Which cult would scare you more, The King Paimon Cult or The Hårga?

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Which cult would scare you more, The King Paimon Cult or The Hårga?

Both cults are the main antagonists of Ari Aster's films, "Hereditary" and "Midsommar", respectively and both cults practice some highly... unorthodox practices. Demonic spiritual possessions, Celebrated elderly suicide, emotional manipulation of outsiders, murder etc. Given what you know of the cults from their respective movies. Which do you think would you have higher chances of suffering a terrible death from?

Divyansh13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What do each of them do? More explanation please?

Avatar image for deactivated-60758db60e021
deactivated-60758db60e021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Okay I'm currently taking a break from CV (which will continue for some time) but this is a topic about two movies I love, the latter of which I've thought a lot about, and so I will comment on this thread.

I think it's safe to say that if I was an actual victim of either cult, the Paimon Cult would be far more terrifying. And there's a few reasons for this. The first is that they are an actual supernatural cult that can summon demonic forces. Secondly, and more importantly, the Paimon Cult did not brainwash their victims like the Harga. They emotionally tormented Peter until he was vulnerable enough for possession.

That being said, from an audience member's perspective, I find the Harga far more disturbing for two main reasons. The first reason is that the Harga are a great example of how cults operate in real life in terms of brainwashing and isolating potential members from the outside world. Secondly, Aster's depiction of the Harga clearly demonstrates the allure of neofascism. I could talk a lot about this aspect of Midsommar, but I don't want to spend too much time here, so here's a great video essay that discusses it at length. I highly recommend checking it out.

Also, both are fantastic films, and Midsommar is no doubt amongst my all-time favourite films of any genre.