameplay mechanics or are we just dropped into the same situation they started out in and get to go about it like normal people?

#5 Posted by Life_Without_Progress (24646 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by gunmetalgrey (4747 posts) - - Show Bio

@life_without_progress: Oh, then Outlast, easily.

My opponents would be human and now I can actually fight or kill them. Also, I'd rather be free to roam around and do things my way than be stuck on some booby-trapped property crawling with regenerating monsters.

And if at some point (before the mines) I decide to just give up, I can just take a hike out of the area and find help. That would probably be the smarter choice than staying and letting that bright light and radio frequency make me insane. I can always remarry.

Avatar image for echostarlord117
#7 Posted by echostarlord117 (5617 posts) - - Show Bio

Seeing as the protagonist in RE: 7 is straight up superhuman, I'd go with him. Plus, in my opinion, the Outlast II scenario is far scarier, with RE: 7 being almost comical at times. Then again, RE: 7 is way more disgusting. I dunno, both would suck big time.

Avatar image for mylittlefascist
#8 Posted by MyLittleFascist (31719 posts) - - Show Bio

@life_without_progress: Oh, then Outlast, easily.

My opponents would be human and now I can actually fight or kill them. Also, I'd rather be free to roam around and do things my way than be stuck on some booby-trapped property crawling with regenerating monsters.

And if at some point (before the mines) I decide to just give up, I can just take a hike out of the area and find help. That would probably be the smarter choice than staying and letting that bright light and radio frequency make me insane. I can always remarry.

LOL

#9 Edited by JwwProd (20861 posts) - - Show Bio

System Shock 2

Avatar image for deactivated-5ab47f6017f34
#10 Posted by deactivated-5ab47f6017f34 (3189 posts) - - Show Bio

@jwwprod: shodan is more terrifying than both together

#11 Posted by theacidskull (22012 posts) - - Show Bio

I think realistically I'd have a far better chance fighting religious fanatics than immortal science rejects honestly. Besides the main guy in RE7 is beyond anything I'm capable of. Motherf****r had his hand chopped off and reattached in a matter of hours as I recall.

#12 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by theacidskull (22012 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:

@theacidskull: All done via goop juice lmao.

Still though. Immortal being that are almost impossible to kill and require SPECIFIC weapons to kill beyond regular sharp object? crew that.

#14 Edited by gunmetalgrey (4747 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: There's still one major problem I see with the Outlast 2 scenario, which is the device that gradually makes you go insane. Though I guess since we already know about that, you could choose to take out the radio towers first before doing the wife-saving thing.

#15 Posted by kgb725 (19207 posts) - - Show Bio

@gunmetalgrey: It would be easier in Outlast probably but there's No way you're just gonna kill fight and kill Marta easily

#16 Posted by gunmetalgrey (4747 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725: Sure there is. She's super strong but not exactly super durable and not at all that fast. We already know she's susceptible to piercing damage at least. Not much of a problem with all the farm implements around, though it will probably take time.

#17 Edited by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

@life_without_progress said:
@khael said:

That depends on whether you chose Mia or Zoe, though, but I see where you're coming from.

Any person in the right mind would pick his wife instead of random chick he just met.

#18 Edited by Life_Without_Progress (24646 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:

Any person in the right mind would pick his wife instead of random chick he just met.

Some folks like to play games multiple times for replay value.

#19 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:

Some folks like to play games twice for multiple endings.

We're talking about real scenario here, right? They were probably just curious as gamers. No one in the right mind would pick Zoe in that kind of situation. I mean, he's been through all of those stuffs just because he wanted his wife back.

#20 Edited by Dark_Stranger (372 posts) - - Show Bio

So either Outlast or FEAR er I mean Silent Hill 2 er no I mean Texas Chainsaw ... oh wait that's not right either, hmm what was it again .... Evil Dead? No? Hmm ... SAW??? No? Blair Witch? Nah! Eh .... Outlast with a gun? Oh right!!! Resident Evil 7! Wait? Why'd they call it that? It's not even a Resident Evil game in any way, and it sucks in every way, plus not even scary.

Neither of them are. Nor do they make sense.

But if I'm having to choose. I'd go with the Not Resident Evil game. Why? Cause of the beginning. In the beginning I'm cruising in a nice mustang and can just easily say to hell with this, turn around and go to the police or somebody and report the fact that a "dead" woman on a missing cruise vessel from 3 years ago has suddenly reappeared an with a location, thus sending proper people to handle the situation while I can go off someplace an have a good time.

Outlast on the other hand? I crash into a hostile area where I'm stuck around a bunch of whacked out a-holes, and sure I could just try and escape for help, but mind you that's a long trek through probably miles worth of wild woodlands with a good chance of meeting Smokey the Bear's not so nice cousin, if not just getting lost altogether.

So if your having to choose between cruising down the highway in a sweet car or getting lost in bear country with whacked out religious a-holes. The car for me is a win-win all the time.

Avatar image for the_thereminist
#22 Posted by The_Thereminist (381 posts) - - Show Bio

Both simultaneously in some weird merger of universes.

#23 Edited by DoctorDaMn (938 posts) - - Show Bio

@life_without_progress: @khael: I know this is about a year and a half too late but, this is one of my biggest pet peeves regarding this game and its fans; if you think about it, anyone in there right mind would actually take zoe...

Zoe (an innocent btw) had done nothing but help you up until this point. Whether for her sake or not, she not only helped you kill her own parents but also legit risked her life by saving yours via re-attaching your arm that Jack cut off. Also, as Ethan said, she knew her way around the bayou. Disregarding evelin, she was the best chance they had at surviving.

Meanwhile, Mia (a horrible person based on the fact that she worked for people that played god and created a bio weapon, who was also a little girl that aged worse than a dog, that just wanted a family mind you) lied to you, her spouse about her occupation, and also tried to kill you earlier. (Even though that last bit wasn't her fault. Hell, that could have just been a hallucination; I can't recall)

In short, Zoe had done nothing wrong and Mia had done nothing right...

(Forgive my grammatical errors btw)

#24 Edited by Life_Without_Progress (24646 posts) - - Show Bio

@doctordamn: That was my train of thought, too. A personal attachment to a human time bomb or saving someone you didn't know but who never did anything wrong as far as you know.

#25 Posted by DoctorDaMn (938 posts) - - Show Bio

@life_without_progress: Exactly; I was generally baffled when I found out that zoe was the bad ending and Mia the good...

At least something good came from it; I finally got the breakdown (original xbox) remake I always wanted in the form of end of Zoe...