User Lists: 0

M4

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Ooookay, I will ATTEMPT to not let my MASSIVE personal bias for my sweet baby the M4 sway me TOO much buuuuttttt...

• Notice the nice coal black finish on the M4 as opposed to that pewter looking finish on the CAR 15?
  • The handy dandy read sight adjusts on the M4?
  • The longer barrel length on the M4, as opposed to the little flash suppressor on the CAR 15 that sort of makes it looks like a kid's toy?
  • The very comfortable middle finger rest on the M4 that helps it keep from slipping out of your hand when said hand is sweaty (oh say if you're in the jungle, desert, or just plain hauling ass?)
  • The nice, sturdy, metal rear sling mount on the bottom of the M4 stock, as opposed to that (admittedly hard) plastic slat sling mount on top of the CAR 15 that can break or bend much more easily?
  • Notice the forward assist (that thing that sort of looks like a plunger sticking out just behind the ejection port) that can help seat a round that has gotten stuck from carbon due to lots of firing, leaves, twigs, or sand?
  • (you can't actually see it from this view) And the raised, "boxed in" magazine ejector button on the other side of the weapon that helps you eject your magazine by feel?

I mean, just the finish makes it "look" better, but pretty is as pretty does in MY book baby!

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HeroUp2112

@ganon15:

I'm not sure if I was too subtle about this, but I REAAALLLYYY like the M4. :)

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

M4

Avatar image for deactivated-5bc57690a1c7d
deactivated-5bc57690a1c7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rockette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Belt-fed "Valkyrie" CAR-15 = WINNER!

:)

Cosmic_Templar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

M4 stomps.

Avatar image for don_higashikata
Don_Higashikata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

M4 would win but shame about the ugly ass stock. CAR looks more compact tbh

Avatar image for staticspeedster
StaticSpeedster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 2

Loading Video...

M4.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a84a212043e5
deactivated-5a84a212043e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the Car-15 doesn't look as well maintained, but that might be due to its age if its original.

Lord_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

M4.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ganon15:

Ah, yeah. I hadn't considered that the XM series were still basically considered in the CAR series. Yeah the XM's had comparable barrel length too, but still didn't have improved M16A2 type barrels (since those were just in the development stages anyway) with the 1 to 7 twist.

I still have my nice list of all the other ways the M4 kicks the CAR's butt though, so ppppttttthhhh :)

Seriously though, that's why they make new model's of things, is to (theoretically anyway) to improve on previous designs. I'm under no illusions that there are better carbines now than the M4, I just have a major personal bias. :)

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HeroUp2112

the Car-15 doesn't look as well maintained, but that might be due to its age if its original.

No, I don't know why but that's how (most versions of) the CAR 15s and M16A1's (Vietnam Era) looked out of the box for some reason. I don't know this for SURE, but I'm pretty sure the "bluing" process (the finish that protects the weapon from rust and such) was different back then.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb6c77c8d900
deactivated-5fb6c77c8d900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I like them both

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 the_red_viper  Moderator

@heroup2112: About the forward assist, is it allowed to use in the US army? In the IDF it isn't. When the gun is jammed and a round isn't put to place properly, forcing it into place and pulling the trigger could result in something that we call (in rough translation) "barrel burst", I don't know the term for it in English but I'm sure you know what I mean.

That being said, the M4 is my favorite rifle too :)

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

M4

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: About the forward assist, is it allowed to use in the US army? In the IDF it isn't. When the gun is jammed and a round isn't put to place properly, forcing it into place and pulling the trigger could result in something that we call (in rough translation) "barrel burst", I don't know the term for it in English but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Odd, I've never heard of that happening outside of once when it happened with a friend's pistol that was a result of a faulty round. I've honestly never heard of a term for it. I've used the forward assist a few times (though almost exclusively in the desert) with magazine feed problems where the round failed to seat fully (almost always due to lubricant becoming a tiny bit viscous from...I assume... the environment, because I cleaned my freakin' weapon four or five times a day lol).

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 the_red_viper  Moderator

@the_red_viper said:

Odd, I've never heard of that happening outside of once when it happened with a friend's pistol that was a result of a faulty round. I've honestly never heard of a term for it. I've used the forward assist a few times (though almost exclusively in the desert) with magazine feed problems where the round failed to seat fully (almost always due to lubricant becoming a tiny bit viscous from...I assume... the environment, because I cleaned my freakin' weapon four or five times a day lol).

Like here:

Loading Video...

Amnesiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

M4

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112 said:
@the_red_viper said:

Like here:

Loading Video...

lol That dude was just an idiot. That wasn't failure to seat...he clearly seated it and the pin struck the primer several times. The round was either had a bad primer (which they mentioned), there was a defect in the round (they ejected and put in a new round so that wasn't the issue), or there was a chamber or barrel blockage/defect of some sort). Firing the weapon after the first misfire was IDIOTIC and also not what the forward assist is for.

You only use the forward assist if (for some unusual reason...like with the few times I mentioned, and i recleaned my weapon as soon as possible after the fact) the bolt does not move all the way forward to seat the round into the chamber.

On an Army range, if you get a misfire you're actually supposed to lay the weapon down and call over a Range Safety Officer to clear and inspect the weapon. When someone is shooting at you things get a little less strict and I'll risk the possibility or a "barrel burst" though I still would worry about it if I misfired more than once.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 the_red_viper  Moderator

@heroup2112:

On an Army range, if you get a misfire you're actually supposed to lay the weapon down and call over a Range Safety Officer to clear and inspect the weapon. When someone is shooting at you things get a little less strict and I'll risk the possibility or a "barrel burst" though I still would worry about it if I misfired more than once.

Yeah I know. In the IDF, if you get a misfire at a shooting range you take out the mag, cock the weapon twice to try and clear anything that might have gotten stuck in it, and try again. If that doesn't work then you lay it down and get an officer, or better yet a certified weaponer. In a battlefield if your rifle misfires the procedure is the same (clip out, cock twice). If that doesn't work you have to improvise, and yeah I guess the forward assist could be helpful but only if you're certain there's nothing in the chamber that can risk a "barrel burst".

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RisingBean

I'm partial to the M-4 myself. Spent a lot of time with one.

GorillaShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By GorillaShark

M4 looks way better.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

M4

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The M4.

LannibleHecter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What about a Jericho 941 vs anything?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b84aca03eae8
deactivated-5b84aca03eae8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

M4 is a better designed gun, obviously, its far newer and learned from feedback from its predecessors, however, I like the more metallic look of the CAR-15. That M4 picture has too much of a 'plastic' feel for me.

deathstroke512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

M4 is like the best ever.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Modern day.

Avatar image for proteusxmanrxis
ProteusXManRxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

M4.

jonjizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i guess i'm a weirdo i like the top one better (but i know nothing of guns so maybe that's why)